Keep On Carrying On.

I have not seen much of Babs since the Carry On days. She appeared in UK soaps I hear. I do recall seeing her in a coupla One Foot In Grave episodes. She played a greengrocer, wore a garish red wig and attempted to race off Victor.:oops:
She was in Brit soap EastEnders, she played Peggy Mitchell, the mother of Phil, Grant and their sister Sam, I don't watch soaps and would prefer her as Babs in the Carry On films. It's quite big news here, she was a gem ❤️

1607812466685.png
Dame Barbara Windsor, who has died at the age of 83, became Britain's favorite pin-up, the bubbly blonde who packed a lot of personality into her 4ft 10in frame.

Barbara Ann Deeks was born in Shoreditch, east London, on 6 August 1937, the daughter of a fruit and veg street seller and a dressmaker.

Barbara attended the Aida Foster Acting School in Golders Green making her stage debut at the age of 13. She had changed her name to Windsor when she appeared in her first film in 1954, as one of the schoolgirls in The Belles of St Trinian's.
Her big break came when she joined Joan Littlewood's company at the Theatre Royal in Stratford, east London gaining her a Bafta nomination along the way..

There were also early roles in TV sitcoms including the BBC's The Rag Trade, which ran for two years from 1961.
In 1964 she was cast in Carry On Spying, the ninth film in the successful comedy franchise and the last to be shot in black and white.
Her saucy laugh and flirtatious behaviour were perfect for the seaside postcard innuendo on which the success of the films was based and she was to appear in many more of the Carry Ons: Doctor, Camping, Doctor Again, Henry, Matron, Abroad, Girls and Dick. She had found her acting niche.

After the Carry On era there was a career downtown for her but that all changed when in 1994 Barbara was cast as the brassy landlady Peggy Mitchell in the BBC soap EastEnders.

Last edited:
Hello Mal. How's things with you? 🤗
Good thanks... buying all my Christmas pressies within the next couple of days for the family, don't want to get them at the last minute as everyone is always rushing around at this time of year.
How are things going with you Jessica ? bet you're really looking forward to having some time off work over Christmas.

Good thanks... buying all my Christmas pressies within the next couple of days for the family, don't want to get them at the last minute as everyone is always rushing around at this time of year.
How are things going with you Jessica ? bet you're really looking forward to having some time off work over Christmas.
I'm good thanks 👍
I've just about finished my Christmas shopping, good job I put in lots of overtime to pay for it all! I can't wait for time off, I'll be off for the whole week 🤗

View attachment 1028
Dame Barbara Windsor, who has died at the age of 83, became the nation's favourite pin-up, the bubbly blonde who packed a lot of personality into her 4ft 10in frame.

Barbara Ann Deeks was born in Shoreditch, east London, on 6 August 1937, the daughter of a fruit and veg street seller and a dressmaker.

Barbara attended the Aida Foster Acting School in Golders Green making her stage debut at the age of 13. She had changed her name to Windsor when she appeared in her first film in 1954, as one of the schoolgirls in The Belles of St Trinian's.
Her big break came when she joined Joan Littlewood's company at the Theatre Royal in Stratford, east London gaining her a Bafta nomination along the way..

There were also early roles in TV sitcoms including the BBC's The Rag Trade, which ran for two years from 1961.
In 1964 she was cast in Carry On Spying, the ninth film in the successful comedy franchise and the last to be shot in black and white.
Her saucy laugh and flirtatious behaviour were perfect for the seaside postcard innuendo on which the success of the films was based and she was to appear in many more of the Carry Ons: Doctor, Camping, Doctor Again, Henry, Matron, Abroad, Girls and Dick. She had found her acting niche.

After the Carry On era there was a career downtown for her but that all changed when in 1994 Barbara was cast as the brassy landlady Peggy Mitchell in the BBC soap EastEnders.
Lovely obituary Richie 🙂
She was a national treasure. Can't believe how tiny she was, she certainly had a big personality and was loved by millions. Rest in peace Babs, gone but not forgotten, certainly not forgotten in our Carry On thread❤

I have some Carry On trivia.....🤗

In Carry On Cruising, Charles Hawtrey was initially planned to play the ships chef, but he wanted to be top of the bill, the producers disagreed with him and didn't cast him at all, Lance Percival was cast instead as the ships chef.

I have some Carry On trivia.....🤗

In Carry On Cruising, Charles Hawtrey was initially planned to play the ships chef, but he wanted to be top of the bill, the producers disagreed with him and didn't cast him at all, Lance Percival was cast instead as the ships chef.
Charlie was never top of the bill material. But he did fit into his little groove among the ensemble cast playing the misfit type character. Often a drunk one. He did not have to act being drunk as often he was and even on set.

Charlie was never top of the bill material. But he did fit into his little groove among the ensemble cast playing the misfit type character. Often a drunk one. He did not have to act being drunk as often he was and even on set.
Correct, especially in Abroad, he was cast as a drinker and sadly played the part well. I still liked him though, he was different but fun 🙂

Correct, especially in Abroad, he was cast as a drinker and sadly played the part well. I still liked him though, he was different but fun 🙂
A raging poof tho Charlie as opposed to Kenneth Williams who was more a closet one. Never really accepted his homosexuality.

A raging poof tho Charlie as opposed to Kenneth Williams who was more a closet one. Never really accepted his homosexuality.
I either read or saw it in a documentary, that Jim Dale claimed while doing a scene with Kenneth Williams he had to tick him off because Ken kept pressing himself against him, making Jim feel very uncomfortable.

Carry On Quiz:

Which actor has made the most Carry On film appearances?

Which National Park stood in for the Khyber Pass in Carry On Up the Khyber?
Who played Cleopatra in Carry On Cleo?
  • Which film is set in the fictional seaside town of Fircombe and features a press photographer played by Robin Askwith?
  • I either read or saw it in a documentary, that Jim Dale claimed while doing a scene with Kenneth Williams he had to tick him off because Ken kept pressing himself against him, making Jim feel very uncomfortable.
    Really. I also read that Kenneth was also the but (excuse pun) of many homosexual comments by Sid James. And that Williams resented them. Jim Dale's comment tho does imply that Kenneth maybe was a little more than just in the closet.

Carry On Quiz:

Which actor has made the most Carry On film appearances?
Sid James 🙂~~ sorry Jessica- Kenneth Williams

Which National Park stood in for the Khyber Pass in Carry On Up the Khyber?~~ I say Snowdon, Wales
Who played Cleopatra in Carry On Cleo? Amanda Barrie 🤗~~ripper
I remember reading about this location in Khyber but can't remember the exact place 🤔
  • Which film is set in the fictional seaside town of Fircombe and features a press photographer played by Robin Askwith?
  • Carry On Girls 🤗~~ ripper

• Really. I also read that Kenneth was also the but (excuse pun) of many homosexual comments by Sid James. And that Williams resented them. Jim Dale's comment tho does imply that Kenneth maybe was a little more than just in the closet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can well believe that Sid James made homosexual comments.
The actress Rosalind Knight recently died, she was in Carry On Teacher and Nurse, she was also in Brit sitcoms, another talented actress gone but not forgotten.🙂

Back