Geelong Cricket Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Geelong Cricket Chat

Good luck and congrats to the Thomson Cricket Club on sunday for the 20/20 fundraiser for the late Gary Witcombe. I played against Gary at both Thomson and Corio, always a great bloke who was happy to chat and have a beer afterwards. Hope it raises plenty for his family. Good on ya Thomson and my condolences to both your club and his family.

crktluva;327438 said:
Good luck and congrats to the Thomson Cricket Club on sunday for the 20/20 fundraiser for the late Gary Witcombe. I played against Gary at both Thomson and Corio, always a great bloke who was happy to chat and have a beer afterwards. Hope it raises plenty for his family. Good on ya Thomson and my condolences to both your club and his family.

i hope as many people can get to this as possible.. support jamie and the kids.
gary was a very close friend of mine. so come down people, open your pockets for a worthy cause please.

Badger;327551 said:
gary was a very close friend of mine. so come down people, open your pockets for a worthy cause please.

yeh, i hope its a good day. i cant be there but im sure al will go well

a dream will come true for GCA_ipl next round. he will get a pic of the famous wallington arvo tea, it will be posted here for all to see what is undoubtedly geelongs best cricket spread. i encourage others who think they can beat it to post pics here for the last round.

Badger;327551 said:

yeh, i hope its a good day. i cant be there but im sure al will go well

thomson today put on a great day for the gary witcombe memorial.
a lot of moeny was raised for jamie and the kids, and it seemed everyone had a good time.
thanks to the tcc for organizing such a great day. the friend's and family of gary were very impressed, and very happy with the turn out and the generosity of everyone involved.

a dream will come true for GCA_ipl next round. he will get a pic of the famous wallington arvo tea, it will be posted here for all to see what is undoubtedly geelongs best cricket spread. i encourage others who think they can beat it to post pics here for the last round.

Badger;328208 said:
a lot of moeny was raised for jamie and the kids, and it seemed everyone had a good time.
thanks to the tcc for organizing such a great day. the friend's and family of gary were very impressed, and very happy with the turn out and the generosity of everyone involved.

I'm glad to see there was such a great turnout, I heard tonight that in excess of $16,000 was raised which was a great effort by all involved.
Hopefully the money helps the family get over this tragic event if some way.

$16,000:eek: That is a remarkable effort in a day at a local cricket club. i would have expected maybe 3-5k tops. Bloody well done thomson cc and all those who attended. would love to here more detail about the day from those who were there, im astounded what local sports clubs can do for people at times. his family would be most appreciative of the support and gesture im sure. VERY IMPRESSIVE STUFF THOMSON!!!!

Badger;328208 said:

I'm glad to see there was such a great turnout, I heard tonight that in excess of $16,000 was raised which was a great effort by all involved.
Hopefully the money helps the family get over this tragic event if some way.

The Gary Whitcombe Memorial was a great day and a fitting tribute to a great clubman. Perfect weather and a huge turnout.

The 20/20 match went down to the last ball, the auction had some great pieces donated (I think everyone in the room wanted to buy the Don Bradman piece) and bidders everywhere, the live music was fantastic and there were plenty of drinks and beveredges consumed.

Thanks to everyone who attended/donated, good to see so many people there. Also to all the members of the pool club who made the day possible, thank you very much.

Gary was a great bloke and a great clubman which was evident with the number of people their to pay their respects.

One of the proudest days in my time at the Thomson Cricket Club.

$16,000:eek: That is a remarkable effort in a day at a local cricket club. i would have expected maybe 3-5k tops. Bloody well done thomson cc and all those who attended. would love to here more detail about the day from those who were there, im astounded what local sports clubs can do for people at times. his family would be most appreciative of the support and gesture im sure. VERY IMPRESSIVE STUFF THOMSON!!!!

crktluva;327956 said:

ok, can't wait. Make sure it is up by Saturday night so that I can gain some inspiration for our match at the G on Sunday !!

The Gary Whitcombe Memorial was a great day and a fitting tribute to a great clubman. Perfect weather and a huge turnout.

The 20/20 match went down to the last ball, the auction had some great pieces donated (I think everyone in the room wanted to buy the Don Bradman piece) and bidders everywhere, the live music was fantastic and there were plenty of drinks and beveredges consumed.

Thanks to everyone who attended/donated, good to see so many people there. Also to all the members of the pool club who made the day possible, thank you very much.

Gary was a great bloke and a great clubman which was evident with the number of people their to pay their respects.

thommy_rissole;328335 said:

well done guys, sounds like everyone worked together for a great cause.

I actually think back in the old Geelong Hotel days I might have played pool against Gary a few times, as he may have been the local pool shark there. That would have been about 15 years (or more) ago, and probably 5 years before I started playing cricket against him at Corio.

crktluva;327956 said:

ok, can't wait. Make sure it is up by Saturday night so that I can gain some inspiration for our match at the G on Sunday !!

crktluva;328324 said:

I hope my numbers were right, I did get told by a Thomson bloke at the BC around 11 after we'd all had a big day. I wasn't their to see the big turnout unfortunately but well done TCC and everyone involved.

well done guys, sounds like everyone worked together for a great cause.

I actually think back in the old Geelong Hotel days I might have played pool against Gary a few times, as he may have been the local pool shark there. That would have been about 15 years (or more) ago, and probably 5 years before I started playing cricket against him at Corio.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;328367 said:
I hope my numbers were right, I did get told by a Thomson bloke at the BC around 11 after we'd all had a big day. I wasn't their to see the big turnout unfortunately but well done TCC and everyone involved.

who hit the winning runs?? :cool:

crktluva;328324 said:

Yes, well done TCC on a fantastic fund-raising and tribute day. Well done also Dazza on his his Country Week performance.

who hit the winning runs?? :cool:

great day held at thomy in respect to gary whitcombe. excellent turn out with the frothies flowing, snags sizzling and the band pumping out a few golden oldies, and there happen to be a pretty good game of cricket happening also with the likes of buchanan, carson, smiljanic, fergusson, and former thomson and essendon keeper/gun batsmen brian salmon who posted an very impressive 50 at the top of the order for the pres 11.
belmont great brian coggs coghlan made himself available for the day which was fantastic, not 1 lbw for the day, must of had a hip flask. player af the match was close between salmon and thomy larrikan ross champ panther with the champ taking the choclates with 0 for 39 form 3 overs, which included 4 towering 6's and his 1st over was a maiden.

Yes, well done TCC on a fantastic fund-raising and tribute day. Well done also Dazza on his his Country Week performance.

great day held at thomy in respect to gary whitcombe. excellent turn out with the frothies flowing, snags sizzling and the band pumping out a few golden oldies, and there happen to be a pretty good game of cricket happening also with the likes of buchanan, carson, smiljanic, fergusson, and former thomson and essendon keeper/gun batsmen brian salmon who posted an very impressive 50 at the top of the order for the pres 11.
belmont great brian coggs coghlan made himself available for the day which was fantastic, not 1 lbw for the day, must of had a hip flask. player af the match was close between salmon and thomy larrikan ross champ panther with the champ taking the choclates with 0 for 39 form 3 overs, which included 4 towering 6's and his 1st over was a maiden.

identity_unknown;328529 said:
gca_ipl how was your reverse raffle on sunday? any words/ punches between ando and the hornet?

if u call punches, kissing with tongue then yes there were plenty of punches between my and hornet.:cool:

identity_unknown;328529 said:
gca_ipl how was your reverse raffle on sunday? any words/ punches between ando and the hornet?

if u call punches, kissing with tongue then yes there were plenty of punches between my and hornet.:cool:

pencil in 11;328517 said:
sounds like the champ was bakk to his best... he still tells the best story about him facing peter quick wen he was a young kid... no doubt u thommy boys would of heard that one... very very funny man

SBCC Reverse draw 10/10 can't complain when the squirt gets extended from 2 hours to 4 hours.........GOLD
icon14.gif

pencil in 11;328517 said:
sounds like the champ was bakk to his best... he still tells the best story about him facing peter quick wen he was a young kid... no doubt u thommy boys would of heard that one... very very funny man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back