Eca 2011/2012

I agree. I would love to see them beat MA and stay up, only so we can all keep playing at their ground. They have too many quality players to go down, I think.

What about GI v Ashy? Who are the players who will stand up and who will fail? Armstrong would want to get runs, because under the heat of real pressure, he's the one who is going to have to play his part. Personally I think Ashy will win and go into the 4 and probably go on to win it. They have classy players who have proven themselves in big games.

Based on last years encounter

Glen Iris 329
McDermott 149 (hasnt fired a shot this year), Gatehouse 61(playing 2s) & Grubich 53 (not a great year with bat or ball)
Swift 2 (6fa last week) and Goodwin 3

Ashy 139
Richards 44 (poor year this year)
Rojko 5 and Damyon 3 (both of these guys not playing)

Can't take much from that result so key players below

Armstrong, Stafford & Jamieson key players for Glen Iris
Cox, Swift & O'Bryan for Ashy

What happened in the ED Mulgrave game? No Play?

My tips although you would be mad to follow them.
Bears
Ashy
St Kev's
MA
Marcelin (alot to play for)
Boronia

Final four is therefore
Bears
Ashy
St Kevs
GI

Relegation
Bulleen
RC

Promotion
Surrey Hills
North Balwyn

(Interestingly Canterbury look like tumbling to B grade and honourable mention to GI 2nds finishing mid table in A turf)

As for all the noise about Bulleen staying up being good for the competition, you are only as good as your last season. History means nothing. Perform or perish. As for being worried about players leaving if they go down, probably not such a bad thing as they should take responsibility for the relegation. Class players would stay and fight for their spot in the team and get them back to Dunstan the next season (North Balwyn). Dunstan is not a right, it has to be earnt every season.

What a couple of weeks we are about to see unfold! Obviously we focus on Dunstan, but ladders across all turf grades seem to be jam packed... Looks like a really good even competition across the grades.

It would be ECA horror if Marc & Bullen both win, Mulgrave lose and get sent packing to A-Turf!

We had a discussion earlier in the season about which clubs are doing well across the board and which have been disappointing...
The good:
Deepdene - 1's & 2's currently in the 4.
GI - 2's have held their own in A-Turf so obviously a lot of depth there
Hawthorn & Skevs - Both 1's & 2's having decent seasons so far. This week onwards to mark their season.
Nth Balwyn - Pains me to say it, but all 4 turf sides are in finals.
Boronia - a club on the rise. Some good performances in the 1's and 2's look like getting promoted as well.

The bad:
Bulleen - 1's and 2's both possibly relegated
Mulgrave - 1's and 2's sitting 9th
Canterbury - they are in big strife. 2's possibly relegated from C-Turf as well.
Rich Union - Beaten outright twice in the B-Turf this year.

What a couple of weeks we are about to see unfold! Obviously we focus on Dunstan, but ladders across all turf grades seem to be jam packed... Looks like a really good even competition across the grades.

It would be ECA horror if Marc & Bullen both win, Mulgrave lose and get sent packing to A-Turf!

We had a discussion earlier in the season about which clubs are doing well across the board and which have been disappointing...
The good:
Deepdene - 1's & 2's currently in the 4.
GI - 2's have held their own in A-Turf so obviously a lot of depth there
Hawthorn & Skevs - Both 1's & 2's having decent seasons so far. This week onwards to mark their season.
Nth Balwyn - Pains me to say it, but all 4 turf sides are in finals.
Boronia - a club on the rise. Some good performances in the 1's and 2's look like getting promoted as well.

The bad:
Bulleen - 1's and 2's both possibly relegated
Mulgrave - 1's and 2's sitting 9th
Canterbury - they are in big strife. 2's possibly relegated from C-Turf as well.
Rich Union - Beaten outright twice in the B-Turf this year.
From the syntho section, Boroondara have their 1's and 2's on top of the ladder, and Burwood Uniting Canterbury have a few teams in the finals, and the only ECA team to make it to the T20 Final.
The Danny O'Shea led Burwood, oops, suspended! Have 3 out of 4 teams in the 4, but hopefully they don't come up to Dunstan.

Based on last years encounter

Glen Iris 329
McDermott 149 (hasnt fired a shot this year), Gatehouse 61(playing 2s) & Grubich 53 (not a great year with bat or ball)
Swift 2 (6fa last week) and Goodwin 3

Ashy 139
Richards 44 (poor year this year)
Rojko 5 and Damyon 3 (both of these guys not playing)

Can't take much from that result so key players below

Armstrong, Stafford & Jamieson key players for Glen Iris
Cox, Swift & O'Bryan for Ashy
Seems Stafford & Jamieson have replaced the old blokes in Rojko & Damyon.
Cox and Armstrong hold the key if either gets a start they have histroy in turning starts into big scores. The batting in both sides is potentially fragile outside of those two.

Seems Stafford & Jamieson have replaced the old blokes in Rojko & Damyon.
Cox and Armstrong hold the key if either gets a start they have histroy in turning starts into big scores. The batting in both sides is potentially fragile outside of those two.
Ok, everyones knows that Cox/Swift & Armstrong/Stafford are the go to men in each team and we have been on this topic before about picking them as BOG each week.

Who are the players in each team that have either stepped up in big games over the last few years, or been consistent throughout this year, with exception of the above players, discount poms/overseas players as there is not much to get from them in previous years?

Quick question terry, does the tipping include finals? If not, I'm going to have to go for broke to catch Bob.

Great last round coming up, bottom 4 are still not certain to stay up, and top 5 still not certain to make finals!

Only MA, ED & Boronia know their fate regarless of results.
i am making this up as I go along but let's include finals.

who cares.
who are the favourites for for the dunstan medal??? anyone got a top 3 or 5?
Not sure of other vote detracting contributions by his teammates (or oppo) but anyone that can take close to 40 wickets is having a bloody good year. Bowlers win games, batsman can save them. Therefore a bowlers contribution is greater imho....therefore Lilley.
For all round effort, Tongue.

Eddie Abel won the medal with 187 runs @ 18.7 and 22 wickets. Thats a bit embarassing considering the year that Davo and Thompson had. I think he should have handed it back.

Eddie Abel won the medal with 187 runs @ 18.7 and 22 wickets. Thats a bit embarassing considering the year that Davo and Thompson had. I think he should have handed it back.
It is not about how many runs or how many wickets! Its when you do it. Making runs at crucial times and taking wickets when they count is what its all about!!!!!.

It is not about how many runs or how many wickets! Its when you do it. Making runs at crucial times and taking wickets when they count is what its all about!!!!!.
Abel spent the whole year getting the tail out. I don't think he took a wicket of someone higher than 8. Did he actually make a score as well? He's the Dunstan Medal's answer to Shane Woewoedin.

Abel spent the whole year getting the tail out. I don't think he took a wicket of someone higher than 8. Did he actually make a score as well? He's the Dunstan Medal's answer to Shane Woewoedin.
Agree, don't know how they landed on him.

If you look at the Champion Player points on MyCricket from last year, Abel was ranked at a mere 15, how they looked passed 14 others and got to him.

Agree, don't know how they landed on him.

If you look at the Champion Player points on MyCricket from last year, Abel was ranked at a mere 15, how they looked passed 14 others and got to him.
I take it you look at Champion Data to work out who was BOG in AFL games do you Golf Club? What if a fullback kept Tony Lockett goal less but only had 3 kicks himself? He would be ranked 22nd in his side on stats but if you ask anyone at the ground who had the greatest impact im sure he would be right up there....stats can be manipulated.
Besides that, you are always going to get a different version from umpires than what we as competitors see...thats why the best award is players player. or say a club best and fairest, voted by the coaches who know what job you were asked to do and the impact it had on the result....

I take it you look at Champion Data to work out who was BOG in AFL games do you Golf Club? What if a fullback kept Tony Lockett goal less but only had 3 kicks himself? He would be ranked 22nd in his side on stats but if you ask anyone at the ground who had the greatest impact im sure he would be right up there....stats can be manipulated.
Besides that, you are always going to get a different version from umpires than what we as competitors see...thats why the best award is players player. or say a club best and fairest, voted by the coaches who know what job you were asked to do and the impact it had on the result....

I wanna play at Glen Iris then, where my job each is to come on at the end of an innings, pick up 2 or 3 cheapies caught on the fence, maybe get a decent batsman out every now and then, and bat at 3 and be told that 8 scores under 14 and 1 x 50 is acceptable.

I wanna play at Glen Iris then, where my job each is to come on at the end of an innings, pick up 2 or 3 cheapies caught on the fence, maybe get a decent batsman out every now and then, and bat at 3 and be told that 8 scores under 14 and 1 x 50 is acceptable.
Maybe you do play there as you seem to know exactly what happened. Or did you come second in the medal that year...

Back