Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

God forbid someone has to cut their holiday to Bali short huh?

I dunno where all the complaints about the new year start dates has come from, it's always been the same Saturday.

I dunno where all the complaints about the new year start dates has come from, it's always been the same Saturday.

10/11 - 8th
11/12 - 7th
12/13 - 12th
13/14 - 11th
14/15 - 10th
15/16 - 9th
16/17 - 7th
17/18 - 6th
18/19- 5th?

As you can see, not always the same weekend with some weekends available to go a week earlier. Couldn't be bothered digging deeper into mycricket but your point of it always been the same Saturday has already been proven wrong so no need.

This is a forum about how we could make the DVCA better, not exactly a complaint, but raising a genuine concern of mine. I don't know about you but I suspect our 2nd XI captain will have a hard time grabbing some people on the 5th of Jan out of holidays and I know it wont be a problem exclusive to my club.

A discussion isn't a complaint, you realise that yeah?

Good to see a relevant topic on this site for a change IMO.

10/11 - 8th
11/12 - 7th
12/13 - 12th
13/14 - 11th
14/15 - 10th
15/16 - 9th
16/17 - 7th
17/18 - 6th
18/19- 5th?

As you can see, not always the same weekend with some weekends available to go a week earlier. Couldn't be bothered digging deeper into mycricket but your point of it always been the same Saturday has already been proven wrong so no need.

This is a forum about how we could make the DVCA better, not exactly a complaint, but raising a genuine concern of mine. I don't know about you but I suspect our 2nd XI captain will have a hard time grabbing some people on the 5th of Jan out of holidays and I know it wont be a problem exclusive to my club.

I don't mean it's always the exact same date, I mean it's always the same week and I know this because we come back the Saturday after my birthday except when my birthday falls on a Friday, which it will next year. Thus if it follows the pattern, first playing day will be the 12th. So just like 12/13 season, we will break for Christmas on December 22nd this season. The mid season break ends up at about 20 days give or take a day here and there, no matter the stop and start dates.

Rule changes I would suggest:

1. All 3rds grades and below ( F1 & below) to become 40 over one day fixtures. Starting at 12:30pm (enabling team to get back to watch higher grades)

Rationale: With everyone’s lives getting busier, it is getting increasingly harder for clubs to get players to commit to 2 weeks of cricket in a row. If we were to play permanent one day fixtures, then players could play every 2nd or 3rd week and not commit every week.

Suitable for workers or single parents or just the older fill-ins…who dont want to field 68/80 overs.

I can think of probably a dozen or more players at our club that no longer play due to work or family commitments, but would be happy to fill in every 2nd, 3rd or 4th week. This straight away gets maybe 10-12 players back involved with the club that currently have given it away.

** For those that will quote " but the one day comp folded" I say that was because it was an additional separate competition which dragged players out of normal grade cricket. Basically held no relevance for most clubs.
If it was the only competition, then everyone would play as that's all there was.

If this first proposal is shot down, and I think it might be by the power clubs, then re-submit as follows.

2) All 4ths grades ( G1 and below)…etc…as above.

3) Full colour clothing to be worn.

Rationale: Get up with the times. A lot of local competitions are now wearing full colour clothing. Looks great.
Also allows the clubs an opportunity to sell clothing/sponsorship to their playing group. By using sponsors etc, can make some money from the additional apparel.
Start by allowing it to be optional - not enforced. If clubs wish to take it up, then they're free to do so. Those that dont want it, stay in whites, they do not have to do.

4) Bowling restrictions to be relaxed from spells to just the daily limits in all junior & senior grades.

Rationale: Young bowlers are increasingly breaking down when they turn 18 as they do not have the physical grounding to bowl longer spells. Even proven in Premier, State & International levels.

Also batting quality is also reduced by having spells in junior cricket. The best bats just sit on and see out the best 2 bowlers then smash the rest. If bowlers could bowl their daily overs in one spell, then this would increase the quality of batting as well.

I would still have some level of participation rules in the juniors though where all bowlers or a minimal number of bowlers should be used across a full innings.

Thoughts...?

I don't mean it's always the exact same date, I mean it's always the same week and I know this because we come back the Saturday after my birthday except when my birthday falls on a Friday, which it will next year. Thus if it follows the pattern, first playing day will be the 12th. So just like 12/13 season, we will break for Christmas on December 22nd this season. The mid season break ends up at about 20 days give or take a day here and there, no matter the stop and start dates.

Far easier to fill teams on the 22nd or 23rd of Dec than on the 6th Jan.. Not many go away before Christmas but most people are off work at least that first week.

Rule Changes reply.

1- Still not a fan of this. Suggestion has gotten no better in the last 12 months. What is it with this obsession of "getting back early to watch the higher grades"? I also don't know if teams really will get more players and even if you do, won't you run the risk of ending up with a similar problem the one day comp had; high grade players popping up and smashing it all over the park or bowling thunderbolts to 15 year olds? Seems it might fix one problem while creating others.

2 - See above.

3 - Does it matter? On one hand you're saying players are ever more burdened with family and time constraints, won't this cost players more money in budgets that are ever more stretched. Power bills are not going to come down any time soon unless the government gets rid of their ridiculous global warming policies.

4 - Don't understand bowling restrictions for kids. They can bowl all day at school and/or training but restricting how much they can bowl in games is meant to somehow be protecting them? Makes no sense.

As for the playing dates; it's always been the same, as far back as I can remember. Why can't people just plan around it? It's not that hard. In any case, playing on Jan 6th only comes around once every 6/7 years.

Thoughts please....

Change of innings MUST extend from 10-20 mins. It’s too much of a rush on the team having to come in having bowled the other side out - what's the feel around this.....

It's not about excitement, it's about giving the side that has not been good enough to bat the 80 overs an advantage by making the openers have to rush off and try and prepare as best they can in a very short time frame.

Thoughts please....

Change of innings MUST extend from 10-20 mins. It’s too much of a rush on the team having to come in having bowled the other side out - what's the feel around this.....

Put your pads on faster or pick another dedicated opener so you don't have to do it anymore.

I thought I should add that any real opening batsman doesn't want to muck around in the rooms for 20 minutes, they want to get straight back out there to minimise the break in concentration, especially if you only have an over or two, just get it done.

Last edited:
Thoughts please....

Could get darker if you are sitting around and waiting for the 20mins, especially early on in the season or if it's wet/gloomy, therefore the advantage to get ready and set yourself for 20 mins could be offset by the fact you are batting in the dark!

Could get darker if you are sitting around and waiting for the 20mins, especially early on in the season or if it's wet/gloomy, therefore the advantage to get ready and set yourself for 20 mins could be offset by the fact you are batting in the dark!

Then comes the argument between the openers and the opposition captain, the openers complaining they don't want to bat in the dark and the fielding skipper who wants his strike bowler to kill a batsman with a black ball of death!

Thoughts please....

Change of innings MUST extend from 10-20 mins. It’s too much of a rush on the team having to come in having bowled the other side out - what's the feel around
It's not about excitement, it's about giving the side that has not been good enough to bat the 80 overs an advantage by making the openers have to rush off and try and prepare as best they can in a very short time frame.

Its the different scenarios which the game throws up that make it the game that it is. Excitment and adrenaline and pressure are the things that players have to deal with, its why players play and enjoy the game so much. It’s not about giving a team an advantage at all. Bowlers don’t bowl better or fastest or spin it more just because there is 6 overs left to face or whatever overs. It’s whats between players ears that separates teams that deal with the situation better than others.

Any idea when playing dates will be released?

It will be interesting to see if the competition takes any notice of the uproar of short Xmas break from last year as well as the GF set up for the shield grades

Back