6 jacob oram
7 scott styris
8 shane warne
9 zaheer khan
10 nathen bracken
11 lasith malinga

Re: IPL Player Auctions

thats a good question

based on ability, budget constraints and the ruling that more than 2 australians cant be in the same team id buy
gilchrist
gayle
hayden
sangakkara
mccullum
pollock
gul
asif
dale steyn.

No team was very smart in their bidding. Going for players like Yusuf Pathan, Cameron White and David Hussey would be the key as they would be more valuable batsmen than someone like Stephen Fleming or Jacques Kallis, despite the latter being more high profile.

As for the bowling, it was slightly naive to assume that Ishant Sharma ($950,000) would be a fine T20 bowler and the smart money would have been with those who you know are good T20 bowlers: RP Singh; Umar Gul; Shahid Afridi; Glenn Mcgrath; Harbhajan Singh.

deer thats 9 players. I didn't know about the Australian rule I'll adjust my team.

OK i'll dump hayden for Afridi.

1 Cameron White
2 Shahid Afridi
3 Kumar Sangakkara
4 Mahela Jayawardene
5 Ramnaresh Sarwan
6 Jacob Oram
7 Scott Styris
8 Shane Warne
9 Zaheer Khan
10 Nathan Bracken
11 Lasith Malinga

i ran out of money lol but seeing that most franchises spent almost 6 million id buy malinga and styris.

i read a few days ago about cricket australia not wanting any non australian team to have more than 2 australian players. the ipl said they were fine with it so it didnt cause any trouble.

manee said:
No team was very smart in their bidding. Going for players like Yusuf Pathan, Cameron White and David Hussey would be the key as they would be more valuable batsmen than someone like Stephen Fleming or Jacques Kallis, despite the latter being more high profile.

As for the bowling, it was slightly naive to assume that Ishant Sharma ($950,000) would be a fine T20 bowler and the smart money would have been with those who you know are good T20 bowlers: RP Singh; Umar Gul; Shahid Afridi; Glenn Mcgrath; Harbhajan Singh.
It was quite surprising to see a quality bowler like Gul being sold for $150,000 while the unproven Ishant Sharma fetched $950,000. Well Kolkata have both of them in their team so it doesn't really make much difference as far as the overall spending goes.

wrongun said:
So If we had $5 million each given the market values at the auction who would we buy.

I'd pick

Adam Gilchrist
Graeme Smith
Mahela Jayawardene
Younis Khan
Rohit Sharma
Jacob Oram
Shaun Pollock
Tatenda Taibu
Nathan Bracken
Umar Gul
Muttiah Muralitharan

AB, you have a top team, but you seem to be a bowler short considering Jacob Oram's stupendously poor T20 bowling record.

I wasn't aware of that. I'd replace him with Albie Morkel in that case.

It'll start on 18th April. Bangalore and Kolkata will compete in the inaugural match.

It seems that there may be one or two niggles in the Aussie team due to the IPL? Ponting not happy about his low price.

He says he thought he would've got more but seems very diplomatic about it saying they'll have some banter in the dressing room and get Symonds to foot the bill the next time they go out.

The teams bid aggressively for Symonds because he made it public that he didn't want to tour Pakistan regardless of Cricket Australia's decision, but it seems that he will be breaching the contract if he does that. If the tour goes ahead Hyderabad may regret their decision to buy Symonds as they'll still have to pay $337,500 for him.

ShaneS said:
He says he thought he would've got more but seems very diplomatic about it saying they'll have some banter in the dressing room and get Symonds to foot the bill the next time they go out.

I think that's the way he want it to come out but you have to remember that a lot of these guys are fiercely competitive and it must niggle some of them. I don't expect it to have a big effect but you never know - stranger things have happened.

Is this on tv does anyone know?.I heard Sony bought the rights, which channels are owned by Sony?

Sony owns a lot of Indian channels, don't know if they have any in UK. I guess someone else might have bought the rights for UK.

Sony Entertainment TV Asia airs in England and Sony are also known to sometimes sell their rights to Sky Sports (IIRC).

Back