Most over-rated bowler in the world.....

Re: Most over-rated bowled in the world.....

Have to agree with the above. Justify your reasoning (and no the fact that he is English doesn't count) or the thread gets closed as it is little more than trolling.

*Drinks half a slab of XXXX gold*
*Puts on his posting hat and punches out another dynamite thread*
*Is forums superstar LIONS then DAYLIGHT*

Surely someone has to rate him first?

Besides the current holder would have to be Ryan Harris, done nothing at domestic level, gets into the test side by luck, takes a few wickets against the might of New Zealand, but hardly great stuff, now suddenly some think he actually deserves to hold his spot ahead of the bowlers he replaced, guys who have taken wickets against South Africa and England, home and away and all have superior first class records

most overrated bowler in the world playing international cricket has to be ishant sharma, the guy is awful he was good when he came onto the world stage but has since lost alot of his pace and his accuracy is awful.

if we stick to overated englishmen andrew flintoff must be overrated, not to say he's bad but talking to some people you'd think he was the best bowler to have ever played for england.

I'll bite - Anderson has shown me that he can run in for Strauss and when he is on song and the ball is swinging then he is a massive plus for English Cricket. Has also worked on his batting, and he is not an all rounder at all but he has shown improvement and makes a big play when needed. As far as I am concerned he with a fit Onions are vital for English Cricket. Lets be honest they dont have a real quick bowler anywhere, so you make do with the home grown talent.

@eddiesmith So all Harris's wickets in the ODIs and Test meant nothing? I disagree with that kind of thinking. Hilfenhaus is injured, Johnson is not consistent yet and Bollinger has performed when given a chance. Harris has done his job and that is taking wickets for Australia and based on that he is not eligible here. With regards to the contracts, I must admit I am surprised ...

gundalf7;396172 said:
most overrated bowler in the world playing international cricket has to be ishant sharma, the guy is awful he was good when he came onto the world stage but has since lost alot of his pace and his accuracy is awful.

if we stick to overated englishmen andrew flintoff must be overrated, not to say he's bad but talking to some people you'd think he was the best bowler to have ever played for england.

@gundalf Sharma is sympomatic of Indian cricket. Brilliant young player but has been over bowled and under coached. Bowlers need to be managed and Sharma has not been. Why was Kapil Dev and Manoj Prabhakar such good bowlers in Indian conditions? They could change according to the conditions and bowl cutters and out think batsmen. Sharma has shown very little development of a slower ball and has struggled due to Indian cricket not having a proper bowling coach... I am not saying Eric Simons is the solution but in the modern game bowling coaches play a big role just look at Troy Cooley, Otis Gibson et al ... their attacks had the ability to work as a group ..

If I have to point fingers at over rated bowlers: Sajidt Mahmood is my immediate thought. He has performed up and down for Lancashire but have struggled to step up to international cricket. Inconsistent spells, erractic line and high RPO has plagued him.

This might be a shock but Morne Morkel has to be a candidate as well. Injured for lenghts of time and has battled no balls and inconsistency ever since becoming an international. Yes his length is different, he is over 6 foot 5" but when has he consistently performed for Yorkshire, The Titans and South Africa... You will battle to find it. He is either brilliant or aweful :)

hattrick;396180 said:
@eddiesmith So all Harris's wickets in the ODIs and Test meant nothing? I disagree with that kind of thinking. Hilfenhaus is injured, Johnson is not consistent yet and Bollinger has performed when given a chance. Harris has done his job and that is taking wickets for Australia and based on that he is not eligible here. With regards to the contracts, I must admit I am surprised ...

They dont mean nothing, but they are hardly worthy of the calls you see from some Australians now claiming him as some great bowler, I doubt there are too many fast bowlers in the world who wouldnt love to play NZ in NZ

When Hilfenhaus or even Siddle get back fit then both should be ahead of him as they have done it against better opposition so far and Harris first class record suggests he wouldnt be very effective against top nations

Bollinger is another interesting one, will be watching to see how he goes over the next 12-18 months, another who did well this summer against lesser teams but struggled in a bowler dominated match against South Africa last year

I agree with hattrick about Saj Mahmood. As an England fan, it is so frustrating to watch him get a place in the ODI squad when players like Plunkett, Ormond and Harmison are all better players. The one and only thing going for him is that he can bowl 90+ MPH on occasion - everything else is either wide or pitched far too full.

For me, the most overrated bowler in the world is South African spinner, Chris Harris. He was far too ineffective against England and he doesn't have many variations.

lewissaffin;396188 said:
The one and only thing going for him is that he can bowl 90+ MPH on occasion - everything else is either wide or pitched far too full.
When going downhill with the wind behind him?
I am inclined to agree on Saj M with the above poster.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;396152 said:
James "Jimmy" Anderson.

Discuss.

I rate Anderson, I saw him knock out Flynn's front teeth and then pepper Oram with short balls all afternoon at Old Trafford a few years back.
Most over rated bowlers for mine would be either Stuart Broad, Brett Lee or Chris Martin.

Side note: My most over rated players would be JP Duminy, Kieron Pollard and James Franklin.

Nobody rates James Franklin.

Yuvraj Singh is pretty overrated. Biggest flat track bully in world cricket.

thommy_rissole;396240 said:
I rate Anderson, I saw him knock out Flynn's front teeth and then pepper Oram with short balls all afternoon at Old Trafford a few years back.
Most over rated bowlers for mine would be either Stuart Broad, Brett Lee or Chris Martin.

Side note: My most over rated players would be JP Duminy, Kieron Pollard and James Franklin.

Wouldn't someone have to rate Chris Martin for him to be over-rated?

Agree about Lee, I can't believe he kept his CA Contract.

a for effort;396241 said:
Nobody rates James Franklin.

Yuvraj Singh is pretty overrated. Biggest flat track bully in world cricket.

Did you happen to hear the Kiwi commentators when the Aussies were over there? They thought he was the best thing since Lance Cairns.

But Yuvraj hit 36 off an over once...... :rolleyes: oh wait...

I read the "Ormond" comment over 5 hours ago and i've just picked my sides up!!!

hattrick;396180 said:
I'll bite - Anderson has shown me that he can run in for Strauss and when he is on song and the ball is swinging then he is a massive plus for English Cricket.

That's the problem he is only any good when the conditions suit him. could be said of many bowlers but he has had chances to improve and has shown some pretty weak efforts when the ball is going straight.

I think people get carried away by the fact that he has improved, and he has. The problem is that he was truely pathetic before hand and is now mediocre at a stretch.

I need to look no further than Harmison & Panesar, they got plaudits for years virtually saying they were the best thing since sliced bread,yet they have never been better than "crap"

PS ...and you poms have the nerve to criticise Hauritz,....he has forgotten more about spinning a ball than Panesar has ever known.:mad::mad::mad:

eddiesmith;396185 said:
They dont mean nothing, but they are hardly worthy of the calls you see from some Australians now claiming him as some great bowler, I doubt there are too many fast bowlers in the world who wouldnt love to play NZ in NZ

When Hilfenhaus or even Siddle get back fit then both should be ahead of him as they have done it against better opposition so far and Harris first class record suggests he wouldnt be very effective against top nations

Bollinger is another interesting one, will be watching to see how he goes over the next 12-18 months, another who did well this summer against lesser teams but struggled in a bowler dominated match against South Africa last year

This is where you pull my arguments apart though about players performing in the absence of others.

This here is just an example and please take it for what it is:

Brett Lee and Stuart Clark have both performed better than Peter Siddle/Doug Bollinger/Ben Hilfenhaus etc in the past, and perhaps have played better (in the past) than any of them ever had. It was unfortunate that they missed out and others rightly capitalised.

Ryan Harris has done the same here, but on lesser terms. There is no way that Siddle or any of the other bowlers mentioned around here can say they are better than Lee or Clark, simply because of time and experience. Therefore he is much easier to just write off because of injury and replace and not expect to give him his place back. It's harder to write off a 33 year old bowler injury stricken with 310 wickets than a 21 year injury stricken one bowler with an average of 35.

Therefore Harris was in the right place at the right time, and according to your own logic deserves to keep his spot.

Remember this is the international thread, and I'm only using this as an example to show that he is not overrated enough to be 'The World's Most Overrated Bowler', so Thommy Rissole... may not be possible for you to reply to that :D

lewissaffin;396188 said:
I agree with hattrick about Saj Mahmood. As an England fan, it is so frustrating to watch him get a place in the ODI squad when players like Plunkett, Ormond and Harmison are all better players. The one and only thing going for him is that he can bowl 90+ MPH on occasion - everything else is either wide or pitched far too full.

For me, the most overrated bowler in the world is South African spinner, Chris Harris. He was far too ineffective against England and he doesn't have many variations.

Mate, I am a bit confused :) Chris Harris played for New Zealand and Paul Harris plays for South Africa. I must admit his form has not been anything that he is capable. He is a match winner when used properly and not bowling into the legstump.

Back