Is Kallis the best allrounder ever

Who is the best and most genuine all rounder ever

• Total voters
Re: Is Kallis the best allrounder ever

I am going to say Kallis as he will finish up with 10000 runs in both forms of the game and 250 wickets in both forms.

the_socialite;313401 said:
Don't know how it is humanly possible to go past Sobers.

Sobers was a better batsman then Kallis. But Kallis is a much better bowler.

the_socialite;313418 said:
Wouldn't say that, similar type medium pacers, plus there was Sobers' spinners

They have picked up a similar ammount of wickets but Kallis' average is better.

A great question.

Very hard to compare players from different eras but we cant help ourselves and do it anyway.

Sobers was fantastic yet Kallis is a magnificent batsmen who bowls so very well. A wonderful player, certainly the best AR I have seen live.

I have asked a few of my older cricket loving relatives and they say that Sobers was a match winner with both bat and ball, whilst Kallis wins more games with the bat then he does with the ball.

So I have swung to Sobers, but only just. However Kallis is a legend and will retire as one of the greats.

the_socialite;313401 said:
Don't know how it is humanly possible to go past Sobers.

Mate Jacques Kallis is probably the greatest player the game has ever seen. None of this Sobers BS.

Biggie;313530 said:
Dig up Sir Garfield Sobers stats.

I recommend it.

I recommend that you start watching Jacques Kallis play. The only reason he goes out is to give the other guys in the team a turn cos he is that much of a good bloke.

You assuming I don't watch Kallis play.

Your first mistake.

The guy is magnificent, a great player who has dispatched attacks all over the park and bowled so tight when his country has needed him. Has what some call the magic arm, breaks opposing teams partnerships up when required.

Secondly no one gets out on purpose, unless they are fixing the game. To say he gets out "to give the other guys in the team a turn" is a tad unrealistic and completely fabricated to suit your Kallis argument.

I was being reasonable and do recommend you look up Sobers stats.

Test Runs 8032 HS 365* AVG 57.78

Test Wickets 235 AVG 34.03
A cricketing genius, Garry Sobers excelled at all aspects of the game, and few would argue his claim as the finest allround player in modern cricket. His exceptional Test batting average tells little about the manner in which he made the runs, his elegant yet powerful style marked by all the shots, but memorably his off-side play. As a batsman he was great, as a bowler, merely superb, but would have made the West Indies side as a bowler alone

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Sir Garry Sobers

That is where it will be left. @|

water_boy;313535 said:
I recommend that you start watching Jacques Kallis play. The only reason he goes out is to give the other guys in the team a turn cos he is that much of a good bloke.

Ha ha, you're having a laugh. The guy is one of the most self centred & selfish players ever to step onto a cricket pitch. It's all about Kallis and no one else. That is not necessarily a bad thing but who knows. Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your post?

Kallis is a good player but he just doesn't have the all round ability that Sobers had. True, Kallis may have the better bowling average but you have to remember that Sobers continued to bowl even when 'past it' because the team required it of him.

If he had been able to lessen his workload during his later years then I'm sure his average would have been close to if not better than Kallis. Anyway, we are talking a 2 or so runs per wicket so it's not a massive difference.

Sobers was also a better all round player, in terms of where he could bat, what he could bowl and he was also a tremendous fielder, up there with the best. He offered the teams he played for a versatility which very few others have been able to.

They are both greats but Sobers edges it for me.

Can't stand Kallis due to his batting style, along with Dravid possibly the most dullest bastman to watch at international level.

Don't mind his bowling though.

Sobers, nuff said.

Kallis is definately the best in the world at the moment, and the best in a while, but Sobers easily takes the cream.

water_boy;313522 said:
Mate Jacques Kallis is probably the greatest player the game has ever seen. None of this Sobers BS.

Haha :D funny post but Sobers was talented mate.

Back