MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2010/11

Re: MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2009/10

After playing in the old CDCA in the 90s and the early part of MMVCA the wickets where very much the same as today, they got prepeared on the Thursday and Friday and had no covers on them.
If you were a good enough player you got both runs and wickets and I think the standard was a lot higher back then.
Maybe its not the council maybe its the people running the comp???????
Anyway if you dont like the wickets maybe go to hard wickets where u play every week and the conditions are the same for both teams.

16cans;402526 said:
Willing 2 coach, willing 2 be paid 2 coach, willing 2 open the batting in A grade, but not willing 2 captain. OMFG. Maybe Terra should reconsider, at least he had some beads.
On match day, when the coach & the captain r playing in the same side, does the coach who is paid by the club over rule the captain on how certain players should be playing?
Just a question.
Nothing against Dom ( think he will do a very good job,and the right man for the job ) but it seems there is alot of money flying around at Pacoe so if he wants to just get paid to coach, I am sure there will be others willing to get paid to Captain at Pacoe ? And I am sure there will be some $ left over just to play and for them to try and get players to play with them.

old hack;402818 said:
Allows ordinary players to compete with the better players.

Totally agree, removes shots from those that have them.

Would it be better to have a guy trying to bounce a batsman out and the batsman taking on the short ball. We don't have that contest.

Some days you cannot drive as the wicket is stick and two paced and the bowler just have to put it there and wait. Doesn't make for good cricket.
Old Hack sometimes players just have to dig in and give the big shots away, which most players in this comp do not do ?

Can Play;403000 said:
Nothing against Dom ( think he will do a very good job,and the right man for the job ) but it seems there is alot of money flying around at Pacoe so if he wants to just get paid to coach, I am sure there will be others willing to get paid to Captain at Pacoe ? And I am sure there will be some $ left over just to play and for them to try and get players to play with them.

correct me if im wrong and maybe outdated (or stupid) since ive been playing in this comp for many years, I thought clubs could only pay one player and no one else was supposed to get paid to play???:confused:

like i said maybe i am a bit naive, but at my club Easts we had many great players in the past and they werent getting paid (to my knowledge)

I have seen Dom play and he is a good bat but not sure of his coaching credentials, but i wish him luck.

Can Play;403001 said:
Old Hack sometimes players just have to dig in and give the big shots away, which most players in this comp do not do ?

I agree I am only referring to the better 5% of players.

I enjoy playing in the games where Paul Newton Bowls to Warren Parker and both players can compete, if the wicket allows it.

You are right most bats don't have the ability to play shots without risk and then it turns into a numbers game.

All the best to everyone and good luck for the up coming season.

Can Play;403000 said:

I have a few things to say on behalf of Dom

There is a reason that he has not decided to take the captiancy that is the fact that he feels he has no time. On top of daily work and occaisonal trips to Sydney due to work, he has a band to manage, a new son and has decided to go back to uni via correspondence.

He has said that if they is no other person suitable to do the job, he will do it, although his wife will kill him. Oh, and btw, the captain's not gonna get paid at Pacco!

And for those of you that know Dom well, they should know that he is very business orientated and we at Pacco are gonna get subjected to it. But his philosipies will prevent him from overruling the captain's decision. He sees his role as coach as a pre-matchday role and wishes it to be seperate from the captain which would be a matchday role, and the club is very supportive of his views.

In all, I like to wish him the best of luck this year and, as many of you have said, he's a great bloke and deserves to do well!

Stooge33;403098 said:

There is a reason that he has not decided to take the captiancy that is the fact that he feels he has no time. On top of daily work and occaisonal trips to Sydney due to work, he has a band to manage, a new son and has decided to go back to uni via correspondence.

He has said that if they is no other person suitable to do the job, he will do it, although his wife will kill him. Oh, and btw, the captain's not gonna get paid at Pacco!

And for those of you that know Dom well, they should know that he is very business orientated and we at Pacco are gonna get subjected to it. But his philosipies will prevent him from overruling the captain's decision. He sees his role as coach as a pre-matchday role and wishes it to be seperate from the captain which would be a matchday role, and the club is very supportive of his views.

In all, I like to wish him the best of luck this year and, as many of you have said, he's a great bloke and deserves to do well!

WTF:confused:
Hasnt got time to Captain, but is coach ? :confused
I would've thought coaching takes up more time than playing and being the skipper on a Saturday:confused::
If he is there playing how is being the captain any more time consuming?
Doesnt make sense to me?:confused:
Good luck to him and i hope he does well, tough gig..............

Reggie Jackson;403123 said:
WTF:confused:
Hasnt got time to Captain, but is coach ? :confused
I would've thought coaching takes up more time than playing and being the skipper on a Saturday:confused::
If he is there playing how is being the captain any more time consuming?
Doesnt make sense to me?:confused:
Good luck to him and i hope he does well, tough gig..............

I think that stooge33 has it a little wrong my understanding is that Dom wants to coach the entire playing list focusing on all players. Thus not captaining he will not be only focussed on the a grade team, it has merret and the club is strongly behind him. As for lots of money being thrown around at paccoe very untrue you dont pay kids money to play cricket when they are learning the game and thats the big changes this year, it from what ive herd is generation change only 4 to 5 senior players the rest kids, a year or 2 of pain for long term change complete culture change. Past players or older players get use to it stop bagging Dom and the Club either get on board or go Good luck this year Dom our club needs to smarten itself up and from what im hearing you have started the long process..

3D-503;403127 said:
I think that stooge33 has it a little wrong my understanding is that Dom wants to coach the entire playing list focusing on all players. Thus not captaining he will not be only focussed on the a grade team, it has merret and the club is strongly behind him. As for lots of money being thrown around at paccoe very untrue you dont pay kids money to play cricket when they are learning the game and thats the big changes this year, it from what ive herd is generation change only 4 to 5 senior players the rest kids, a year or 2 of pain for long term change complete culture change. Past players or older players get use to it stop bagging Dom and the Club either get on board or go Good luck this year Dom our club needs to smarten itself up and from what im hearing you have started the long process..

Dont think any1 is bagging Dom or the club - just their thinking.
Dom would be an exceptional coach but cant understand the reasoning behind not wanting the captaincy regardless of what ur or others explanation is.

Would have thought if the kids r going 2 be given a go as u say they r & play in the same side as the coach, what a fantastic opportunity 2 show the kids what he trying 2 teach them during the week.

So what ur saying is, one voice during the week for these kids 2 learn from & a totally different voice & ideas 4 these kids on match day when the coach is in the same side. Even more confused now.

Would have thought as a coach, the entire list would be a given, not just A grade.
If reading correctly, payments have been made in the past but not anymore?

16cans;403133 said:
Dont think any1 is bagging Dom or the club - just their thinking.
Dom would be an exceptional coach but cant understand the reasoning behind not wanting the captaincy regardless of what ur or others explanation is.

Would have thought if the kids r going 2 be given a go as u say they r & play in the same side as the coach, what a fantastic opportunity 2 show the kids what he trying 2 teach them during the week.

So what ur saying is, one voice during the week for these kids 2 learn from & a totally different voice & ideas 4 these kids on match day when the coach is in the same side. Even more confused now.

Would have thought as a coach, the entire list would be a given, not just A grade.
If reading correctly, payments have been made in the past but not anymore?

Payments in the past?:confused:
Who would they pay?
They finished at the bottom end of the table and from what i seen/heard they were very very ordinary?
Maybe more $$$$$ than sense..................

Reggie Jackson;403168 said:
Payments in the past?:confused:
Who would they pay?
They finished at the bottom end of the table and from what i seen/heard they were very very ordinary?
Maybe more $$$$$ than sense..................

Can I ask gents.....why so much talk about Pacco and Dom as coach?? Isnt there anything else better to talk about!:confused:

RooBoy;403169 said:
Can I ask gents.....why so much talk about Pacco and Dom as coach?? Isnt there anything else better to talk about!:confused:

I absolutely agree.... what about the other teams in the comp... Who is coaching who, recruits and pre season....

Smoke My Bat;403170 said:

I absolutely agree.... what about the other teams in the comp... Who is coaching who, recruits and pre season....

True, but no harm in replying 2 what has been put up.

Any insight into your own club, appointments - recruiting - pre season & so forth?

Whats happening @ Cole? Fencing, ground work. Dont no if any football is played there while this is going on.
Will the ground be ready 4 start of season or is there another Brearley happening?

RooBoy;403169 said:
Very true with all this talk around about Money at Pacco maybe it would be a good idea to do an audit on all clubs and make sure that the MMVCA rule on paying one person in the club is being done. Maybe there will be some flags taken off some clubs (like the storm) that have not followed this rule. I would think half the flag winners from the last 10 years would lose their flags.

Stooge33;403098 said:

So does that mean he is going to miss games??? I doubt it!!! and if he has the credentials to coach the club wouldn't he be the best man to captain your A Grade side on the day since he will be there anyway:confused:

Re: MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2010/11

Butterfingers;404026 said:
Apparently retiring for off field reasons??

They have pup & his bro KC who will fill the void, no loss really...

i think pete is a very big loss 1 of the better bats in our comp if its true

Back