Dvca, Nmca And Hdca To Merge

Which Association Clubs will benefit the most from this merger

• Total voters
What terrible news. Can someone tell me the benefit of this proposal? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The only loser here is the DVCA. Can someone tell me the most northern and southern clubs from these 3 associations? I have no idea but I'm guessing it's a fair drive. I want to play cricket locally. I don't want to travel more than 20 mins for a cricket match, if I did I'd be playing for Plenty Valley. We have to stop this somehow. Can RV, DC, LP, MY, LE, EL, NEW, PY, BU, go their own way and create the old DVCA again?

Old DVCA sounds good. No more travelling west of plenty rd
smile.png

Im happy to give the DVCA the benefit of the doubt at this stage, no point consulting clubs until they have something to tell them.

The way I read the announcementon the DVCA web page, decision's already made.

"As a consequence the representatives from the three associations affected by this CV move reached a unanimous in-principle agreement to merge all three Northern region associations into one major competition. the main driver behind this decision being a desire to restructure and improve cricket at all levels."

The way I read the announcementon the DVCA web page, decision's already made.

"As a consequence the representatives from the three associations affected by this CV move reached a unanimous in-principle agreement to merge all three Northern region associations into one major competition. the main driver behind this decision being a desire to restructure and improve cricket at all levels."

Totally correct Prince of India !
Cricket Victoria had previously redrawn the representative boundaries and brought that decision and the "need" to merge all the associations that would feed into this new representative team to streamline the system.
No doubt many of the tradionalists will not like the decision, but it will happen. And the quicker it does happen the easier it will be to be accepted.
Sadly, it probably will result in the merger and/or loss of some clubs across the three associations.
And a final point on the travel requirements of this new association: the demographic locations of the clubs doesn't appear to be that much different to the clubs of the local football league, which many cricketers from the three associations support.

My initial reaction is that this doesnt benefit the dvca, and isnt something I'd support personally or as a club exec (If I was one still). Cant answer the survey because I dont know who will benefit, or more importantly how they will benefit?

Love the association as is, luv playing riverside, mont, lowers, creek, plenty, etc, as is this is deminishing. Dont need to play a bunch of rabble from NMCA, 86 grades, 50 clubs, 3 sides per club, that type of thing.

Bigger isnt better.

Assume the DVCA will need a vote of clubs to merge, cant see it getting up.

I don't believe there will be a vote. This is a directive from Cricket Victoria, not a suggestion.
I can understand all points of view but if there were a conference type system in place where clubs will play other clubs in their area and then play off in a final series, I don't see how that will impact the week to week games. Only when you reach finals would you be required to travel further afield.
When you look at the situation obejectively, can we really continue to have so many cricket clubs in the area?
Junior numbers are down across most clubs and it is getting harder and harder to attract kids and then keep them in the system.
I was driving around the area with an International visitor this week and he was amazed to see so many cricket clubs in such a small area. Greensborough, Riverside, Lower Plenty and Montmerency are all located within 1km of each other (as the crow flies). In the HDCA, you have Heidelberg, Heidelberg West, Banyule, Viewbank and Rosanna all within 1km of each other.
Greensborough and Heidelberg are not growth areas, so how can we continue to run effective, financial clubs in a shrinking market?
I believe everyone will benefit in the long term, but there will definitely be some heartache at certain clubs in the short term. We may even see some clubs merge or disappear all together. We saw that this year with Research and Eltham College. there will be more to come.
Change is not necessarily a bad thing if it is done with the right intentions and my own personal feelings are that this is a step in the right direction.
Time will tell if it is managed effectively and successfully

Well put TGAT, make some very good points.

I think that this more is a very positive one, and a move that if ran well and effectively then in the next few years we will be the strongest local competition going around in Victoria (if not Australia).

Traveling may be an issue for some, but it doesnt have to be an issue.

One way to run this competition would simply be to divide the competition geographically, with East and West divisions, bit like how they run it in the VSDCA.

Then have in the very very top grade, a mixture of both, with the being like the Northern Regional Shield comprising of sides from both East and West, and play throughout the season with finals in March.

Then have something like East Division 1, East Division 2, West Division 1, West Division 2.

Winners of East and West Div. 1 would both be promoted to the top grade, last finishing East side, and last finished West side in the top grade are both relegated.

Winner of East 2 goes up for Last in East 1, and same for the West side.

Then you just have East C Grade, East D Grade etc, and same on the West.

You also have the One Day Competition, even East ODC, West ODC.

I think that dividing it geographically is the way to go, with ultimately clubs thriving to reach the best of the best in the top grade. It isnt that difficult to come up with something like this that will work, and it also takes away that issue of having to travel too far.

I do agree that some clubs may struggle, and mergers and even clubs folding may be on the cards, but I think these clubs will struggle to keep alive on there own even in there current association, not really this new competition to blame.

Sure there may be some flaws in the new competition, and many DVCA people love the comp to much for how it is at the moment, for me though, I'm looking forward to this change and the new challenges ahead.
smile.png

I think that this more is a very positive one, and a move that if ran well and effectively then in the next few years we will be the strongest local competition going around in Victoria (if not Australia).

One way to run this competition would simply be to divide the competition geographically, with East and West divisions, bit like how they run it in the VSDCA.

Then have in the very very top grade, a mixture of both, with the being like the Northern Regional Shield comprising of sides from both East and West, and play throughout the season with finals in March.

Then have something like East Division 1, East Division 2, West Division 1, West Division 2.

Winners of East and West Div. 1 would both be promoted to the top grade, last finishing East side, and last finished West side in the top grade are both relegated.

I think that dividing it geographically is the way to go, with ultimately clubs thriving to reach the best of the best in the top grade. It isnt that difficult to come up with something like this that will work, and it also takes away that issue of having to travel too far.

I do agree that some clubs may struggle, and mergers and even clubs folding may be on the cards, but I think these clubs will struggle to keep alive on there own even in there current association, not really this new competition to blame.

Sure there may be some flaws in the new competition, and many DVCA people love the comp to much for how it is at the moment, for me though, I'm looking forward to this change and the new challenges ahead. :)

Hey Big Fraca, I think you miss the point, (he says politely) we arent VSDCA and dont want to be, I dont want to play clubs every 3rd year, its ****************. I want to play the clappers, mont, plenty, I want to play the same blokes each year, gob off at them all day, then have a beer, hopefully after we've beaten them.

Listen to Mark Maxwell on the radio this morning it sounded far from a done deal, and I'd be interested to see what the DVCA constuitution says on how these matters need to be treated.

My initial reaction is that this doesnt benefit the dvca, and isnt something I'd support personally or as a club exec (If I was one still). Cant answer the survey because I dont know who will benefit, or more importantly how they will benefit?

Love the association as is, luv playing riverside, mont, lowers, creek, plenty, etc, as is this is deminishing. Dont need to play a bunch of rabble from NMCA, 86 grades, 50 clubs, 3 sides per club, that type of thing.

Bigger isnt better.

Assume the DVCA will need a vote of clubs to merge, cant see it getting up.

Australia Day 2011 Rabble 2 DVCA 0

Sure there may be some flaws in the new competition, and many DVCA people love the comp to much for how it is at the moment, for me though, I'm looking forward to this change and the new challenges ahead. :)

I agree on dividing it up geographically. But even better, we could divide it up in to 3 groups. The teams around heidelberg could play together, the teams near preston could all play together and the teams near greensborough could all play together. Athough that idea does sound familiar.

Look I believe we need to sit down and see what the dvca have to say before we agree or disagree. However as a whole I don't have a problem with the bigger clubs like your Rosanna, heidelberg and banyule joining. What I don't want to see is these little clubs with 1-2 teams joining the comp. For example in Preston there is about 5 clubs and the same in reservoir. These clubs need to be advised they need to merge and become one club.

I was having a look at the nmca website and I don't think there is 1 club named after a suburb entirely, but I might be wrong.

Look I believe we need to sit down and see what the dvca have to say before we agree or disagree. However as a whole I don't have a problem with the bigger clubs like your Rosanna, heidelberg and banyule joining. What I don't want to see is these little clubs with 1-2 teams joining the comp. For example in Preston there is about 5 clubs and the same in reservoir. These clubs need to be advised they need to merge and become one club.

I was having a look at the nmca website and I don't think there is 1 club named after a suburb entirely, but I might be wrong.

In Jika, it seems they name their teams after people, countries or animals or other sports such as Cameron CC and Dennis CC, Fiji Victorian CC, Cobras CC. They also have clubs called Colts, Baseballers and Footballers. As for Donath CC, I think they just made that one up as a joke.

This forum is a cracker. If it is used to generate ideas and have a quality debate about the issues at hand it may even be quite useful.
For the record NMCA do have a bunch of small clubs and if and when the Northern Cricket League gets going it will be a challenge for these clubs.

6 of the 23 NMCA clubs have names that are not a suburb. Cricket clubs have different origins, so what?

Is "five 80" suggesting the 8 cricket clubs based in Preston should all just be called .....Preston, Lalor and Lalor Stars should just be called ...Lalor, the 3 Bundoora clubs......Bundoora, Riverside and Greensborough....Greensborough?

This forum is a cracker. If it is used to generate ideas and have a quality debate about the issues at hand it may even be quite useful.
For the record NMCA do have a bunch of small clubs and if and when the Northern Cricket League gets going it will be a challenge for these clubs.

6 of the 23 NMCA clubs have names that are not a suburb. Cricket clubs have different origins, so what?

Is "five 80" suggesting the 8 cricket clubs based in Preston should all just be called .....Preston, Lalor and Lalor Stars should just be called ...Lalor, the 3 Bundoora clubs......Bundoora, Riverside and Greensborough....Greensborough?

There are 8 cricket clubs in Preston? That is incredible, must be hard work for them. You would think 2 clubs per suburb should be enough. I can't see Riverside and Greensborough merging somehow.

There are 8 cricket clubs in Preston? That is incredible, must be hard work for them. You would think 2 clubs per suburb should be enough. I can't see Riverside and Greensborough merging somehow.

Darebin Chargers, Northern Socials, Preston Baseballers, Preston Druids, Preston Footballers, West Preston and of course Preston subbies. That's 7. (Preston YCW Dist are based in Reservoir). All have juniors except Darebin Chargers. West Preston have 2 senior teams and the rest have 3 senior teams or more. They will all find it hard to survive with or without a merger.
Heidelberg , Heidelberg West and Banyule are virtually in the same park. Banyule and Heidelberg are great clubs. Mont and Lower Plenty likewise. The whole region is amazing in this context. 3 clubs in Bundoora, 5 in Heidelberg, 4 in Ivanhoe and 6 in Reservoir.
More ideas like TGAT and the Big Frack. What about the junior setup? How do other big comps set up their structure?

I genuinely cannot see the benefit, I really can't. Bigger is not better and I could not care less about creating a super comp.

If the idea is to create a better pathway for juniors to higher level then create something but taking my ability to have friendly rivalries with clubs I have played against for years and enjoyed playing against them and having a beer with.

But it looks like the decision has been made for us. Look out golf course he I come on Saturdays.

If this merger happened I wonder how many DVCA cricketers would just pull the pin altogether. Lets be honest, the idea of heading over to Preston for a cricket match isn't that appealing. It's not being disrespectful to the Jika boys, but it's recreational cricket and it's supposed to be easy. You're right 'CC', Golf becomes an easier option. People these days are pressed for time as it is with kids, work and other commitments. We'd probably lose a fair few juniors too, It's hard enough for some parents to get their kids to the game by 5pm on Friday night as it is. I really can't see Diamond Valley parents wanting to drive over to Preston, Fitzroy or Strathewan every second Friday night.

A lot of clubs in the same area - isn't that what "local" is all about.
I agree that a lot of small clubs will fall fate to the bigger picture and long term plans, but clubs with a lot of history and not just made in the last decade (a fair few of the 'Preston' area clubs) should not have their hand forced.
Riverside, Greensborough and Bundoora, even though very close in proximity, all have great support and would be able to stand on their own in the new format. As would Lower Plenty and Montmorency - neighbours, yet rivals would both survive with large followings.

Just attended the Delegates meeting. There will be an email sent to Clubs tomorrow for expressions of interest to be involved in a steering committee to look at how this could work. Will be a lot of work, but I am excited we have a direction worth exploring.
Let's not knock it, but get involved by giving honest feedback to the subcommittee as this progresses. If you feel so strong about things, lets use real names.

Just attended the Delegates meeting. There will be an email sent to Clubs tomorrow for expressions of interest to be involved in a steering committee to look at how this could work. Will be a lot of work, but I am excited we have a direction worth exploring.
Let's not knock it, but get involved by giving honest feedback to the subcommittee as this progresses. If you feel so strong about things, lets use real names.

Welcome to the forum Wobble!

Based on what I know I dont like it, see previous posts. I'm a supporter of the executive and due process, and you are right it is a direction worth exploring for the exec, thats what they are there for - Craig Vaughan BCC

Back