GCA & BPCA match previews and reviews

Re: GCA & BPCA match previews and reviews

by Tim Michell

Queenscliff and Portarlington headline a massive weekend of Bellarine cricket, as the league moves into the fourth round of the season. The Coutas return to action after a bye last weekend, and will be refreshed for the challenge that lies ahead at Portarlington. Paul McGrath was at his devastating best last weekend for the Demons, and will be out to send shudders through the Queenscliff top order this weekend. The Coutas currently sit second to Barwon Heads, but need to show they can defeat the leagues usual suspects to highlight themselves as a serious threat. This weekend will give them the chance to do just that.

Top of the table Barwon Heads play host to Wallington, who were gallant in defeat last weekend. While all signs point to a Seagulls win, one day fixtures are often fickle, and the reigning premiers will need to be on their toes against the Wallabies. Damian Biemans was amongst the runs for the first time for his new club last weekend, although claiming the key wickets of Chris Welsford and Jason Mallett early will be the key to any chance Wallington harbours.

Geelong West will be looking to restore some credibility after its dismal effort against Collendina last weekend. The Cheetahs were routed for 51, likely to be one of the lowest totals of the year, and now face winless Drysdale. The Hawks were soundly beaten last weekend, although the return of Josh Inglis provided one positive for Mark Adams side. Whichever side can seize the initiative in the early stages of the weekends game should claim victory.

Barrabool will be hunting for its first victory over the year against Collendina. The Bulls return to their home patch after a loss to Jan Juc last weekend, desperately needing their first points of the season. The Bulls weer tipped as one the big improvers in their second season in the BPCA, but have surrendered that mantle to Anglesea after dropping their first three games. Four consecutive losses would make any finals push very difficult, making this game all the more important for Barrabool.

Newcomb and Jan Juc meet in what promises to be a salivating clash. The Bulls were competitive against competition front runners St Albans last weekend, while Jan Juc claimed their first points by defeating Barrabool. If Aaron and Jules Muncey fire with the ball again, then it could be a long day for Newcomb. Matthew Price will have his side ready for battle though, and if Mark Jackson can continue his good form with the bat, anything is possible.

Ocean Grove and St Albans/Breakwater meet in a rematch of last years semi final, headlining round four action. The Grubbers dropped their first points of the season last weekend, while the Saints produced a scratchy win. At their best, St Albans can play some irresistible cricket, but if the Grubbers can find early wickets as Newcomb did last weekend, an upset is not out of the question.

Barwon Heads and St Albans/Breakwater will represent the BPCA this Sunday in the opening round of the VB Twenty-20 competition. The Saints tackle last years GCA Division 2 premiers Waurn Ponds at Breakwater Oval next Wednesday, while Barwon Heads have an early start, beginning at 9:30am at Grovedale on Sunday.

The Seagulls face the unenviable task of taking on last years Division 1 premier on their home track. Although many of their players have turf experience, backing up from their game on Saturday may prove difficult. Then again, Twenty-20 cricket produces upsets in abundance, and after an unbeaten start to the season, it would not surprise if Barwon Heads overcome the Tigers.

Playing at home on a Wednesday night, the Saints will be heavy favourites against an out of sorts Waurn Ponds, which has relied heavily on their coach Shane Skene in the opening round of the GCA Division 2 season.

this is just off the bpca website

Ok Match Review

St Albans/Breakwater V Ocean Grove
Venue-Ocean Grove

The Supasaints venture out to Ocean Grove on Saturday in a semi final replay from last year, in what was a spiteful sledge filled encounter (but we still had a beer with them after the game...Scotty) that saw us chase down 280 odd. We have got a number of players back this week including Sean O'Leary, Robbie Cutajar and Nick mmlalayccuidusifdtyut :D back from Adelaide. We are taking a fairly aggresive batting side into the game and we would hope to be posting a fairly sizeable target if we bat first. If Grove bat first we will have to bowl fairly tightly to try and restrict them to a getable score as they have had a few guys in form and always play good cricket. Jay has been consistently getting wickets and Ernie returned to some form last week getting a few when the pressure was on towards the end of the game. Meanwhile Muz has been bowling with good pace, Jonesy's bowling last week was back to his best and Macca has been pushing into a gale every week just to make these other two show ponies feel good with a wind at their back!

All in all it should be a fairly close game with both teams needing to get off to a good start. If either team get away to a flyer with the bat it may be a very high scoring game with the short square boundaries enabling the vetran to smack a few large ones towards the end.

seriously should be a good, hard game, always is against Grove.

CMON SUPASAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thevetran;278991 said:
write your own ya little thief!!! Tim Michel will sue your ass!!! :D

I'll let that one slide Blayne. Only because you are a good bloke though! haha. I don't mind if you take them for here mate, that is fine.

Tim

Solid Defence;279012 said:
I'll let that one slide Blayne. Only because you are a good bloke though! haha. I don't mind if you take them for here mate, that is fine.

Tim

cheers mate..just thought id get your name out and about!! keep up the good work my friend :D:D

NORTH GEELONG vs GEELONG WEST

north geelong won the toss and elected to field at a match that was played at geelong college prepatory school, on a ground that looked as though it could have a bit in it for the bowlers. scown took an early wicket but a small partnership was made between talarico and chapple, until talarico lost his wicket for 30. this sparked a collapse, as all of a sudden geelong west were 6-83 heading into break with loftus and armstrong at the crease, with loftus showing ominous signs. this continued after the break, as loftus took control from one end whilst he was aptly supported by tailenders, armstrong, wight and allthorpe. finally loftus was dismissed by millard for 117, but the damage had already been done as geelong west were dismissed for 221 from 74 overs. this left 7 overs for the north openers to face out which they did well, heading into stumps at 0-16. anthony armistead took 4-74 and brad scown took 3-73 from 24 overs each.

arriving at the ground for the second saturday was strange from the get go, as there were shambles with the wicket as it had not been cut or rolled since about wednesday night by the looks of things. aftera delay of an hour, play kicked off at around 2pm and north lost two quick wickets to sam loftus in the space of 3 overs of sam hall and colin millard. danny tielens and anthony armistead put on 49 for the third wicket but another double up of wickets of both those two batsman put north on the back foot and they never reall recovered. wickets were lost regularly for the rest of the day and after going in confident of chasind down the 200 plus target, north were embarassingly bowled out for 136 from 77 overs. glen talarico was the pick of the bowlers with 5-16 from 16 overs, whilst danny tielens made 33 for the magpies.

Right match review
St Albans V Ocean Grove at Ocean Grove

We won the toss and batted making 143 off 39 overs on a very very slow ground, we thought that we were a fair shot at defending that and things started well when we had em 1 for about 5, then 2 for about 10 and wickets tumbled regularly to see Ocean Grove sitting on 6 for 40, with a couple of rain delays the match was reduced to 34 overs for Grove to bat. we got them about 8 for 60 with 12 overs to go and Tim Rundle and Luke Hardiman batted the remaining overs out, with Grove finishing on about 8 for 90.

Nick Mallyon 40
Muz 20 odd
Johnny 20 odd

Bowling
Macca 4 for
Jonesy 3 for
Muz 1 for.......and he is still looking for the bloke that spanked us in the semi final last year, it's a pity that bloke had his stumps knocked out first ball by the vetran and I don't have the heart to tell Muz, but I did take a photo of him in the outfield waiting for the mentioned batter to arrive at the crease.
15115_image_file_1.jpg
:D

thevetran;279477 said:
Right match review
St Albans V Ocean Grove at Ocean Grove

We won the toss and batted making 143 off 39 overs on a very very slow ground, we thought that we were a fair shot at defending that and things started well when we had em 1 for about 5, then 2 for about 10 and wickets tumbled regularly to see Ocean Grove sitting on 6 for 40, with a couple of rain delays the match was reduced to 34 overs for Grove to bat. we got them about 8 for 60 with 12 overs to go and Tim Rundle and Luke Hardiman batted the remaining overs out, with Grove finishing on about 8 for 90.

Nick Mallyon 40
Muz 20 odd
Johnny 20 odd

Bowling
Macca 4 for
Jonesy 3 for
Muz 1 for.......and he is still looking for the bloke that spanked us in the semi final last year, it's a pity that bloke had his stumps knocked out first ball by the vetran and I don't have the heart to tell Muz, but I did take a photo of him in the outfield waiting for the mentioned batter to arrive at the crease.
15115_image_file_1.jpg
:D
Hey veteran when r u going to get to bowl in front of murray and jones with the wind at ur back?

know all;279490 said:
Hey veteran when r u going to get to bowl in front of murray and jones with the wind at ur back?

Never, those two show ponies won't do the hard yards!!!:D The wind was so strong at Ocean Grove
1172567754_6984567816.jpg

Besides if a bowled with the wind they would go straight!!!! and you know what that means, that means I get carted!!!:D

South Barwon versus Newtown 1st XI

Newtown started the day looking at chasing down the imposing total of 393 for victory and it did not start well when in the first over Beefy Anderton took the wicket of the in form opening batsmen Alexander Stanly for zero. From this point on the Swans were on top with Ando picking up the first three wickets including the important wicket of Newtown's captain Clarke. A partnership took place between Mathieson and English import Michael Comber before a few quick wickets between the Hauenstein brothers to see Newtown go to the main break about 6-90 off 43 overs. After the break a terrible misfield from Whittingham turned into a run-out in the first over after the resumption and with Beefy back into the attack wickets fell at a regular interval with the Big man finishing with 5/21 in a good display of pace bowling. Newtown eventually got to 143 with a highlight coming in the second last over when Cam Russell took over 20 off a Blyth over including a couple of big sixers.
South went into bat again and finished at 0/39 before the game was called off. A big game now looms in Round 5 with two of the undefeated teams in South Barwon and East Belmont meeting.

What was the go with the draw in the OG vs St Albans game? Was it too dark or something to finish off the overs??

Solid Defence;279621 said:
What was the go with the draw in the OG vs St Albans game? Was it too dark or something to finish off the overs??

there was a rain delay and yer i think must have been light in the end

ants14;279474 said:
NORTH GEELONG vs GEELONG WEST

north geelong won the toss and elected to field at a match that was played at geelong college prepatory school, on a ground that looked as though it could have a bit in it for the bowlers. scown took an early wicket but a small partnership was made between talarico and chapple, until talarico lost his wicket for 30. this sparked a collapse, as all of a sudden geelong west were 6-83 heading into break with loftus and armstrong at the crease, with loftus showing ominous signs. this continued after the break, as loftus took control from one end whilst he was aptly supported by tailenders, armstrong, wight and allthorpe. finally loftus was dismissed by millard for 117, but the damage had already been done as geelong west were dismissed for 221 from 74 overs. this left 7 overs for the north openers to face out which they did well, heading into stumps at 0-16. anthony armistead took 4-74 and brad scown took 3-73 from 24 overs each.

arriving at the ground for the second saturday was strange from the get go, as there were shambles with the wicket as it had not been cut or rolled since about wednesday night by the looks of things. aftera delay of an hour, play kicked off at around 2pm and north lost two quick wickets to sam loftus in the space of 3 overs of sam hall and colin millard. danny tielens and anthony armistead put on 49 for the third wicket but another double up of wickets of both those two batsman put north on the back foot and they never reall recovered. wickets were lost regularly for the rest of the day and after going in confident of chasind down the 200 plus target, north were embarassingly bowled out for 136 from 77 overs. glen talarico was the pick of the bowlers with 5-16 from 16 overs, whilst danny tielens made 33 for the magpies.

bloody talarico, too many shpw much too much respect to this very average bowler, just coz he is a good bat doesnt mean he is agood bowler, for years i atacked this bloke and he had very little succes against me, i told others the same and sure enough they started to attck him with success. he is not that goods woth the ball and you should back ya self agains thim, he is an arrogant batsmen who doenst bowl that well, smash him over his overgrown head. if i can hit him for six almost evry time i face him surely others can, coz i aint bradman.

sorry for they typo errors bys, but i been on the gad today, hahahahahah!!!!:D:D:D:D its all true though.

crktluva;279737 said:
bloody talarico, too many shpw much too much respect to this very average bowler, just coz he is a good bat doesnt mean he is agood bowler, for years i atacked this bloke and he had very little succes against me, i told others the same and sure enough they started to attck him with success. he is not that goods woth the ball and you should back ya self agains thim, he is an arrogant batsmen who doenst bowl that well, smash him over his overgrown head. if i can hit him for six almost evry time i face him surely others can, coz i aint bradman.
i did see the end of this game where talarico pikked up the last 4 wickets... it wasnt his great bowling getting the boys out.. it was the piss poor shots played by our guys

Solid Defence;279621 said:
Rain interupted, so the game was shortened to 34 overs for OG to bat.
For us to win we have to bowl them out, for them to win they have to make the runs!!

How you can have a draw in a 40 over 1 dayer is beyond me???:confused: but thems the rules I guess.

They scored 90 runs in 34 overs:mad:very exciting afternoon of cricket

its just another ridicuolous BPCA rule that makes no sense, Which of course ocean grove get the benefit of, disadvantages other teams that played better cricket in the same round but get no points.

i didnt play due to work so ill give my best account of the
WALLINGTON V HEADS.

Camo finally won a toss after losing about ten straight. bad start with 2/10 off 14. few partnerships then with boofa biemans making 35 odd, butch 35 odd and luke wright another 30 odd got the wallabies to 8/141 on a very slow ground. ok score for wally world against some tight bowling. les wallace 2/13 welsford 3/10, roos 2/16. Heads then started slow but kept wickets in hand with welsford departing first for 7, 1/35 off about 15 thern les wallace came in to up the ante and made a quick 26, 2/78 and evenly poised run rate wise, wallabies in it until about the 30th over then heads cruised a bit quicker to win in the 36 th over 4 down, jacko mallet batted thru for a steady but slow 52, wickets were spread for wallabies but heads just a bit better on the day. if its a bit wrong in parts i apologize boys, but its better than wasting a $1.10 on that crappertizer

Barwon Heads with some massive inclusions in the lead up to Christmas.

3 Current/Former GCC Players.

Back