GCA & BPCA match previews and reviews

Re: GCA & BPCA match previews and reviews

ants14;369801 said:
ROUND 2-NORTH GEELONG vs SOUTH BARWON​
North Geelong played South Barwon at Osbourne Park in the match of the round in GCA Division 1. New recruit Tim Ferguson played his first game for the Magpies, whilst the Swans playing their first game of the year unearthed new recruits Clinton and Kelvin Ford, Geoff Young and Damien Koliba.

South Barwon won the toss and elected to bat on what looked like a good deck for batting. Geoff Young and Stephen Whittingham opened up for South, and settled fairly quickly against the opening bowling combination of Brad Scown and Tim Ferguson. Soon after, Scown was able make the break through, dismissing Young and just 7 runs later, Kingwell was able to find the edge of Whittingham’s bat, and a good catch was taken by Millard in the slips. A big partnership was inevitable, and Brad Hauenstein and Damien Koliba were the ones to answer the call. The two played and missed at some stages but had a good handle on the bowling, and saw that the scoreboard was continuing to tick over. The tide turned once again when Armistead came back on to bowl his second spell, dismissing both batsman in the space of 2 overs. This brought two new batsmen to the crease for the final ten overs, Damien Hester and Anthony Ford, and both batted well to take score up to 165 before Hester was caught in front of his stumps by Scown. Kelvin Ford came in and joined the other Ford for the final dash, and they worked hard to get the score up to 5-186 at the end of 49 overs. Anthony Ford ended up on 42 not out, whilst Brad Hauenstein equal top scored with 42. Brad Scown and Anthony Armistead ended up with 2 wickets apiece.

The North Geelong chase started in the worst possible way, with the Magpies losing Sam Hall from the second ball of the innings to the bowling of Clinton Ford. Millard joined Troy at the crease, and looked to dominate from the outset, smashing loose balls through the offside field, including a couple of sixes for good measure. After giving one life, he chanced his arm one time to many and skied a ball to keeper Brewer off Ross for 28. Sticca couldn’t repeat his heroics from the week before and was bowled for 2 by Ford leaving the Magpies reelling slightly at 3-45. Armistead joined Troy and despite not scoring for a few overs, the two hung in and began to accumulate and get the scoreboard ticking over. With the score on 101, Armistead lobbed one to Ford off Darren Hauensteein, effectively costing him a pot or two, to bring Clark to the crease with the match very match in the balance with 86 runs required from 15 overs. Clark was made for the situation and with him at the crease, it all of a sudden made things look a whole lot easier. The two batsmen continued getting 5 or 6 off every over, and with North only needing 14 runs for victory Alf missed a straight one from Kelvin Ford bringing new man Tim Ferguson to the crease with Troy. The result though was inevitable, and Mitchell Troy concluded a magnificent innings of 79 not out by hitting the winning runs with an over to spare. Clinton Ford was the best of the South Barwon bowlers with 2-24.

Votes: 3- Mitchell Troy, 2- Brad Hauenstein, 3- Alf Clark
I think u forgot to mention Alf's hoik over mid-wicket that was caught on the line by Whittingham(i think) which caused the game to stop for 10 minutes as the players and umpire argued over what the correct ruling was.. To the blokes credit he said he caught it with his heel on the line...

and speaking to col last nite he said that he wanted me to mention and congratulate him on his honesty..

I Bowl Meat Pies;369804 said:
I think u forgot to mention Alf's hoik over mid-wicket that was caught on the line by Whittingham(i think) which caused the game to stop for 10 minutes as the players and umpire argued over what the correct ruling was.. To the blokes credit he said he caught it with his heel on the line...

and speaking to col last nite he said that he wanted me to mention and congratulate him on his honesty..

yeh, i didn't think i should mention it in the report. very big of him to be honest like that at a vital stage of the match. thumbs up

I Bowl Meat Pies;369804 said:

yep, as soon as he caught it he knew he was standing on the hose. In the bottom corner of the ground away from most spectators (other than South supporters) some would have claimed it regardless !! May have made a difference to the game with those extra 6 runs taken from the score but not to be. Well placed hose from the ground staff though, just needed to be 20 cm back and he would have taken it !! The delay in the game was just asking Coops if someone taking a catch standing on the hose was okay. To both sides credit it was handled professionally and without anamosity once the decision was confirmed to be 6.

cheer_cheer;369852 said:
yep, as soon as he caught it he knew he was standing on the hose. In the bottom corner of the ground away from most spectators (other than South supporters) some would have claimed it regardless !! May have made a difference to the game with those extra 6 runs taken from the score but not to be. Well placed hose from the ground staff though, just needed to be 20 cm back and he would have taken it !! The delay in the game was just asking Coops if someone taking a catch standing on the hose was okay. To both sides credit it was handled professionally and without anamosity once the decision was confirmed to be 6.

Is it really ok to just go and change ur name like that!! Not only is cheer cheer far more mardi gras, homo pride sounding...u r the chief on here. IPL. Its just who u are. Haha

Second XI At Best;369928 said:
Is it really ok to just go and change ur name like that!! Not only is cheer cheer far more mardi gras, homo pride sounding...u r the chief on here. IPL. Its just who u are. Haha

with some of the ads that get up on this site I thought we needed a bit of cheer_cheer !!

cheer_cheer;369974 said:
with some of the ads that get up on this site I thought we needed a bit of cheer_cheer !!

considring the adverts dazza, i think i would have stuck to GCA IPL, if i hadnt met your wife and kids id be a bit suss.

Look here;369771 said:
You presumably won't read about it in tomorrow's Advertiser, but Murghe defeated Waurn Ponds by 1 wicket off the last ball of the day at Deakin today (Sunday). Waurn Ponds made 183 (all out in last over) - Shane Skene 59 (batted well; it was actually surprising to see him get out). Murghe struggling at 6-74 on a deck starting to keep low, as this was the fourth game on it over the last two weekends. 67 for 7th wicket between Nathan Bisset and Troy Hardy. Simon Lees came in at 9/168 - 16 needed off 22 balls. 9 needed off the last over - 1,1,1, leg bye, 2 (should've been caught), then 4 by Danny Watson off the last ball to win at 6.45pm. Great finish!

is that the same Danny Watson that opened all last year!!!! if so was he injured batting down there!!!!!!!!good win though...b watson no runs again!!!! heard the other watson in the 2s can hit a ball as well!is he younger bro or no relation!!!!!!

can i get a match review on the south barwon and thompson 1s clash on the weekend?

peely;370711 said:
can i get a match review on the south barwon and thompson 1s clash on the weekend?

South Barwon play Division 1, and THOMSON play Division 2. They don't play against each other this weekend.

peely;370711 said:

I think it will be fairly close, with the three O'neil brothers playing alongside each other for the first time !! It might have been three Hauenstein's playing in the game also had the youngest Hauenstein not had some differences with the coach !! Ex Swan Casey Lang will be looking to get a few early wickets and get into the middle order. The Swans Division One experience might be enough to get them over the line !!

BTW, where is this game being played as I thought we were playing Manifold ??

Couldn;t help but notice the one change to the South Barwon line up.
Linke in, WHITTINGHAM out
Couldn;t be reprecussion from last weeks debacle could it? :p

ants14;370728 said:

Oooooh some conspiracies going on amongst the ranks is there Dazza?!!
In fairness it is a one day game, and Linke (played a great game in the 2's) is probably a handy one day replacement from the corpse with pads. :D

cheer_cheer;370724 said:
It might have been three Hauenstein's playing in the game also had the youngest Hauenstein not had some differences with the coach !!

And If he could make a run!! :p

ants14;370728 said:

hehe, yes, Brad was unhappy with his morals last week on that catch !!

NORTH GEELONG V GEELONG WEST

North Geelong ventured down the road to West Oval to take on the reigning premiers, both sides missing a key player, in Andrew Fergusson for North Geelong, and Sam Loftus for Geelong West.

Col Millard won the toss for North Geelong and elected to bat on a pitch which was always going to improve as the day wore on, and would have a little in it at the start of the innings. Sam Hall and Mitchell Troy opened the batting for the Magpies and looked to be in fine form. A change of bowling brought the wicket with the Petrel’s finest, Jarran Cook cleaning up Mitchell Troy for 14 with the score on 30. Millard came to the crease, and like every other game this season, looked to dominate from the outset. Runs were coming at a good rate, and just as it looked as though it was going to be Millard’s day for a big score, he wholed out to another change of bowling, skying Glen Talarico to the fence. Sticca joined Hall, who was doing a good job of holding up an end, and the two worked hard to keep the scoreboard ticking along. Tim Wight was introduced to the attack and he worked hard to tighten the screw along with Talarico, who took the next two wickets of Sticca and Armistead. Clark came in at a perfect time once again, with 10 overs to go, and 132 runs on the board. He and Hall continued to accumulate for another seven overs before Hall’s brilliant innings came to an end with the score at 5-185 and his total of 86. Lymer joined Clark for the final dig, and the score ended on 5-201 from 50 overs. Glen Talarico was the best of the bowlers with 3-34.

A good start with the ball by Scown, saw the magpie quick get two early wickets of the Ram’s openers. Despite runs leaking in the way of extras and some wayward bowling, Tim Ferguson took the Magpies third wicket, and his first for the club of Shane Arthur, with the score at 3-32 and the Magpies well in control. Ken Spence joined Talarico and the two worked hard to restore some order in the reigning premiers’ innings. The bowling was still reasonably tight and that brought about thte wicket of Spence who began to get impatient with the score on 100, missing one off Kingwell and getting bowled. Jarran Cook came in, and looked to accumulate with Talarico who was looking ominously good. Despite some accurate middle order bowling, the runs continued to flow, and it took another good ball from Kingwell to dismiss Talarico for 86. With the score on 175, the match seemed out of North Geelong’s grasp. The magpies however, had different ideas, and continued to tighten the screw, and when Kingwell took a third wicket, of Vrbovski, it seemed a lot was on Cook’s shoulders. Wickets continued to fall, and with one over to go, Craig Allthorpe came to the crease to join Cook for with 5 runs to get. Brad Scown had the task of bowling the last over, and started well with a dot ball. Allthorpe managed to get bat on the next ball and one run was scored. Cook scored two of the next ball and all of a sudden only 2 runs were needed from 3 balls. 2 dot balls from some brilliant death bowling by Scown saw the equation go to 2 runs from the last delivery. Cook managed to get an inside edge to mid wicket where there was only a chance of a single, and thus West finished their innings at 8-201, and the match was a tie. Cook finished not out on 43, whilst Kingwell was the best of the bowlers with 3-32 from 10 over’s.

Votes: 3-Glen Talarico, 2- Sam Hall, 1-Jarran Cook or Shaun Kingwell

Newcomb & District v Thomson

NDCC won the toss and sent Thomson in on a good wicket with a couple of damp areas. Nothing too bad. The wicket was always going to improve as the day went on.

Thomson got off to a fair start with Smelly hit a quick 29 before one stopped on him from Spud Harrison and gave an easy catch back to the bowler. S. O'Neil was batting well and joined his young brother on debut. The kid looked comfortable with out having an inpact on the score board. Looks a good prospect for thomson. Thomson building their innings well, before S.O'Neil got a rank LBW. English import Bently batted extremely well, certainly a class act with some very good clips off his pads. He made a match winning 78. Some other good contributions pushed the tigers score to 229 off the 50 overs, helped by some poor ground fielding from the Dino's. Wickets were shared around by the young medium pace attack.

On a fast scoring ground 230 was very achievable. Dino's got off to the worst possible start with young gun and opening bat Jassen out 1st ball off a Lang yorker to knock his leg stump back. Evans played his usual game and knocked up 29. R. Mills went about getting his 1st score of the year (58) as Harrison came & went. Captain Hillgrove (48no) went about the chase with Mills and built a partnership of 80 odd before Mills went off the bowling of P.Oneil. That broke the back of the Dino's as the tigers went in for the kill. The equation got too long for the Dino's and Thomson won comfortably in the end. P. O'neil picked up 4 wickets to back up his 26no with the bat and the reliable Salts with 3 wickets.

3. P. O'Neil, 2. Bently. 1. R.Mills.

Please anyone from Thomson add to this if you see fit as I didn't have score book with me and couldn't remember some of ya names sorry.:)

For anyone interested in under 17 division 1, Torquay will be a force this year, anyone got any other ideas

Ukuma;371595 said:
For anyone interested in under 17 division 1, Torquay will be a force this year, anyone got any other ideas

thats quite a big call 1 game into the season

Back