Dvca - Competition Restructure

What should we do with the Competition next season and beyond?

• Leave it as is

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Go through with the proposed change (10, 10, 8)

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Change to a 12, 8, 8 Team Structure

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Honestly out of that 30, 5-6 clubs would be in a healthy position, and one of them might be joining the DVCA next year.

But what does healthy position mean? Are all these clubs going to fold. I doubt it.

Just a quick calculation - there 10 senior grades in NMCA, 78 teams x 11 players - that's 858 players. Not to mention women, juniors and vets.

Your're probably looking at a couple of thousand people involved. Are they all going to stop playing cricket if Bundoora Park, Rivergum and Rosebank move?

The NMCA will continue because there's no where else for the clubs and players to go.

But what does healthy position mean? Are all these clubs going to fold. I doubt it.

Just a quick calculation - there 10 senior grades in NMCA, 78 teams x 11 players - that's 858 players. Not to mention women, juniors and vets.

Your're probably looking at a couple of thousand people involved. Are they all going to stop playing cricket if Bundoora Park, Rivergum and Rosebank move?

The NMCA will continue because there's no where else for the clubs and players to go.

Number of senior teams, juniors, money in the bank, supporters/members... all factors contributing to a healthy position. Don't get me wrong it's not all rosy in the DVCA but I feel that there would be more than 30% of clubs in a healthy position, as opposed to NMCA.
My club has played all sorts of clubs in the NMCA during the T20 comp over the years, i'm confident in agreeing with Blackhawk with his views here just from what I've seen in that small samply size alone.

Lalor Warriors played off in a Prelim in Jika Shield 2 years ago and now compete in D Grade, competing against teams 3rd XI's, the same 2 teams have been unopposed for the past 7 years, in the same time the top tier has shrunk from 10 to 8 teams. That's only going off what is going on in the top flight, I don't know what's happening in the lower grades but it can't be any better can it? NWMCA has taken in clubs before from the NMCA, I'm sure they would again if something were to happen to the NMCA in the coming years.

Hmmm, not sure i would've been so forthcoming with answers. Reckon it's a good time to play a straight bat (not that i ever did) and let the DVCA field the media enquiries.

FWIW i think they'll get accepted but will be interested in Cricket Victoria's reaction. Not great for NMCA losing a strong club

This was exactly my thoughts. You currently don't qualify to be accepted, its news to a number of people that you've even applied to join the association, but you're doing newspaper interviews basically saying you think its a done deal.... Very strange.

Although I agree that they will be accepted.

Question is, if they are saying they think the constitution will be changed to allow them to be accepted, what does it take for that to be changed? The DVCA to just change it, or for the clubs to vote on it?

Question is, if they are saying they think the constitution will be changed to allow them to be accepted, what does it take for that to be changed? The DVCA to just change it, or for the clubs to vote on it?

As per the constitution:

The constitution can only be changed by a three-quarters majority at an annual meeting. (Rule 19)

The annual meeting is to be held in the first week in August (Rule 8)

Funnily enough, as per the DVCA Admin Rules:

Clubs will be required to nominate their senior teams by the first week of July (Rule SA2)

The Operations Manager will, within 15 days after team entries close, notify clubs of the final gradings with the exception of the lowest 2 grades.

In summary:

Bundoora Park cannot become a member of the DVCA until the AGM.

But, the DVCA must release final gradings before the end of July, before Bundoora Park might be admitted.

Last edited:
As per the constitution:

The constitution can only be changed by a three-quarters majority at an annual meeting. (Rule 19)

The annual meeting is to be held in the first week in August (Rule 8)

Funnily enough, as per the DVCA Admin Rules:

Clubs will be required to nominate their senior teams by the first week of July (Rule SA2)

The Operations Manager will, within 15 days after team entries close, notify clubs of the final gradings with the exception of the lowest 2 grades.

In summary:

Bundoora Park cannot become a member of the DVCA until the AGM.

But, the DVCA must release final gradings before the end of July, before Bundoora Park might be admitted.

But as has been pointed out already. The DVCA feel that Rule 7 basically states that they can do whatever the hell they like, whenever they like, without any input from anyone else.

It'll be interesting how this plays out.

But as has been pointed out already. The DVCA feel that Rule 7 basically states that they can do whatever the hell they like, whenever they like, without any input from anyone else.

It'll be interesting how this plays out.

DVCA Constitution Rule 7(9) states: The DVCA has power to interpret the Rules. Its interpretation is final and binds clubs and players. If a club or player fails to abide by it the DVCA may impose such penalty on the club or player as it thinks fit.

However, the Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 (Vic) Section 48(4) states: A rule or purpose of an incorporated association that is inconsistent with this Act or contrary to law is of no effect.

The Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 (Vic) Section 46: The rules of an incorporated association are taken to constitute the terms of a contract between the association and its members. Under section 67, an application may be made to the Magistrates' Court for an order enforcing the rules of an incorporated association.

So while the DVCA thinks that Rule 7 gives them power to just ignore whatever the Constitution says, the relevant act makes it quite clear that they can't and have to abide by their rules. Member clubs can seek a court order to enforce those rules.

But I doubt anyone can be bothered going down that path. Unless the DVCA tries to admit clubs that existing clubs aren't too keen on.

My god just let them in. They're a good club, why is everyone throwing up barriers? Invoke Rule 7 forthwith.

The NMCA is full of two team social clubs. Long term they are doomed as serious association. When the big ones decide they've had enough of playing social cricket we we should roll out the red carpet.

I was talking about the constitution, I'm not against them joining the comp.
You raise good points about the clubs in close proximity. Granted that I'd need light traffick and a good run with the lights but within 7 minutes of Yulong i could get to: OP, UB, Mill Park, Rivergum, Bundoora Park, Cobras, PV, Greensborough and Riverside. Hard to sustain, not unlike the old days when you had 5 clubs within a couple of minutes of Greensborough shopping centre. Three of them are no longer
Perhaps he doesn't believe that the population of Bundoora is sufficient to make it worthwhile having another club join from the area. There's already 3 in the suburb (Bundoora, Bundoora United and now Old Paradians). Considering I can count on one hand the amount of BU senior players that actually live in Bundoora, it might be a fair point.
Macleod, Rosanna, Banyule, Heidelberg and Heidelberg West seem to manage alright. Three of them are within 100 metres of one another.
Lower, Mont?

My god just let them in. They're a good club, why is everyone throwing up barriers? Invoke Rule 7 forthwith.

The NMCA is full of two team social clubs. Long term they are doomed as serious association. When the big ones decide they've had enough of playing social cricket we we should roll out the red carpet.

Whilst I get your sentiments, these boundaries were put in place for a reason. You cannot go outside it to just suit some clubs and not others based on who has money and who doesn't. Do we do this for all clubs now? What will be next? Clubs in Box Hill, Balwyn, Clifton Hill, Roxburgh Park?

Whilst I get your sentiments, these boundaries were put in place for a reason. You cannot go outside it to just suit some clubs and not others based on who has money and who doesn't. Do we do this for all clubs now? What will be next? Clubs in Box Hill, Balwyn, Clifton Hill, Roxburgh Park?
You just got let let go of the old DVCA handbrake. Broaden your thinking beyond the standard set of kitchen utensils...........Tongs.

Will we be trying to find a second team to join the comp? Can’t have a bye in mash. BP pretty much in, i like that tbh. Best ground I’ve played on footy and cricket.

Will the constitution be changed to add the City of Darebin? That would open up the DVCA to many more clubs...

What’s everyone’s thoughts on 1st XI one dayers being played later in the day, being played with a pink ball and being played in full coloured kits? Adds more excitement to the idea of 40 overs a side?

What’s everyone’s thoughts on 1st XI one dayers being played later in the day, being played with a pink ball and being played in full coloured kits? Adds more excitement to the idea of 40 overs a side?
Yep why not. Clubs and Comp should always be looking to change things up a little.

You couldn't really do that at the start of the season ,there wouldn't be enough light. I assume it's so club players can get back and watch the game, but in all seriousness, how much of the game are you going to see? I'm out at my game, finish at 5:30, pack up, have a beer with the opposition, on the road back to the club at 6, maybe 20 minutes min to get back to the club depending on where I am, so that's 6:20-30 I get back. If the match is scheduled to finish at 7 with a 2pm start, that's a lot of effort to watch 30 minutes of cricket. That's even if the 1 dayer has gone down to the last overs. You'd have to start at 3 and go to 8 to make it worthwhile, but not sure the light would be good enough at 8 for the game, especially if it goes overtime.

Back