General Chat 2011/12

My sentiments exactly Hussler. I also agree with 2 bluesboss's comments. It appears weapons and nelsonpee wouldn't know shit from clay judging by their remarks. Anyway this is supposed to be a turf club site. I'll let those two into a little secret, their is such a thing as technique and if a kid has got it, he'll have it by age 15. That kid should go to a premier club where if he's any good he'll have a couple of games in the 4th's, play 3rd's for a season then into the two's.

Now the secret. If a kid hasn't got it by age 18, he's a dud as far as getting to premier 1st's and will be used as a hack in thirds and fourths to fill the sides if he keeps paying his money. Ask any premier club coach worth his salt if they haven't got it by 18 they'll never have it. Why the hell any parent would encourage their child to go to subbies from a local turf club is beyond me. It's a step sideways not upwards. If subbies are pulling 13,14 and 15 year olds out of local comps to fill their 3rd's and 4th's, that supports our argument.

So do you or husler have a clue about district cricket? It really doesn't sound like it buddy. Your kidding yourself if you think your opinion is correct and if it was once it defiantly isn't now

My sentiments exactly Hussler. I also agree with 2 bluesboss's comments. It appears weapons and nelsonpee wouldn't know shit from clay judging by their remarks. Anyway this is supposed to be a turf club site. I'll let those two into a little secret, their is such a thing as technique and if a kid has got it, he'll have it by age 15. That kid should go to a premier club where if he's any good he'll have a couple of games in the 4th's, play 3rd's for a season then into the two's.

Now the secret. If a kid hasn't got it by age 18, he's a dud as far as getting to premier 1st's and will be used as a hack in thirds and fourths to fill the sides if he keeps paying his money. Ask any premier club coach worth his salt if they haven't got it by 18 they'll never have it. Why the hell any parent would encourage their child to go to subbies from a local turf club is beyond me. It's a step sideways not upwards. If subbies are pulling 13,14 and 15 year olds out of local comps to fill their 3rd's and 4th's, that supports our argument.

Go to any successful local club and check out how far and high they let their juniors go only to reap the rewards in the future... It doesn't make a difference if the kids make it a district level its about having a crack and seeing how far they can go. There is no using!!! District clubs need 3s and 4s players but (most) good young players need to start off in the 3s and 4s so its a balancing act for both parties

You need to read the posts again moron, I never quoted you originally??????

Now who needs a clue.......:eek:

p.s im getting my club nowhere hahaaha........you should talk to weapons about that, the goat herders are going nowhere in a hurry hahahahaha................shittrucks!!!!!!!!!

yes husslers club won aturf bturf a cturf flags last year in the willy comp........but yes he done nothing....plus they have no jnrs....but by the time he finishes up he wouldnt care!!......living in his brothers footsteps 1 would say!!!! best grade he has played is the luscombe shield in the nwca.....

thats right hussler.....since ive been their as coach we have gone from 2 snr sides when i started now to 4 sides......from 4 jnr sides now to 6......2 u/17 teams........he can hahahaha all he likes we are building for the future and playing finals both b grade 1s and 2s finals the last few years says we are not that far off........go figure he is clueless about clues!!!!

ps hussler.......how many jnr players did you have in a-turf/b-turf flags last year.........????

Ta
I don't think Kooka is any better, having used it in the past. Far too many bowlers rely too heavily on cut off the pitch. When the seam flattens out and the wicket is hard(because we play on covered wickets) all of a sudden most bowlers are straight up and down. So they become cannon fodder. Bowlers should be able to swing the ball in any condition whether it's one over old or 79. These days if their's no cut bowlers tend to lose heart and pack it in.
Take it easy Dingo. The game is made for batsmen. Given the benefit of the doubt etc. Curators should be leavin a bit of juice in each wicket every Sat to even it out imo. So to say "bowlers tend to lose heart and pack it in" is a bit rich. And not even test bowlers around the world swing the ball, let alone from over number 1 through to 79, get a grip....

yes husslers club won aturf bturf a cturf flags last year in the willy comp........but yes he done nothing....plus they have no jnrs....but by the time he finishes up he wouldnt care!!......living in his brothers footsteps 1 would say!!!! best grade he has played is the luscombe shield in the nwca.....

thats right hussler.....since ive been their as coach we have gone from 2 snr sides when i started now to 4 sides......from 4 jnr sides now to 6......2 u/17 teams........he can hahahaha all he likes we are building for the future and playing finals both b grade 1s and 2s finals the last few years says we are not that far off........go figure he is clueless about clues!!!!

ps hussler.......how many jnr players did you have in a-turf/b-turf flags last year.........????
Can I suggest that you take your WDCA crap back to the WDCA thread? You guys have said that you don't want to be a part of the VTCA on your thread, but you now seem to find time to get on here and post.

Can I suggest that you take your WDCA crap back to the WDCA thread? You guys have said that you don't want to be a part of the VTCA on your thread, but you now seem to find time to get on here and post.

Too Old, I think there are too many people on here weighed down by the chips on their shoulders and maybe you are right - they should do it on their own thread. Not the first time I've agreed with you. Maybe I should change my moniker to 'Too Old Body Broke 2' ;)

So do you or husler have a clue about district cricket? It really doesn't sound like it buddy. Your kidding yourself if you think your opinion is correct and if it was once it defiantly isn't now

There are many players that have played Premier Cricket 1s after going to Premier Cricket in their 20s.

There are many players that have played Premier Cricket 1s after going to Premier Cricket in their 20s.

yes all it takes is a bit of preparation and persistence.

Sounds like hussler doesn't have any idea about any cricket besides what he currently competes in which is irrelevant in this thread if its true his club is not even involved in the vtca

Guys in their early 20s get used by district clubs.......they promise them games in the 1 & 2s just so they can fill their 3s & 4s & that hurts local cricket, its FACT.

As for subbies 3s & 4s, well they are playing a pathetic standard, the better kids who play there would be better off playing local cricket (1s or 2s if good enough) which is a lot better standard than they play in subbies 3s & 4s...............by the way, use spellcheck you tiprat.......:p
I have to say I agree with this. We (Spotty) have had quite a few young guys head to district cricket with big ambitions. Some get their ambitions and ability mixed up. However, Spotty has all 4 senior sides playing on turf each week. The 3/4's have a good mixture of young and old. When our younger players head to district (over the last 15 years) they tend to get stuck playing 3/4's cricket and rarely get a game in the 2's. And when they decide district is not for them, they then go looking for $'s at other clubs. I think that the majority of them would have been better served playing at their local clubs and cementing their spot in the 1/2's and then heading to a district club with a bit of a reputation and some stats to back it up. I am sick of seeing them drawn to district clubs like dears in headlights, given the club clothing and never really reaching their potential. And please don't tell me that there is a big gap between district/sub district 3/4's to our 3/4's.

Ta

Take it easy Dingo. The game is made for batsmen. Given the benefit of the doubt etc. Curators should be leavin a bit of juice in each wicket every Sat to even it out imo. So to say "bowlers tend to lose heart and pack it in" is a bit rich. And not even test bowlers around the world swing the ball, let alone from over number 1 through to 79, get a grip....
i think the kookas are more consistant week in week out, platypus do produce some good rocks but they dont to either check them before they are stamped and sold or they are just not a good ball.. as for the white balls kookas are miles ahead at the moment..

Been reading this with interest....

District 3s would be a better/similar standard than North A and competeive with North and maybe some clubs in Senior. Add this to the level of training and professional these kids receive they are better heading to district have a crack then if not succesfull head back to their clubs as better players.

Local clubs cant / dont offer the type of atmoshphere district clubs can....Add this to training on turf 2 x a week... not many local clubs have this...

And for you to say spotswoods 3s/4s are comparable... shows you really have no idea...local cricket 3s and 4s will not develop kids....
Mate I dont know what cricket you have seen or played, but to say 3/4's district or sub-distirct cricket would be competitive to North or Senior cricket..... well I am gob smacked. That is just an out and out silly comment. Granted that the training at the district level is approached in a more professional manner, and it would be more intense, but please don't tell me about atmosphere of district clubs. I am sure there are plenty of district clubs that would hardly ever socialize outside of the Sat arvo's ie after training and matches. In fact, almost all of our ex-district players have said the same and they have all said that this in fact is what makes a "Club". And local 3/4's does in fact develope kids, it gives them a chance to play against men on turf. They can then decide if if they want to try at a higher level. And for the record, Spotty does have turf wickets (8 tracks) and we were training on them all year round from the first week of Sept last year...... so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Mate I dont know what cricket you have seen or played, but to say 3/4's district or sub-distirct cricket would be competitive to North or Senior cricket..... well I am gob smacked. That is just an out and out silly comment. Granted that the training at the district level is approached in a more professional manner, and it would be more intense, but please don't tell me about atmosphere of district clubs. I am sure there are plenty of district clubs that would hardly ever socialize outside of the Sat arvo's ie after training and matches. In fact, almost all of our ex-district players have said the same and they have all said that this in fact is what makes a "Club". And local 3/4's does in fact develope kids, it gives them a chance to play against men on turf. They can then decide if if they want to try at a higher level. And for the record, Spotty does have turf wickets (8 tracks) and we were training on them all year round from the first week of Sept last year...... so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Agree that some top district 3rds sides (geelong/ringwood) would beat ALL nth A/handfull NTH and SOME (1 or 2) senior sides.

the confusion here is that subbies and premier are completly different. Subbies is a joke and should be scrapped. Top 4 senior div sides would beat ANY subbies team. 3rds/4ths at subbies is EQUAL to VTCA 3rds/4ths. Only difference is that subbies have non-playing scorers!!

Premier cricket is a step up, and juniors should go and play there regardless of what grade they play. Subbies is overrated, and no junior should go play subbies thinking its a step up, (unless if you home club is rabble - even then id go to a different local club).

Been reading this with interest....

District 3s would be a better/similar standard than North A and competeive with North and maybe some clubs in Senior. Add this to the level of training and professional these kids receive they are better heading to district have a crack then if not succesfull head back to their clubs as better players.

Local clubs cant / dont offer the type of atmoshphere district clubs can....Add this to training on turf 2 x a week... not many local clubs have this...

And for you to say spotswoods 3s/4s are comparable... shows you really have no idea...local cricket 3s and 4s will not develop kids....

Finally someone makes some sense.

The difference a year with much more credible and excelled coaches as well as turf training facilities is fantastic.

Not every vtca or local club has the chance to play all 4 sides on turf and/or train on turf facilities.

District cricket offers so much more to young or older cricketers future no matter what age they are or level they play. The things they learn will be what they take back to their local clubs in however many years in takes for them to say you know what ive given this a crack and now its time to play local cricket again.

I'd be very interested to know of one person who went to a district club who's progression into becoming a better cricketer was slowed or stopped.

Agree that some top district 3rds sides (geelong/ringwood) would beat ALL nth A/handfull NTH and SOME (1 or 2) senior sides.

the confusion here is that subbies and premier are completly different. Subbies is a joke and should be scrapped. Top 4 senior div sides would beat ANY subbies team. 3rds/4ths at subbies is EQUAL to VTCA 3rds/4ths. Only difference is that subbies have non-playing scorers!!

Premier cricket is a step up, and juniors should go and play there regardless of what grade they play. Subbies is overrated, and no junior should go play subbies thinking its a step up, (unless if you home club is rabble - even then id go to a different local club).

Agreed district 3s and 4s is still strong as you are playing against good, young kids (generally) who are looking for an opportunity to push to bigger and better things. The coaching is the biggest plus of this and results in not only seeing the improvement in player games (bowling/batting) but also in the way young cricketers think and play the actual game through field placements, and other importance's to the game other than batting and bowling

M
Agreed district 3s and 4s is still strong as you are playing against good, young kids (generally) who are looking for an opportunity to push to bigger and better things. The coaching is the biggest plus of this and results in not only seeing the improvement in player games (bowling/batting) but also in the way young cricketers think and play the actual game through field placements, and other importance's to the game other than batting and bowling

Much better playing against gun kids (with a few older guys) than against a bunch of crap in VTCA 3s/4s....

meltons side the last couple of years would beat lower district 1's sides......top of my head i could think of 10 better players that subbies have than any div 1 sen side........

top 4 sen div would beat ANY subbies team.......ppppffffttttt stop pulling your pud!!!!

see what we've started hussler........hahahaha

i just follow hussler and go against everything he say's.......simple.....like it or lump it!!!!

meltons side the last couple of years would beat lower district 1's sides......top of my head i could think of 10 better players that subbies have than any div 1 sen side........

top 4 sen div would beat ANY subbies team.......ppppffffttttt stop pulling your pud!!!!

see what we've started hussler........hahahaha
but some of the lower clubs like ormond, moorabbin wouldnt do any good in north or south division........

I have to say I agree with this. We (Spotty) have had quite a few young guys head to district cricket with big ambitions. Some get their ambitions and ability mixed up. However, Spotty has all 4 senior sides playing on turf each week. The 3/4's have a good mixture of young and old. When our younger players head to district (over the last 15 years) they tend to get stuck playing 3/4's cricket and rarely get a game in the 2's. And when they decide district is not for them, they then go looking for $'s at other clubs. I think that the majority of them would have been better served playing at their local clubs and cementing their spot in the 1/2's and then heading to a district club with a bit of a reputation and some stats to back it up. I am sick of seeing them drawn to district clubs like dears in headlights, given the club clothing and never really reaching their potential. And please don't tell me that there is a big gap between district/sub district 3/4's to our 3/4's.

Too Old, I agree that some players who leave Premier Cricket don't go back to their local club due to easy money elsewhere.

Training in the Premier Cricket environment is at a much more professional level. I hate to say it, but training with local clubs has the disadvantage of the training with local 3s/4s. Although you get some amazing people and some talented individuals their intensity is simply not there in many cases. Need I say it, the same semi-circle catching drills, people standing around chatting, some turn up to training once a week (if at all), people turning up at 6:30pm, 7 people trying to bowl in the same net -it's endemic at most local clubs. You mix kids up with that and reduces the chance for kids to improve. These same people who bring down training are the same ones that add to the social fabric of your club. They're part of the reason for strong culture at local clubs. The other reason that club culture at local clubs may feel superior to that at Premier Cricket Clubs is that the turnover of players at Premier Cricket Clubs is fairly high so there is not as good a chance to form bonds (particularly of the lower grade players).

Unless a team consistently plays against a certain level it is hard to tell if they are worthy opponents so our talk of comparing grades is almost impossible to judge exactly. In VTCA North B1, Greenvale's 2nd XI made the finals playing against 1st XI teams. I know Greenvale fairly well and I would say that their 2nd XI would be close to a low/mid-table 4th XI Premier Cricket team. So, by that comparison a mid/high-table 4th XI Premier Cricket team would probably come close to winning North B1.
I'm sure that a Premier Cricket 3rd XI team would be ultra competitive in North A. A high-table 3rd XI side could be somewhat competitve in North Division without making the finals. Senior Division is probably a step too far. They would probably be relegation bait.

Alot of the guys in VTCA North Division, North A etc are ex Premier Cricket 2s and 3s players who have come back to an appropriate level.
Going to a Premier Club with stats behind you is not always necessary. I am thinking of one player I know of who progressed from 4ths - 1sts in half a season and another in just over half a season. Point is, if you go there and perform then you can progress. You only get out what you put in. Many young kids that go to Premier Cricket aren't ready to put out what is required. Only once they have returned to the VTCA do they realise the opportunity gone.

Back