Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

Seemed like not everyone agreed on the locations for this years Shield finals. What about bringing in a system where umpires and captains from both teams rate the pitch and the outfield each game. The scores for the season get tallied and the best ground from each grade hosts the final?

Seemed like not everyone agreed on the locations for this years Shield finals. What about bringing in a system where umpires and captains from both teams rate the pitch and the outfield each game. The scores for the season get tallied and the best ground from each grade hosts the final?
They rate premier grounds, the results are always reflective of the finals venue. I would say the comp isn't just going to base the decision on those two things though, otherwise they already would.

The only problem with that is the grounds condition can and will change between round 1 and 11. A ground with a great covering of grass might be a dust bowl by February if we get a hot summer.
Yeah good point. Maybe it's something they do only after the New Year break

There will always be an argument for a ground to be host or not to. Mernda has a great facility albeit the pitch is a bit skinny but at the end of the day not many want to travel up there to play let alone watch. I think they should change it every year, there are enough good grounds in the comp to mix it up

There will always be an argument for a ground to be host or not to. Mernda has a great facility albeit the pitch is a bit skinny but at the end of the day not many want to travel up there to play let alone watch. I think they should change it every year, there are enough good grounds in the comp to mix it up

AB - this isn't directed at just you, so please don't take it that way.

1. It's a standard 6 foot wide pitch at Mernda, the only difference being there are no 'wings' on the apron. Yes, this gives the impression of a 'skinny pitch', but the measurements are the same as any other ground with a 6 footer.
2. You blokes carry on like going to Mernda is like driving to Albury! It's 20 minutes up Plenty Rd for Christ sake. Anywhere outside of Greensborough/Watsonia/Eltham/Bundoora/Plenty area is like the shadowy place from the Lion King to some people - You mustn't go there, Simba!

1. It's a standard 6 foot wide pitch at Mernda, the only difference being there are no 'wings' on the apron. Yes, this gives the impression of a 'skinny pitch', but the measurements are the same as any other ground with a 6 footer.
2. You blokes carry on like going to Mernda is like driving to Albury! It's 20 minutes up Plenty Rd for Christ sake. Anywhere outside of Greensborough/Watsonia/Eltham/Bundoora/Plenty area is like the shadowy place from the Lion King to some people - You mustn't go there, Simba!

Well it is a long way to go. If you are in Bundoora and drive 20 minutes up Plenty Road, well, you are still in Bundoora !! The road is shizen. Yan Yean Road same.

FYI Simba was attacked by Hyenas when he strayed into the forbidden lands, not dissimilar to standing in front of Wrighty at the smoko table.

You're right about the pitch it probably does seem skinnier than it is but it's the same for both sides regardless. As far as the travel, in a situation such as the GF weekend not many would have considered watching the MS final when they could watch BS at Plenty. Without knowing I would guess it may have been a similar case last year when MS was at Lower Eltham and Barclay at Mernda but I could be wrong about that.

FYI Simba was attacked by Hyenas when he strayed into the forbidden lands, not dissimilar to standing in front of Wrighty at the smoko table.

You're right about the pitch it probably does seem skinnier than it is but it's the same for both sides regardless. As far as the travel, in a situation such as the GF weekend not many would have considered watching the MS final when they could watch BS at Plenty. Without knowing I would guess it may have been a similar case last year when MS was at Lower Eltham and Barclay at Mernda but I could be wrong about that.

Fair point on both accounts in your opening line!

I didn't go to Lower Eltham last year, but I was at both games last weekend. Started at Mernda then with the result having been decided by 4pm (no disrespect to Eltham), went to Plenty and can say there were the same amount of, if not more, people at Mernda when we got to Plenty. To be fair, I didn't actually notice many impartial viewers at either game (some but not as many as, say 5-10 years ago). Both crowds were made up predominantly of the competing clubs' supporters. I just reckon the travel time, pitch, etc. cards get played decidedly more than they need to be.

If you're being fair dinkum, there isn't a better playing surface in the comp (you can pick either of the Mernda grounds to win that argument) and the new facility would be hard-pressed to be beaten. Yeah, it may not look as good as somewhere like Plenty due to it being concrete/steel out the front as opposed to a nice deck, but nothings perfect. I'd say that anyone who says differently either still thinks Mernda play at Schotters Rd, hasn't actually been to the new facility or is someone who still hasn't let go of the "the DVCA is the immediate Greensborough/Eltham area and I will not have it any other way" brigade. But, as always and as someone has said in another thread over the last couple of days, everyone's got an opinion.

Its been confirmed that North Brunswick Rosebank has joined the DVCA.
Whats unknown is what grade they will be in. Has anyone heard whether they have been admitted into Barclay Shield?
Brendon Joyce has been named coach, with
Lloyd Mash and Matthew Frith coming from Fitzroy Doncaster. With those recruits you would think they would be in A grade - most likely they will dominate in that grade

No queue jumping. Don't care who you are

18 of the existing clubs have entered the comp from other comps since the 1970s.
17 of them started in grades below the top grade.
The one exception was Hurstbridge, which started in the top grade because it was convenient for the comp, in that they wanted to even up the numbers after promoting the deserving Lower Eltham to the top grade.
There seems to be no reason to make an exception by admitting Rosebank in the top grade unless, for some presently unknown reason, it is convenient to the comp.

Whats unknown is what grade they will be in. Has anyone heard whether they have been admitted into Barclay Shield?
Lloyd Mash and Matthew Frith coming from Fitzroy Doncaster. With those recruits you would think they would be in A grade - most likely they will dominate in that grade

What date is it today?

If Mash decides to pull the pin at Premier level I suspect he will go back to Canterbury. Left on very good terms, and they've just been promoted to Dunstan.

Bundoora Junior Football & Bundoora Cricket Club are please to announce the opening of our brand new pavilion at NJ Telfer Reserve, Greenwood Drive Bundoora.
Open Day - Sunday July 16th - from 10am - 3pm.

Everyone welcome to come and have a look at our fantastic new facilities. Big brand new state of the art pavilion, and hopefully a large screen electronic scoreboard installed prior to open day.
Fun activities for the kids - jumping castle, face painting...

Cmon Tongs,time to let go of your personal dispute with Brutal go and give the viewers what they want.
#bringbackbrutal

First, it's not personal at all. I've banned you more often than I've banned him, it's just that you don't carry on with abusive messages after the fact, like he did.

Secondly, his ban expired a long time ago. His disappearance has been self appointed. Not such a bad thing.

Back