DVCA Juniors 2010/11

Creek vs Riverside
and
Lower Plenty vs Thommo/SFA
in the first week of finals
some good contests here.

My thoughts on the finals:

Diamond Creek V Riverside -

I dont think that this will be a close game at all, Riverside just cant make enough runs and Diamo's bowling is pretty steady anyway. If Riverside were to win the only way they could do this is hope they can absolutely roll Creek, cant see it happening though too many solid batters ofr Diamo and not enough strike power for Riverside. Would love to see Riverside knock Diamo off though.
biggrin.png

Result = Diamond Creek

Man of the match = Matt Freeman

Lower Plenty V St Francis of Assisi/Thommo -

This should be a cracker of a match with both teams having good batting lineups STF/TU's probably a bit stronger. Lower plenty have an advantage with a bowling lineup with a bit more depth where STF/TU rely heavily on 4 or 5 bowlers Lower seem to have more options. I think that whoever bowls first will win.

Result = St Francis/Thommo

Man of the match = Dean Crockett

Good Luck to all teams in the finals and bad luck to those who didnt make it.

cool.png

Same Thing With TUCC/SF, Crockett and Lewis both play ones, and a few more are playing in the 2's and 3's

Yeah thats true Crockett and Lewis play ones for Thommo and the Franks and Paul dempsey and Dylan Wyjeseria plays 2's and 3's and so does Declan Paras. And im pretty sure that Anton Basinisi, Jake Mcswain and Daniel Mcginty all play 3's at there club so both teams have plenty of experience in there lineups.

Very interesting first week of the finals,
one game
DC 9/189 V RV looks as though DC have got too many runs on the board for Riverside. Big ask for Riverside to get the runs, going to take a big effort from someone up the top to get a score to give them a chance.

For Diamo to win: Bowl smart and reduce four balls, Riverside dont seem to hit a lot of boundaries anyway.

For Riverside to win: Good start, Need a big score from someone at the top maybe a Joseph Bergman or Potter or Nolan but really important everyone contributes down the order.
My tip = DC comfortably

Lower Plenty 153 V Thommo 1/15
This game is very interesting, Lower lucky to get to that score with there top and middle order letting them down, some good batting from the tale helped them get to a defendable total. Thommo a big suprise i think getting through Lower's top order so easily with a pretty honest attack, did well to bowl Lower out. And then Thomo had to face 5 overs and losing their first wicket of their captain Anton Basinisi.

For Lower to win: Crucial to strike early, must get Crockett and Lewis out early otherwise game is pretty much done, must keep taking wickets all day, will not contain Thommo with players such as Crockett, Lewis, Dempsey, Paras, Mcswain in the lineup.

For Thommo/STF to win: Either Crockett, Lewis, Dempsey, Mcswain or Paras must be there at the end. But i think that if Lewis or Crockett can get a score of 70-100 they will definately be playing the GF

My tip = TU/STF in a relatively close game.

Lp struggling- need to bowl well. TU/STF batsman need to take it upon themselves and not wait for the big names to get it done, seen sides fail like that in the past. top 3 get 20+ each, game over

RV- i hear a top order bat (sorry names arent my suit) made a ton in the arvo. and runs before that, maybe he can fire. cant forget Freman though
will be difficult on that deck. get in, play straight. someone in top 4 needs a 50+ and someone to be there as Phelan did

Yeah Marcus Nolan made a ton on the weekend.

My thoughts on the games are...

Thomastown will beat Lower 4 or 5 down.
Lower just haven't got enough fire power with the ball.

And for the DC vs RV i wont comment

Yeah Marcus Nolan made a ton on the weekend.

My thoughts on the games are...

Thomastown will beat Lower 4 or 5 down.
Lower just haven't got enough fire power with the ball.

And for the DC vs RV i wont comment

oh ok did he, didnt know that he looked to be a pretty clean hitter when i saw him. Hopefully he can continue his form into saturday's chase.

Yeah im the same with you about the Thommo V Lower Game, i think it will be decided in the first 15 overs.

TUCC/SF VS DC
Should be a ripper Grand Final
Whats peoples thoughts?

Yeah should be a good game, my tip is that the game is one and lost when Diamo's Spinners bowl to Thommo's top bats, should be a great battle.

Why Diamo can win:
- Freeman is a gun, proved it in the Semi
- Robbie Phealan, Harley Smith and Daniel Shallard all big run getters
- Well drilled, disciplened team
- Depth in their bowling
Why TUCC/SF can win:
- Depth in their batting
- Have 3 or 4 guys that could get a ton.
- Steady bowling, Plenty of options
- Have plenty of guys that can either stick around or hit the boundary if required.

Should be an absolute belter of a game, lots of players playing who have played REP or good level of senior cricket. i think the game is going to be won with the bat, and this is why i am going to tip THOMMO/STF to win.

Man of the match = Dean Crockett.

Thoughtts?????

Yeah should be a good game, my tip is that the game is one and lost when Diamo's Spinners bowl to Thommo's top bats, should be a great battle.

Why Diamo can win:
- Freeman is a gun, proved it in the Semi
- Robbie Phealan, Harley Smith and Daniel Shallard all big run getters
- Well drilled, disciplened team
- Depth in their bowling
Why TUCC/SF can win:
- Depth in their batting
- Have 3 or 4 guys that could get a ton.
- Steady bowling, Plenty of options
- Have plenty of guys that can either stick around or hit the boundary if required.

Should be an absolute belter of a game, lots of players playing who have played REP or good level of senior cricket. i think the game is going to be won with the bat, and this is why i am going to tip THOMMO/STF to win.

Man of the match = Dean Crockett.

Thoughtts?????

I agree with most of what youve said however i deninantely would call Freeman a 'Gun', nor would i call Shallard a 'big run getter'
I tend to think that TUCC/SF have more 'quality' batsmen, with Crockett, Lewis, Basanisi, Paras & McSwain, opposed to DC's Smith, Phelan and Possibly Ramsay.
I also think the macth with the ball, as we already know these 2 teams can post large totals, it will come down to how well the bowlers can restrict the batsmen and take wickets.

The most important players for each team will be (in no particular order):
TUCC/SF

Lewis- Has the ablitlty to complile a large total at a relitely quick pace, is also a very hand 2nd change bowler
Crockett- Can score big runs and is a genuine strike bowler
Joshi- Can rip through their top order
Basanisi- Has the ablility to bat all day and head the team towards a big total
Paras- Can steady the innings if needed and can hang around, hand spin option
McSwain- Quality strike bowler who can hit a ball
Dempsey- Can Turn the game in an instant

DC
Smith- Can score big runs as well as provide some handy off spin
Shallard- Has the ability to rip through their top order
Phelan- Can score a big total and steady the innings
Ryder- Can tie down one end
Ramsay- Extremely under rated left armer
Freeman- Most of DC's chances lie with him

I agree with most of what youve said however i deninantely would call Freeman a 'Gun', nor would i call Shallard a 'big run getter'
I tend to think that TUCC/SF have more 'quality' batsmen, with Crockett, Lewis, Basanisi, Paras & McSwain, opposed to DC's Smith, Phelan and Possibly Ramsay.
I also think the macth with the ball, as we already know these 2 teams can post large totals, it will come down to how well the bowlers can restrict the batsmen and take wickets.

The most important players for each team will be (in no particular order):
TUCC/SF

Lewis- Has the ablitlty to complile a large total at a relitely quick pace, is also a very hand 2nd change bowler
Crockett- Can score big runs and is a genuine strike bowler
Joshi- Can rip through their top order
Basanisi- Has the ablility to bat all day and head the team towards a big total
Paras- Can steady the innings if needed and can hang around, hand spin option
McSwain- Quality strike bowler who can hit a ball
Dempsey- Can Turn the game in an instant

DC
Smith- Can score big runs as well as provide some handy off spin
Shallard- Has the ability to rip through their top order
Phelan- Can score a big total and steady the innings
Ryder- Can tie down one end
Ramsay- Extremely under rated left armer
Freeman- Most of DC's chances lie with him

Hmmmmmmm
You were right, my mistake daniel shallard is not a big run getter my bad, however Matthew Freeman aswell as playing in Barclay Shield and i believe he took 3 for not many against the flag favourites in Plenty and bowled extremely tight in his other games. The kid has dominated the under 16 comp this year getting atleast 1 wicket in every game, 16 wickets @ 7.8 is not bad if you ask me.

and one other thing do not put Basinisi in as a 'quality' batter he has made out of his 8 innings he has made 6 scores under 15, made 140 runs for the year and made 97 of them in two hits, "and has the ability to bat all day" alot of people have ability, overated!!! P.S choked in the Semi bad shot i was told.

Apart from those couple of things you are pretty much spot on i reckon.:cool:

Hmmmmmmm
You were right, my mistake daniel shallard is not a big run getter my bad, however Matthew Freeman aswell as playing in Barclay Shield and i believe he took 3 for not many against the flag favourites in Plenty and bowled extremely tight in his other games. The kid has dominated the under 16 comp this year getting atleast 1 wicket in every game, 16 wickets @ 7.8 is not bad if you ask me.

and one other thing do not put Basinisi in as a 'quality' batter he has made out of his 8 innings he has made 6 scores under 15, made 140 runs for the year and made 97 of them in two hits, "and has the ability to bat all day" alot of people have ability, overated!!! P.S choked in the Semi bad shot i was told.

Apart from those couple of things you are pretty much spot on i reckon.:cool:

Hi William,

Seems to me that from time to time you seem suffer "foot in mouth" disease.
The one thing that you cannot argue against is what comes out of your own mouth or your postings as in the following statements;

batting allrounder said:​
top ten bats
and top ten bowlers?​

And your reply….​

Batters
1. Ben Lennon 133 @ 66.50 (includes 1 not out in3 innings)
2. Luke Sandy 138 @ 19.71 (includes 1 not out in 8 innings)
3. Rheece Lewis 192 @ 96.00 (includes 3 not outs in 5 innings)
4. Robbie Phealan 265 @ 44.17 ( includes 2 not outs in 7 innings)
5. Liam hunt 320 @ 40.00 (includes 1 not out in 9 innings)
6. Jackson Van Meeuwen 92 @ 23.00 (includes 3 not outs in 7innings)
7. Matthew Freeman 131 @ 16.38 (includes 1 not out in 9 innings)
8. Harley Smith 246 @ 35.14 (includes 2not outs in 9 innings)
9. Billy Jenkin 184 @ 46.00 (includes 5 not outs in 9 innings)
10. Dean Crocket 316 @ 52.67 (includes 3 not outs in 9 innings)​

Even though Ben is out of touch he still has the “ability” to be the best bat in the comp, and the only reason i have Dean and Harley in there is that this year there is a lack of quality players in this years under 16s, and these guys have pretty good records”​

- Crockett 316 @ 52.87 #2 & Smith 246 @ 35.14 = #4 in the comp for runs scored & 3rd & 10th respectively in the averages

And i don’t think Riverside will make finals because they don’t have any match winners, they are a balanced team but every successful premiership team has had at least one match winner and im afraid Riverside just don't have that.​

I think that it would have to be Luke Sandy, as he is their only genuine gun bat. Has really struggled this year pretty disappointing from a kid with a lot of ability.​

- A “gun” bat you reckon from a kid who has a lot of “ability, would you say that his guy has “potential”

William, Mar 2, 2011
Man of the match = Dean Crockett (caught for 7 in semi) I suppose he also "choked" if your observations are consistent)​
The kid is still a 14yo going into the GF, was chosen by his peers to lead what will most likely be the premier side in the comp, in a team with the deepest batting list in the comp, he obviously bats for his team not for his personal stats (unlike some others). I don't suppose any the bats in your top 10 list have gotten out playing a bad shot (what garbage), they all got out playing good shots (sic).

Just ask the riverside boys who put the nails into their coffin in the last round of the season.

So, have your opinion, your entitled to it,but refrain your ego from telling others that they are not entitled to theirs.

"Overrated", seems to me you just don't like the kid.

lighten
Hi William,

Seems to me that from time to time you seem suffer "foot in mouth" disease.
The one thing that you cannot argue against is what comes out of your own mouth or your postings as in the following statements;

batting allrounder said:​
top ten bats​
and top ten bowlers?​

And your reply….​

Batters​
1. Ben Lennon 133 @ 66.50 (includes 1 not out in3 innings)​
2. Luke Sandy 138 @ 19.71 (includes 1 not out in 8 innings)
3. Rheece Lewis 192 @ 96.00 (includes 3 not outs in 5 innings)​
4. Robbie Phealan 265 @ 44.17 ( includes 2 not outs in 7 innings)​
5. Liam hunt 320 @ 40.00 (includes 1 not out in 9 innings)​
6. Jackson Van Meeuwen 92 @ 23.00 (includes 3 not outs in 7innings)
7. Matthew Freeman 131 @ 16.38 (includes 1 not out in 9 innings)
8. Harley Smith 246 @ 35.14 (includes 2not outs in 9 innings)​
9. Billy Jenkin 184 @ 46.00 (includes 5 not outs in 9 innings)
10. Dean Crocket 316 @ 52.67 (includes 3 not outs in 9 innings)​

Even though Ben is out of touch he still has the “ability” to be the best bat in the comp, and the only reason i have Dean and Harley in there is that this year there is a lack of quality players in this years under 16s, and these guys have pretty good records”​

- Crockett 316 @ 52.87 #2 & Smith 246 @ 35.14 = #4 in the comp for runs scored & 3rd & 10th respectively in the averages

And i don’t think Riverside will make finals because they don’t have any match winners, they are a balanced team but every successful premiership team has had at least one match winner and im afraid Riverside just don't have that.​

I think that it would have to be Luke Sandy, as he is their only genuine gun bat. Has really struggled this year pretty disappointing from a kid with a lot of ability.​

- A “gun” bat you reckon from a kid who has a lot of “ability, would you say that his guy has “potential”

Man of the match = Dean Crockett (caught for 7 in semi) I suppose he also "choked" if your observations are consistent)​
The kid is still a 14yo going into the GF, was chosen by his peers to lead what will most likely be the premier side in the comp, in a team with the deepest batting list in the comp, he obviously bats for his team not for his personal stats (unlike some others). I don't suppose any the bats in your top 10 list have gotten out playing a bad shot (what garbage), they all got out playing good shots (sic).

Just ask the riverside boys who put the nails into their coffin in the last round of the season.

So, have your opinion, your entitled to it,but refrain your ego from telling others that they are not entitled to theirs.

"Overrated", seems to me you just don't like the kid.

lighten up you loser, stop picken on the kid.

lighten

lighten up you loser, stop picken on the kid.

Who do you think is doing the picking???

Anyone with half a brain would understand that that is exactly what I suggested William should do.

Post your opinions, but refrain from insisting that others adopt your point of view... and don't go picking on others cause that's what losers do.

"Overrated", seems to me you just don't like the kid.[/quote]

Find that amazing...I know a few blokes from Thommo United and Anton is neither well respected or liked among his teammates
he isn't a bad cricketer but he's no gun/matchwinner.

And by the way Paul Dempsey/ Jake McSwain put the nail in to the coffin agaisnt us. Anton batted alright that day for his 50 but he batted a lot of overs.

Find that amazing...I know a few blokes from Thommo United and Anton is neither well respected or liked among his teammates
he isn't a bad cricketer but he's no gun/matchwinner.

And by the way Paul Dempsey/ Jake McSwain put the nail in to the coffin agaisnt us. Anton batted alright that day for his 50 but he batted a lot of overs.[/quote]

Just what did you find amazing?????

I didn't say he is a "gun". Nor did I say that he is a "match winner".
Question, how does one get the captaincy (voted in by teammates) if they dislike or do not have respect for him? (cant wait for your answer on this one)

You are right in that there is a certain individual (top age 16) who was a candidate for the captaincy but lost the opportunity due to not having the numbers (how could that be when he is so popular).
I have it from a number of reliable sources that he has done nothing but bag his skipper to anyone who wants to give him an ear and at every opportunity. I also am told that he IS the person most disliked in that side. I feel so sorry for him:).

Back to the facts.....
After checking the results, he retired not out (57) when the score was 163 (after passing your lot of 156) and after having lost Dempsey (32), McSwain (35), Paras (0), Crockett(2) and Joshi (28)in the process, Lewis did not play and only the tail to come.

So call it what you like, the facts speak for themselves.

What I did do is highlight how anyone can get out cheaply (I'm sure you would understand that) and to say he is a "choker"
is just plain ridiculous.

Back