GCA & BPCA match previews and reviews

Re: GCA & BPCA match previews and reviews

thevetran;279989 said:
With the age of these young blokes around now! vetran status is achieved when you have 10 beers or more, then actually feel like crap the next day!!

See into the wind=slow and swing!!!! with the wind=slow and straight!!!:D I know what I would rather be doing!!!! Knocking middle stumps out!!!!!!!! and laughing as they walk back to their terrible terrible stinking changerooms!!!:D

i qualify as a vet then, and i would rather bowl into it anyway, unless its coming back at me.

Highton Vs Thomson Match Report

Highton won the toss and decided to bat on what looked-like and was a very ordinary wicket.

K.Petterwood (3-21) and D.Riches (1-29) both got one each early, removing openers D.Holz (3) and A.Grant (3) before the score passed 15. L.Daffy (57) and B.Dodds (24) took the score to 2-25 off 26 overs at drinks. Some fine timing on the offside saw Dodds get to 24 before trying to repeat a pull shot to a ball that didn't get up from Adam "reigning McInerney/Fisher sheild winner" Wray (1-26). That wicket bought Gretgrix (55) to the crease and along with Daffy put on a 75 run partnership. Daffy bought up a fine half century before mistiming one of P.Featherston (1-32). Gretgrix continued on in his un-orthodox fashion only to get to 55 before being run out by from some quick glove work from C.Strods. The tail didn't wag as much as the Heat would have liked, mainly due to their need for quick runs at the end of the innings. The 85 overs were used up, Highton finishing 9/180.

Thomson came to bat after fridays rain unsure of the impact it would have on the wicket. J.McCoy (27) and C.Strods (18) started the Tigers off, with the score on 37 Highton Skipper L.Cameron (2-28) took a screamer at gully to remove McCoy from T.Fuller's (1-20) bowling, which in turn sent B.Smiljanic (74) to the wicket. Strods was content on plodding around whilst Smiljanic was more intent on hitting the ball to the boundary. Thomson went to tea in a pretty comfortable position of 2-110 off 38 overs. Strods got mixed up in a run-out (seems to be a pattern here) and was out for 18, this started somewhat of an umpire influenced collapse for Thomson. Smiljanic ran down the wicket and missed a straight one from S.Bone (1-51), Thomson 3-131. O'Neill (1) and Saltalamacchia (3) were given out dubiously caught behind off Cameron and all of a sudden the tigers were 5-134. Plant (23) and Bliss (12) saw the score to 161, Plant skying a L.Tamplin (1-3) delivery. Bliss was very lucky on a couple occasions with some dubious decisions from the umpire, the Heat would feel unlucky. K.Petterwood was in then out to some very smart swing bowling from L.Daffy (3-47) who also picked up Bliss who left an inswinging gem. Riches (6) and Wray (14*) saw the tigers get over the line, no thanks to once again the umpire as Wray was this time the beneficiary of his in-ability to understand the rules of cricket. Parkinson (1-32) bowled well without luck. In the end Thomson making hard work of what should have been a relatively easy task at 2-110.

Votes 3 B.Smiljanic 2 L.Daffy 1. K Gretgrix

BPCA Round 4 Wrap Ups

BPCA Round 4 Wrap
Tim Michell
Jan Juc vs Newcomb

Jan Juc climbed to fifth on the BPCA table with a comfortable win over Newcomb in BPCA Round 4 action.

Coming off a win against Barrabool last weekend, the Sharks built on their success by passing Newcomb’s total of 157 with the loss of only one wicket.

While his side has put their season on the right track over the last two weekend’s in one day games, Jan Juc captain Aaron Muncey believes his side is still better suited to two day cricket.

“Personally I don’t really enjoy one dayers, all the cricket I’ve played has been two day” Muncey said.

“In one dayers one person can get away with bat or ball and that is the difference, but saying that it does probably expose depth with the fact you have to use five bowlers”.

“I think we’ve got a side much better suited to two day cricket, so to get up in our first two one day games has been fantastic”.

Muncey highlighted his side’s batting as a problematic area from the opening two rounds, and something which they had been working to rectify.

“It’s good to now be two and two, because we didn’t get enough runs on the board early in the season. We’ve had a few new heads come in and combine with the younger kids though, so we’re pretty happy to have a couple of wins of the board early” Muncey said.

After a demoralising opening round defeat at the hands of Geelong West, Muncey said the turning point for his side came against Barwon Heads two weeks later.

“Our bowling, even against Geelong West was good, but in that game and against Barwon Heads we had to bowl 20 overs before the end of play. With the ball we’ve been confident, but I guess you could mark that day when we almost beat Barwon Heads as a turning point”.

After playing a role in Grovedale’s premiership success in the GCA last season, Muncey said he was still adjusting to bowling and batting on hard wickets.

‘It’s a bit harder to bowl on, but if you hit the right spots on any deck you are always going to be a chance of getting wickets” Muncey said.

The Sharks now face Ocean Grove next weekend, a clash which Muncey believes come confirm his side as a serious finals chance.

“We’ve beaten Barrabool and Newcomb who were probably short a few players from last year, but Ocean Grove are an experienced side. They will be a really good test, so if we can get up it will give us confidence to get a top six spot at the end of the year.

Drysdale claimed their first points of the season, with an innings of 61 from Josh Deeath carrying the Hawks over Geelong West. Batting first, Deeath was the cornerstone of the Hawks innings, making an unbeaten 61 in his sides total of 9/178. In reply, only two Cheetahs batsman reached double figures as the hosts were skittled for just 117, condemning them their third loss in as many games.

Barwon Heads accounted for Wallington by nine wickets, with Jason Mallett carrying on from hiss 99 last weekend. Mallett made an unbeaten 52 as the Seagulls chased down the Wallabies total of 141 with over five overs to spare. Earlier in the day Chris Welsford continued his stellar bowling form, claiming 3/10 after a middle order revival had given the Wallabies a slim chance of posting a creditable total.

St Albans and Ocean Grove shared the points in a bizarre draw at Ocean Grove Memorial Reserve. Having lost close to 50 minutes in rain delays, a new rule passed by the Bellarine at the beginning of the season meant the Grubbers overs were shortened, giving the Saints only 34 overs to bowl them out in. Precariously placed at 8/51 and with over ten overs to play, Ocean Grove were in dire straits, before Tim Rundle and the returning Luke Hardiman got the hosts out of jail, holding on to split the points. Matt McKay and Chris Jones shared seven wickets for the Saints, who will count themselves unlucky not to have snatched their fourth win.

Four wickets from Queenscliff coach Tim Clarke was enough to give the Coutas victory over Portarlington. Batting first, the Coutas made a competitive 5/157 before early wickets sat the Demons on the back foot. A 37 run sixth wicket stand between Ash Gillett and Liam Jackson threatened to take the game away from the Coutas, but when Daniel Tomkin grabbed both scalps, the game was the Coutas for the taking. Queenscliff now sits second, setting up an enthralling clash with Barwon Heads next weekend.

The weekend’s final game saw Barrabool finally belatedly show their class, claiming a high scoring win over Collendina. After being sent in by the Cobras, David Hutchison, Heath Farnsworth and Kane Pickering all put the Cobras bowlers to the sword, leading to an eventual total of 3/259 by the home side. Ben Ricardo led the way for the Cobras, who needed more than six runs an over for the outset, but a steady flow of wickets was enough to see the Bulls to their first win of the season.

no wonder this michel bloke writes for the addy, got his facts wrong on the wally v heads game, nine wicket win:eek:.. hmmm, we must have been 13 down for our 141. get it right mate or dont bother.

crktluva;280129 said:
no wonder this michel bloke writes for the addy, got his facts wrong on the wally v heads game, nine wicket win:eek:.. hmmm, we must have been 13 down for our 141. get it right mate or dont bother.

Was nothing more than a slip of the finger on the computer mate, didn't really proof read it at all. I play at Barwon Heads and had the books with me at home, so my facts weren't wrong at all

thommy_rissole;280003 said:
Highton Vs Thomson Match Report

Highton won the toss and decided to bat on what looked-like and was a very ordinary wicket.

K.Petterwood (3-21) and D.Riches (1-29) both got one each early, removing openers D.Holz (3) and A.Grant (3) before the score passed 15. L.Daffy (57) and B.Dodds (24) took the score to 2-25 off 26 overs at drinks. Some fine timing on the offside saw Dodds get to 24 before trying to repeat a pull shot to a ball that didn't get up from Adam "reigning McInerney/Fisher sheild winner" Wray (1-26). That wicket bought Gretgrix (55) to the crease and along with Daffy put on a 75 run partnership. Daffy bought up a fine half century before mistiming one of P.Featherston (1-32). Gretgrix continued on in his un-orthodox fashion only to get to 55 before being run out by from some quick glove work from C.Strods. The tail didn't wag as much as the Heat would have liked, mainly due to their need for quick runs at the end of the innings. The 85 overs were used up, Highton finishing 9/180.

Thomson came to bat after fridays rain unsure of the impact it would have on the wicket. J.McCoy (27) and C.Strods (18) started the Tigers off, with the score on 37 Highton Skipper L.Cameron (2-28) took a screamer at gully to remove McCoy from T.Fuller's (1-20) bowling, which in turn sent B.Smiljanic (74) to the wicket. Strods was content on plodding around whilst Smiljanic was more intent on hitting the ball to the boundary. Thomson went to tea in a pretty comfortable position of 2-110 off 38 overs. Strods got mixed up in a run-out (seems to be a pattern here) and was out for 18, this started somewhat of an umpire influenced collapse for Thomson. Smiljanic ran down the wicket and missed a straight one from S.Bone (1-51), Thomson 3-131. O'Neill (1) and Saltalamacchia (3) were given out dubiously caught behind off Cameron and all of a sudden the tigers were 5-134. Plant (23) and Bliss (12) saw the score to 161, Plant skying a L.Tamplin (1-3) delivery. Bliss was very lucky on a couple occasions with some dubious decisions from the umpire, the Heat would feel unlucky. K.Petterwood was in then out to some very smart swing bowling from L.Daffy (3-47) who also picked up Bliss who left an inswinging gem. Riches (6) and Wray (14*) saw the tigers get over the line, no thanks to once again the umpire as Wray was this time the beneficiary of his in-ability to understand the rules of cricket. Parkinson (1-32) bowled well without luck. In the end Thomson making hard work of what should have been a relatively easy task at 2-110.

Votes 3 B.Smiljanic 2 L.Daffy 1. K Gretgrix

couldnt squeeze urself in the votes this week?????:p

So the people who like to start up the rumours about

Michell, Nunn and Schaller going back?

whys it a problem? will barwon heads become unbeatable? we all no st albans are weak as water when it comes to finals anyway!

Grassroots Cricket;280189 said:

whys it a problem? will barwon heads become unbeatable? we all no st albans are weak as water when it comes to finals anyway!

the only side i seen go to water already this year was barwon heads at 9/20 v grovey.:eek:

Babies Arm;280201 said:
the only side i seen go to water already this year was barwon heads at 9/20 v grovey.:eek:

hahaha o yeah, that game, that meant nothing, that is played on turf, with bpca clubs having no experience on it, seems fair, but yeah, i suppose if there going to lose one game, it best to do it in that, because they wont lose again....

crktluva;280129 said:

I second that, jan juc batted first!!!!

I had a massive night last night but am i reading this right that a kid in U/13's made 332 batting at 6 for Anglesea on the weekend? Is this some sort of typo? A man in a childs body with a crayoned birth certificate?

I had to retire at 30 in under 13's and thought i was Mark Waugh when i walked away with a 38*...how the eff cuz this kid make 330 in a morning 50 over game??

Grassroots Cricket;280189 said:

At least if we did win the flag we would party for a week. When those blokes beat us last year after the game you would of thought they were at a funeral. Lookin forward to the challenge of playin them this year. We should knock em off this time. Last year Jonesy and Muzz were carrying injuries. This year we are flyin.

swing that b;280249 said:
I second that, jan juc batted first!!!!

Last time I put a story on here. Thought you blokes might be a bit less stringent on one or two little slip ups. Although I usually edit my stuff, sometimes a couple of things slip by. I am actually still working my way completely through mycricket and the results, but it all should be good to go next week onwards

Solid Defence;280171 said:
Was nothing more than a slip of the finger on the computer mate, didn't really proof read it at all. I play at Barwon Heads and had the books with me at home, so my facts weren't wrong at all

ya facts are wrong, we lost nine wickets, you lost 4 thats a difference of 5.

crktluva;280374 said:

I always thought that if we passed you four down it was a six wicket win though because we had six in hand. Maybe I have been wrong for a while then

crktluva;280129 said:

alrite then why dont you write up on every game in the a garde for bpca..im tippin youd make a few mistakes too..its good to get a wrap up of all the games of the round..and as for wallington games, does anyone really care about how they went anyway?? you guys posted a win in the past 2 seasons yet??:confused:

Babies Arm;280186 said:
couldnt squeeze urself in the votes this week?????:p

Made 1, didn't bowl and didn't take a catch.
But i looked good in the warm-up though so i was an outside chance haha.

Second XI At Best;280280 said:
I had a massive night last night but am i reading this right that a kid in U/13's made 332 batting at 6 for Anglesea on the weekend? Is this some sort of typo? A man in a childs body with a crayoned birth certificate?

I had to retire at 30 in under 13's and thought i was Mark Waugh when i walked away with a 38*...how the eff cuz this kid make 330 in a morning 50 over game??

haha naah i think it must have been 32..coz they made 225 all up..but still a good typo to have goin your way :D:D

Round 5 BPCA Preview:

BPCA Round 5 Preview
Tim Michell

Bellarine cricket reverts back to a two day format this weekend, with Barwon Heads and Queenscliff headlining an interesting round of cricket. As the ladder stands, the Seagulls and Coutas fill the top two spots, with both sides yet to drop a game after four rounds of cricket.

Last years premiers have managed to counter the loss of all rounder Craig Biddiscombe in the last few weeks, with Jason Mallett and Chris Welsford stepping up at the top of the order. Both sides possess depth with both bat and ball, which has been the key to their early season success.

Queenscliff have found the extra edge they have lacked in the last couple of seasons under Tim Clarke, and look a serious contender at the early stage of the season. In the context of the season, whichever side can take a victory away from Queenscliff over the next few weeks will already sit one game clear at the top of the table, with Barwon Heads still having the bye up their sleeve. If Queenscliff want to maintain their place in the top two, winning this round could be vital.

Wallington will have a chance to break their duck when they host Geelong West, who have dropped their last three matches. There have been a number of positive signs for the Wallabies over the last few weeks, with the form of young all rounder Luke Wright one of the most pleasing. Geelong West struggled to last out 40 overs with the bat over the last few weeks, and will need to show more resilience with the willow this weekend. The game shapes as another even contest, as well as a massive chance for Wallington.

Drysdale welcome Barrabool in another enthralling clash, with both sides having claimed their first wins last weekend. The Bulls were impressive whilst accounting for Collendina last weekend, with all their key batsmen finding form. David Hutchison was been the cornerstone of the Bulls batting this season, and if he can get his side off to another promising start this weekend, Barrabool should set the foundations for a second consecutive win.

Jan Juc has a major chance to build on their recent success when they host Ocean Grove. The Sharks are in search of their third win in as many matches and face an Ocean Grove side which was fortunate to escape with a draw last weekend. The Grubbers had been one of the form sides before last weekend, and will prove one of the biggest tests for the young Jan Juc side this season. If they can overcome the Grubbers, the sky could be the limit for the Sharks.

St Albans/Breakwater tackle Anglesea in a match which pits third against fourth. The Roos enjoyed the bye last weekend, while St Albans dropped their first points in a rain affected draw with Ocean Grove. The game is a real chance for Anglesea to stamp themselves as a top six side, away from home to last years runners up.

The weekend’s final game pits Collendina against Newcomb, with the Cobras looking to bounce back after their loss on the road last weekend.

crktluva;280374 said:

I don't think thats how it works, it's how many wickets you have in hand when you pass them.

Back