Is Kallis the best allrounder ever

Who is the best and most genuine all rounder ever

• Total voters
Re: Is Kallis the best allrounder ever

Everybody has just narrowed this down to Sobers and Kallis.
Yes they are probaly the best too but Khan, Dev and Botham weren't too bad either.
You could also nearly add Hadlee into that line up.
These 4 were all bowling all rounders compared to Kallis and Sobers who are batting all rounders.
Kallis and Sobers were a lot more consistant but Hadlee, Botham, Khan and Dev could all win games off their own backs.

One who gets totally overlooked is Shaun Pollock. 108 tests, 3781 runs @ 32.31 and 421 wickets @ 23.11.

Sure, it could be said that he underperformed with the bat but you name one test nation that would have turned him down?

Shaun Pollock was one of my favourite ever cricketers and is consistently neglected in discussions about all-rounders. In terms of team contributions and the ability to win a game with their best skill, and contribute meaningfully with the second, I rate Pollock ahead of Kallis. But hey, from all i've read and the footage i've seen, Sobers and Miller were simply the best. Forget statistics, these teams were built around those blokes. Hadlee and Khan make very, very strong cases as well though.

Pollock was a very good all rounder and I would rate him very high if his batting average was 10 runs higher.

I think Kallis and Sobers were both more genuine all rounders than Pollock though who was definitlety a bowling all rounder.

Another one everyone is forgeeting is Kapil Dev:
5248 runs @ 31.05
434 wickets @ 29.34

Kapil Dev didn't average enough with the bat.

Neither did Pollock.

Scott Muller made these guys look like Z-Grade cricketers

The criteria for an all-rounder has always been that they average more with the bat than the ball. Whether they're seen as batting or bowling all-rounders is often down to individual opinion.

Sobers by a country mile, followed by Imran, who could have been picked outright for his batting or bowling, and Botham, who was a matchwinner batting, bowling and in the field.

Never saw Keith Miller play, but his reputation is well known in the cricket world.

has to be sobers easily, kallis is good but the amount of cricket played now probablly makes him look slightly better than some past players, though no doubt he is a great in his own right

Grapedo, Sobers was a fast-medium bowler as well as spinner. He was capable of opening the bowling as well as bowling spin. That's where your "there was a better spinner in the side" argument falls to the ground in flames.

Also, Kallis might have a fantastic average, but he is a very one-paced player. He bats at the pace that suits him, not the team. Don't get me wrong, he is still awesome, but he really lacks versatility in that area, something which by all reports Sobers had in abundance.

I am struggling to comprehend how this list was thought up?
Anyone who doubts Sobers being the best all round of all time has got to be taking the piss.

fmr_13;322749 said:
I am struggling to comprehend how this list was thought up?
Anyone who doubts Sobers being the best all round of all time has got to be taking the piss.

Exactly.

Back