Likelihood Zimbabwe loses Test or ODI statis?

Re: Likelihood Zimbabwe loses Test or ODI statis?

breeno;299744 said:
MC I was reading that in the 90's Zimbabwe with the Flowers and such were on the up, do you know if this is true or not?

From what I've seen/heard they certainly seemed like a respectable side.

Yes Zimbabwe used to be a very strong side with the likes of the Flowers and Heath Streak, we were a very respectable side. I hope Zimbabwe get to play both Test and ODI's.

zimbando;304366 said:
Yes Zimbabwe used to be a very strong side with the likes of the Flowers and Heath Streak, we were a very respectable side. I hope Zimbabwe get to play both Test and ODI's.

Hopefully they do.

I think they are improving again though after the odi series against Sri Lanka which Sri Lanka won 3-0 Zimbabwe could have easily won by the same margin if things went there way.

If they somehow picked Andy and Grant Flower, Murray Goodwin, Heath Streak, Andy Blignaught, Sean Ervine and some of those other guys again then they would be better then the West Indies, New Zealand and possibly Pakistan in test cricket.

Yeah , but all those players are finished. The current generation of players is not of a calibre to play test cricket.

To move Zimbabwean cricket as a whole forward, they need to find a player/s which they can market similar to what Symonds is for Australian cricket at the moment. Although , he isn't in the side currently and is in poor form, people will still come and see him hoping for a big performance, or an amazing catch. I think many of you would have seen kids running around in local parks wanting to be the next Symonds, Ponting and Clarke but Zimbabwe lacks this.

I believe that they should lose their status, but the problem is nobody else warrants a status.

The comments about Bangladesh earlier were quite harsh, looking at their recent performances they haven't been that far away.. but on paper it looks that way.

The only player I've actually heard a bit about in Zimbabwe is Tatenda Taibu.

Stat: Wicket-keeper batsman
24 Tests: Average of 30, high score of 153, 1 century and 9 half centuries. 48 Catches and 4 stumpings.
105 ODIs: Average of 27, high score of 107 not out, 1 century and 10 half centuries. 92 catches and 13 stumpings.

Also in first class he has best BOWLING figures of 8/52 with his off-spinners even though he is a keeper.

zimbando;304366 said:

'Very strong' side might be a bit much but they were at least competitive in those days. Hopefully they can at least get back to that one day. Streak was a very good player in particular.

Kram81;312315 said:
'Very strong' side might be a bit much but they were at least competitive in those days. Hopefully they can at least get back to that one day. Streak was a very good player in particular.

What about Andy Flower? With a test average over 50 he was rated one of the best keeper-batsmen ever!

Yeah A.Flower was a gun and Grant was decent. Does anyone remember the bloke that invented the paddle flick shot? I think his name was Mariller? Will never forget sitting at the WACA with my mates at Aus v Zim and we were WTF when he hit McGrath for boundaries with it.

Ryan Campbell must have also been watching as he adopted it soon after.

Dylza94;312204 said:
The only player I've actually heard a bit about in Zimbabwe is Tatenda Taibu.

Stat: Wicket-keeper batsman
24 Tests: Average of 30, high score of 153, 1 century and 9 half centuries. 48 Catches and 4 stumpings.
105 ODIs: Average of 27, high score of 107 not out, 1 century and 10 half centuries. 92 catches and 13 stumpings.

Also in first class he has best BOWLING figures of 8/52 with his off-spinners even though he is a keeper.

Yeah, he is probably their best at the moment. The 90's looked promising for Zimbabwe, but now they're really struggling.

Back