General Chat 2011/12

I played in the MMVCA comp a few years back and they played once a team had won game over, UNLESS there was a realistic chance of an outright win. that comp is No longer... I might go against the trend but i actually like the bonus points system and playing out the game.

It's a tricky one isn't it, bonus points pros- you play to play, not sit on the boundary at 3:30pm necking tubes, bonus points cons- geeze it's crap sometimes, walking around the outfield watching some drip bloack out 30 odd meaningless overs and wanting a few tubes instead. Can't have it and eat it too I guess.

It's a tricky one isn't it, bonus points pros- you play to play, not sit on the boundary at 3:30pm necking tubes, bonus points cons- geeze it's crap sometimes, walking around the outfield watching some drip bloack out 30 odd meaningless overs and wanting a few tubes instead. Can't have it and eat it too I guess.

Agreed i forgot about the idiots that dont actually try and get bonus points and just bat to survive, there should be a mercy rule!

Thats where an original concept probably needs to be thought of. I have lost count of the number of games that have turned ugly during those bonus point few overs that go on.

Just to throw more wood on the fire i am going to throw an added topic in for discussion. As a team that plays on one of the biggest, slowest grounds in the southern hemisphere and with so many different sized grounds is it time for a more even spread of bonus points. Before we all start getting touchy again i realise its hard etc but it can be simplified. My main problem is that teams that win should be rewarded with a maximum number of points and losing teams are the ones that fight for bonus points....either on runs/wickets or % of wining teams score.By doing this if you win the ladder reflects this.Thoughts?
You can bring the boundaries in by applying at the start of the season to do so. You must have a white line around, not like Brighton who tend to have purple dots which fade by the second week.

You can bring the boundaries in by applying at the start of the season to do so. You must have a white line around, not like Brighton who tend to have purple dots which fade by the second week.

You could make the boundaries 30m at parkdale and still only get a 1 along the ground !!

Cant we just follow the states premier cricket comp rules? The 3rds and 4ths Play 80 Over two dayers 1pm Start and 45 over one dayers 1230pm start (with 9 overs max a bowler) 6points a win and 10 for outright, no bonus points. Once a result is achieved a neither captain wishes to push for an outright result thats it.. PERFECT how easy is that??

Cant we just follow the states premier cricket comp rules? The 3rds and 4ths Play 80 Over two dayers 1pm Start and 45 over one dayers 1230pm start (with 9 overs max a bowler) 6points a win and 10 for outright, no bonus points. Once a result is achieved a neither captain wishes to push for an outright result thats it.. PERFECT how easy is that??

Got my vote....
As a point of interest, any requests for rule changes must be made in writing prior to 1 April to the sub-committee for rule changes on the Match Committee of the V.T.C.A.
Hope this helps with any future discussions and proposals for any interested parties.​

Got my vote....
As a point of interest, any requests for rule changes must be made in writing prior to 1 April to the sub-committee for rule changes on the Match Committee of the V.T.C.A.​
Hope this helps with any future discussions and proposals for any interested parties.​
The main reason the VTCA has a bonus point system, is to make use of grounds being used. There were issues
in the past with council's and ground usage

The main reason the VTCA has a bonus point system, is to make use of grounds being used. There were issues
in the past with council's and ground usage
Thats true, as soccer is trying to move to summer and if they see grounds vacant they question why they can't use it. In Bayside the soccer rats have people working to try and get grounds off cricket. They are the enemy.

Thats true, as soccer is trying to move to summer and if they see grounds vacant they question why they can't use it. In Bayside the soccer rats have people working to try and get grounds off cricket. They are the enemy.

It's funny I drive past at least 3 purpose built soccer grounds that are in disrepair 1 on balcombe rd in mentone and there are a couple in the heatherton area... They must conveniently over look these

Got my vote....
As a point of interest, any requests for rule changes must be made in writing prior to 1 April to the sub-committee for rule changes on the Match Committee of the V.T.C.A.​
Only found this out this winter well past Apirl 1st, but will be writing something up this year and hopefully get some other clubs on board during post match beers..

have a time or over limit (ie must play till 445pm) ul find most games are still alive till this point anyway..

There is one association that I know that has this rule in place.
"In the event of a first innings decision being reached on the second day of a match, and the two captains agree(not the Umpires) that play is to cease not earlier than 5:00pm, then they can do so irrespective of the number of overs bowled to that time."

Only found this out this winter well past Apirl 1st, but will be writing something up this year and hopefully get some other clubs on board during post match beers..

....And please ask why April 1? That's the wind down....who cares period....maybe I just answered my own question!!!:rolleyes:

....And please ask why April 1? That's the wind down....who cares period....maybe I just answered my own question!!!:rolleyes:

Know this seems like a minority view here.. but i'll stick up for the bonus points system and the comp in general. Agree not perfect, but what is? Good thing, it FORCES everyone to stay out there for 80 overs each day.We all know where we sand at the start of play, what we make of it is in each clubs hands.

Keeps a lot of clubs in contention even when win loss ratio ain’t too flash after the first half of the season – jostling for ladder positions (at both ends of the ladder) at the end of season is always very fascinating. If an alternative was to come into vogue all this would be mostly lost or least not as interesting.

Having the last round as a one dayer shows the VTCA taking concrete actions to stop the rot that (used to annually) take place with outright results at the end of the season. Overall player points cap is yet another example of the comp doing something albeit after many years of inaction. Again this won't stop all the shenanigans (just like speed limits don't stop everyone from speeding) but credit to the comp executive for doing something.

Personally not a fan of 6 points for a Win and doughnut for loss system – minority view here it seems but there u are.

hasn't anyone told the wogball alliance that you play round ball on a square pitch???
Yeah and beware of wogball Alliances wanting to share cricket grounds. The first thing they want to do is put two soccer pitch's in and then follow up with synthetic surfaces which aren't suitable for cricketers.

Know this seems like a minority view here.. but i'll stick up for the bonus points system and the comp in general. Agree not perfect, but what is? Good thing, it FORCES everyone to stay out there for 80 overs each day.We all know where we sand at the start of play, what we make of it is in each clubs hands.

Keeps a lot of clubs in contention even when win loss ratio ain’t too flash after the first half of the season – jostling for ladder positions (at both ends of the ladder) at the end of season is always very fascinating. If an alternative was to come into vogue all this would be mostly lost or least not as interesting.

Having the last round as a one dayer shows the VTCA taking concrete actions to stop the rot that (used to annually) take place with outright results at the end of the season. Overall player points cap is yet another example of the comp doing something albeit after many years of inaction. Again this won't stop all the shenanigans (just like speed limits don't stop everyone from speeding) but credit to the comp executive for doing something.

Personally not a fan of 6 points for a Win and doughnut for loss system – minority view here it seems but there u are.
Excellent post Roy G Biv. I couldn't agree with you more. I have witnessed too many games that have finished as early as 3pm on the second day once a 1st innings result was achieved, simply because an outright was deemed unachievable and as a consequence 3 hours of cricket was lost for those that wanted to play on.

Those that advocate closure at 5 or 5.30 pm if captains agree so they can hit the bar totally miss the point of bonus points and minimum requirement of 80 overs per day. We are here to play cricket. So lets do just that every minute we can.

Re field and bowling restrictions for the occasional one-day game. It's simply a case of an exasperated bleat from two so called bats who can't bat in Dstrek and Daleshack. Both of whom have an average of less than 20 and haven't made more that 350 in a season ever. They probably won't either as long as their dunga funga's point to the ground. No wonder they want restrictions.

As for 2blues whom it's claimed bats at 11 agreeing with them, well he's a total disgrace to the bowlers fraternity.

They carry on like they are the majority view. Well they maybe on this thread but beware of the silent majority. The VTCA is about playing serious cricket to the best of ones ability and not about extending a helping hand to retards. There is another competition for that.

Excellent post Roy G Biv. I couldn't agree with you more. I have witnessed too many games that have finished as early as 3pm on the second day once a 1st innings result was achieved, simply because an outright was deemed unachievable and as a consequence 3 hours of cricket was lost for those that wanted to play on.

Those that advocate closure at 5 or 5.30 pm if captains agree so they can hit the bar totally miss the point of bonus points and minimum requirement of 80 overs per day. We are here to play cricket. So lets do just that every minute we can.

Re field and bowling restrictions for the occasional one-day game. It's simply a case of an exasperated bleat from two so called bats who can't bat in Dstrek and Daleshack. Both of whom have an average of less than 20 and haven't made more that 350 in a season ever. They probably won't either as long as their dunga funga's point to the ground. No wonder they want restrictions.

As for 2blues whom it's claimed bats at 11 agreeing with them, well he's a total disgrace to the bowlers fraternity.

They carry on like they are the majority view. Well they maybe on this thread but beware of the silent majority. The VTCA is about playing serious cricket to the best of ones ability and not about extending a helping hand to retards. There is another competition for that.
those that want a game to finish early so they can hit the bar should play in the one day comp.

others want to play a FULL days cricket. where ever whenever, if there is a game of cricket on, i'll be there. we only do it for 5 months.

Back