Icc World Cup 2011

The group structure doesn't bother me it's having quarter finals like 1996.

IMO it really should be something like the top team goes straight through to the semi and 2 and 3 just play off for the other semi spot making the group stage more competitive and meaningful, but we all know with the ICC it's all about $$$, they wouldn't want 2 less 'big' games.

It could be worse, we could have another Super Eights stage where everyone plays each other once over a period of three weeks and extend the tournament unneccessarily.

It would seem that at the next world cup the minnow sides will be out and transfered to an extended T20 world cup. I know i am probably out of step but this seems a poor move for cricket. T20 maybe marketable but hold few of the skills that will help strengthen the minnow sides. How we expect them to improve when we don't seem to care only count the dollars is hard to see. T20 could be a tool used in these minnow countries to increase the profile and popularity of the game making it easier to attract better players and money into their associations but this would be best served by basing a francise team in these countries and paying players from the top countries to play there.

Punter said in the post-match interview that it was a plan to keep wickets in hand and that will be their approach. We won't win matches against the big boys if they plan to poke around for the first 30 overs, but considering the penchant for collapses maybe it's for the best.

Good to see the Netherlands going well against England at 3 for 148, hopefully they can keep it going and get a very competitive score.

Score of 292 for the Netherlands with a century to ten Doeschate. Very good effort from an associate although England did their bit to help with a few absolute doozies in the field..

England get home with 8 balls to spare but questions will still be asked about that performance. It's a shame for the Netherlands that Dirk Nannes can't play for them any more, a genuine strike bowling option would really help them.

good win for the Aussies, the bowlers did well it will be interesting to see how we go as the going gets tougher.

Great run chase by the Poms but really they should have won it. Their middle/lower order looks fragile and Collingwood looks gone. He bowls pies on the Indian roads and his batting is very ordinary.The Indians looked old and slow in the field against the Poms and Dhoni's field placements were strange to say the least. India has a formidable batting line up but they are certainly vulnerable in the field.Keep an eye on Pakistan as they could be the surprise packet of the tournament assuming there are no side wagers being made.

Pretty boring world cup results wise except for the India/England tie. Minnows have been well and truly thrashed on just about every occasion with the groups stages showing the massive gulf between the test and associate nations.

Pretty boring world cup results wise except for the India/England tie. Minnows have been well and truly thrashed on just about every occasion with the groups stages showing the massive gulf between the test and associate nations.

Don't agree, they are minnows and we should not expect too much, the point is for them to learn and develop. I still don't think that T20 is the place for that. Great win by Ireland over the Pom's and Holland should have beaten them to, some teams with a bit more work could step up in a few years, if they have no incentive like a world cup to work toward why bother trying.
India look plain and it shows with Dhoni geting all touchy because a decision went against him. Now the BCCI are showing their immaturity and complaining to the ICC because they dared comment. Sounds all a bit stressed for the under performing India.

Possibly a better way to go is split the top 16 into two divisions for normal home and away one day competition and get some minnow teams playing all the time. Won't suit countries like England as they would be second division at the moment.

I'm with Nairbe on this, this is the platform within which the can see what they need to be doing and it's a goal they can strive for. As for England being a 2nd division side, you've gotta be an Aussie to be making comments like that!

Don't agree, they are minnows and we should not expect too much, the point is for them to learn and develop. I still don't think that T20 is the place for that. Great win by Ireland over the Pom's and Holland should have beaten them to, some teams with a bit more work could step up in a few years, if they have no incentive like a world cup to work toward why bother trying.
India look plain and it shows with Dhoni geting all touchy because a decision went against him. Now the BCCI are showing their immaturity and complaining to the ICC because they dared comment. Sounds all a bit stressed for the under performing India.

Possibly a better way to go is split the top 16 into two divisions for normal home and away one day competition and get some minnow teams playing all the time. Won't suit countries like England as they would be second division at the moment.

I expected better from Bangladesh and Kenya, Ireland have been impressive and the Netherlands have played very well at times.

From what I've seen Ireland are the best of the associate teams by a fair way, they should have beaten Bangladesh and have just beaten England in one of the biggest boilovers of all time. Playing county cricket has definitely helped them develop to the point where some players are in the first XI at certain clubs.

Divisions is something I don't agree with although I do agree that there should be minnows at major cricketing tournaments such as the World Cup and not just T20. The problem with divisions is that two test nations will be in div 2 (Bangladesh and Zimbabwe) and they would likely argue that they should be a in top tier as they are test-playing countries. Personally I'd have the tournament as four groups of four with a finals series to follow.

Another point of interest is that Zimbabwe will regain test status after the World Cup and will be playing one-off tests against the lower-ranked test sides (West Indies, Pakistan and Bangladesh) later in the year. Whilst Zimbabwe will likely be uncompetitive, it's a step in the right direction for their cricketers who now have another goal to aspire to. Some former players are also in coaching roles with further strengthens the cricketing regime they are trying to rebuild.

I'm with Nairbe on this, this is the platform within which the can see what they need to be doing and it's a goal they can strive for. As for England being a 2nd division side, you've gotta be an Aussie to be making comments like that!

I think his argument has merit considering you lost to Ireland.
biggrin.png

Pakistan bowled out by Canada for 183, they're 1/16 after 4 in reply.

Case of the BigCricket curse I reckon, rubbish all the minnows now one of them win and another has a big chance at winning.

Wow, just turned on the TV and Bangladesh are 5 for 47 playing at home against the WI.. Looks like Zimbabwe are also copping a real pasting from NZ. Some of games so far in this WC having been pretty painful..

A 6th down now for only 4 more runs, some of looks on the faces in the crowd are pretty funny.

Geez 8 for 56 now, this is just plain embarrassing. Also looks like NZ aren't even going to lose a single wicket in their run chase.

edit - bowled out for 58 of only 18 overs, unbelievable.

Back