Dvca - C Grade And Below - Season 2011/12

Theres 108 teams in the whole of the DVCA (Seniors). Of all those sides, only 2 of them are undefeated. Yet you think they are not that flash?

If they are not near enough to a "lock", I don't know what is.....

Finals are a funny game Tongs, anything happens. They may have taken the foot off the pedal and not cared about a loss, as they are clear by miles on top, and would explain a very ordinary set of shots to get out.
I think that if Peterson and Andrews dont get the runs, a lot of blokes start searching for who's stepping up.

Well Tongs they certainly weren't that flash on Saturday. 4 bowled and 1 LBW from the top 5, one of which was a bloke trying to hit one into the lake off middle stump. 3 others out caught trying to smash it over the top as well. Perhaps they just had no respect for our bowlers, but if they (or any team for that matter) bat as they did on the weekend in the upcoming finals, then they're nowhere near lock in.

I'll also add that we weren't short of drops either; 1 skied over point, 1 hit straight to short cover, 1 by the keeper, 1 by gully and 2 by Mr Unity here lol.

Well Tongs they certainly weren't that flash on Saturday. 4 bowled and 1 LBW from the top 5, one of which was a bloke trying to hit one into the lake off middle stump. 3 others out caught trying to smash it over the top as well. Perhaps they just had no respect for our bowlers, but if they (or any team for that matter) bat as they did on the weekend in the upcoming finals, then they're nowhere near lock in.

I'll also add that we weren't short of drops either; 1 skied over point, 1 hit straight to short cover, 1 by the keeper, 1 by gully and 2 by Mr Unity here lol.

I find it very odd that both you guys seem to look at it that Mill Park were bad, rather than pumping up your own boys for having a good day.

Interesting to note: Mill Park have bowled in 13 innings this year. Of those, teams have only made over 157 twice, so regardless of them having a "Not flash" day, looking at history (being undefeated and how strong their bowling is).

Add in the BU season of being very very hit or miss - either making next to nothing (Under 150), or massive scores, and it shows that MP are still a massive chance of them going through the season undefeated.

I will happily call them a lock to win, and happy to have a wager??

A good day with the ball it was, but they did bat poorly and to say otherwise would be dilluding ourselves. You need not tell me how our batting has gone since I've played all but 1 game in B grade this year and we sure as hell haven't made the runs yet. No wager from me, I only gamble with my life.

I find it very odd that both you guys seem to look at it that Mill Park were bad, rather than pumping up your own boys for having a good day.

Interesting to note: Mill Park have bowled in 13 innings this year. Of those, teams have only made over 157 twice, so regardless of them having a "Not flash" day, looking at history (being undefeated and how strong their bowling is).

Add in the BU season of being very very hit or miss - either making next to nothing (Under 150), or massive scores, and it shows that MP are still a massive chance of them going through the season undefeated.

I will happily call them a lock to win, and happy to have a wager??

We bowled superbly Tongs, as we expected we would have to against an undefeated 1's side. They threw their wicket away very cheaply and that is fine if they ad switched off for a game, but I did see some signs of weakness.
We'll get the runs, and the extra 15 they got after I dropped number 10 twice.

We bowled superbly Tongs, as we expected we would have to against an undefeated 1's side. They threw their wicket away very cheaply and that is fine if they ad switched off for a game, but I did see some signs of weakness.
We'll get the runs, and the extra 15 they got after I dropped number 10 twice.

Thats better. Good to see that it took someone who has been captain of the side 3 posts before actually saying something positive about his own team, rather than bagging the opposition. So you're saying that you have to get to 15 before you have even contributed to your side winning this week?

Thats better. Good to see that it took someone who has been captain of the side 3 posts before actually saying something positive about his own team, rather than bagging the opposition. So you're saying that you have to get to 15 before you have even contributed to your side winning this week?

After not getting any wickets and then dropping 2 catches, it is the least I could do.

Went to the Vic/Qld one day final last night. I may be finished as far as fielding is concerned for the year. But I can tell you one thing I won't be doing despite whatver my captain tells me to, that is encourage/support the bowler while fielding. In a situation where you could hear just about everything at the ground, encouraging/supporting the bowlers was something I barely heard. There was a bit of it, but it wasn't the be all, end all some captains make it out to be. The players just went about their business with little fuss, no ******* trying to be heard, as if the batsmen gives a ****. Encouraging/supporting bowlers still doesn't stop them from bowling short and/or down leg. Nope, from now on, if a bowler wants encouragement/support, they ought to start doing something that deserves it, like bowling well.

Went to the Vic/Qld one day final last night. I may be finished as far as fielding is concerned for the year. But I can tell you one thing I won't be doing despite whatver my captain tells me to, that is encourage/support the bowler while fielding. In a situation where you could hear just about everything at the ground, encouraging/supporting the bowlers was something I barely heard. There was a bit of it, but it wasn't the be all, end all some captains make it out to be. The players just went about their business with little fuss, no ******* trying to be heard, as if the batsmen gives a ****. Encouraging/supporting bowlers still doesn't stop them from bowling short and/or down leg. Nope, from now on, if a bowler wants encouragement/support, they ought to start doing something that deserves it, like bowling well.

Surely you are taking the mickey!!
At that level, encouragement for the bowler and getting into the batsmens head, is pointless. They are professional sportsman. It is the lower level cricketers (us) who need to do the little things. In a game of our skill level, clearly below state, a players mind can drift and be distracted very easily.
Being in the zone, and not letting the little things like a poor delivery, rash shot or a little niggle from the opposition turn you off your game is one of the major things that makes players be able to take the next step up in class.
How often do you see a player in our comp throw his wicket away the next ball after a poor shot, with the oppostion getting into his head, or a bowler drop the next one shorter after being hit for four.

Morning Tongs, first to say that the Mill Park boys totally dominated us on the weekend, and deserve their spot on the top of the ladder.

Nup.

At that level, encouragement for the bowler and getting into the batsmens head, is pointless. They are professional sportsman. It is the lower level cricketers (us) who need to do the little things. In a game of our skill level, clearly below state, a players mind can drift and be distracted very easily.
Yeah, and?

Being in the zone, and not letting the little things like a poor delivery, rash shot or a little niggle from the opposition turn you off your game is one of the major things that makes players be able to take the next step up in class.
Typically, good bowlers should be able to figure it out for themselves. Junior players might be better off with a quiet word away from the field.

How often do you see a player in our comp throw his wicket away the next ball after a poor shot,
I don't notice it. I do notice how often a batsman throws his wicket after playing a good shot.

with the oppostion getting into his head, or a bowler drop the next one shorter after being hit for four.
Wrong! Who gets out as a result of some rubbish the losers in the field are saying? Tbh, it doesn't take much for the bowler to drop it short. It's pretty hard to be a good bowler.[/quote]

Nup.

Yeah, and?

Typically, good bowlers should be able to figure it out for themselves. Junior players might be better off with a quiet word away from the field.

I don't notice it. I do notice how often a batsman throws his wicket after playing a good shot.

Wrong! Who gets out as a result of some rubbish the losers in the field are saying? Tbh, it doesn't take much for the bowler to drop it short. It's pretty hard to be a good bowler.
[/quote]

Congratulations on what has to be the worst post of the season.

Complete and utter tripe.

Here we, go. A bloke who's done **** all on this thread, is now boosting his posts with any ****. As if to make out he gives a **** about lower grades. No counter points, just a slap over my head. No examples of his expriences to back up WanderingUnity. Mind you, there's nothing to back up, it's my experience of playing. There's nothing of any substance. I suppose I may've been wrong in wanting other blokes to contribute. It seems I would've been better of talking to myself.

Nup.

Yeah, and?

Wrong! Who gets out as a result of some rubbish the losers in the field are saying? Tbh, it doesn't take much for the bowler to drop it short. It's pretty hard to be a good bowler.
[/quote]
I'll pass on any retort as I don't know what you are on about with these quips. Makes no sense.

Well done. You got on the front foot, so I won't give you the stick that I probably could.
Tongs, I will add that I do hope that they don't win the flag, and I know that their players will be reading this and will spur them on.
Reason being that the club was seen to do the wrong thing last season with multiple off field indiscretions, and was punished. If punishment is being sent to a lower grade to beat up on 2nd XI sides and win a premiership, then come straight back up to Money with confidence, then I am not seeing clearly.

I'll pass on any retort as I don't know what you are on about with these quips. Makes no sense.
I'll try again.

No.

At that level, encouragement for the bowler and getting into the batsmens head, is pointless.
Yes

They are professional sportsman.
Yes they are.

It is the lower level cricketers (us) who need to do the little things. In a game of our skill level, clearly below state, a players mind can drift and be distracted very easily.
You might have to expand on this. Are you saying calling out support for te bowler is a little thing? Because I'd say it's meaningless, particulary if the bowler doesn't react straight away. To a pace bowler, gaining or regaining control of the ball makes the difference (as opposed to team mates "supporting" him). With a pace bowler, I would suggest not trying so hard with the run up for an over or two and focus on releasing the ball with some control. That and/or bowl cross seam. Yelling out in support? Does nothing.

Are you talking about bowlers, or all players in general?

How often do you see a player in our comp throw his wicket away the next ball after a poor shot,
Not often enough to notice, if they do at all. I do often see a batsman throw his wicket away once he has played a couple of big shots and has his confidence up.

with the oppostion getting into his head,
I have never seen that. I have never been "psyched out" by the opposition fielders, I have never heard a team mate say similar, when asked how they went out. Nor have I ever felt we, the fielders, psyched out an opposition batsman.

or a bowler drop the next one shorter after being hit for four.
That may happen, but bowlers usually drop one short eventually anyway..

Tongs, I will add that I do hope that they don't win the flag, and I know that their players will be reading this and will spur them on.
Reason being that the club was seen to do the wrong thing last season with multiple off field indiscretions, and was punished. If punishment is being sent to a lower grade to beat up on 2nd XI sides and win a premiership, then come straight back up to Money with confidence, then I am not seeing clearly.

I completely understand where you're coming from. It's a hard situation. They completely deserved to be punished, and most people thought that it was an extremely tough punishment. But you're right, it's meant that they were able to go through the year knowing they are a class above. But what could the DVCA have done? Taken points off them as well? Being punished is one thing, raped and pillaged is another. I'm not sure what the best punishment could have been.

Righteo, E grade semis. Match-ups are as follows...

(1) Riverside vs Banyule (4)

(2) Diamond Creek vs Heidelberg (3)

Unfortunately for us, we lost to all 4 sides during the season. Got belted by Riverside, Diamond Creek and Heidelberg, in what was preety much the same game. They bat first, score about 250. We bat, all out for around 140. I played in those 3 games. I did not play in the one-dayer at the start of the season where Banyule won.

Ok, despite being ranked 3rd, I going to say Heidelberg are the best team in the grade. They've got the most wins, were only two points off the top of the ladder, Riverside and DC benefiting from outright wins. Outright wins, I'd say, are more circumstantial, rather than an indictor of form. As it turns out the only loss Heidelberg had for the season was against Riverside. However, that loss was as a result of a bloke who had a day out and scored 149. Were they to meet up again, he won't get anywhere near it.

1st semi - Riverside vs Banyule

Harder of the semis to give a preview. I didn't play against Banyule in rd1, I think it was, and we played Riverside in rd3. However, Riverside often field competitive team in most grades they play and often are a good batting team. The ladder also suggests Riverside are a distinctly better team, so I would expect the natural course of events to lead to a Riverside win. Good for them if they do, some of those blokes were in a terrible loss against Thommo in the G grade final a couple of years ago. A good opportunity to redeem themselves.

Brian's tip - Riverside

2nd semi - Diamond Creek vs Heidelberg

A far easier game to preview. Thommo were scheduled to play these two in the 3rd last and last round of the season, at our ground. The just happend to be my last two games for the season as well. As i said before, both teams smashed us, but there was a distinct difference in the way the result was achieved. Heidelberg were matter of fact about about it. They came without a fuss, they kicked our arse without a fuss, they left without a fuss. They were pretty solid with the bat and accumulated a big score. With the ball, they were solid as well. There's was nothing particularly scary about their bowlers. But at this level, it's which team is less **** that wins. Heidelberg are...solid. Therefore they are less **** than the other teams.

Diamond Creek? Well, they benefited from our bowlers not bowling as well as they could, then being allowed to bowl a lot longer than they perhaps should've, when giving other blokes more of a go, a go earlier or a go at all, were better options. They also benefited from our batsmen giving them easy wickets, which had a snowball effect. . Had we played them again, with a slightly different bowling plan and application with the bat, I reckon we could knock them off. I can't say the same if we played Heidelberg again.

I noticed Bellingham is an out for Diamond Creek. That will be an advantage for Heidelberg. Heidelberg were better in the field as well. I expect the top order of Heidelberg to have the better o DC's bowlers, it wouldn't surprise me if they tear'em up! There was a distinct difference in level of ability, when I recall those particular match-ups. Something to consider, is that the pressure's on DC to get up from my pov. They should win the whole grade easily considering how mouthy they were last week. It was a stark comparison to Heidelberg, who were quiet against us, even looked bored playing. ******* hell! If DC are going to be like that, they should romp it in! As I was in the middle, I was thinking "Are you ***** for real??? Jesus!" In all the time I'd been playing, the only other times I can recall where a number of players were "obvious" to the extent where you can say it's a reflection of the whole team (as opposed to one particular flog in the team), was on a rare occasion I played in the higher grades when it happened to be against Mill Park. The other time was was in a low grade final against Mill Park some years ago (it's like playing against a higher grade MP team anyway). Ok, so while I won't be at either game this weekend, I'll be at Phiillip Island for a historic car race meeting, I'll be paying attention. The pressure's on DC to live up to their mouths.

Brian's tip - Heidelberg

LOL! DC scoring the grand total of 56! They wouldn't have been so chirpy in the field at the start of Heidelberg's innings. To the Heidelberg batsmen reading this. The bowler for DC who took the wickets today? If you can smash him for 12+ off an over, he'll lose his form. Despite making it difficult for themselves losing 3 wickets, Heidelberg should win. Surely they won't **** it up?

The other semi. Riverside with 216 have an inbetween score. Not a score that Banyule will definitely get, but Riverside cannot rely on run rate and will have to work hard to get 10 wickets. A game in the balance.

Pretty hot at PI today. A fantastic track, a fantastic place to be. But there's no shade anywhere!

Back