DVCA Best Bat/Bowler you have seen?

Tongs

DVCA Best Bat/Bowler you have seen?

We have all seen some very good cricketers come through "The Valley" over the years. Some have been around for years, some come and go. But who were you in awe with, watching their class.

I, like a lot of players have come up through the grades, so this thread is NOT about just A Grade cricketer's! This is also for those little known middle and lower grade players.

I'll throw up some of the names of guys that I have the utmost respect for:

My Club
* Mark Minney (A Grade Eltham) Perfect Crickter
* John Bubis (A Grade Eltham) Freak
* Geoff Thompson (A-E Grade) Run Machine, Wicket taker
* Ben Luker (B-C Grade) One of the leading Wicket takers at Eltham

Others
* Topham (A Grade Epping) Never seen a bloke hit the ball so hard

* Pavey (A grade Plenty) Class

* Chris Callanan ( I played against him in C Grade, Riverside) Screwed me every time!

* Attimaca (A bloke from Lalor Stars can't remember his name C Grade) Very Handy, strong competitor

Re: DVCA Best Bat/Bowler you have seen?

Tongs;280158 said:
We have all seen some very good cricketers come through "The Valley" over the years. Some have been around for years, some come and go. But who were you in awe with, watching their class.

I, like a lot of players have come up through the grades, so this thread is NOT about just A Grade cricketer's! This is also for those little known middle and lower grade players.

My Club

Others

* Chris Callanan ( I played against him in C Grade, Riverside) Screwed me every time!

* Attimaca (A bloke from Lalor Stars can't remember his name C Grade) Very Handy, strong competitor
Ben Luker dosn't have enough care about his cricket, sure he could be a good player if he applied himself. But to list him as one of the blokes you have the utmost respect for, please give me a break.

I agree Icey, Tongs you started a good thread here but let yourself down placing Ben in the list.

Probably at your club you missed D. Quinlan (C-F Grade) Handy wicketkeeper and 7th drop.

THE ICEMAN;280185 said:
Ben Luker dosn't have enough care about his cricket, sure he could be a good player if he applied himself. But to list him as one of the blokes you have the utmost respect for, please give me a break.

Personal opinion Iceman! If you read the thread, and the sentence I wrote that YOU quoted. It says that I (not you) have the utmost respect for him. He is one of the all time leading wicket takers at our club.

You will not play with a bloke that wears his club on his sleeve more than this guy. He would die for the Club. He has something you can't teach someone. Heart. And thats why I respect him so much!

Your thoughts are not important when it comes to my respect for people.

CowCorner;280193 said:
I agree Icey, Tongs you started a good thread here but let yourself down placing Ben in the list.

Probably at your club you missed D. Quinlan (C-F Grade) Handy wicketkeeper and 7th drop.

Mr Hall, at least I am the best cricketer in my family!

LegB4;280197 said:
Ali Mohammod - temporary Lalor Stars import :eek:

L.I.G.H.T.N.I.N.G

I agree Ali was a gun, The best game of cricket I have ever seen Stars V Whittlesea that year in the semi. Two gun bowlers going hell for leather.

The best cricketer I have ever played with is Terry Keays by a mile...And a top bloke as well...

Tongs;280198 said:
Personal opinion Iceman! If you read the thread, and the sentence I wrote that YOU quoted. It says that I (not you) have the utmost respect for him. He is one of the all time leading wicket takers at our club.

You will not play with a bloke that wears his club on his sleeve more than this guy. He would die for the Club. He has something you can't teach someone. Heart. And thats why I respect him so much!

Tongs, OK thats your opinion and he may be a good clubman but your thread was best bat/bowler ever seen and then went onto name a cast.

Best clubman/heart on sleeve thread can be started if you want mate

Tongs;280200 said:
Mr Hall, at least I am the best cricketer in my family!

At least I am playing Dave. Or are the rumours true, Eltham may have a comeback to save the day.

CowCorner;280204 said:
Tongs, OK thats your opinion and he may be a good clubman but your thread was best bat/bowler ever seen and then went onto name a cast.

Best clubman/heart on sleeve thread can be started if you want mate

You are as bad as Iceman. Read the thread, this is NOT all about the A Grade guys that always get the lime light. Look at the other blokes that make our comp so good. In the lower grades, there are a lot of good cricketers going around without being guns!

The Wizz;280203 said:
I agree Ali was a gun, The best game of cricket I have ever seen Stars V Whittlesea that year in the semi. Two gun bowlers going hell for leather.

The best cricketer I have ever played with is Terry Keays by a mile...And a top bloke as well...

Wizz, I reckon you may find that Keaysey will appear here a few more times. Agree one of te all time great DVCA players.

CowCorner;280206 said:
At least I am playing Dave. Or are the rumours true, Eltham may have a comeback to save the day.

Keep it on topic. Come on "Mod" set an example!

Tongs;280207 said:
You are as bad as Iceman. Read the thread, this is NOT all about the A Grade guys that always get the lime light. Look at the other blokes that make our comp so good. In the lower grades, there are a lot of good cricketers going around without being guns!

Righto mate, your title may have confused people.

Remember that your opinions and others may differ that does not make them wrong, just relax buddy.

I know Ben (as you know) and so do many others that have played against him, he does play with his heart on his sleeve but IMO he is far from one of the greats in BR or below.

Tongs;280158 said:

My Club

Others

A few more names you can throw in there guys.
Terry Keays, the Glynn boys, Mark Maxwell, Peter Candy (the original princess) and Peter Hayden.

Tongs;280198 said:

That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. Tell me did he or did he not play in a GRAND FINAL last year. Now someone who wears their heart on their sleeve or would die for their club would do this, after all it is the most important game of the year. Obviously you are easily impressed so stop with the crap.

Old man Stan Apostola would have to be in this list. Personally I've only caught him at the twilight end of his career, and the stuff he does with the ball still amazes me. I can just imagine what he was doing 25yrs ago.

- 340+ games (mostly 1st XI)
- 4600+ runs @ 21.10
- 820+ wickets @ 16.90

He is still bamboozling blokes despite being aged 45-50. Won the Money Reserve Competition bowling average last year with 40 wickets @ 9.90, and is leading again this season with 16 wickets @ 10.50. Absolute champion!

bigcricket007;280758 said:
Old man Stan Apostola would have to be in this list. Personally I've only caught him at the twilight end of his career, and the stuff he does with the ball still amazes me. I can just imagine what he was doing 25yrs ago.

- 340+ games (mostly 1st XI)
- 4600+ runs @ 21.10
- 820+ wickets @ 16.90

He is still bamboozling blokes despite being aged 45-50. Won the Money Reserve Competition bowling average last year with 40 wickets @ 9.90, and is leading again this season with 16 wickets @ 10.50. Absolute champion!

Thats a fair call Steve, Stan in his day was and still is a great cricketer. Its guys like Stan that keep our great game going!!!

Back