Money Shield 18/19

Fixtures are up
Released a week earlier than last year, there is improvement!
Hoping the lower grades and junior grades follow shortly.

Tipping most clubs will have some sort of praccy this weekend, not that cricket praccies carry much weight in seeing how a club will go for a season, especially a night after local footy finals.

If you do host a practice match, make sure you get the grass cut. Last one of those I played I was stomping through the foot long outfield hoping I didn't stand on cow crap or a brown snake!

If you do host a practice match, make sure you get the grass cut. Last one of those I played I was stomping through the foot long outfield hoping I didn't stand on cow crap or a brown snake!

Practise matches are well beyond me these days! Are they still a common thing. I know back in the day they were used a lot more..

Practise matches are well beyond me these days! Are they still a common thing. I know back in the day they were used a lot more..

I guess so. I think we have one scheduled for this weekend, but I'm not sure everyone will get a hit. If you get some decent opposition they can be useful, but if you end up playing against a bunch of kids or something (no offense to the kids), it can be a bit of a waste.

Not long till the start of the season, by taking in what's said on here, news articles etc. here's my thoughts.

Like last season I think there will be 6 teams fighting for 4 spots Lower Plenty have done the best in the off season, have brought some quality inclusions into the lineup and even though they might struggle to bowl sides out, putting on a massive total or chasing shouldn't be an issue. Old Paradians have also done well with their recruiting and I think wont have any issue at all with adjusting to Money Shield and will be right up there. Haven't heard anything out of the BU camp but have the best fast bowler in the comp and are always going to be competitive with Gunn, Ross, Curtin and Cogan in the batting line up. Heidelberg will always be there abouts with Whitcher and Cashen, probably need to find another 250-300 runs from someone else in case they both fail, not sure if Stewart is playing again, their bowling since dale and renwick have left hasn't seem to dropped as much as most would think. Banyule, hearing Occa isn't going around? If that's the case i suspect they'll drop slightly. Dare say every time Mash plays for Eltham they are in with a chance to win, will be the best batsmen in the whole DVCA by a country mile, if he plays more than half the season they could be sniffing around the 4. Their depth after that though could leave a bit to be desired. Bit of an unknown is Mernda, new coach who was plucked from a rather unusual source could be the change they need to cement themselves in the top 4. I'm not counting Gardner as a boom recruit.

On to the bottom half of the table, I think Boro will struggle, looking at their premiership team they would want to recruit a couple of handy cricketers to be in the mix and at least compete. Judging by the outs column at Lalor, they will struggle to pick themselves up from their position last year as well. Mill Park weren't too bad in their first year back up, haven't heard much from them but Boro/Lalor might save them from any concern about dropping.

Last edited:
Not long till the start of the season, by taking in what's said on here, news articles etc. here's my thoughts.

Like last season I think there will be 6 teams fighting for 4 spots Lower Plenty have done the best in the off season, have brought some quality inclusions into the lineup and even though they might struggle to bowl sides out, putting on a massive total or chasing shouldn't be an issue. Old Paradians have also done well with their recruiting and I think wont have any issue at all with adjusting to Money Shield and will be right up there. Haven't heard anything out of the BU camp but have the best fast bowler in the comp and are always going to be competitive with Gunn, Ross, Curtin and Cogan in the batting line up. Heidelberg will always be there abouts with Whitcher and Cashen, probably need to find another 250-300 runs from someone else in case they both fail, not sure if Stewart is playing again, their bowling since dale and renwick have left hasn't seem to dropped as much as most would think. Banyule, hearing Occa isn't going around? If that's the case i suspect they'll drop slightly. Dare say every time Mash plays for Eltham they are in with a chance to win, will be the best batsmen in the whole DVCA by a country mile, if he plays more than half the season they could be sniffing around the 4. Their depth after that though could leave a bit to be desired. Bit of an unknown is Mernda, new coach who was plucked from a rather unusual source could be the change they need to cement themselves in the top 4. I'm not counting Gardner as a boom recruit.

On to the bottom half of the table, I think Boro will struggle, looking at their premiership team they would want to recruit a couple of handy cricketers to be in the mix and at least compete. Judging by the outs column at Lalor, they will struggle to pick themselves up from their position last year as well. Mill Park weren't too bad in their first year back up, haven't heard much from them but Boro/Lalor might save them from any concern about dropping.
Occa will be going around at banyule

Season predictions anyone?

Will be a tight finish between the top 7 imo.

Being bias... Udhara Hewa Wellalage to win the medal and OP's to go back up

Lower Plenty
Old Paradians
Banyule
Heidelberg
Eltham
Mernda
Bundoora United
Mill Park
Greensborough
Lalor Stars

Back