Dvca - How Do We Make It Better - A Bigcricket Going Forward Forum

Re: DVCA - How do we make it better - A BigCricket going forward forum

The Ox;390641 said:
So cause we're crap we get discriminated against. gee, thanks. As for won't be missed, G and H grade players make up 37.5% of Diamos players, that's a fair whack of players to potentially be putting offside.

No, my point is that if the difference in standard for you is such a leap from h to g grade, then I would give it away. However I am happy to create another grade so you can play your 2 days of mediocre cricket and those with more ability but not as much time can play 1 dayers without the commitment of playing over 2 saturdays.

TGAT;390740 said:
I believe that there is definitely merit in the idea of having a grade dedicated to one day games. However, I do not think that it should replace any existing grades, rather be a seperate grade all together, let's call it J Grade. If 11 Teams nominated for this grade then every Team could play each other twice throughout the season with the top four progressing to the finals. I am sure that there would be 11 clubs interested in entering a one day side and we could judge the success of this over two seasons.
I would not like to see two grade cricket abandoned in the lower grades. As a traditionalist, I believe the longer versions of the game still need to be protected. So let's not replace anything, rather create something new.

I like my traditional forms of the game to, but in reality there are people out there (old and young) who cannot or don`t like the idea of giving up every saturday 2 play cricket. People have family commitments, work roster issues, or in my case cannot put my back through 68 or 80 overs in the field on a 35 degree day. A one day comp provides and alternative for those who still want to participate at a more manageable level. Cricket is not the attractive sport it used to be when I was younger, alot of young blokes would rather hit the beach these days in summer or go to a music festival, rather than stand in the field for 80 overs. I`m sure a 1 day comp is also a way of keeping them interested and part of the game instead of loseing them altogether! Just think it`s worth exploring anyway, other comps do it and it seems to work well. Why shouldn`t we give it a go!

brutal;390751 said:
No, my point is that if the difference in standard for you is such a leap from h to g grade, then I would give it away. However I am happy to create another grade so you can play your 2 days of mediocre cricket and those with more ability but not as much time can play 1 dayers without the commitment of playing over 2 saturdays.

What's this rubbish? There's hardly any difference at all between G and H. In fact, all my better batting results have been in G, not H.

brutal;390753 said:
I like my traditional forms of the game to, but in reality there are people out there (old and young) who cannot or don`t like the idea of giving up every saturday 2 play cricket. People have family commitments, work roster issues, or in my case cannot put my back through 68 or 80 overs in the field on a 35 degree day. A one day comp provides and alternative for those who still want to participate at a more manageable level. Cricket is not the attractive sport it used to be when I was younger, alot of young blokes would rather hit the beach these days in summer or go to a music festival, rather than stand in the field for 80 overs. I`m sure a 1 day comp is also a way of keeping them interested and part of the game instead of loseing them altogether! Just think it`s worth exploring anyway, other comps do it and it seems to work well. Why shouldn`t we give it a go!

I'm all for giving it a go, but it shouldn't take the place of H grade, it should be a new grade.

The Ox;390794 said:
I'm all for giving it a go, but it shouldn't take the place of H grade, it should be a new grade.

i think you'll find there are not enough grounds to create a new grade, therefore if the CLUBS vote to bring in a one-day comp, which i think would be of benefit to most clubs in our comp, it will be at the expense of "H" grade.

Regarding the one day comp, another association introduced it about 5 years ago which is compiled of 2 divisions.
The standard of division A is better than C Grade in DVCA.
The mix of players in the teams consist of ex A grade players that cannot comitt on a weekly basis and also players that have a wedding ect one week but is available the next ,most clubs have a least a few players in that situation every selection night.

The Ox;390794 said:
This one day comp as we all know gets proposed in one way or another every year and fails every year because no one actually puts a proposal together.
The DVCA have requested this every year.
What is required are things like:
- basic rules,
- qualifications (ie do these games count towards regular season - I say no),
- restrictions - ie what players can play etc...

I am concerned if just open slather for availability then someone like a Rosbrook could play if he was unavailable for a regualr two 2 game. He is likely to kill someone like the Ox if playing in the same comp.
So you would need two tiers as already suggested somewhere on here.
Tier one for A - C grade players, and tier 2 for the rest. Players who have played A,B or C grade in their last match - cannot play tier 2 one day comp. Lower grade players can move up but at their own risk.
When would you play finals? Would have to be earlier than the regular finals series.

Lots of little intricacies to consider. The issue of ground availability as also mentioned previously, cannot be ignored. Either the one day comp needs to be full time on Sundays or we will have 4 grades playing each Sunday rather than 2.

Perhaps a completely separate comp like the vets - played on alternative weeks - except open age.
Players could even play for other clubs, qualifications are only for that comp as per Vets.

So if serious about a one day comp, put in the effort to draw up a basic comp structure and submit to the clubs to consider for voting on.
Do not just submit a one line RCP saying you want a one day comp as it will fail again.

THE PREZ;390886 said:
This one day comp as we all know gets proposed in one way or another every year and fails every year because no one actually puts a proposal together.
The DVCA have requested this every year.
What is required are things like:
- basic rules,
- qualifications (ie do these games count towards regular season - I say no),
- restrictions - ie what players can play etc...

I am concerned if just open slather for availability then someone like a Rosbrook could play if he was unavailable for a regualr two 2 game. He is likely to kill someone like the Ox if playing in the same comp.
So you would need two tiers as already suggested somewhere on here.
Tier one for A - C grade players, and tier 2 for the rest. Players who have played A,B or C grade in their last match - cannot play tier 2 one day comp. Lower grade players can move up but at their own risk.
When would you play finals? Would have to be earlier than the regular finals series.

Lots of little intricacies to consider. The issue of ground availability as also mentioned previously, cannot be ignored. Either the one day comp needs to be full time on Sundays or we will have 4 grades playing each Sunday rather than 2.

Perhaps a completely separate comp like the vets - played on alternative weeks - except open age.
Players could even play for other clubs, qualifications are only for that comp as per Vets.

So if serious about a one day comp, put in the effort to draw up a basic comp structure and submit to the clubs to consider for voting on.
Do not just submit a one line RCP saying you want a one day comp as it will fail again.

Tools is keeping that seat nice and warm for you Georgey!

Here is a start !!!

Cut and paste job

Batting and Bowling Restriction One Day Grades

In grades designated by the Committee of Management as one day grades the maximum number of overs to be bowled by any bowler is eight (8) or 20% of the overs bowled in any innings if the innings is to consist of less than 40 overs.
Batsmen must retire at the end of the over in which their score reaches 50 runs. Batsmen who retire may return in the order of retiring at the fall of the last wicket.

Semi Finals and Finals

To be eligible to play in Semi Final or Final matches in any season a player must have:
• played at least three (3) games with the club and
• qualified for that grade by playing at least three (3) games in the grade or a lower grade. In grades where predominantly one day games are played this qualification standard is 25% of the games played by that team or a lower team.
Where a player has not met this grade qualifying standard a permit to play under rule 10 (d) may be granted on application where, in the opinion of the Permit & Clearance Committee, extenuating circumstances apply

CowCorner;379475 said:
OK, I am stuck in NSW and felt like starting a new thread....

Having a look at recent posts and (some very good points/arguments) and the fact that the DVCA has released their 'what's your opinion for going forward' to all Clubs. I think its time the highly intelligent members at BC have input and rationally discuss the issues for our great competition.

Be rational, make sense and have a good argument (and always have fun). Try not to get personal and try not to be your club centric.

Just a though, has anyone thought of bringing in the bonus points for games? im not really a fan for or against it but i know they all use it in england.
in my opinion it would make the competition alot closer and make the losing teams work harder to get as many points as they can even if they are going to lose.

The points system in england, based on 1 day games, are 1 point for every 20 runs, up to 200 runs (max 10 points) and then 1 point for every wicket taken (max 10 points)

Dont know whether its a good idea or not, but its an idea.

I am not a fan of the bonus points system due to the following.

Clubs that have a small home ground have an advantage over clubs that have a large home ground, due too the bonus points system rewarding amount of runs made.

Clubs that have a Dodgy wicket ( epping ) will also get an advantage due to bonus point on wickets taken.

Hope my description makes sense too everybody.:confused:

TheUtility;400692 said:
Just a though, has anyone thought of bringing in the bonus points for games? im not really a fan for or against it but i know they all use it in england.
in my opinion it would make the competition alot closer and make the losing teams work harder to get as many points as they can even if they are going to lose.

The points system in england, based on 1 day games, are 1 point for every 20 runs, up to 200 runs (max 10 points) and then 1 point for every wicket taken (max 10 points)

Dont know whether its a good idea or not, but its an idea.

Having played a little bit in England last year and experienced that system you refer to, I think it would be a big mistake.

It creates an environment where often teams don't play to win, they play to maximise the points available to them given the situation the game is at.

For example, if you bowl first and get smashed around, there is more incentive to bat cautiously, preserve wickets, and escape with a draw and earn a few points, rather than actually try to win. Not what I think we should be teaching young (or any) players.

They also have a ridiculous system where teams don't get the same number of overs - if you bat second, you might get an extra 5 - 8 overs (depending on the length of the game), supposedly to "encourage" the chase and give the bowling team more time to get you out. In most cases, this just becomes a bit of extra time to eke out another point, rather than actually pursue the win.

Aside from that, you need a degree in rocket surgery each week just to figure out the points.

I'm happy with our system. We made more runs, we get 6 points. We made less runs, we don't get any.

cold case;400883 said:
Sounds fairly clear cut to me Bubble Wrap!

I suppose it depends exactly what you are trying to achieve.

At the moment, whenever a game is "over" and one side cannot win, the losing team (and sometimes the winning team) are so keen to get off the ground and have a beer that the match becomes a joke. I would have thought in these instances the acquisiton of points according to runs scored/wickets taken is quite smart, and in addition to this, as 99% of matches would go the full 160 overs, there would be no more of the sooking by players (particularly Eltham and Lalor whingers) that they are being kept out in the field.

absoluteglam;400925 said:

At the moment, whenever a game is "over" and one side cannot win, the losing team (and sometimes the winning team) are so keen to get off the ground and have a beer that the match becomes a joke. I would have thought in these instances the acquisiton of points according to runs scored/wickets taken is quite smart, and in addition to this, as 99% of matches would go the full 160 overs, there would be no more of the sooking by players (particularly Eltham and Lalor whingers) that they are being kept out in the field.

I realise it's only a suggestion on a forum that has little relevance to how the assocaition is ultimatley administered but why would we look to introduce a bonus point sytem? I think the current system works fine and on face value the "correct" teams seem to win the flag & be relegted most years.

The captain of the winning side still decides whether he keeps the opposition
out in the field or not. I've always said, If you want to play for sheep stations, then head off down the road if you are good enough.

cold case;400942 said:
The captain of the winning side still decides whether he keeps the opposition
out in the field or not. I've always said, If you want to play for sheep stations, then head off down the road if you are good enough.

Couldn't agree more - we're all playing park cricket after all. If teams really want to be rewarded for runs scored and wickets taken they can choose to stay out there now and be rewarded for it. It's called percentage! At the end of the day a bonus point system won't make a tad of difference. The only way to succeed in the comp is to WIN games and isn't that how it's supposed to be?

spinnersclub;400703 said:
I am not a fan of the bonus points system due to the following.

Clubs that have a small home ground have an advantage over clubs that have a large home ground, due too the bonus points system rewarding amount of runs made.

Clubs that have a Dodgy wicket ( epping ) will also get an advantage due to bonus point on wickets taken.

Hope my description makes sense too everybody.:confused:

Yeah, that would be a big advantage to us with grounds like Campbell Street, compared to those who are paying on, say, Mill Park Lakes.

There is simply no point in keeping sides out for 60+ overs if it is useless. If you are not playing to win, or earn more points (outright) then get off the ground. I don't mind in getting a guy to a ton etc, but to bat on all day long for no reason at all is like kicking a baby!

We play because we love the game, not to try and make the other team hate us by smashing them into the ground. As a club, Eltham have generally always called the game off once won, besides to get skips to a ton.

Back