Mickey Arthur Sacked!

Darren Lehman would probably do well but interesting timing right on the eve of the Ashes. The team hasn't been setting the world on fire but apart from the shellacking over in India they haven't been doing that bad either.

Didn't see it coming, but I can see it doing a world of good for the Aussies. Assuming Lehmann gets appointed, we'll see some effects during the upcoming Ashes. I still don't think they'll win it, but I can foresee there being an uplift in discipline, spirits and energy, and maybe even unity.

Record as coach, won 10 of 19 Tests.

NZ home 1-1
India home 4-0
West Indies away 2-0
South Africa home 0-1
Sri Lanka away 3-0
India away 0-4

Darren Lehman would probably do well but interesting timing right on the eve of the Ashes. The team hasn't been setting the world on fire but apart from the shellacking over in India they haven't been doing that bad either.

It is more that the tour of India showed just how fractured the team atmosphere was and it has continued with poor performance in the Champions trophy as well as the behaviour of players since India. Interestingly Clarke is no longer to be a selector either. This will be a very important move, Lehman can start building a much better culture around this.

I believe Mickey Arthur's job has been in danger for sometime. This was really highlighted by Australia's disappointing performance in India. Arthur dropping players over the whole homework saga did nothing to help his cause. The final straw must have been the Champions Trophy which was a poor tournament for Australia. Arthur had his own way of doing things and I don't think the players or most of the genera public understood his reasons for them. Sacking a coach when the Ashes are fast approaching is not an ideal move but at least we might see a lift in Australia's performance.

Darren Lehmann sounds like the best person to coach Australia so I hope he is appointed coach. It will be interesting to see the changes he makes to the Australian team.

A press conference will held shortly at 9.00 PM AEST, regarding the sacking of Mickey Arthur.

Record as coach, won 10 of 19 Tests.

NZ home 1-1
India home 4-0
West Indies away 2-0
South Africa home 0-1
Sri Lanka away 3-0
India away 0-4

I would have thought that was a pretty decent effort? Apparently England have only won 7 out of their last 19 if the comment I was reading was correct.

Well, I have never been so embarrassed to be an Australian cricket supporter. Almost ashamed.

Having watched both press conferences I know who came out looking more credible, and it wasn't that bumbling ******** who calls himself the boss of Australian Cricket, or the muppet alongside him. Between the pair of them they couldn't answer one question properly. I was most interested in the one asked towards the end by a female journo I think who wondered whether they had bothered to question their own positions in light of the selection they made to appoint Mickey Arthur amongst other decisions they have made.

What a schemozzle, and rather than commiserating over another loss in a final, the English cricket world could not be having more fun than this. All handed to them on a platter by an incompetent administration and a few unworthy prima donna players.

I would have thought that was a pretty decent effort? Apparently England have only won 7 out of their last 19 if the comment I was reading was correct.
Well I guess there must be some pretty serious internal conflict going on as well.

Haven't seen seen the presser yet, might have to flick over to FoxSportsNews..

Well the overnight press conferences were not very comfortable and Aus cricket is looking poorly for the whole mess but in the end something had to happen. The only thing worse than the current situation would have been to do nothing at all and watched as the team were destroyed on the field and ate each other off it. We can only hope for the England part of this ashes stupidity of 10 tests will be a building time for a successful summer at home. And yes i have not missed the clear confusion as to whether Clarke resigned or was stood down. The press conference made that no clearer, simply it is better for Aus cricket that he is no longer a selector. This is bound to help his on field game.

I think the the captain should obviously be consulted and have some input but definitely shouldn't have a vote as an actual selector.

But do you guys really believe Lehman can make a difference in the very short time he has before the Ashes?

It normally takes a long time to build a winning team in any sport so I'm not sure appointing Lehman now will have any affect on their Ashes performance at all. Whether he'll be good for the team in the long run is obviously yet to be determined as well.

What I don't understand is. Why are cricket boards or cricket fans from Australia, New Zealand and maybe South Africa racist? What I mean is...why do fans and some of the board members believe that coaches from other countries can't coach their nations? I think its rubbish personally. A good coach is a good coach in my mind. Doesn't matter where he's from or who's he's coaching.

If I was Darren Lehman. I wouldn't want the job now. I'd want it after the Ashes. Because if Australia is destroyed by England then many "silly" fans will say he was the wrong choice. I personally think...his appointment will make a minute difference to the side in the Ashes (positively or negatively).

Yeah I dunno, I think pretty much 90% of Australians expect us to get flogged anyway so he probably hasn't got much to lose really.

If I was Darren Lehman. I wouldn't want the job now. I'd want it after the Ashes. Because if Australia is destroyed by England then many "silly" fans will say he was the wrong choice. I personally think...his appointment will make a minute difference to the side in the Ashes (positively or negatively).

The point is that the decision had to be taken and that the building faze has to start if you are to get there. Lehman is apparently a good coach in so much as he has player respect and is able to maintain a good spirit amongst the teams he has coached and also got results. Border was not the most successful captain nor the most imaginative but he held the team together and built something lasting. It was the ability as a people person despite being captain grumpy that was an important key, it built the team moral and set standards. I don't think anyone would suggest the goings on of the last few months show any of those qualities.

Lehman has come out and said that Watson will definitely open, guess it was alway going to happen with Warner out.

Lehman has come out and said that Watson will definitely open, guess it was alway going to happen with Warner out.

The decision to move Watson to the top of the order has paid off so far with Watson making 90 against Somerset and 109 against Worcester. Hopefully Watson carries this form through to the Ashes.

But do you guys really believe Lehman can make a difference in the very short time he has before the Ashes?

It normally takes a long time to build a winning team in any sport so I'm not sure appointing Lehman now will have any affect on their Ashes performance at all. Whether he'll be good for the team in the long run is obviously yet to be determined as well.

What I don't understand is. Why are cricket boards or cricket fans from Australia, New Zealand and maybe South Africa racist? What I mean is...why do fans and some of the board members believe that coaches from other countries can't coach their nations? I think its rubbish personally. A good coach is a good coach in my mind. Doesn't matter where he's from or who's he's coaching.

I think Lehman is a good choice regardless of where he's from.

And I don't expect the team to perform much better under him in this series than they would have under Arthur. Can't make a silk purse and all that.

Back