General Chat 2011/12

We may disagree on some issues but surely not that there has been teams drop off in the south and there must be reasons for this and ways of fixing it...
Do you mean teams or clubs? Certainly there are reasons for dropping off as you put it, valid or invalid depending on one's view point. It's important to find out why. Once the why is known then it is possible to remedy the cause of there consternation. (Mental confusion) Do you know why they have departed?

I think rat was speaking in relation to why play a 4 day grand final when we spend all year playing 2 & 1 day cricket then finish with a strange finale.Tend to agree. Sledge, again you can't respond with the same old line 'join another comp'. It's a forum and a way for people to air their views. Dingo if you don't like peoples views please feel free not to respond. My active chat now takes the group to 4! Should we start our own forum so we don't let anybody here us saying anything bad about the board. We enjoy playing in the VTCA, all we argue is a few rule tweaks.
I happen to be a believer in free speech. I might not agree with what you are saying, but I will defend until death your right to say it. Your comment and others ,"All we argue is a few rule tweaks" is a threat to the 80 over game in it's current form. Unfortunately you and a few others can't see why.

I happen to be a believer in free speech. I might not agree with what you are saying, but I will defend until death your right to say it. Your comment and others ,"All we argue is a few rule tweaks" is a threat to the 80 over game in it's current form. Unfortunately you and a few others can't see why.
Ummm.......Why???

Ummm.......Why???
Because of the popularity of T/20 and the one-day matches juniors are more interested in how many 6's and 4's they can hit. Coaches over emphasise the necessity of bowling line and length in order to bowl more dot balls. Instead of bowling more wicket taking balls regardless of economy rate and average. More and more young bowlers coming into senior cricket can't bowl an effective bouncer anymore. When they do attempt to bowl a short ball it sails harmlessly 2' above the batsmans head and the fieldsmen say "Oooooh great ball."

No doubt the short game is increasingly popular all over the world. The spectators love the international matches. The players also as there is heaps of money on offer. So much money in fact that international players are deserting Test Cricket as it means they will have a longer life in the short game.

Soon in the not too far distant future suburban clubs will be playing one-day cricket as a fixtured competition. The match will be completed in a day. The 80 over game could well disappear and be only played at premier level. Hence my saying leave the bloody 80 over competition alone and lets not have one-day cricket restrictions creeping into the competition, because eventually it will creep into the 80 over game by stealth as well.

The suburban 80 over game is a very important form of cricket that nutures and teachers young cricketers on how to go about building a cricket career that will hold them in good stead for the future.

Because of the popularity of T/20 and the one-day matches juniors are more interested in how many 6's and 4's they can hit. Coaches over emphasise the necessity of bowling line and length in order to bowl more dot balls.....]

I absolutely agree with your statements, and the reasons you've provided.

As part of that group advocating bowling restrictions in fixtured OD matches, I have no desire to see OD matches replace fixtured 80 over CC 2 day matches. Our request is where those matches are fixtured. It's a long bow to draw our request to the extinction of Park 2 day matches.

I have in the past stated my liking of playing just one day cricket but i am happy to admit that i think there is a place for 1 and 2 day games still. I liked the idea that the lower divisions played each team twice, once in each format, although the weather made it hard to gage if that was successful. The only problem here is number of teams etc. As much as we would all like to resist the change of T20 cricket its in the public eye so we need to role with it and 40 over cricket probably does that at local level.

I have in the past stated my liking of playing just one day cricket but i am happy to admit that i think there is a place for 1 and 2 day games still. I liked the idea that the lower divisions played each team twice, once in each format, although the weather made it hard to gage if that was successful. The only problem here is number of teams etc. As much as we would all like to resist the change of T20 cricket its in the public eye so we need to role with it and 40 over cricket probably does that at local level.
With all this supposed interest in T20 cricket the VTCA could just reconstitute the old tuesday twlight matches, instead of
playing matches on Sundays

With all this supposed interest in T20 cricket the VTCA could just reconstitute the old tuesday twlight matches, instead of
playing matches on Sundays
we played all our T20s on a tuesday night last year... I would like to see the T20s this year have a group stage so each club gets at least 3 games, good to have an extra hit or bowl and makes a few dollars over the bar/canteen...

Because of the popularity of T/20 and the one-day matches juniors are more interested in how many 6's and 4's they can hit. Coaches over emphasise the necessity of bowling line and length in order to bowl more dot balls. Instead of bowling more wicket taking balls regardless of economy rate and average. More and more young bowlers coming into senior cricket can't bowl an effective bouncer anymore. When they do attempt to bowl a short ball it sails harmlessly 2' above the batsmans head and the fieldsmen say "Oooooh great ball."

No doubt the short game is increasingly popular all over the world. The spectators love the international matches. The players also as there is heaps of money on offer. So much money in fact that international players are deserting Test Cricket as it means they will have a longer life in the short game.

Soon in the not too far distant future suburban clubs will be playing one-day cricket as a fixtured competition. The match will be completed in a day. The 80 over game could well disappear and be only played at premier level. Hence my saying leave the bloody 80 over competition alone and lets not have one-day cricket restrictions creeping into the competition, because eventually it will creep into the 80 over game by stealth as well.

The suburban 80 over game is a very important form of cricket that nutures and teachers young cricketers on how to go about building a cricket career that will hold them in good stead for the future.

The compulsory closure rule is why coaches want bowlers to bowl dot balls, so until this is changed, neither will the coaches instructions. Batsmen get themselves out if they face too many dot balls anyway....:(

All local cricket matches in England are finished in one day & are 50 over games, if i could be stuffed doing some homework on this theres probably more countries that do the same, we might be the minority playing two day cricket????

we played all our T20s on a tuesday night last year... I would like to see the T20s this year have a group stage so each club gets at least 3 games, good to have an extra hit or bowl and makes a few dollars over the bar/canteen...
As Underarm bowler said T20 is definately in the public eye. Can't argue against that. As slow medium indicated T20 on a tuesday night is also a goer and works for some clubs. Although other clubs find the logistics and management of the game too much. Not to mention the extra work load on some of the expensive professionals. On the other hand I believe the 50 over game has definate possibilities.

The compulsory closure rule is why coaches want bowlers to bowl dot balls, so until this is changed, neither will the coaches instructions. Batsmen get themselves out if they face too many dot balls anyway....:(

All local cricket matches in England are finished in one day & are 50 over games, if i could be stuffed doing some homework on this theres probably more countries that do the same, we might be the minority playing two day cricket????
I think the way to solve our delirium is for the vtca to run two competitions side by side. The 80 over comp and the 50 over comp and never shall the twain meet. This would mean the vtca would invite clubs to affiliate with either the 80 over comp or the 50 over comp. Which ever comp the club affiliated with would mean the club would have to play all it's teams in the comp it chose. As we are all too well aware, todays youth don't commit for the entire season like they used to 30 years ago

As somebody that has spent a bit of time in the UK most leagues start play at 1 ish and the games that go the distance tend to end close to if not after 7pm. Overrate pentalties can help quicken things up but the lack of twilight in Melbourne makes it very hard so earlier starts would have to brought in.Then it brings in a whole different arguement.

So now let me get this straight Dingo.
We can't have bowling restrictions in the occasional one day game we do have because somehow over the next 57 years(?) it is going to spread like a virus and wipe out the 80 over competition.....yet we can drive a wedge between the whole VTCA by asking clubs to divide into a 2 day (80 over) and 1 day (50 over) comp....you're of ya rocka!!!

Point 1 - we like the 2 day game!

Point 2 - we don't make the fixture - so when they do fixture a one day game (like half the season in South A & B last year!) or it becomes a one day game through non play on week 1, make a proper game of it by having some bowling restrictions (eg. 8 overs or min 5 bowlers or whatever for 40 over games - 10 overs or min 6 bowlers or whatever for 50 over games)

Point 3 - I'm a bowler and I know the game is in favour of batters....so what!?! Most runs wins!!! And everyone can expect to bat on any given day.

Point 4 - If we ever get to a situation like some Pommy leagues who along with their 50 over games have time games of 120 overs in the day, with winning and losing draws etc....We Are Stuffed!!! Be careful what you wish for!

Just to throw more wood on the fire i am going to throw an added topic in for discussion. As a team that plays on one of the biggest, slowest grounds in the southern hemisphere and with so many different sized grounds is it time for a more even spread of bonus points. Before we all start getting touchy again i realise its hard etc but it can be simplified. My main problem is that teams that win should be rewarded with a maximum number of points and losing teams are the ones that fight for bonus points....either on runs/wickets or % of wining teams score.By doing this if you win the ladder reflects this.Thoughts?

Just to throw more wood on the fire i am going to throw an added topic in for discussion. As a team that plays on one of the biggest, slowest grounds in the southern hemisphere and with so many different sized grounds is it time for a more even spread of bonus points. Before we all start getting touchy again i realise its hard etc but it can be simplified. My main problem is that teams that win should be rewarded with a maximum number of points and losing teams are the ones that fight for bonus points....either on runs/wickets or % of wining teams score.By doing this if you win the ladder reflects this.Thoughts?

I didn't know you played at Parkdale? Bonus Points- I've played with 'em for 20+ years, never liked 'em, can see the argument for them, don't know of any plausible alternative. Good luck if you can think of a system that means meaningful cricket once a result has been decided.

Is beer cricket meaningful??? ;)
I actually like the term 'once a result has been decided' = game over!!!

I played in the MMVCA comp a few years back and they played once a team had won game over, UNLESS there was a realistic chance of an outright win. that comp is No longer... I might go against the trend but i actually like the bonus points system and playing out the game.

Back