GCA Twenty Competition & vBookie

a for effort

GCA Twenty Competition & vBookie

The GCA have finalised the draw for the upcoming inaugural Twenty20 competition, details of which can be found here:
GCA Twenty20 draw finalised - Local News - Geelong, VIC, Australia

Interesting that they have left it to the clubs to sort out their own time and locations for the group stages, I can see that causing a few issues (Can't see many clubs volunteering to play away and surrender bar money), but it makes some sense as some clubs may not be able to play in midweek games.

Also, it appears that despite the draw being finalised, it has not made it to the GCA website as of yet.

Re: GCA Twenty20 Competition

another example of why the geelong advertiser suck.
the title says draw finalised, and yet there is no draw mentioned at all, and low and behold, no mention of where to find the draw or how to get ahold of it.
I'm looking forward to the 20-20 anyway, it'll be fun and I'm looking forward to seeing what we come up with for our kit for the games.
I wouldn;t mind playing away games either, and it would be good to get some bigger crowds at the games.

ants14;362273 said:
I wouldn;t mind playing away games either, and it would be good to get some bigger crowds at the games.

Friday night games between strong clubs could be huge

a for effort;362271 said:
Interesting that they have left it to the clubs to sort out their own time and locations for the group stages, I can see that causing a few issues (Can't see many clubs volunteering to play away and surrender bar money), but it makes some sense as some clubs may not be able to play in midweek games.

The BPCA tried this last year (leaving it up to the clubs to organize) and the Final turned out to be a flop, teams couldn't agree on a day and time and the final ended up being played in the dark on a Thursday night. Having said that it shouldn't be an issue with this comp being wrapped up early 2010 and light won't be an issue.

The fairest way to decide the home team should be a coin toss, but that could mean all three games for a side are played away (or home). I'd prefer the GCA to do the draw for the group stage so every team at least gets one home game, then in the knock-out stage maybe flip a coin.

Thoughts?

Also with the draw I don't think it has been done, I think you'll find just the format has been finalized.

I agree. The coin toss would be a shite idea for the group stages, and teams would be ropeable when they get Ricky Ponting style coin-toss luck...But seems fair for the knockout stages.
I think teams organising it themselves could work for a majority of clubs, but obviously theres going to be one or two that may not see eye to eye. Just seems lazy by the GCA!!

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;362428 said:
The BPCA tried this last year (leaving it up to the clubs to organize) and the Final turned out to be a flop, teams couldn't agree on a day and time and the final ended up being played in the dark on a Thursday night. Having said that it shouldn't be an issue with this comp being wrapped up early 2010 and light won't be an issue.

The fairest way to decide the home team should be a coin toss, but that could mean all three games for a side are played away (or home). I'd prefer the GCA to do the draw for the group stage so every team at least gets one home game, then in the knock-out stage maybe flip a coin.

Thoughts?

Also with the draw I don't think it has been done, I think you'll find just the format has been finalized.

There's 10 or 11 hard-wicket clubs involved too, so you would assume they would automatically be drawn to play away games.

a for effort;362646 said:
There's 10 or 11 hard-wicket clubs involved too, so you would assume they would automatically be drawn to play away games.

I am pretty sure that the GCA will draw the home team and away team. If the home team happens to be a non turf side then if they want to have the game at their ground then they are eligible to do so. For the three prelim games, each team would be guaranteed one home game. Although Friday night's sounds a great idea I am not sure if it makes sense in practical terms. We are going to be playing on turf wickets which more than likely will be being used for a current game, not sure if curators would be bringing up seperate wickets for a T20 game, and if they were doing that then I do not think we would be getting the best wickets produced. The games on turf need to be early week for us to have the best wicket possible. I am thinking all South Barwon home games will need to be played on a Monday/Tuesday night at the latest to allow the wicket to be of a similar standard to a normal Saturday game.

What are clubs doing in terms of kits for the twenty20?

We've got full color kits for it, we had the tops from last year and have purchased black trousers and black batting and w/k pads.:cool:

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;362752 said:
What are clubs doing in terms of kits for the twenty20?

We've got full color kits for it, we had the tops from last year and have purchased black trousers and black batting and w/k pads.:cool:

There must be half a dozen money trees in the St Albans-Breakwater backyard!!!

Renny24;362882 said:
There must be half a dozen money trees in the St Albans-Breakwater backyard!!!

Better than having no money I guess.........

I Bowl Meat Pies;362893 said:
You boys are going all out for a first round exit dont ya think :D

It's round robin so we'll get at least 3 games:p

I'm sure the colored gear can be used for a few years to come in future events, it was sponsored anyhow and at no cost to the club.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;362901 said:
Better than having no money I guess.........

It's round robin so we'll get at least 3 games:p

I'm sure the colored gear can be used for a few years to come in future events, it was sponsored anyhow and at no cost to the club.

how bad is that scoreboard. was hearing better than the g at one stage?
how much that cost?

Babies Arm;362906 said:
how bad is that scoreboard. was hearing better than the g at one stage?
how much that cost?

I wouldn't go that far, it's worth $30,000.

I think you'll find the GDFL people operating it don't have any idea how to utilize it. I've played around with it and does basically anything you want. What don't you like about it? The choice of colors they chose to display the numbers battled.

The draw for the GCA T20 comp will be held on Sept 16 or 17.

All teams will be placed in together and each club will be pulled out individually.
No seeding. This means turf clubs will need to play on hardwicket if they come up against a hardwicket club and likewise for hardwicket clubs needing to play on turf wickets if they come against turf clubs.

There will be some rather large mis-matches, but it all should create some exciting cricket and as we all know, anything can happen in T20 cricket.

That also could mean that some of the best sides could end up in the same pool, and knock each other out in the first round. I thought they might have seeded the divi 1 clubs, and just added everyone else in around it or something. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

EDIT: feel free to go to this thread

http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t70151/

And vote for the best all time test team. You should be backing me, btw.

Back