DVCA Off-Season 2022

I don't think we should knee jerk and just outright take cricket away from October. Playing less cricket isn't the answer, it won't always be this wet.

I don't think we should knee jerk and just outright take cricket away from October. Playing less cricket isn't the answer, it won't always be this wet.

It is the answer though. Numbers have dropped off a cliff. 2 clubs have literally folded this season.

Playing more cricket absolutely isnt the answer.

Let's just hold our horses for a second, we've been somewhat lucky with grounds last two seasons not just cause we started mid nov but there also was ************ all winter sport on them grounds 10 games in the previous 2 seasons actually before this season + some crappy weather at the wrong time now doesn't help.

Let's just hold our horses for a second, we've been somewhat lucky with grounds last two seasons not just cause we started mid nov but there also was ************ all winter sport on them grounds 10 games in the previous 2 seasons actually before this season + some crappy weather at the wrong time now doesn't help.
Weird that it *** out me saying ************

Last edited by a moderator:
If you start cutting back other sports will jump on the opportunity and those lost times will never come back. I remember when Saturday morning juniors was abandoned, there were other sports just waiting to fill the void. Ok, so two clubs have gone, is this because of declining player numbers, or internal issues/politics? I think you will find it is the latter.

Are we any chance of getting on Saturday? Busting to play but the weather gods have been unkind to us non-Shield grade battlers. 😞 Hoping the rain eases up overnight and tomorrow is dry. 🤞

I wouldn't think we are much of a chance. The rain will probably stop overnight, but it won't be enough time for the grounds to dry sufficiently.

Restart the season after Cup week. All one dayers.

A few of us were talking tonight and this idea came up. Last year we started Nov 13th and played all 1 dayers, as suggested by one of us; just scrap the next 2 weeks, get the racing out of your system and kick off fresh on Nov 12th for a 1 day season. That way you're also giving the grounds some time to dry out and get ready. I know our home ground will take at least 2 weeks to get match ready, virtually 0 chance of the game on Saturday going ahead, even if it stops raining now.

A few of us were talking tonight and this idea came up. Last year we started Nov 13th and played all 1 dayers, as suggested by one of us; just scrap the next 2 weeks, get the racing out of your system and kick off fresh on Nov 12th for a 1 day season. That way you're also giving the grounds some time to dry out and get ready. I know our home ground will take at least 2 weeks to get match ready, virtually 0 chance of the game on Saturday going ahead, even if it stops raining now.
What about the games that have already been played?
Do those results still stand?

Very good idea and makes alot of sense. All One Dayers starting after Melb Cup and Preliminary Final inserted back into the fixture.

Great idea.

Surely the league will now take action.

Even next 4 weeks play 4 one dayers to catch up 2 extra rounds.

Round 3 Nov 5TH
Round 4 Nov 12th
Round 5 Nov 19th
Round 6 Nov 26th

Then round 7 as scheduled (First 2 dayer for the season) to start Dec 3rd & 10th.

Make it happen.

Back