Harbhajan asked to explain case by April 28

N

News Bot

Harbhajan asked to explain case by April 28

The BCCI is irked by Harbhajan Singh's juvenile behaviour of allegedly slapping Sreesanth after the Mumbai Indians lost to Kings XI Punjab in Mohali on Friday and has asked him to explain his case by April 28.

More...

Re: Harbhajan asked to explain case by April 28

I know there is some footage online somewhere will try and find it. Anyone that has seen it care to explain what happened?

Haven't seen it. All I know is that he has either punched or slapped Sreesanth under the eye. He appears to be in pretty big trouble, the ICC has also asked him to explain and may be in breach of the ICC's Code of Conduct. If that is the case, he could be suspended.

Just saw footage of Sreenath crying and hugging a team mate, didn't see the incident though. They said he slapped him.

Harbhajan suspended temporarily

Harbhajan Singh has been temporarily suspended from the Indian Premier League following his spat with Sreesanth at the end of the Mumbai-Punjab game in Mohali on Friday.

More...

I am pretty sure I read that the Indian cricket board have suspended him. Will have a look for an article link

Harbhajan Singh has been banned for a minimum of 11 IPL games meaning he is effectively banned for the rest of the tournament after his physical gesture towards S Sreesanth after the game between Kings XI Punjab and Mumbai Indians on Friday.

Farookh Engineer, the match referee fined Harbhajan 100% of his match fee for the game, inflicting a financial penalty on the Indian off-spinner as well as a very lengthy suspension.

Harbhajan won't be appealing the ban and is also expected to come under scrutiny from the BCCI who will launch their own enquiry into the incident.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harbhajan cops a minimum 11 game ban

Wow, a very long ban given by the IPL there, a lot longer than I thought. Originally he was looking at a five match ban but it's been extended to 11 or possibly 13 if Mumbai makes the final which doesn't appear likely at this point. According to the article, Harbhajan shook hands with the players in the line before Sreesanth, then slapped the young fast bowler before continuing down the line once more, shaking hands with the other players. A woeful effort by Harbhajan if true, that isn't sportsmanlike at all.

He may be in more toruble too if the BCCI get their way, he could miss quite a bit of cricket yet.

HARBHAJAN SINGH'S turbulent career is one blemish away from being "Turbanated" by his employers, with his slap on Shantha Sreesanth the penultimate straw. Those who have gone in to bat for the spinner for many years have now turned their backs in fury.

During the "monkey"-taunt row that marred India's tour of Australia, Harbhajan was portrayed as a victim by his supporters. No longer.

'There is no question for any repetition, we cannot have tolerance of any repeat actions of this nature," senior Indian official Inderjit Singh Bindra told the Herald last night. "Once punished for such an offence, a player cannot make the same indiscretion again."

One of the most powerful figures in cricket, Bindra warned Harbhajan to tone down his aggression upon his return from Australia, and has been left deflated by the latest temper tantrum from the Sikh spinner.

"He has disappointed all of us," said Bindra, the International Cricket Council's principal adviser. "I personally warned him after Australia, I told him he needed to be all the more careful because 'you are under watch, you are under probation'.

"He has had problems on a couple of occasions in the past. He was warned by the association that if he doesn't listen to the advice then next is a hard knock on his knuckles."

That knuckle-rap came in the form of an 11-match Indian Premier League ban, but it is "only part of the punishment" for Harbhajan. Bindra confirmed the Board of Control for Cricket in India would likely suspend him for a further five Tests or 10 one-day internationals, as per the ICC sanctions available for the assault of a fellow player.

Harbhajan's Mumbai contract is worth $US850,000 and because he will only be paid for the first two matches he played, he is now $US729,000 out of pocket.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/04/29/1209234862925.html

If it was anyone else I might of cared that the sentence was pretty harsh but as it is Harbhajan I find it funny. For him to lose all that money as well ices it off

The BCCI have banned Harbhajan Singh for five ODI's after the infamous slapping incident involving fellow Indian representative S Sreesanth. The ban means that Harbhajan will the tri-series being hosted by Bangladesh and also the start of the Asian Cup.

Harbhajan has already been excluded from the remainder of the IPL Twenty20 tournament.

Harbhajan banned for five ODI's

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally the BCCI are getting tough on their players. A good move from them, those sort of actions are not acceptable from any player on the field. Any more occurances of such behaviour could see Harbhajan cop a life ban. Also interesting to note that Sreesanth has been told to clean up his actions on the field, while he does overdo it sometimes, I thought that trying to shake a guy's hand after the game is well within the on-field code of conduct!!

Further mis-conduct will result in a life ban.

"A senior BCCI official told Cricinfo that Harbhajan faces a life ban if reported and found guilty of indiscipline by match officials at any level of cricket, as specified by the Indian board's rules. The scope of that offence ranges from verbally abusing a rival player to physical assault. "

From Here

Back