England in West Indies

Re: England in West Indies

Got up and put the tv on last night in time to see KP lose his offstump. It was a great ball, as much as I hate England sometimes you just have to give credit to the opposition. It was a great effort from Taylor, England probably have to drop Bell but apart from that i dont think there is much they can do.

WI were just too good and have been the better team for most of the test match apart from the short period where KP and Flintoff put together a good partnership in the first innings.

Benn has really impressed in just his 4th test. WI have to back it up now and win the 2nd test to make this victory more then just a feelgood moment.

Gayle is part of the reason for the improvement I believe. It seems that the captaincy has improved him as a player and he's improved the team as a captain. He's curbed his natural attacking instincts slightly and you can see that he really is a world class batsman (as anyone with a test triple hundred to their name should be).

Tell me about it and it seems like no-one knows what to do. Get rid of Bell, Collingwood and Panesar they're all saying here and bring back Vaughn some are saying. The games too complex for me to understand the subtleties of why some are better than others and why they should stay or go and I don't get the exposure on TV to other players to comment who might be able to replace the current crap players. But I've got to say this struck a chord with me - BBC SPORT | Cricket | England 'too matey' with Windies The England are too matey with the opposition aspect and the general sense of 'Who gives S**t' attitude that the England side display. They kind of walk off the pitch smiling as if they're saying to themselves 'Hold on let's have some perspective - we're not surgeons here - no one died - this is only a game after all..........' and then go back to their hotel safe in the knowledge that they'll be paid and obviously carry on in what looks like a cushy job. It's a bit like English football as Mas said.

Not sure if I agree with that. When a team loses lots of people, mainly in the media, come up with a range of theories. Hell, Robert Craddock still puts forward the theory that we lost the Ashes in 2005 because some of the WAGS had a little tiff or some crap.

The commentators had been saying before England collapsed that one bad session can cost the game, and thats exactly what happened. England were even with the Windies and probably felt confident of posting a total in the range of 250+ for the Windies to chase.

They weren't to matey at all, they just got hit by a great spell of bowling from Taylor. That can happen, these theories the media come up with are crap. Snubbing the opposition isnt going to help you get 20 wickets or is sledging.

Second test is about 10 minutes away. England have rung in the changes with Owais Shah and James Anderson coming in for Ian Bell and Stephen Harmison. West Indies have also made a change with Ryan Hinds replacing Xavier Marshall.

Chris Gayle won the toss and West Indies will bowl first, Strauss said he was going to bat anyway. The outfield is causing plenty of concern. After the World Cup, the surface was replaced but at the moment there's a lot of sand covering the ground, particularly oin the outfield and in amongst the bowlers' run-ups.

West Indies XI: *Chris Gayle, Devon Smith, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Brendan Nash, Ryan Hinds, +Denesh Ramdin, Jerome Taylor, Sulieman Benn, Daren Powell, Fidel Edwards

England XI: *Andrew Strauss, Owais Shah, Alistair Cook, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, +Matthew Prior, Stuart Broad, Ryan Sidebottom, Monty Panesar, James Anderson

Interesting to see Shah opening although with Bell out I suppose there's no-one else. Surprising to see Cook at three rather than opening although that might change.

I would have preffered to see Collingwood dropped and Bell stuck down the order were he is more comfortable.

Anyways Carn The Windies!

Cook's opening, Shah to come in at three.

0/6 from 1.2 overs and we're going off for rain. Taylor bowled the first over and was kicking up sand with every step he took in his run-up. Hopefully it's only a brief shower.

We're back, 0/7 from 1.4.

Edwards has aborted his run-up three times in this over with Taylor doing it once in the over before. Now Edwards and Gayle are talking to the umpires. This is a little ridiculous.

Now there's a massive conference. Strauss, the England captain has joined the discussion and match referee Alan Hurst is making his away across to join proceedings.

We could have another aborted test match here.

This is almost exactly the same as the Sabina Park test in 97-98 which was abandoned after the English players were struck seven times in ten overs. The game was called off after 10.2 overs following 90 minutes of discussions and it was decided that the game be called off. An additional game was scheduled to replace the abandoned one.

Edit: Play abandoned for the day, Viv Richards is going mental in the commentary box, saying the ground shouldn't bear his name.

Jesus, what a joke this has turned out to be. Hurst has even contemplated moving the match to another ground, perhaps St John's or even extending the time of the test to allow the ground to become more stable. There may even be back-to-back tests in Barbados.

So, that's it. All over on day one with only 1.4 overs bowled. England are 0/7 with Strauss on six and Cook on one and I reckon that will be it for the entire test unless another venue can be arranged. What a bizarre day this is.

they are moving it to the antigua recreation ground to start on sunday but this test will count of a abandonded 2nd test and the sunday one will no be the 3rd, absolute farce this is. On another note nice to see england have finally got shah in the side

postmanpav;325035 said:
I would have preffered to see Collingwood dropped and Bell stuck down the order were he is more comfortable.

Anyways Carn The Windies!
Yeah lets drop players who can make runs so Bell can be more comfortable :rolleyes:

A joke of a situation WI cricket board has got itself into.
Shah should've been playing in this ENG team a long time ago.. going to need that batting depth to better the world beating 51 in their last full innings.

Back