Dvca - Money Shield - Season 2011/12

Latest rumour...

-OPSF up Lalor down...as per normal in Barclay - 12 teams.

-Rosanna, Heidelberg, Banyule in Money.

-Money Shield split into 2 separate divisions of 8 teams for this season only.

-Top 6 in each Money division will make up the new 12 team Money Shield in 2013/14

-Bottom 2 in each Money Division relegated in 2013/14

Latest rumour...

-Top 6 in each Money division will make up the new 12 team Money Shield in 2013/14

That seems like a reasonable way of ultimately deciding who is worth their spot in MS from 2013/14 onwards.

However, two questions. First, what happens with MS Finals this 2012/13 season? And secondly, what happens with promotion to BS and relegation to MS at the end of this 2012/13 season?

PS and what happened with Viewbank - did they apply to the DVCA or what?

Latest rumour...

agree with the first 3 points however not so sure about the next 2

That seems like a reasonable way of ultimately deciding who is worth their spot in MS from 2013/14 onwards.

However, two questions. First, what happens with MS Finals this 2012/13 season? And secondly, what happens with promotion to BS and relegation to MS at the end of this 2012/13 season?

PS and what happened with Viewbank - did they apply to the DVCA or what?

Doesn't say much for the quality of a competition if it has 2 x 2nd divisions. Just shows everyone that the DVCA will have a majority of teams that aren't good enough to compete in 1st division cricket. This of course is not supported by facts. Stupid idea that hopefully is just a rumor.

Having a 3rd Division will also weaken your comp. Clubs should be given every chance and opportunity to strengthen themselves as quickly as possible to play top division cricket. Putting them in a 3rd div means it could take years before they get out if ever. Imagine saying to a possible new player with ability that maybe not this year, or the year after but possibly in 3 to 5 years we will be in Barclay. Good luck recruiting a gun player to play 3rd div. A team that wins its way into Barclay in 3 years is a fairytale. Not a decision that will benefit the MAJORITY of teams. 2 top divisions and 1 2nd tier is better than this.

Having a 3rd Division will also weaken your comp. Clubs should be given every chance and opportunity to strengthen themselves as quickly as possible to play top division cricket. Putting them in a 3rd div means it could take years before they get out if ever. Imagine saying to a possible new player with ability that maybe not this year, or the year after but possibly in 3 to 5 years we will be in Barclay. Good luck recruiting a gun player to play 3rd div. A team that wins its way into Barclay in 3 years is a fairytale. Not a decision that will benefit the MAJORITY of teams. 2 top divisions and 1 2nd tier is better than this.

The (only) argument you put forward earlier for having 2 BS Divisions was that it makes it easier for present MS clubs to recruit top players (presumably because these "top players" can then kid themselves that they are playing in a higher division).
Well, why stop there? Why not have 7 or 8 top divisions?

More seriously, there are numerous and overwhelming arguments against the proposal.
However, it's not necessary to discuss them, because it's never going to happen. It's just a dead end.
Everybody's time is better spent on sorting out a reasonable proposal for the 2 MS Divisions.
And the one outlined above by five80 is the best so far.

How about we reward the Clubs that have managed to remain in Barclay Shield, worked hard and should remain there.

Not cheapen the 'Div 1' concept by whinging Clubs that think they should be there or others that want to come and play in this Comp and now want to change the rules, seriously!!

I am sorry but there is to much complaining about "being in Div 3" crap on here. Either work harder, stay in your own comp or put up with it. I am not saying I have the answers as to what should be done, five80 has outlined a pretty fair situation, of course there will be Clubs will be upset but all I am hearing is people wanting what is not something they deserve. Golieth you sound like someone that only complains and does not actually try and do anything, want want want. How about Clubs EARN it....:eek:

Any Club that cannot get players as they are in a lower division are not approaching players with a decent plan. Walking up to blokes in the pub with a dollar figure is not how its done, and if the player cannot see your plan, maybe its your issue not the competitions....?

OK, come back with the sooking......:rolleyes:

How about we reward the Clubs that have managed to remain in Barclay Shield, worked hard and should remain there.

Not cheapen the 'Div 1' concept by whinging Clubs that think they should be there or others that want to come and play in this Comp and now want to change the rules, seriously!!

I am sorry but there is to much complaining about "being in Div 3" crap on here. Either work harder, stay in your own comp or put up with it. I am not saying I have the answers as to what should be done, five80 has outlined a pretty fair situation, of course there will be Clubs will be upset but all I am hearing is people wanting what is not something they deserve. Golieth you sound like someone that only complains and does not actually try and do anything, want want want. How about Clubs EARN it....:eek:

Any Club that cannot get players as they are in a lower division are not approaching players with a decent plan. Walking up to blokes in the pub with a dollar figure is not how its done, and if the player cannot see your plan, maybe its your issue not the competitions....?

Well said Cow....

Enticing players to clubs has nothing to do purely on dollars and cents and if it is then they aren't the right blokes to be recruiting.

Clubs need to realize that the culture they build off field is the biggest enticement any player can look at

Latest rumour...

Sounds like there is a "putting out the feelers" flavour to this. But it looks like a fair approach to me, especially with the one initial season as a type of review to gauge where the new clubs fit in and how the increased comp mass functions. There would also be some breathing space to allow further consideration and refinement on what is best to put in place from the following season (2013/14)onward. Especially as the initial 2012/13 season unfolds.

Take my hat off to those that eventually sort this stuff out. Must be so difficult coming up with the correct formula to sooth the multitude of perspectives on this, let alone just making it work.

Well said Cow....

Enticing players to clubs has nothing to do purely on dollars and cents and if it is then they aren't the right blokes to be recruiting.

Clubs need to realize that the culture they build off field is the biggest enticement any player can look at

Sounds good in practice but the facts are even though you say your club has these values they struggled last season. Don't know what happened to all your recruits from last year. Losing 2 of your top 3 bowlers for next season means you need to recruit just to stay where you where. Be interested to see which gun players move to your club from another club for nothing. Good luck with that one.

Or we could just make another top division in case they get relegated and pretend the standard is just as good.

Sounds good in practice but the facts are even though you say your club has these values they struggled last season. Don't know what happened to all your recruits from last year. Losing 2 of your top 3 bowlers for next season means you need to recruit just to stay where you where. Be interested to see which gun players move to your club from another club for nothing. Good luck with that one.

Always love the promotion of the hard work ethic!

I like your last paragraph, I think it brings a number of aspects together nicely. The club managment/commitee, coaches, players, teams, junior programs, facilities, recruiting and local community/sponsors are all components that have a role in the success, or lack there of, of a community sports club. If the mix, drive and smarts are there, that pull all these things together to work well, then elevation through the grades can be in sight. Recruiting, while important, of itself is not a long term dominating factor in a clubs success IMHO. May I suggest there are plenty of examples around to justify that comment.

Given that much of the work at local sports clubs is voluntary, to say "pull all these things together to work well" is the real challenge in getting the club participating in the highest grades and successfully so, IMHO.

Umm I reckon we have done well for the good part of the last 10 years in terms of attracting new players pal..

All I'm talking about it is you can throw all the money in the world at certain blokes but if your club are a bunch of farkwits it ain't gunna be the most attractive proposition...

Umm I reckon we have done well for the good part of the last 10 years in terms of attracting new players pal..

All I'm talking about it is you can throw all the money in the world at certain blokes but if your club are a bunch of farkwits it ain't gunna be the most attractive proposition...
exactly right, it is a balance of money & good club culture IMO that would entice a good player to go there. you do spend at least 6 months of the year at the club so I would like to think that you would like the blokes there.
rumour has it that Plenty are chasing a couple of ex HDCA players, any truth to that?

2 2nd divisions could lead to controversy especially when there is a lot at stake. How to position the clubs in each division will be a major problem as there will be uknown teams to position coming from the HDCA. Imbalance in divisions would be a major concern

Last ten years. Didn't you finish 4th bottom last season. You must have attracted some absolute guns last year. Remember 2 sides will have to be dropped down next season if there are 2 Money shields. Pressure is on as the Franks won't go straight back down and Camrea won't be idle either with their aggressive recruitment stlye. Unless you pick up big time you will struggle like last season. Maybe you and your mates in Barclay need to realize that its the Diamond Valley CA not the Barclay Shield CA. Its amazing how everyone is dictating what they will be doing to affect the futures of Money shield teams but protecting their own Barclay boys club. With so many clubs now the fairest way is to have a Subbies type set up with 2 top divisions. Pretty simple really.

This is a quote from yourself,
"Barclay Shield = Division 1
1 = Top
Its not like BS players are trying to get to MS?????"
Tell us why a Barclay player wouldn't go to Money shield. Is it because its hard to recruit top players into a 2nd or 3rd division side or is it that every single team in Money does not have a decent plan. You aren't exactly a deep thinker are you.

Because they want to play the best standard of cricket?

This is a quote from yourself,
"Barclay Shield = Division 1
1 = Top
Its not like BS players are trying to get to MS?????"
Tell us why a Barclay player wouldn't go to Money shield. Is it because its hard to recruit top players into a 2nd or 3rd division side or is it that every single team in Money does not have a decent plan. You aren't exactly a deep thinker are you.

2 top divisions: A ridiculous grab from second rate clubs in order to lay claim to playing A Grade cricket, IMO.

If your club is worth its salt and can perform to a standard worthy of the A Grade tag you'll be playing that standard soon enough.

The competition will be far better off having 2 second divisions run and formatted the same way as the current MS with the finals played the same way.

The winners of the 2 GFs play off in a 'battle of the premiers' game to earn promotion to BS. This would ensure the strongest possible team gets the privilege of playing A Grade cricket. It's not any one club's absolute right to play at that level and it must be earned. The current group of BS teams have earned that right and it shouldn't be taken away willy-nilly.

The bottom team in BS for that season get relegated to the MS grade that the eventual winner comes from to keep the teams even.

At the end of the day there won't be a perfect solution, no decision made by the comp is going to please every single club. But we're all big enough and ugly enough to accept it or, alternatively, go and find a competition that will allow a new club to come straight in to their top cricket grade!

Last ten years. Didn't you finish 4th bottom last season. You must have attracted some absolute guns last year. Remember 2 sides will have to be dropped down next season if there are 2 Money shields. Pressure is on as the Franks won't go straight back down and Camrea won't be idle either with their aggressive recruitment stlye. Unless you pick up big time you will struggle like last season. Maybe you and your mates in Barclay need to realize that its the Diamond Valley CA not the Barclay Shield CA. Its amazing how everyone is dictating what they will be doing to affect the futures of Money shield teams but protecting their own Barclay boys club. With so many clubs now the fairest way is to have a Subbies type set up with 2 top divisions. Pretty simple really.
Are you the full bag? We won 6 flags in the last 9 seasons.... And there was only 3 blokes that played in all 6 flags. So I would have thought that basic mathematics says we must have recruited new players in that time. I know for a mater of fact that people came to us in some instances because they wanted to play for plenty.... Seriously mate your making a dil of yourself

Back