DVCA Off-Season 2021

As long as no one from the club has the right to ask for your vax status.
#fullyvaxxed

That would also mean the DVCA or Cricket Australia couldn't ask such a thing either and frankly, they can't under current law. I know I'm invoking the slippery slope fallacy, but it does have precedent. Imagine you suddenly allow organisations to enquire as to the medical procedures you've had. A vaccination is a medical procedure, but what if a club paying money for a player wants to know if he has had any knee surgery, or have they had any stress fractures. A company hiring you wants to know if you've had a heart attack or if you are diabetic, that's scary stuff because you're on the brink of creating an underclass of people who can't get a job or partake in recreational activities. I realise that is taking things to the extreme, but you have got to be careful of the legal and ethical precedents you set and current laws are in place to stop exactly that happening.

I think what we're all skirting around is the issue of; what happens if there is an outbreak in the competition, who is liable? Clearly this issue would come under voluntary assumption of risk, the same as we accept that injury or even death could happen as the result of the game. Negligence is something you cannot indemnify yourself against, so would be allowing an unvaccinated player to compete result in a claim of negligence? I don't think so on two fronts; we already may have unvaccinated players in the competition, who knows if everyone has had their triple antigen shots? Some of you older players for example may not have had the chicken pox vaccine. Secondly, the risks of not being vaccinated are now well known and by the time the season rolls around everyone will have had the opportunity to get a vaccination. If you can't sue Coles for catching a virus in their store, you can't sue the comp or club if you catch a virus on the field.

Yeh, splitting hairs calling it a "vaccine passport" it's still an invasion of medical privacy no matter what you call it.
I think our “privacy’s” have well and truly been invaded over the years and my iPhone already knows everything about me, so a vaccine passport isn’t going to change that much! I imagine it will be part of registration and I personally don’t have an issue with it.

As most guys who play cricket like going to the pub and sporting events where it will be compulsory, I’m anticipating most of, if not all will be fully vaccinated prior.

I manage a young racing car driver and he will need to be double dosed to compete, along with all officials and spectators. It’s the way of the world, so let’s move forward and get on with it!

I think our “privacy’s” have well and truly been invaded over the years and my iPhone already knows everything about me, so a vaccine passport isn’t going to change that much! I imagine it will be part of registration and I personally don’t have an issue with it.

As most guys who play cricket like going to the pub and sporting events where it will be compulsory, I’m anticipating most of, if not all will be fully vaccinated prior.

I manage a young racing car driver and he will need to be double dosed to compete, along with all officials and spectators. It’s the way of the world, so let’s move forward and get on with it!
Great point.

From the Herald Sun today.

Dire state of local sporting clubs revealed
Fears of bankruptcy, stressed volunteers and a player exodus — the dire state of grassroots sports clubs has been laid bare in a national survey.

Grassroots Aussie sports clubs have serious concerns about their survival as they struggle to retain players, volunteers and a positive balance sheet.
New research to be released on Tuesday reveals a stark picture of the state of community sport in the wake of Covid-19 lockdowns.
A national study by the Australian Sports Foundation found 13 per cent of clubs – about 9000 in total – had fears of insolvency as their revenue dried up during lockdowns.
Twice as many clubs reported a decline in participant numbers compared to this time last year, with 40 per cent revealing kids aged 11-18 were the most common players quitting sport.
And one in two clubs were unable to retain volunteers with an already heavy workload who had been stressed by additional responsibilities such as new Covid-19 safety protocols and mental health support.
Australian Sports Foundation chief Patrick Walker told the Herald Sun smaller clubs had lost more than $11,000 on average with larger community organisations $18,000 out of pocket.

“There are a number of clubs who said ‘we’re teetering on the brink’,’’ he said.

“I would say that Victoria has been hit worse than anyone, because the lockdowns there have been worst than anywhere else.

‘But Victoria, NSW and ACT are all doing it pretty tough.’’

But the reality could be even worse for community clubs because the findings did not take in the full impact of the Delta outbreak.

“I think these stats underplay what clubs are facing right now,’’ he said.

“This survey was open from mid June to mid July, so the full impact of Delta lockdowns won’t have been felt in this.

“It’s a really bleak picture and it’s probably getting worse by the week.’’

Covid-19 lockdowns have impacted almost all traditional sources of fundraising clubs

normally turn to, such as events, sausage sizzles are either difficult or impossible, pie nights and meat raffles.

Somerville Cricket Club chair Peter Alp said the road map out of lockdown delivered by Premier Daniel Andrews had also made it tough on clubs.

“Because we haven’t been able to meet it’s pretty hard to gauge the level of interest, the level of support in terms of players, supporters, sponsors,’’ he said.

“And at the moment, the way that Dan is running things, there is no surety whatsoever and we don’t know when we will be able to start, train or what our finances are going to be like.’’

The survey revealed one in 10 clubs feared financial insolvency, 83 per cent had lost revenue,

90 per cent had decreasing or stagnant financial reserves and 60 per cent were worried about retaining members.

The most common increased costs included new hygiene measures, member refunds due to shortened or abandoned seasons and increased insurance despite reductions in competition.

Cricket Australia head of participation Stuart Whiley said it was “acutely aware of the importance of cricket in our communities and the challenges the global pandemic has created for local clubs.’’

“Thanks to the dedication and hard work of club volunteers, cricket was able to resume last season after some delays allowing teammates, families and friends to reconnect,’’ he said.

“We are confident this will be the case again.’’

He said some fundraising activities could continue and funding relief was available to clubs concerned about revenue shortfalls.

“Our advice to cricketers wanting to support their local club is to register now, if you are able, so your club can plan with some confidence for the season to come,’’ he said. The foundation has launched a “Back to Sport Fund” to provide tax deductible donations to support the recovery of community sports.

Go to https://recovery.sportsfoundation.org.au/donate-to-covid/ to donate.

Out of curiosity with the above in mind, without obviously revealing your club unless you want do I'm genuinely curious, how did everyone's club perform last year and has covid impacted like it has for a lot of clubs financially?

Out of curiosity with the above in mind, without obviously revealing your club unless you want do I'm genuinely curious, how did everyone's club perform last year and has covid impacted like it has for a lot of clubs financially?

We will be okay although obviously absorbed financial loss. Few mates I've spoken to aren't as confident, some clubs don't have the infrastructure to turn a profit year to year and rely solely on bar takings to stay afloat. Its not as though clubs have a rainy day fund, hopefully fundraisers can be organised as soon as possible to get the ball rolling for clubs, they are going to have to roll their sleeves up and find a way somehow cause these assistance packages won't be the answer.

That's not really a good enough reason to compel people to get a medical procedure. At what point do we say no to medical fascism and expect people to actually look after their own health? Besides which, why does anyone care if someone isn't vaccinated and they are? At that point the vaccinated are more of a risk to the unvaccinated.

I think we pulled through fine, even had 5 senior teams for the first time in many years.

That's not really a good enough reason to compel people to get a medical procedure. At what point do we say no to medical fascism and expect people to actually look after their own health? Besides which, why does anyone care if someone isn't vaccinated and they are? At that point the vaccinated are more of a risk to the unvaccinated.

I think we pulled through fine, even had 5 senior teams for the first time in many years.
I asked around a few of our older wiser heads at the club, they said they haven’t had any directions yet, but it will be a requirement to play they believe. To be able to enter rooms as well. Not sure how it will be policed. But once the government gives the directions, local comps and cricket Victoria will send out forms along with registration for players.

I asked around a few of our older wiser heads at the club, they said they haven’t had any directions yet, but it will be a requirement to play they believe. To be able to enter rooms as well. Not sure how it will be policed. But once the government gives the directions, local comps and cricket Victoria will send out forms along with registration for players.
What kind of a world do we live in now. Seriously. The “just do it and shut up” approach that the majority have taken just doesn’t sit well with me.

Surely a common sense approach. You show your vaccination proof, which is in your Apple wallet, club acknowledges it and you’re all sweet?

Feel it’ll only be an issue while the kids aren’t vaccinated.
the only reason you wouldn’t want to show you are fully vaccinated is most likely because you aren’t.. otherwise there shouldn’t be a problem?
Possibility for a non vaccinated Comp and a vaccinated comp?

let’s leave it up to the big dogs at city hall to solve it.

I did hear 45 overs and one day now confirmed for all grades?
Where did they settle on the bowling restrictions?

the only reason you wouldn’t want to show you are fully vaccinated is most likely because you aren’t.. otherwise there shouldn’t be a problem?

If that happened, nobody from @ElthamCC should get the vax and they might get to win something. Probably by default but still, would be nice for the fellas at panther place.

Last edited:
Now that we know round 1 is 13th of November. I dare say if previous years are to go buy. We might have a fixture release around the 10th of November…

There was talk of you have to use 5 bowlers.
4x10 overs
1x5 overs.
IMO just make it 5 bowlers of 9 overs.

Genuine question, not trying to get anyone in trouble here so I won't say the club and noticed a coach and 7 players in the nets this week then proceed to do fielding drills, is this allowed and are all clubs doing this? I know my club were told to find someone in their 5know 10k and have a hit with them.

Back