Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

Fairly negative mindset from everyone and that’s probably why wickets fall because people go out there trying to survive rather than seeing it as an opportunity to knock some runs off the total...

No advantage if you're three fa. Doesn't do a great deal for your 'confidence'.
18 deliveries. If you're 3 fa you've bottled it.

Its a 160 over contest. Should be 3 overs on the change over and that's it. The option isn't offered in test cricket why would we water this particular rule down at local level. Its all part of the vagaries of the sport allowing for a momentum shift if the team having batted are good enough to go out and take a couple in a few overs.

I remember when you could declare on 75.5 overs and still get 5 at them. That was strange.

Three overs to finish the day perfect opportunity to be 0/20 and if you happen to get out you get to watch all the races the following Saturday. WIN/WIN

It's nice when you do that. I took 17 off the first (think we had 4 to bat) a couple of seasons ago, was nice to walk out sitting on some runs the next week.

I like the proposal. Each game and day is different as well, so to have an option in place surely isn't a bad thing. Sometimes you might have really worked your a$$ off to get the team out, 35 degrees and executed a perfect bowling plan, might not be the best thing to put your batsman into the firing line. Other times, you can cash in and make a quickfire 20-30 if you fancy yourselves against the team bowling.

Like most things, no one is forcing you to do anything, so if you don't agree with it, you don't need to do it!

Whilst I totally understand the argument that it may "reward" a team for not being able to bat out their overs, I actually like the rule that you should have to go out at bat the 1-5 overs.

It creates some real excitement and mental toughness in a game that normally, lets be honest, are often one sided boring events. Very few games go down to the wire or are close these days. That 15-20min of play, I find are great to watch and be a part of that intensity that's otherwise rarely seen in the game.

Whilst I totally understand the argument that it may "reward" a team for not being able to bat out their overs, I actually like the rule that you should have to go out at bat the 1-5 overs.

It creates some real excitement and mental toughness in a game that normally, lets be honest, are often one sided boring events. Very few games go down to the wire or are close these days. That 15-20min of play, I find are great to watch and be a part of that intensity that's otherwise rarely seen in the game.

I agree. Its all part of the game. Bowling a team out shouldn't grant you an advantage.

What if you lose a wicket 5 mins before tea? You have to come out and bat.

What if its rainy? You might have to go on and off multiple times, sometimes only batting for 5 or 10 minutes.

I agree. Its all part of the game. Bowling a team out shouldn't grant you an advantage.

What if you lose a wicket 5 mins before tea? You have to come out and bat.

What if its rainy? You might have to go on and off multiple times, sometimes only batting for 5 or 10 minutes.
Yawn. It's park cricket right. Just leave it as an option. Captain can make the call. Don't give me all this other palava. Nobody can tell me an opening bat really looks forward to going out there with three overs to go at 5.45pm on a Saturday when it's been 36c all day. If you say you do you're bullshitting. Just make it an optional thing, not compulsory, OPTIONAL. Then the following week, the oppo can sledge the shit out of the openers for being weak the week prior. You know it makes sense. I'm Old Grey Nick.

Yawn. It's park cricket right. Just leave it as an option. Captain can make the call. Don't give me all this other palava. Nobody can tell me an opening bat really looks forward to going out there with three overs to go at 5.45pm on a Saturday when it's been 36c all day. If you say you do you're bullshitting. Just make it an optional thing, not compulsory, OPTIONAL. Then the following week, the oppo can sledge the shit out of the openers for being weak the week prior. You know it makes sense. I'm Old Grey Nick.
With you OGN. That’s the thing I’ve found the funniest about this change, it is completely optional, no one forcing you to do anything yet everyone is still going on about it. A progressive rule change which has been proposed from a typically dinosaur comp, well done to the DVCA.

Last edited:
With you OGN. That’s the thing I’ve found the funniest about this change, it is completely optional, no one forcing you to do anything yet everyone is still going on about it. A progressive rule change which has been proposed from a typically dinosaur comp, well done to the DVCA.

The dinosaurs will be thrilled, the new rule didn't pass at the AGM last night.

- Cricket Victoria directive - start of the 2019 - 2020 cricket season, all community cricketers (whether junior or senior) will be required to wear BS7928:2013 compliant helmets AT ALL TIMES when batting, wicket keeping up to the stumps and fielding in the close.

- Can't drop down more than 1 shield grade at one time

- New DVCA logo to be announced

- Cricket Victoria directive - start of the 2019 - 2020 cricket season, all community cricketers (whether junior or senior) will be required to wear BS7928:2013 compliant helmets AT ALL TIMES when batting, wicket keeping up to the stumps and fielding in the close.

So now I'll have to wear a helmet facing 14 year olds in G Grade.

No mercy then, I'm going to smash them to all parts.

p.s. Phil Hughes was wearing a helmet.

Back