Hussey Must Be Dropped for Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbatman

Hussey Must Be Dropped for Ferguson

If Hussey is not dropped and Ferguson is not brought into the test team then this surely this spells the end for our disgraceful selection panel?

For me this decision is a no-brainer, but this is the sort of thing the selectors get wrong. It's a real nightmare!

Re: Hussey Must Be Dropped for Ferguson

One more test for Huss. (biased)

Well they have not set a great precedent with Hughes. So i guess Ferguson is selected, fails, then is dropped?

Regardless of Hughes' problems with the short stuff you cannot drop a bloke after a few bad innings but then persist with Ferguson if all of a sudden his form disappears early in the summer, I bet they persist, and Hughes is left wondering what he did wrong.

Ferguson only averages 35 at FC cricket? Is that justification for getting rid of a player like Hussey at a time in the Australian cricket's evolution where the team is relatively inexperienced?

Im not sure it is.

Ferguson has come it and done well, but often he comes in during the middle overs and its easier to accumulate runs with the field back.

Fact is he plays on a billard table at the Adelaide Oval and averages 35, which to put it mildly, is surprising.

For mine he needs to have a good season at Shield level this year to start to push his case for test inclusion.

Can't see him coming in this season to be honest, needs to have a massive shield season.

Gentleman

I am a neutral as I have no real knowledge of the First Class Stats of Australian teams but this one is a no brainer. I did in the beginning back Huss but if Australia is to move forward players like Hughes,Ferguson need playong time. They might not score lots of runs but in the long run it would aid the Australian Test Side.

Ferguson has shown to me that he is the business, has the temperament and just needs the confidence from the selectors that he WILL play in the side. South Africa stood by AB De Villiers in the beginning and he is a world class player now. If he is good enough to feature in the ODI team then he should be given a chance. JP Duminy toured with the ODI side for 3 years before Melbourne occured, but South Africa had a plan and communicated it to him. Communicate to your players what the plan is and then they will not fear that this could be the last innings they play. I have seen it in South Africa and it helps no one. It destroys talent and the results stay the same.

The fact is that Hussey is no longer consistent, has been up and down in form and maybe the time has arrived from him to move over. So pick Ferguson and give him the necesary chances and if he does not produce the goods then tell him that he needs to score x amount of Shield runs in order to be considered.

This is my one gripe with cricket, the coaching staff will hold onto an older player because he might perform but a talent young player is nearly begging for a change to play.

DizzywasRobbed;364772 said:
One more test for Huss. (biased)

Well they have not set a great precedent with Hughes. So i guess Ferguson is selected, fails, then is dropped?

Regardless of Hughes' problems with the short stuff you cannot drop a bloke after a few bad innings but then persist with Ferguson if all of a sudden his form disappears early in the summer, I bet they persist, and Hughes is left wondering what he did wrong.

Ferguson does not have a hole in his technique that you can sail an oil tanker through, unlike hughes. Hughes knows "what he did wrong", he had a major weakness exposed, which he must work on. I do think Hughes will come back and be a very good opener but that does not mean we persist with someone who could become demoralised or damaged goods (like so many Englishmen were in the recent past).

Ferguson looks sound and, at the end of the day, he doesn't have to do much to be better than Hussey has been for a very long time. As a Victorian I hate to admit that I don't think that White or D Huss are the answer at test level.

Clarke averages ************ all but he still plays?

1 more game for hussey? The selectors keep giving has beens one more game and we keep losing one more test match/series.

It's simlpe, play the best team, the best team has the best players, White is not proven yet, David Hussey is past it.

Michael Hussey is past it, he's finished, lets not do what we did with Hayden, the Waughs, Gillespie, Martyn etc and keep him in for well over his use by date. Yeah he'll probably make runs in the next tests, because I think we have weak opposition. We can't fall for false form (performing against weak opposition).

a for effort;364796 said:
This is not correct
You are correct, he hasnt even had 1 good season

Its hard to see the argument for Ferguson, just because he has become the new Michael Bevan in the ODI side racking up not outs and boosting the average the guy with a very average first class record, yet to even have 1 stand out year and his best year was worse than Whites career average

Cameron on the other hand had a superb year last year when he played, has some test experience and has just clicked in the ODI arena when given some chances up the order

Ferguson doesnt stack up against White in any way

Both White and David Hussey's international careers have been the height of mediocrity, while Ferguson has made the absolute most of his limited opportunities.

White proved in India that he does not have what it takes to make it as a test bowler (5 wickets at 70 on Indian dustbowls) or batsman (146 runs at 30, 0 50's). Even Andrew 'I'm not really that good at anything' McDonald has better stats than this spud. Before this series, Cameron White had a top score of 42 at an average of under 24. How on earth could you possibly argue that this warrants selection over a guy who, before this series, had an average of 47, with 3 50's, in less innings?

Maybe we should include the stats for this series, as it has been the only time when White hasn't looked completely and utterly out of his depth in international cricket. White now has an average of 28, with 1 50 and 1 100, while Ferguson has an average of 60 (This is more than double White's average for those of you playing at home) with 5 50's.

As for first class matches, White has an average 7 runs higher than Ferguson, with more than double the innings played. Ferguson was indeed a slow starter (the only valid point you have raised), but only a fool would think that by the time Ferguson has played the same number of matches as White, that his average will still be lower than White's.

As for Hussey, his ODI stats are just as ordinary as White's (his average is also less than half of Fergusons), and, while he does indeed have an impressive first-class record, he's 32, which is too old to be making a debut in a rebuilding team, and its not as though his current ODI record has established himself as a worthy international cricketer. David Hussey will never play a test match for Australia.

Please direct me as to how any reasonable thinking person could possibly construe these stats in a way that suggests Cameron White or David Hussey are anywhere near as deserving, or likely to receive, a spot in the test team over Callum Ferguson.

Because right now Cameron White is a better first class batsman, yeah Fergusons stats may be better by the time he reaches Whites current level, then he can play test cricket, but his first class stats show he just isnt ready yet whilst White is just getting better and better and now is the time. Last season White missed more than half the season due to playing for his country, averaged 58 when he got the chance with 2 50's and 2 centuries from just 5 games, in comparison Ferguson couldnt even do better than Whites career average of 42

As for his Indian series, he got better as it went on, but batting at no8 in a team that plays like shit does not give a player a chance to make many runs yet he still averaged 30 batting at no8

Agree with the above to an extent. I mean Ferguson is on the way up and will no doubt push his way into the Australian Cricket Test team in the future, but he is no where near the standard of those suggested (Clarke, Hussey and to a lesser extent White), at this point in time.

White is another one who is no where near the level of Clarke and Hussey. White is the most up and down player. He plays County Cricket over in England and FC here is Aus and has a good season with the bat and a shit season with the ball or vice versa.

The sad thing is ATM, White could be picked in the Aus test side as our spinner...I know aye scary thing...

Some of the bias here is ridiculous.

Ferguson should get a crack before White and D.Hussey, simply because he has put in a stronger claim.

Ferguson has done well in the OD arena, and deserves a crack at test level soon. If after 3-5 matches he hasn't done much, he should be retained in the OD side, and dropped back to first class level for the longer version of the game, told clearly what he needs to do to get back into the side, and then let it play out.

Yet Cameron White had those 4 matches, went back to First class cricket and has seemed to improve those problems and therefore he should be next

Cameron White failed miserably, and went back to perform reasonably-yet-not-exceptionally-well at a lower standard, so he should be given another shot in front of a guy who has received no such opportunity to fail, but has drastically outperformed him in the other forms of international cricket since his debut?

White must be picked on batting alone, he can not bowl, he never could bowl. Hussey is not as good as ferguson at this present time, he's washed up and I'd probably play White ahead of him.

89826727.gif
89826727.gif
89826727.gif
89826727.gif

breeno;365031 said:
Some of the bias here is ridiculous.

Ferguson should get a crack before White and D.Hussey, simply because he has put in a stronger claim.

Ferguson has done well in the OD arena, and deserves a crack at test level soon. If after 3-5 matches he hasn't done much, he should be retained in the OD side, and dropped back to first class level for the longer version of the game, told clearly what he needs to do to get back into the side, and then let it play out.

Ferguson is only averaging 35 odd in his 50 odd match FC Career. Hardly anything to write home about. Whether he is standing up in the OD scene has nothing to do with it. Test is nothing like OD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back