Late Swing

Re: Late Swing

Yeah, but I mean I was bowling outswing on friday in the nets and did the same come saturday but it went the other way. Odd.

Yeah, I thought it might've been but it did have an obvious shiny side (that I positioned for outswing). Ah well, any swing is good swing :p

no i actually mean if i get it to bounce short enough and keep the seam str8 i can get it 2 swing late on the batsmen .... i'll try nd get a video of me doing it on a proper wikcet

I've seen it happen where basically, the ball pitches and comes out of the bounce with the seam straight - then it contrast swings after pitching. I'd imagine it's very difficult to bowl it intentionally! How does it work for you Phil?

accidently to be honest.... i just run in 2 bwl a ball with the seam str8 with shiny side intending to bowl inswing , bowl a bouncer that hits the seam but as i push tha ball with by action the seam must cheange direction, it then goes str8 dwn then probaly at 85% off the way dwn starts to swing... i tried tonight at nets but the conditions neeed to be PERFECT for swing bowling

I bowl at about 70-80 mph and get the bowl swing very late. I tend to keep my hand horizontal and modify my action to make it mopre slingy, that really works for me.

I heard somewhere on the tv that fast bowlers were told to with. A more side on action which made the bowl swing later but I not 100% sure if it actually is true

There's no great mystery to swing bowling. If you release the seam in the correct position and the ball isn't too scuffed up, then it will swing. If you don't, then it won't.

To get late swing, you need the seam to be angled in such a way that the maximum sideways force occurs as the ball moves vertically downwards in the last quarter of its journey. Its possible for a skilled bowler to deliberately get the ball to swing early, swing late or swing the whole way simply by adjusting the angle of the seam.

A slingy action will often make the ball swerve sideways - this is different to swing. This is what malinga does and is equivalent to a tailing fastball in baseball.

Contrast or orthodox swing is often seen after bouncing if the seam stays upright - just look at how much the ball can move after passing the batsman in this country.

Back