Geelong Cricket Chat 2010/11

Very Quiet on here in recent times, could this site be dying a slow painful death? time will tell.
A couple of things I've picked up over the 1st 3rd of the season.
  • The GCA have to make up some of the washed out games to keep the integrity of the competition, One-Day games that were washed out at the very least. Mainly 1st XI wouldn't be too concerned about lower grades.
  • The race for promotion/Relagation is going to be Red Hot again in ALL divisions. Corio may take North Shores spot in div2 and City may take Manifold or Leopolds spot. St Albans couldn't jump up two divisions in 2 years could they? Unlikely.
  • Some clubs and curators just don't work hard enough to get wickets up, it suits some teams to get washed out and that hurts the competitions.
  • The 20/20 comp is turning into a flop. No-one cares, knock out comp is the only way it can survive.
  • Geelong Advertiser coverage is also dying every year, it has turned into a non event article that no-one reads, give cricket the same respect they give local footy or don't bother covering it at all.
  • North Shore are a rabble, after winning the flag two years ago they would now be odds on to drop into picnic comp
  • Leopold are gone
  • Thomson batters are struggling to make it at the div1 level, bowlers carrying them, will get better the more years they stay up. Need to recruit some quality to go with their youth.
Would it be a good idea to play the remainder of the games as One-Day format (unrestricted 50 over a side games) to catch up the lost games? This weekends games maybe in danger of being washed out also.

Also heard a rumor that Waurn Ponds coach Mick Cox has been sacked, can anyone confirm this? and if true what happened? Sure I heard he was signed up as coach for 2 years, not a decision made lightely I wouldn't of thought.

Feel free to add anything or open up a disscussion!!!!

Geelong Cricket Show was discontinued after no sponsor jumped on board for 2010/2011. It should be a chance to be back next year

just reading a few posts and in regards to div 3 promotion to div 2, dont think becuase a team has no turf wicket, they cant be promoted. The minimum standard requirement to play GCA div 1 cricket (Rule 24, 24.1(iv)) A turf wicket and ground of suitable standard approved by grounds committee.
Rule 24.2 For any other division of the assciation, the minimum standard requirements will be as determined by the management committee from time to time.

Therefore, clubs have to have turf wicket to play div 1.
Div 2 & 3 can have turf or hard wicket (as current in Div 3) However and I agree with other opinions that in the wisdom of Geelong cricket, that div 2 remain a turf compition and div 3 hard wicket. But to be fair to the hard wicket clubs when they (if they ) have asperations to put in turf and have done, then they can or will be promoted to div 2. Which means rules would need to change (rule 24 - minimum requirements for a club) to state div 1 & 2. You can read the rule in the hand book page 39.

Anyway lads, food for thought, I got a shock last season when I found out that it's straight up and down club championship between div 2 and 3 and the rolling ave points only applies to div 1 & 2 promotion. In my view only this makes the current system flawed. either straight up and down based on club champ or rolling ave points applied to all divs based on minimum reqiurements (as current or if ammended - as above will only apply to div 1 & 2 if div 3 hard wicket only).

I was under the impression that promotion/relegation between GCA2/GCA3 was now also based on 2-year rolling avarage as per GCA1/GCA2, now that GCA3 has been up for 2-and-a-half seasons. However (importantly) this is subject to a GCA management decision from a couple of years ago that the GCA3 club coming up to GCA2 must be a turf club, or at least able to play 1st and 2nd XIs on turf (whether at College, Grammar or on Sundays) each week.

Hard Hitter, you'll recall the opening 2nds game last season 2009-10 between Murghe and NDSC was played on a hard wicket. It was made clear to us by the GCA after that game that all GCA2 1sts and 2nds games had to be on turf. Apparently that had been decided by GCA Management at the end of the previous season, but no-one thought to pass that message on. It was fortunate for us that, at that time, GCA Management was aware of our plans to put in turf at King Lloyd during 2009-10 otherwise I suspect we would have been eased into GCA3 for that season.

So hypothetically the promoted GCA3 club doesn't need turf as per GCA Rules & Regs, but in practice, they do. At least, I think that's how it works :)

I was under the impression that promotion/relegation between GCA2/GCA3 was now also based on 2-year rolling avarage as per GCA1/GCA2, now that GCA3 has been up for 2-and-a-half seasons. However (importantly) this is subject to a GCA management decision from a couple of years ago that the GCA3 club coming up to GCA2 must be a turf club, or at least able to play 1st and 2nd XIs on turf (whether at College, Grammar or on Sundays) each week.

Hard Hitter, you'll recall the opening 2nds game last season 2009-10 between Murghe and NDSC was played on a hard wicket. It was made clear to us by the GCA after that game that all GCA2 1sts and 2nds games had to be on turf. Apparently that had been decided by GCA Management at the end of the previous season, but no-one thought to pass that message on. It was fortunate for us that, at that time, GCA Management was aware of our plans to put in turf at King Lloyd during 2009-10 otherwise I suspect we would have been eased into GCA3 for that season.

So hypothetically the promoted GCA3 club doesn't need turf as per GCA Rules & Regs, but in practice, they do. At least, I think that's how it works :)

Yes that's right Look Here. This is where Rule 24.2 "For any other division of the assciation, the minimum standard requirements will be as determined by the management committee from time to time." in other words this point of rule gives GCA management total control and power to do as they please....act like GOD if you will. Make up things as they go.
Funny don't you think?

Wyndham City Council need to come to the party for Little River to ever play Div 2.

Corio or Bell park are the only two clubs that fit the bill, and even they would suggest that at the moment, they are in the right grade. At least they have the footing to go up when ready.

Just got this email from the wattlesprigs organisers if its any help to you:

Hi Fellow Wattlesprigs,

We’d like to take this opportunity to let you know the Australian Wattlesprigs have dropped their price for this year’s tour to the UK. It’s now the same price as the 2009 tour.

Because the UK dollar is so good we’ve been able to do this.

$8990 tour price – with a stop over in Gallipoli - could you please help us advertise the tour – we have a team, just looking for a few more players.

Tour blog www.wattlesprigs.blog.com

2009 tour blog with photos – www.wattlesprigs.blogspot.com

Regards
David Gemmill
Australian Wattlesprigs

Cheers, yeah already got it and paid my deposit, carn't wait!

pretty quiet on here haven't heard anything about T20 finals did they even play and if they did play did anyone turn up to watch?

Not the greatest of turn outs... West only just managed to scrape past Thomson in the semi.. South bet Newtown, dont no how or watever but it was West and South Barwon in the final. S B made 133 with West chasing it down inside 13 overs without losing a wicket

Good luck to all playing finals this weekend, especially my old mob the redbacks who for the first time I can recall having all senior and junior teams make the finals with the u/13's in a granny this weekend. Hope the weather holds out and we see some good cricket right across Geelong

Yes that's right Look Here. This is where Rule 24.2 "For any other division of the assciation, the minimum standard requirements will be as determined by the management committee from time to time." in other words this point of rule gives GCA management total control and power to do as they please....act like GOD if you will. Make up things as they go.
Funny don't you think?

welcome to the gca mate, they have been and will continue to be a joke of an association for years to come. at least while it run by those with personal and club agendas, maybe one day someone who cares just about the game and standard in geelong cricket will have the time to dedicate to it and become transparent and fair to all invloved. dont hold ya breath though. as for divison prom and relegate, the best clubs ahve to play turf, thats what good cricket is played on. having said that though, the top 4 in BPCA would deal with more than half the div 2 side. div 1 is a fair gap from div 2, ask thomson they would agree.

Has anyone heard anything on who could be the new Waurn Ponds coach next season? they are already advertising on the GCA website
Not sure how they're going wouldn't be a bad job good club and well ran, It's a shame things didn't work out for them them this year, they may of gone close to winning it if Cox didn't have a falling out there.

This weeks games look interesting I'll start with Div1

Grovedale v Geelong West

I'm going to go with West here by the narrowest of marging, I think there batting is the best the GCA has seen in 25 years they've gor 6 blokes capable of a match winning hundred but I think the key will be Glen Talarico with the ball more then the bat. If he can restrict Grovedale to under 270 they will be hard to stop.

Tip: West just
MOM: Glen Talarico bag of 6 or 7wks

Geelong City v St Albans/Breakwater

This game will be more straight forward, City having beaten St Albans by 9 wks early in the year should seriously consider winning the toss and sending St Albans in, their batting is prob in the bottom 3 or 4 sides in the comp, City would be a massive chance to roll them for 70 or 80 and cruise to victory. However if they can scape and fight there way to around 200-220 they may be hard to stop with the potent attack led my speedster Justin Miller. I think the seamers are pretty evenly matched in this contest.

Tip: City easily
MOM: Adam Pitts with a 70+

Lethbridge v Bell Park

If ever there is a moral in cricket this is it, Lethbridge already have one hand on the cup, they just need to go at somewhere near there best. I'm tipping all over Saturday night if Bell Park bat first Lethbridge may be chasing a score below 60 if they can take all there chances.

Tip: Lethbridge inside one day if they bowl first
MOM: Leigh Harding 7/20 odd

Good luck to all sides competeing and lets hope for some great cricket down at KP with possibly a few more twists in the season yet.

Not sure how they're going wouldn't be a bad job good club and well ran, It's a shame things didn't work out for them them this year, they may of gone close to winning it if Cox didn't have a falling out there.

This weeks games look interesting I'll start with Div1

Grovedale v Geelong West

I'm going to go with West here by the narrowest of marging, I think there batting is the best the GCA has seen in 25 years they've gor 6 blokes capable of a match winning hundred but I think the key will be Glen Talarico with the ball more then the bat. If he can restrict Grovedale to under 270 they will be hard to stop.

Tip: West just
MOM: Glen Talarico bag of 6 or 7wks

Geelong City v St Albans/Breakwater

This game will be more straight forward, City having beaten St Albans by 9 wks early in the year should seriously consider winning the toss and sending St Albans in, their batting is prob in the bottom 3 or 4 sides in the comp, City would be a massive chance to roll them for 70 or 80 and cruise to victory. However if they can scape and fight there way to around 200-220 they may be hard to stop with the potent attack led my speedster Justin Miller. I think the seamers are pretty evenly matched in this contest.

Tip: City easily
MOM: Adam Pitts with a 70+

Lethbridge v Bell Park

If ever there is a moral in cricket this is it, Lethbridge already have one hand on the cup, they just need to go at somewhere near there best. I'm tipping all over Saturday night if Bell Park bat first Lethbridge may be chasing a score below 60 if they can take all there chances.

Tip: Lethbridge inside one day if they bowl first
MOM: Leigh Harding 7/20 odd

Good luck to all sides competeing and lets hope for some great cricket down at KP with possibly a few more twists in the season yet.

Good write up there Wazim... dont really follow divi's 2 and 3 although would be good to see Bell park and there younger brigade get up and have a win.
On Divi 1 West's batting has hit its straps in the past month and it would be good to see it continue this week. Hope they bat first and we see Tala and Vass score big... Then on Sunday Tim Wight runs thru the top order and Tala cleans up the rest..

In 2 Words... Go Rams !!!

Good write up there Wazim... dont really follow divi's 2 and 3 although would be good to see Bell park and there younger brigade get up and have a win.
On Divi 1 West's batting has hit its straps in the past month and it would be good to see it continue this week. Hope they bat first and we see Tala and Vass score big... Then on Sunday Tim Wight runs thru the top order and Tala cleans up the rest..

In 2 Words... Go Rams !!!

Well what a weekend of cricket.......

We had Geelong West belt there way 336 on Saturday with majestic hundreds from Chapple and Talarico and St Albans defying all odds and rolling raging favs Geelong City for 107 on a road and lightening quick outfield.

Geelong West now take over as the most dominate team in recent times with two flags in three years, they have a core group of players that are second to none and with adding star players like Vassiliou they will be a force for many seasons to come. It was great to watch on Saturday the way they dominated the bowling but I kept finding myself drawn to West Kardinia as I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. A side as dominate as City crumble under the presure was unexpected, they just couldn't cope with the pace attack of St Albans (which just may be the best in Geelong all Divisions).

Even with 107 on the board I think we all expected something to happen in the hour or so before stumps and it did St Albans put another nail into City being 1/32 at stumps. Sunday was a new day and I started at the main ground and watched Grovedale make a real game of it early on and right up to tea it was game on but the Tigers were just chasing to many and fell away chasing quick runs, it's simple set 336 in a grand final you don't lose. At the other game it seemed St Albans cruised to victory 4 down never giving a sniff. The St Albans song echoing across Kardinaia park sang by their supporters with the win within 10 or so runs. Congrats to all premiership sides in all divisions and grades and see you during the preseason, and look forward to the merry-go-round of players and coaches over the winter.

My tip Geelong City promoted- Manifold Heights demoted
North Shore demoted- Bell Park promoted

Keep eyes out for a few big signings in GCA over the winter and make sure we post them here.

Taylors Lakes Cricket Club seeks Senior
Coach for 2011/2012 season
Taylors Lakes Cricket Club presents an exciting opportunity for a senior
playing or Non-playing coach to enhance the club’s pursuits for continued
improvement.
Taylors Lakes Cricket Club has two teams in the VTCA North A competition
and four teams in the North West Cricket Association. The club has rich
history of recent on field success, a strong off field position and a
commitment to junior development and community participation.
The successful applicant must have :

Effective communication skills

Committed to excellence

Task Driven
Applications via e-mail:
taylorslakes@club.cricketvictoria.com.au
or Shaun Borg 0415 558 192
Applications close May 30, 2011

Back