Geelong Cricket Chat 2010/11

Very Quiet on here in recent times, could this site be dying a slow painful death? time will tell.
A couple of things I've picked up over the 1st 3rd of the season.
  • The GCA have to make up some of the washed out games to keep the integrity of the competition, One-Day games that were washed out at the very least. Mainly 1st XI wouldn't be too concerned about lower grades.
  • The race for promotion/Relagation is going to be Red Hot again in ALL divisions. Corio may take North Shores spot in div2 and City may take Manifold or Leopolds spot. St Albans couldn't jump up two divisions in 2 years could they? Unlikely.
  • Some clubs and curators just don't work hard enough to get wickets up, it suits some teams to get washed out and that hurts the competitions.
  • The 20/20 comp is turning into a flop. No-one cares, knock out comp is the only way it can survive.
  • Geelong Advertiser coverage is also dying every year, it has turned into a non event article that no-one reads, give cricket the same respect they give local footy or don't bother covering it at all.
  • North Shore are a rabble, after winning the flag two years ago they would now be odds on to drop into picnic comp
  • Leopold are gone
  • Thomson batters are struggling to make it at the div1 level, bowlers carrying them, will get better the more years they stay up. Need to recruit some quality to go with their youth.
Would it be a good idea to play the remainder of the games as One-Day format (unrestricted 50 over a side games) to catch up the lost games? This weekends games maybe in danger of being washed out also.

Also heard a rumor that Waurn Ponds coach Mick Cox has been sacked, can anyone confirm this? and if true what happened? Sure I heard he was signed up as coach for 2 years, not a decision made lightely I wouldn't of thought.

Feel free to add anything or open up a disscussion!!!!

Some action on the site at last!

Cox is sitting this current game out under a club-imposed suspension. Waurn Ponds guys weren't giving too much away last weekend. Their website newsletter also alludes to it, but is cryptic and doesn't give too much away.

Agree about the T20. So many washouts have made it a real pain to schedule/reschedule. We played our T20 match against Mano on their hard-wicket ground just to get it done. Probably not a bad thing in light of subsequent weather. Might become a bit more serious in the round of 16?

GCA rescheduling matches? They had a management committee meeting last night so I guess it would have come up then. Anyone heard anything so far? I guess the precedent was set 4 seasons ago, in the drought-shortened season.

Cox going to St Albans for remainder of the year I see? Interesting news, I wonder why he chose there, harldy a club that an opening bowler would head off too.

Anyway who is the premiership favs and wooden spooners at this stage of the season in turf divisions?

Div1. I like the look of Lara at the moment always seem to slip under the radar during the season. I'm tipping they'll play Geelong West in the decider this season. Manifold Heights will take the unwanted spoon and head south for the 2011/12 season IMO.

Div2. Will be very close run home, I think Guild will play either City or Highton in the div2 decider. Closely followed by St Peters, Waurn Ponds and Torquay. North Shore will win the wooden spoon and swap with Corio next season.

Also, does anyone know what happened to the Geelong Cricket Show?

Please feel free to add thoughts on the above and maybe someone put some news on here to try and get this site up and running again.

I wouldn't think Corio have necessarily done enough to go up to Div 2, the only thing in their favour is a turf deck and if thats all you can base promotion on then bell park would have just as much chance because neither club is dominating the comp

I wouldn't think Corio have necessarily done enough to go up to Div 2, the only thing in their favour is a turf deck and if thats all you can base promotion on then bell park would have just as much chance because neither club is dominating the comp

They probarly haven't, but it's more a case of how bad North Shore are. And with no club other than turf clubs eligable to go up it's going to come down to who finishes higher in the club championship out of Bell Park and Corio. Which I believe will be Corio comfortably.

Personally I think they should put both teams up and have two all turf divisions and a hard wicket division or get rid of div3 all together from the GCA and bring back the SLCA under a different banner. I'm sure this would make all parties happy.

Also whats going on with the GCA website? It's a joke that a big league such as the GCA never update it. How hard is it? I'd like to see the clearence page kept upto date too so we can track all the mid season movement......

I heard today that the GCA have stopped Cox from playing the rest of the season, apparently he has been paid out by Waurn Ponds so he can't be reinstated as an Amatuer player. And with all clubs I dare say having a nominated professional player he'll have to sit it out. Not sure if it's a 100% true though.

Michael Cox should be right for the first game after Xmas.

Heard a certain City personnel say all they needed to do to win the 1sts flag is turn up, Heard that before.

We heard the same thing is Division 3 last year......
Yeah, we still had no worries disposing of Little River in all grades in the finals if you think back??? But your right Little River is the best side in the GCA and have the best ground and facilities, they should have the Div1 GF their, even the VCA GF? maybe even look at moving the boxing day test.....:rolleyes:

Yeah, we still had no worries disposing of Little River in all grades in the finals if you think back??? But your right Little River is the best side in the GCA and have the best ground and facilities, they should have the Div1 GF their, even the VCA GF? maybe even look at moving the boxing day test.....:rolleyes:

There is no wonder no one in the GCA actually likes you blokes.

You might have disposed of us. But we were just lucky to walk on the park against you blokes, just ask you.....

and we did have you scared, at least in the top two grades.....

Little off topic but has anybody here been on one of the "Wattlesprigs" tour to England?

Just got this email from the wattlesprigs organisers if its any help to you:

Hi Fellow Wattlesprigs,

We’d like to take this opportunity to let you know the Australian Wattlesprigs have dropped their price for this year’s tour to the UK. It’s now the same price as the 2009 tour.

Because the UK dollar is so good we’ve been able to do this.

$8990 tour price – with a stop over in Gallipoli - could you please help us advertise the tour – we have a team, just looking for a few more players.

Tour blog www.wattlesprigs.blog.com

2009 tour blog with photos – www.wattlesprigs.blogspot.com

Regards
David Gemmill
Australian Wattlesprigs

Back