Money Shield 2012/13

If a club is willing and can afford it, why not. Play against the best players possible.
In saying that, it's not good to see a club go against the normal trend of coaching and teaching young players but at the end of the day if they are paying a handful of blokes to play home grown players will move on and they will be locking up the rooms for 6 months after footys finished
In Sri Lanka only the richer families kids get to play cricket after school age and all have been to the upper class private schools where they get professional coaching through their early cricket life. These players then make very good coaches for young Aussie (Hurstbridge) kids.

Surely there needs to be a limit on the amount of Imports per team / club. Is there not enough local talent around the Hurstbridge area to develop by playing a high level of cricket. I am all for having an import to boulster the batting or bowling ranks, but 4 or 5, including a very high paid captain / coach is too many...
Don't know where you get 4 or 5 from, coach has lived in Oz for more than 20 yrs, Tru Blu, just ask him. 2 under 16's in sunday's side, we see that as a positive and a result of some good coaching over the pre season, and yes, situated in a non growth area it is very hard to find to enough players to field 3 sides, we have a great bunch of juniors coming through, and Sammy is doing a great job along with his recruits developing these kids.

In Sri Lanka only the richer families kids get to play cricket after school age and all have been to the upper class private schools where they get professional coaching through their early cricket life. These players then make very good coaches for young Aussie (Hurstbridge) kids.

Not sure how they are such good coaches when the majority of them can not speak a word of English when they get here anyway (speaking from our experience). Yes, Sammy has been here for a while, and is a great pick up for the Club, at cost, only if he sticks it out for a few years.
Kandage, Perera, Silva and another one in H grade this week = 4?

Speaking from my experience the majority can speak english and even the guys with limited language skills can still teach technique which is what its all about. If you are not usiing these players to coach you are wasting a valuable rescource.

Gotta go with goliath and 25 on this one as in my experience Lankans always polite and super passionate about cricket. A few basket cases in the field as they can go a wanderin and we all seen bundooras approach this year (no imports at all). However I do agree on a limit whether it is per club or per team. No way can a salary cap be policed but 2 max per team (paid imports) seems fair for mine. Question is where do hurstbridge get all their coin from? They must be growing some good shit out there!!

Gotta go with goliath and 25 on this one as in my experience Lankans always polite and super passionate about cricket. A few basket cases in the field as they can go a wanderin and we all seen bundooras approach this year (no imports at all). However I do agree on a limit whether it is per club or per team. No way can a salary cap be policed but 2 max per team (paid imports) seems fair for mine. Question is where do hurstbridge get all their coin from? They must be growing some good shit out there!!

How can you police 2 max per team (paid imports) but not a salary cap?

Not sure how they are such good coaches when the majority of them can not speak a word of English when they get here anyway (speaking from our experience). Yes, Sammy has been here for a while, and is a great pick up for the Club, at cost, only if he sticks it out for a few years.
Kandage, Perera, Silva and another one in H grade this week = 4?
So if you reside on the other side of Plenty River you are now classed as an import???
Dimma and Malin both speak and understand English without a problem, can't speak for Kasun as I have not had the pleasure of meeting him as yet, Sammy has brought a great work ethic to our club and has enforced a great amount of discipline on the playing group. The very high intensity in which he expects training to run has not been seen at our club before, and although it took our guy's a few sessions to get used too, they are loving it, not sure what sort of kanga you have heard he gets for his efforts but by the sounds of it you guys must have a coach who does it for love, trust me we have tried that, does not work.
Anytime you wish to come down to Ben Frilay on a Thursday night and and see first hand these guys teaching our kids one on one..........feel free, you are more than welcome.

So if you reside on the other side of Plenty River you are now classed as an import???
Dimma and Malin both speak and understand English without a problem, can't speak for Kasun as I have not had the pleasure of meeting him as yet, Sammy has brought a great work ethic to our club and has enforced a great amount of discipline on the playing group. The very high intensity in which he expects training to run has not been seen at our club before, and although it took our guy's a few sessions to get used too, they are loving it, not sure what sort of kanga you have heard he gets for his efforts but by the sounds of it you guys must have a coach who does it for love, trust me we have tried that, does not work.
Anytime you wish to come down to Ben Frilay on a Thursday night and and see first hand these guys teaching our kids one on one..........feel free, you are more than welcome.

Well said. I would like to see a rule of 2 international players per side (A grade only, the lower sides don't matter). As for questioning their English skills or integrity (ie money) who cares, you're worth whatever someone is willing to pay you. These internationals along with everyone else there on a Saturday absolutely love cricket. I have no doubt any player that has ability who is asked to assist in training etc would happily help, regardless of where their passport is from.

How many of a clubs a grade side played juniors at the club? id say there might be 3 or 4 from each club that didnt. its not different. yet, As long as clubs aren't getting carried away and filling sides with internationals, I say good luck to them.

We were 7 & 4 on the weekend. 2 of the 4 played juniors at another DVCA club and 1 was from a HDCA club. The other is from Ingurland. I'd imagine that is pretty normal.

Well said. I would like to see a rule of 2 international players per side (A grade only, the lower sides don't matter). As for questioning their English skills or integrity (ie money) who cares, you're worth whatever someone is willing to pay you. These internationals along with everyone else there on a Saturday absolutely love cricket. I have no doubt any player that has ability who is asked to assist in training etc would happily help, regardless of where their passport is from.

How many of a clubs a grade side played juniors at the club? id say there might be 3 or 4 from each club that didnt. its not different. yet, As long as clubs aren't getting carried away and filling sides with internationals, I say good luck to them.

We were 7 & 4 on the weekend. 2 of the 4 played juniors at another DVCA club and 1 was from a HDCA club. The other is from Ingurland. I'd imagine that is pretty normal.
Yes very normal I'd say, we were 8 & 3, obviously will change to 7 & 4 next game........our 2nds were 10 & 1, that 1 never played jnr cricket.

Exactly my point. Thanks Opener.

We all have "imports", some are just born a bit further away than others. These internationals are actually really good for the game as they bring a very different style of game to DVcA

I agree with Tonga. You are worth what you can get. Just out of curiousity Tonga if you were an import what would you be worth? A packet of smokes and a box of super small dingers!!
Exactly my point. Thanks Opener.

We all have "imports", some are just born a bit further away than others. These internationals are actually really good for the game as they bring a very different style of game to DVcA

We've had 3 imported players over our 75 year existence.
I would be interested to know how you obtain these players .

As secretary at Eltham, I can tell you that I receive around 10 emails a season from prospective players. I also had a few phone calls. But it's difficult because they generally want a bit in return, accommodation or a job plus a bit of coin, which is a big ask for unknowns. Although, they all (everyone of them) have captained their respective under 21 countries. So they must be good.

Agree there although don't know why you brought him up. I reckon thomo would have him back after weekend. Interested un your comments re imports. Eltham have never had many. Why is that?

Agree there although don't know why you brought him up. I reckon thomo would have him back after weekend. Interested un your comments re imports. Eltham have never had many. Why is that?

No rhyme or reason to it to be honest. In the last two years we've brought in 4 local boys, so I guess we probably haven't seen a need. It's also a very risk/reward situation and I guess we look at it in a cautious approach.and we'd probavly prefer to look at players in an ongoing capacity, not just a year or two.

Can tell you now that TU do not want him back, it was a bad day for the Club, but speaking to a few from there over the last 12 months, and he would not be welcomed back.

We have an import, same one, this is his second year, and he is a great bloke, a bit shy, but has come on in leaps and bounds this year, he has not liked the cold start to the season, almost had to take him out a cup of tea to fine leg last weekend.

i say well done em25 for having a crack at hurstbridge by making some big calls at the club. it probably wouldnt be an easy desicion to go with a sri lankan coach but i take my hat off to you. Like the Elthams, Lower Plentys and Montmorencys i guess Hurstbridge want to try to get back into barclay shield too where they all were for a long time. Hopefully everyone has a good cracking season with a lot of close games.

i say well done em25 for having a crack at hurstbridge by making some big calls at the club. it probably wouldnt be an easy desicion to go with a sri lankan coach but i take my hat off to you. Like the Elthams, Lower Plentys and Montmorencys i guess Hurstbridge want to try to get back into barclay shield too where they all were for a long time. Hopefully everyone has a good cracking season with a lot of close games.

Here, here - it is already shaping as a close season, a lot of games close with nothing at all being totally predictable, as a lot said here pre season, bottom couple may struggle, but really is going to come down to % and an outright here or there, really big if a side can grab a big win early.....and as mentioned, sides drawn against the weaker sides in one day matches might rue the system.

Back