Hilditch And Chappell Sacked

Ljp86

Staff member
Andrew Hilditch and Greg Chappell have been sacked as Cricket Australia reacts to the damning report which was released yesterday after a disatrous Ashes series in which they lost 3-1. Hilditch has been removed from the panel as has Chappell as CA look to create a five-man selection committee comprising of one full-time selector (chairman), two part-time selectors with the captain and coach taking the last two positions. Hilditch is eligible to apply for the part-time selection roles but cannot become chairman due to other committments with Chappell banned from the new panel altogether. Chappell was banned by the players from the dressing room in recent times with some players finding him to be a complete pest.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/528309.html

Hallefreakinglujah!!!!!!!

If Chappell was behaving this ridiculously and he sounds so counter-productive it isn't funny, why did it need a report that took ages to get together, to be shot of him?

I'll admit that I was supprised at how much sense the recommendations in the report made. CA has been struggling in the common sense department for a while now, but we may have turned the corner.

I'd be interested on your thoughts on who should be coaching. Warne for mine has a brilliant understanding of the game and would do a good job. He'd probably help put an end to this rediculous cycle of spinners we're currently going through as well.

Yes Yes Yes, WOW they got the picture. They have even made it pretty hard for Nielson to retain his position by making it beyond him. The question is who will replace the dead wood and will they have the resolve we need to put a tough team together and stick it out till we build again.

I would like to see captain grumpy as coach with maybe Geoff Marsh on the selection panel. What ever they do it will need to be for the long term, stability and consistency are now the key's. Wonder how Ponting feels about this, he could have used some changes two years ago.

It's about time! Ever since just before the ODI world cup, the selectors haven't had a clue on what they are doing. I'm not sure who should replace them though

Already talk about Geoff Marsh who i believe will be good. I still think Border for coach as he has the hard not BS attitude we need now. As for the other selector i would never re hire Hildich he is hopeless but we need to look deeper. Someone with a stable past and solid resolve. What about Steve Waugh?

Heard a very good suggestion the other day: Ric Charlesworth. Unfortunately not available until after the 2012 Olympics, but I reckon he'd be the right man for the job.

Just for their unreasonable sacking of Simon Katich, who had the numbers up his sleeve, while keeping those who have consistently failed, this is a good call. The other is the roundabout that is our current spinner's stocks we have. No wonder no current spinner has any confidence- they get spat out after one or two tests. So those guys lose their mojo, and their replacements are under such pressure to perform otherwise they'll get the same treatment.

Its not a conducive environment, and the results show. Good riddance to the hierarchy who have not managed the loss of our superstars well at all.

The Argus report is a significant statement of an intent. I commend CA for making all of the recommendations public as it paints a really bad picture of them. If there is one recommendation that caught my attention it is the talent pool that is to be created. Love the concept and I think if implemented properly could benefit first class cricket enormously but ensuring that the talent that has been identified is given a chance to shine.

Summarised version of the report:

In the short term, the Board today approved three key recommendations:

1. The creation of a new senior CA role, General Manager Team Performance, with a singular focus on high performance and team success
2. Expanding the role of Head Coach to be a genuine head coach of Australian cricket coaching
3. Creation of a five-person selection panel with members to include a full-time national selector; two independent selectors with a significant focus on state cricket; and having the captain and Head Coach
as selectors. It suggests the National Talent Manager not to be a selector to ensure a stronger focus on national talent identification and development

Longer term, there is a list of recommendations which will need consultation throughout Australian cricket over the
coming months and which include:

* Aligning CA, State and CA Centre of Excellence high performance
* Developing a performance-based, highly-accountable, measurable incentive system for international
and national players, with features such as appropriate rewards for Test cricket
* Boosting support competitions including the Sheffield Shield, Australia A and 2nd XI state cricket
* Ensuring first-class pitches offer an appropriate balance between bat and ball

If I read between the lines and then I think Tim Nielsen is in trouble. Re-applying for your job normally means that they have lost faith in your ability. Dark horse for the Head coaching job: Mickey Arthur. Makes a ton of sense to me and the fact that if the board picks a foreigner (if it is not a big issue) he will provide an objective vision for the future.

The Argus report is a significant statement of an intent. I commend CA for making all of the recommendations public as it paints a really bad picture of them. If there is one recommendation that caught my attention it is the talent pool that is to be created. Love the concept and I think if implemented properly could benefit first class cricket enormously but ensuring that the talent that has been identified is given a chance to shine.

Summarised version of the report:

In the short term, the Board today approved three key recommendations:

1. The creation of a new senior CA role, General Manager Team Performance, with a singular focus on high performance and team success
2. Expanding the role of Head Coach to be a genuine head coach of Australian cricket coaching
3. Creation of a five-person selection panel with members to include a full-time national selector; two independent selectors with a significant focus on state cricket; and having the captain and Head Coach
as selectors. It suggests the National Talent Manager not to be a selector to ensure a stronger focus on national talent identification and development

Longer term, there is a list of recommendations which will need consultation throughout Australian cricket over the
coming months and which include:

* Aligning CA, State and CA Centre of Excellence high performance
* Developing a performance-based, highly-accountable, measurable incentive system for international
and national players, with features such as appropriate rewards for Test cricket
* Boosting support competitions including the Sheffield Shield, Australia A and 2nd XI state cricket
* Ensuring first-class pitches offer an appropriate balance between bat and ball

If I read between the lines and then I think Tim Nielsen is in trouble. Re-applying for your job normally means that they have lost faith in your ability. Dark horse for the Head coaching job: Mickey Arthur. Makes a ton of sense to me and the fact that if the board picks a foreigner (if it is not a big issue) he will provide an objective vision for the future.

Arthur's more than a dark horse Hatty, there's been quite a few articles in the local press spruiking him. ;)

It's the report that Australian cricket needed about a year or so ago, maybe even longer than that. For far too long things have just meandered along, very little changes and no tough decisions were made at all with regards to team selection and also the set-up as a whole. It's probably cost Australia a genuine chance of getting back to being in the top three test sides within the next couple of years.

But, now that the report has come out and some home truths have been said, Australian cricket can now take a few steps in the right direction and the changes they are looking to implement are very good. Nielsen won't be coach when the position is decided on again, he's basically warming the seat at the moment for someone else. Personally they need someone tough in there to sort these guys out and to get the team back on track. I don't think it will be Arthur but he has pubically said he would be interested in the role. He'd be a good coach but hasn't been in the Australian cricket scene long enough in my opinion.

I'm actually looking forward to the changes that will be made as it is time to freshen up Australian cricket and try and get back to being the dominant force for another 20 years.

@ljp mate if you could have any coach (Gary Kirsten and Andy Flower is excluded) to coach the baggy greens? if you dont mind eloborate please..

Someone Australian in my opinion, not sure who although someone from outside the country would be okay as well. They need a tough coach to make the hard calls and to develop the younger playes in the side and on the fringes. Neilsen and the current administration haven't really done that at all, the side has lost its toughness and its discipline/intimidation factor. The better sides aren't really scared of playing us anymore, particularly on our home turf which is a must if you want to be a good team.

@ljp mate if you could have any coach (Gary Kirsten and Andy Flower is excluded) to coach the baggy greens? if you dont mind eloborate please..
The move is for a much expanded role for coach with a hand in all levels of cricket. I still believe that Alan Border is the man, just now we need that hard edge he has, an unyielding attitude is what this team must learn. To many of them grew up with champions but never got how hard these guys worked to get their. The way forward is hard work and basics, bat solid not fancy, bowl with focus not wildly and field cleanly not to show off. Remember the things we learned as juniors.

Well Well the writing was on the wall i suppose but Neilson has made the right decision. There need not be any blood bath to rid our team of him. Question now how do they get, i still like Captain Grumpy.

Back