Dvca - Competition Restructure

What should we do with the Competition next season and beyond?

• Leave it as is

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Go through with the proposed change (10, 10, 8)

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Change to a 12, 8, 8 Team Structure

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We're not saying we don't get it. Or how it'll work (mostly anyway)

Most are saying they just flat out don't like it!

But good work on the effort.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like it either, I was just trying to clear up some misconceived ideas stated on here about how this new structure will work. There are a few flaws the biggest being that 10 team grades and 21 playing days just don’t work in producing a fair draw no matter what they do.

Eh, I couldn't give a stuff about the top grades, I won't be playing in them so I'll get 14 chances with the bat next year. Sounds good to me, roll on the changes.

If you play lower grades you normally start a week later at the start of the season and again after the Christmas break, so your 14 chances are already down to 12. But it is one more than last season J
That is unless you get proactive and ask to play the same number of days as the top grades that you don’t give a stuff about. J

It's wrong Brutal, all 2's teams will be ranked above any 3's teams. and if my math is right, your 2's are around 20-21 in the order.

Direct from DVCA restructure handout. (if they stick with it)

Move all clubs 2nd XI teams into an 80-over grade for 2016/2017 to assist in creating a stronger structure to accommodate the Shield grades.
The 28 DVCA 2nd XI teams and top four ranked 3rd XI teams will be ranked 1 - 32 based on ladder rankings at end of 2015/2016.
B Grade – Teams ranked 1 - 8
C Grade – Teams ranked 9 - 16
D Grade – Teams ranked 17 - 24
E Grade – Teams ranked 25 – 32
After 2016/2017, 2nd XI’s can be relegated out of these grades.

But then it is not explained if all 3's, 4's, 5's and 6's will be put in the same group.

Sorry Wandering (and Brutal) but I think you will find that its not wrong.
There were changes removing the 2nd XI format along the lines as the top 3 grades. I am lead to believe this was because of the ridiculous situation they would have found themselves in when putting together 4 grades of 8, as with only 28 clubs the bottom 2nds grade would have to be topped up by the best of the 3rd XI sides.
Can you imagine a grade that would have pitted the bottom 4 2nd XI sides in South Morang (7th in E), Camrea (8 in E) Panton Hill (7 in F) and Plenty Valley Bats (11 in F) against 3rd XI sides Riverside (9th in C) North Eltham (2 in D) Mernda (3 in D) and Monty (4 in D). How even and fair a grade do you think that would be? It would just be a matter of time, admittedly maybe 10 years, before the better 3rd XI sides passed the weaker 2nd XI sides and got back to exactly where they are now!!
I will add that it’s funny they didn’t use the same logic on the 1st XI proposal, as the new Mash Shield of Mill Park (9th in MS) Camrea (10 in MS) Hurstbridge (11 in MS) and Greensborough (12 in MS) with Panton Hill (1st in B) Thomastown (9 in B) South Morang (12 in B) and Plenty Valley Bats (11 in C) surely has a similar look to it when you look at the 2nd XI sides in the grade below, that range from North Eltham (2nd in B) to Bundoora United (10 in B). You could easily argue that next seasons B grade may be stronger and far more competitive than the proposed Mash Shield which to me would make this whole comp restructure look silly and a waste of time.
Of course no disrespect meant to the proposed Mash Shield or any sides, I am just stating the stats.

If you play lower grades you normally start a week later at the start of the season and again after the Christmas break, so your 14 chances are already down to 12. But it is one more than last season J
That is unless you get proactive and ask to play the same number of days as the top grades that you don’t give a stuff about. J

Yeh I didn't think of the start times, but who knows, they might start everyone the same week, will have to wait and see what they do from E down. If not, I might have to improve the old fitness in the off season then to get 14 hits.

I think comments on here best sum up this situation as no one seems to know whats happening even though it was decided over a year ago now.
I think I can help out as there is only one result that can change the grades for next season, the Money Shield winner either Lower Plenty or Nth Eltham.
Here is my take of things for all sides that play 80 over cricket. (this season BS to D grades 60 sides)

BARCLAY : (10) D’CREEK MACLEOD OPSF RIVERSIDE L’ELTHAM EPPING ROSANNA BUNDOORA RESEARCH LP or NE
MONEY : (10) PLENTY MERNDA BUND UTD LP or NE ELTHAM L’STARS MONTY HEID’BERG BANYULE WHITTLESEA
MASH : (8) MILL PARK CAMREA H’BRIDGE G’BOROUGH PANTON HILL THOM UTD S’MORANG P’ VALLEY BATS
B : (8) N’ELTHAM D’CREEK RIVERSIDE BUNDOORA MACLEOD MONTY MERNDA BUND UTD
C : (8) ROSANNA HEID’BERG OPSF PLENTY EPPING ELTHAM MILL PARK L’STARS
D : (8) BANYULE RIVERSIDE L’ELTHAM G’BOROUGH L’PLENTY N’ELTHAM MERNDA MONTY
E : (8) RESEARCH D’CREEK BUNDOORA ROSANNA H’BRIDGE BANYULE THOM UTD WHITTLESEA

Sides in the top 3 grades are clubs 1st XI's ONLY. (28)
All sides below that are sorted on ability just as they have been since Barclay and Money Reserves were eliminated.
Promotion/Relegation, 1 up 1 down, exists in all grades bar MASH as NO relegation and B where NO promotion.

BARCLAY and MONEY play 9-2 day games and 3-1 day games.
MASH to E play 7-2 day and 7-1 day games, each other twice.

I could do same for lower grades but best thought all dissect this first.

So all know this was taken from DVCA handout as presented at Presidents meeting back in december 2014 and seems nothing has changed.

Which club will make way for Rivergum to join?

I've got a novel and simple idea. All shields to have reserve grades playing against each other's 2's on alternate grounds on same week. Yes some clubs including my owns have 2's that intitially may find it difficult to be competitive based on previous seasons but it's our responsibility to close the gap, not I believe the comps to widen it. As far as I'm concerned a clubs seconds most important role is to develop and groom players for the senior team. To do that and to compare apples with apples as far as standard means to participate and compete against those that are doing the same. If Plenty Valley are allowed to be promoted on the basis of a promise, then I expect my clubs promise making our 2's more competitive to be taken as seriously, although I might state with better outcomes than PV's. I'm quite sure we could close the gap and compete with Lower Eltham, OPSF and Epping 2's who played C grade and if Lower Plenty gets over NEW, we could compete with their 2's having beaten them this season already. Anyway that's my view and I'm sure others will complicate things by over analysing and taking the odd pot shot but it's simple and as football does, allows club 2's to improve via development without a threat or fear of relegation. And clubs then are on an equal footing in knowing how qualified players are to play the shield grade. Bottom line is make the clubs responsible for the capabilities and competitiveness of their 2's. I know my club is well aware of what we require and are well on the way to making it happen.

Brutal, I am all for you idea. I preferred the way the comp ran in previous years. Ie your 1s get relegated, so do your twos. I loved both teams playing the same club the same week. But it doesn't work.

To use you guys as an example. And I'll start but saying that I know you're doing all you can to strengthen your twos, and have recruited each year. But your twos have been awful for a number of years. How many times have they finished in the bottom 2/3 spots on the ladder in any grade over the last 10 years? (Rhetorical)

Although it's hard on your club, if you're not good enough to play the grade (PLENTY VALLEY), then you drop down and down to be competitive. Not only for your sake of not having your twos players get smashed week after week, but also for the comp so that there's not a side just getting a free ride each year. I'll add that it's not just your twos. There's other clubs that have had similar issues.

Brutal, I am all for you idea. I preferred the way the comp ran in previous years. Ie your 1s get relegated, so do your twos. I loved both teams playing the same club the same week. But it doesn't work.

To use you guys as an example. And I'll start but saying that I know you're doing all you can to strengthen your twos, and have recruited each year. But your twos have been awful for a number of years. How many times have they finished in the bottom 2/3 spots on the ladder in any grade over the last 10 years? (Rhetorical)

Although it's hard on your club, if you're not good enough to play the grade (PLENTY VALLEY), then you drop down and down to be competitive. Not only for your sake of not having your twos players get smashed week after week, but also for the comp so that there's not a side just getting a free ride each year. I'll add that it's not just your twos. There's other clubs that have had similar issues.
Didn't seem to bother the exec when they promoted an uncompetitive team from 10th in D grade to C grade. Anyone heard if PV bats are remaining?

Speculation over in the club chat forum that Rivergum might make a move to the DVCA. That'd solve the Plenty Valley issue and they would probably be more competitive.

Speculation over in the club chat forum that Rivergum might make a move to the DVCA. That'd solve the Plenty Valley issue and they would probably be more competitive.

There was an article online (Local newspaper I believe) that quoted the club rep saying that is not the case. They won't be coming.

Probably more competitive? Lol really?
Id like to think an A grade premiership team would be more competitive then the 11th place C grade side

I'm under the belief that at no stage has Rivergum contacted the DVCA board or vice versa

Back