Mohammad Asif Tests Positive for Drugs during IPL

shaazthegreat

Mohammad Asif Tests Positive for Drugs during IPL

Sad - hasn't learned anything - has he? Can't be sure of anything now though...........

Mohammad Asif arrested in Dubai

June 03, 2008 10:51 IST
Last Updated: June 03, 2008 13:18 IST

Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Asif has been arrested at the Dubai International Airport for carrying contraband drugs in his luggage.

The pacer, who was on his way back to Pakistan from Mumbai via Dubai after a stint in the Indian Premier League, was detained on Sunday.

Due to the hectic efforts of the Pakistan Cricket Board, he is due to appear before a magistrate on Tuesday in Dubai and is expected to be granted bail, sources said.

"Yes he has been detained by authorities at Dubai airport for the last 36 hours. We are co-ordinating with the Pakistan embassy and handling this issue," Pakistan Cricket Board official Nadeem Akram told Reuters from Dubai.

"The substance recovered from him has been sent for tests. He is detained not arrested. We will now follow the legal procedures and we have hired lawyers for this purpose," Akram said.

It is the second drug scandal involving Asif, who along with Shoaib Akhtar [Images], tested positive for banned anabolic steroids before the 2006 Champions Trophy in India.

They were initially banned for two years by a drugs inquiry tribunal but later the ban was removed on appeal by an appellate tribunal formed by the PCB.

As expected no official of the board was willing to come on record on the issue.

Ironically, Asif was picked in the Pakistan squad for the forthcoming ODI tri-series in Bangladesh also featuring India.

Re: Mohammad Asif arrested in Dubai

Sad news as he was a good prospect for Pakistan
As per the news article above:
"Pakistan Cricket Board official Nadeem Akram told Reuters from Dubai".
I work in Reuters.

Haha lol. Sad for the Pakistan cricket team but I find it funny none the less. How come it's always the same players? :laugh:

You work in Reuters? Cool......

I saw Asif bowling for Delhi Daredevils in the semis, guess he was averaging only around 110-115 kph. In the beginning he was wearing an elbow support (umpire asked to take it out) and some weird thing on top. Did he have some injury or something?

I hope this is not what like it looks like. It hasn't been confirmed what drug was in his possession but some reports say it was opium. If its true then how could he be so stupid?

I hope for his sake that he is cleared. It would be a shame to see another career going down tha drain over drugs. However even if he is cleared, it would be more than likely that he gets punished some how

One thing to remember is that Dubai has a very draconian drug laws and will treat trace amounts (residues, amounts that may have due to contamination from other sources etc) just as harshly as as if you were to be found with a rucksack full of cocaine.

I would wait until more details are presented before making comment but one thing for certain, he if has been caught as suggested, it'll be doubtful that we'll see Asif on a cricket pitch for a few years.

Oh yes, that is so right! If they even *think* you do or deal drugs - then you'll be taken off the face of the earth!
Also, Asif would have known this and do you think he would be willing to take that risk?

Maybe he was hiding it in some kit or something, the news which i saw on televison said that he can be in police custody for 4-52 weeks.

Without knowing all the facts it's hard to say.

It may be that he does partake in drug abuse and simply forgot that he had something in his bag, it may have been planted or simply he put his bag in the wrong place and something stuck to the bottom of it. The potentials are endless.

I seem to recall a recent case where someone was detained for traces of opium that had come from a bread roll covered in poppy seeds, so you can see how tightly it's regulated (well, being from the UAE, I'm sure you already know).

Once the PCB has commented we'll have a better idea of the situation and how it's likely to pan out.

52 weeks! :eek:
They can be held in custody without being charged for a whole year. That makes our terrorism laws deicidedly soft.

I would like to see the sort of support that he gets. Whether he gets stuck by or hung out to dry

I am watching the news about him right now on television and it says that the PCB is saying
'WE HOPE ASIF IS NOT GUILTY'
4-52 years in police custody can change anyone's reputation by a ton

Weeks ;)

Yeh it is very possible it was planted in his bag, knowing the reputation Asif has around drugs, people could of just planted them and everyone would think he is guilty because of his past record.

Quite Possible but no Civilian will be able to touch any cricketer's bag, so if its someone else it has to be someone from the delhi team or the team management. There is police all around the players so no civilian can put it in his bag

EDIT: PCB is saying that asif is innocent until he is proven guilty

Thats the right way to go about it. This is not the first time he has been caught with drugs so that makes me think he is guilty. Despite PCB's poor track record in punishing serial offenders, there is no way Asif can get away with this if he is guilty. For his sake I hope he isn't and this was a misunderstanding.

Well said AB. We cant say that he is guilty until he is proven guilty, lets see what happens
i am right in front of the television and will keep telling you all the reports

The Board has sent one of its senior officials, Nadeem Akram, to Dubai to coordinate with the Pakistan embassy officials and resolve the issue.

Interestingly, when contacted in Dubai and asked about what substance had been recovered from Asif, Akram said a small quantity of the substance was found from his wallet and it was a medicine prescribed by a local Hakeem for Asif.

"He was carrying this substance in very small quantity in his wallet for the last four or five months and even forgot about it. He is also not sure what it is and it was prescribed to him for treatment of his elbow injury," Akram said.

"We have sent his blood and urine samples for test and so far we have not got the results," Akram said.
This is what was written in MSN news

EDIT: NOW ASIF IS SAYING THAT HE WAS NOT CARRYING DRUGS, HE WAS CARRYING AN AYURVEDIC MEDICINE!

Back