Money Shield 2012/13

Warwick Todd

The season starts in less than 3 weeks, anyone care to make a prediction of the top 4?

My spies tell me the Rosanna boys think they are going to come into the comp and pump everyone. I think they may be a little overconfident.

Here's my ladder:

Rosanna
Greensborough
Eltham
Heidelberg
----------------
Bundoora United
Panton Hill
Montmorency
Lower Plenty
Hurstbridge
South Morang
Whittlesea
Banyule
Lalor
Thomastown

A few big calls there!
Lalor - to finish second last after coming down from the top grade!
Hurstbridge - to finish so high after not even winning the flag in a lower grade.
Banyule - a strong club in another comp to finish very low.
And a couple of finals teams from last year to drop off the pace.

But 13 don't fit into 4 spots. Glad that Eltham are starting to get a bit more acknowledgement this year though.

A few big calls there!
Hurstbridge - to finish so high after not even winning the flag in a lower grade.

But 13 don't fit into 4 spots. Glad that Eltham are starting to get a bit more acknowledgement this year though.

Agree, can't discount banyule this season

A few big calls there!

Tongs, played HB in the B grade GF last year. They were clearly the best in B grade all last year, just had a bad 2 hrs with the bat ( twice :D) in the Grannie.

Their bowling is as good as anyone, and they have picked a few more imports with Sammy etc... their batting depth is the worry.
Will be competitive but not sure about top 4. Going up a grade - any grade - is a big step from the one below.

A few big calls there!

As you mention Tongs, 13 into 4 is tough.....how about

Top 5 -
Rosanna – good side, lots of options
Lower Plenty – too many good players, all bats, not to win games
Eltham – can the Real Madrid of the DVCA stand up, I think so
Heidelberg – big names, will be a force
Hurstbridge – bowling will win games early, imports love one dayers

Middle few
Panton Hill – Motch will win some games for em
Montmorency – could struggle after losing a few
Greensborough – a few big names gone , long season
South Morang – honest battlers, will beat a few
Bottom 4 -
Lalor – on the skids
Whittlesea – struggle to beat many
Banyule - unknown
Thomastown – still hearing disharmony

Will keep my mob out of it.

Tongs, played HB in the B grade GF last year. They were clearly the best in B grade all last year, just had a bad 2 hrs with the bat ( twice :D) in the Grannie.

Their bowling is as good as anyone, and they have picked a few more imports with Sammy etc... their batting depth is the worry.
Will be competitive but not sure about top 4. Going up a grade - any grade - is a big step from the one below.

I watched them in the Semi Final against Eltham, and I thought they were nothing more than a good B grade team. They had some players too good for B grade, I mean no disrespect by this (I have some good mates playing there) but their depth was very oridnary. They have picked up Sammy, which will massively strengthen them in the bowling, but I can't see them making 100 many times.

I watched them in the Semi Final against Eltham, and I thought they were nothing more than a good B grade team. They had some players too good for B grade, I mean no disrespect by this (I have some good mates playing there) but their depth was very oridnary. They have picked up Sammy, which will massively strengthen them in the bowling, but I can't see them making 100 many times.

That's a pretty big call. Last year in B Grade they averaged more than 220; and in MS, the worst batting team still averaged c. 150.

Do you even play for Eltham anymore? I hear you haven't been seen at pre-season training yet. Perhaps a move to Riverside is in the works?

I think it is safe to say the Secretary at Eltham won't be playing at RIverside. There might be a small conflict of interest. Add to the fact, I may have my clearance refused (by Riverside)

That's a pretty big call. Last year in B Grade they averaged more than 220; and in MS, the worst batting team still averaged c. 150.

Not a big call at all. Its a massive jump from B grade to MS. In B grade you might get 1 or 2 good bowlers per side and the rest ok. In MS you can get minimum 1 gun, and 2 or 3 very good bowlers. The gap between the two grades is HUGE.

Not sure where you get the average of 220 from???Looking at the stats,

In 2011/2012 Hurstbridge averaged 163 per game (1796 in 11 games),
In 2010/2011 Riverside averaged 142 per game (1565 in 11 games) and got promoted to MS.

Riverside went up to Money shield and made under 100 in half the games, and only got over 150, 3 times, without getting 200.

Not a big call at all. Its a massive jump from B grade to MS. In B grade you might get 1 or 2 good bowlers per side and the rest ok. In MS you can get minimum 1 gun, and 2 or 3 very good bowlers. The gap between the two grades is HUGE.

In 2010/2011 Riverside averaged 142 per game (1565 in 11 games) and got promoted to MS.

Riverside went up to Money shield and made under 100 in half the games, and only got over 150, 3 times, without getting 200.

Sorry, I should have explained, my figures were based on runs scored per 10 wickets lost (ie their average score per completed innings).

Yes their batting tailed away very quickly after first 5-6. Also rumours were their best bat Crowe, has also flown the coup...? Anyone confirm...? Their bowling will keep them in most games if they can actually make 150.

The only advantage Hurstbridge have is they aren't a clubs 2nds side so adding the Sri Lankan players will benefit them. As Riverside showed though the gap is huge and with the 3 top HDCA sides as well Money is stronger than it ever has been. Top 4 is way out of their league this year.

Yes their batting tailed away very quickly after first 5-6. Also rumours were their best bat Crowe, has also flown the coup...? Anyone confirm...? Their bowling will keep them in most games if they can actually make 150.
Crowie fully committed Player, Committee member and Sponsor at Hurstbridge.

rosanna will make top 4

People predicting ladder positions are punting on a lot of unknowns.

1. How good were Rosanna, Hberg and Banyule last year, compared with MS? What have they lost, and what newcomers have they recruited? And how many next level replacements have they lost from their 2nds and 16/17 year-olds?

2. Greensborough - will Butera and the 2 Sri Lankans make up for their significant player losses?

3. Lalor - have they fixed their weak attack and geriatric batting line-up? If not, will their BS experience still be enough to make them competitive?

4. Will Hbridge's bowling recruits make them competitive despite the big jump and their short batting list?

5. Teams play at least 6 One-Dayers. Over the long run (note that qualification), lower teams beat teams higher on the ladder more often in 1-Dayers than in 2-Dayers; has the draw helped anybody in this respect? And do 1-Dayers advantage teams with a deeper bowling and shorter batting line-up over those with less bowling but more batting depth (Hbridge, anyone)?

6. Everyone has to replace injured/unavailable players at some time. Will Bun Utd's and Eltham's replacements be better prepared by playing in B Grade against BS 2nd XIs, when all other 2nd XIs are playing weaker opposition in C or D Grades?

Your guess is good as mine - in fact, better, because I'm not gonna make any guesses.

Back