North A and B 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: North A and B 10/11

Think the relegation of the bottom 2 sides in North A needs to be looked at when the draw is left the way it is. Albion played Avondale H twice already have two of there 3 wins from them games. Albion very lucky not to have played against Craigieburn on the weekend as would have put Craigieburn about 5 points behind them if Craigieburn won. Yet if Craigieburn can beat Avondale outright this game then Albion will go down.

Any thoughts ?

ROY G BIV;388836 said:
PokaOKane , if you took time to go through my posts, you should've also noticed that i say on more than one occasion "it's nothing personal", just my own thoughts as a player in NTH A.

In fact in some of my posts i have congratulated MV for their terrific season but have also mentioed their shortcomings and not deviated from my belief that they are an ordinary side which has simply overachieved in a severely weakened NTH A comp.

As far as my tip who'll win it, well mate i'll go through that again probably next week?

I agree, your criticism is largely honourable in that it's never directed at indivuals personally etc. And yes, you do give out the odd backhanded compliment, but that's not in question.

I'm drawing to light your belief that they are an "ordinary side which has simply overachieved in a severely weakened NTH A comp". In my opinion this is a team that (although you don't appear to rate or understand the contribution all 11 players make) is sitting atop the ladder in their division and looking ok to give it a good shake come finals. It doesn't make a great deal of sense from here that's all.

You got me, I have been down with the Valley a number of times over the last two seasons filling in space, currently I'm studying abroad so the only VTCA action I get is either through here or mycricket sadly.

Anyway, I'd like to think the finals should be a close tussle. I also think it's good WC have come through the season showing some grit after the slack they've copped around the place throughout- there's still an outside chance of a Nth B GF repeat?

sledger1976;388634 said:
Think the relegation of the bottom 2 sides in North A needs to be looked at when the draw is left the way it is. Albion played Avondale H twice already have two of there 3 wins from them games. Albion very lucky not to have played against Craigieburn on the weekend as would have put Craigieburn about 5 points behind them if Craigieburn won. Yet if Craigieburn can beat Avondale outright this game then Albion will go down.

Any thoughts ?

8 team's per grade is fairest as everyone plays each other twice once in a one day game and a 2 day game. But in saying that it has been the same way your years . Not a huge fan of a 12 team comp cause if you get the bottom sides in a one day game can cost you alot of points.

We played FU and St Alban's twice this year very tuff draw but if you are good enough you make it anyway. So know excuses from us.

phil crea;388895 said:
i disagree the four top sides ,on there day would beat a lot of sides in the next divison

well mate, bangladesh did beat the aussies on their day,
so that aint saying much.

for mine St Abans would be the only side pushing for the top 4 in 2008/2009 NTH A. Who would they knock out from Tulla,KPark,Greenvale,Avondale. don't know?probably no one.

but that's all hypothetical.

In 2009/10 we have St Albans, WCentrals, Funited and MValley.

someone mentioed who had the bigger outs in the WC vs MV game, for mine answer is simple Edrich. Ask your selves one question who would you rather have in your side Edrich on one hand or Perrera + Raj Aai....

for me ( fit) Edrich every time.

sledger1976;388634 said:

Any thoughts ?
if u cant win a flag clubs should not go up,

Arosha tonned up against Ed last year and from what I heard, the quicker Ed bowled the harder he hit em. I'll take a gun bat over a gun bat over a gun bowler every day of the week. Definately splitting hairs though, Eds a gun

sledger1976;388634 said:

Any thoughts ?

I think the VTCA should look at 10 teams in Nth A & Nth B.
In my opinion Craigieburn should never have gone up in the first place. They weren't a patch on Centrals or M/Valley in Nth B last season, and it's no surprise to see them probably going straight back down.

I wouldn't mind seeing the bottom 4 teams of Nth A getting dropped to Nth B to even up both grades at 10 sides. You wouldn't get to play everyone twice but as 7/564 said it's not ideal having 12 teams in Nth A (especially if you cop the better sides twice).

Cover_Drive;389088 said:
Arosha tonned up against Ed last year and from what I heard, the quicker Ed bowled the harder he hit em. I'll take a gun bat over a gun bat over a gun bowler every day of the week. Definately splitting hairs though, Eds a gun
both great crickters , sure arosha would look good in a centrals cap

phil crea;388642 said:
if u cant win a flag clubs should not go up,

Not right Phil, if ur the best team all year have an off day or heaven forbid the Rain affects the outcome.
I think the fairest thing is the Grandfinalists go up its FAIR.

Look at MV lost granny but still holding there own and Phil u guys arent going to bad either if your not out of your depth whats the problem surely the bottom two of NthA remain and continue getting slapped it could demorilise and kill a club.

202 n.o;374641 said:
good on you superstar on winning a g/f in NB1 great effort very high standed of cricket do they have umps in that comp c how u go in NA1 spending no money, if your got it spend it your club mit not have it dont have a go at clubs that do and are trying to get to the top thats why you guys will go anywhere. not very good effort so far mate you guys mit win it again next year back at NB1.as for being a big mouth good on you for standing over young blokes you must feel pretty good about yourself.dont no you but cant wait to play you this year a have beer together after the game if you hang around our club rooms ore you mit have to get back to the shit farm.

just like to say ,we wont be going back to nb1 , is it possible to win flags with not spending big money , i will answer that in 5 weeks ,as for your cricket knowledge very poor

sledger1976;388634 said:

Any thoughts ?

Fair point.

Lets see 12 teams and 11 macthes.

Why don't we play each other once in a 2 dayer. Problem solved!
season extended by 2 weeks (why don't we start 2 weeks earlier for divisions with 12 teams) i know getting the wickets up that early is an issue - but if there is the will to play each team once in a 2 dayer then it can be done by either starting 2 weeks early or finishing two weeks later, we'll all be
be happy.

Otherwise the draw will always be unfair for some.

On the new 2 up 2 down concept. I like it.
Premierships are hard to win for most clubs (Just ask Gr$$nvale), so this gives clubs more incentive to move up into the higher grades.
Best two teams to go up and worst two teams going down, sounds good to me.

phil crea;389115 said:
just like to say ,we wont be going back to nb1 , is it possible to win flags with not spending big money , i will answer that in 5 weeks ,as for your cricket knowledge very poor

Does this mean that Centrals have already won the semi?

CheeQuee;388643 said:
I think the VTCA should look at 10 teams in Nth A & Nth B.
In my opinion Craigieburn should never have gone up in the first place. They weren't a patch on Centrals or M/Valley in Nth B last season, and it's no surprise to see them probably going straight back down.

I wouldn't mind seeing the bottom 4 teams of Nth A getting dropped to Nth B to even up both grades at 10 sides. You wouldn't get to play everyone twice but as 7/564 said it's not ideal having 12 teams in Nth A (especially if you cop the better sides twice).

Cheeks,
Agree, Craigieburn were never going to cut it and they seem to have gone backwards from their year in Nth B last year if you look at their side now. I think both Avondale and Craigieburn wouldn't make the current Nth B 4 as we speak.
I think the only answer to solving the number of clubs in each grade is to get more new clubs to the comp. The 8 in Nth B can still have its disadvantages as it is structured that you play half the teams twice b4 Xmas and then the other half twice after. A number of clubs are very different pre and post Xmas and so you can get he wrong edge of sword ther too.
As far as other clubs go, is there any truth to a rumour that the likes of Darley may come into the comp? Maybe thats where we get the additional sides from? Personally, Werribee and Craigieburn are far enough for me but you never know what it ,might end up at.

ROY G BIV;388659 said:
Fair point.

Lets see 12 teams and 11 macthes.

Why don't we play each other once in a 2 dayer. Problem solved!
season extended by 2 weeks (why don't we start 2 weeks earlier for divisions with 12 teams) i know getting the wickets up that early is an issue - but if there is the will to play each team once in a 2 dayer then it can be done by either starting 2 weeks early or finishing two weeks later, we'll all be
be happy.

Otherwise the draw will always be unfair for some.

On the new 2 up 2 down concept. I like it.
Premierships are hard to win for most clubs (Just ask Gr$$nvale), so this gives clubs more incentive to move up into the higher grades.
Best two teams to go up and worst two teams going down, sounds good to me.

I don't think there's much room to move with regards to making the season start earlier or finish later.

As it goes now, Round 1 is scheduled for the Saturday straight after AFL Grand Final, so it couldn't start any earlier.

And going any later would bring circumstances like weather and footy practice matches (and Easter?) into the mix...

I support the concept of premier & runner-up getting promoted as well. Helps to continue the rivalry between those sides.

would be some nervous players at Kingy Baptists

Flemington have won their protest over Seabrook which puts them within 9 points of Kingsville

With Flemington to play St Andrews an outright is on the cards for sure

Jacana play Kingsville which means the Baptists are well and truly under the hammer

He who knows best;389127 said:

Flemington have won their protest over Seabrook which puts them within 9 points of Kingsville

Jacana play Kingsville which means the Baptists are well and truly under the hammer

Couple of things here - jacana will find it difficult to beat KBs because they aren't playing at home. Secondly, I don't think flem are good enough to outright St Andrews.

Bring on the finals I say

CheeQuee;388663 said:
I don't think there's much room to move with regards to making the season start earlier or finish later.

As it goes now, Round 1 is scheduled for the Saturday straight after AFL Grand Final, so it couldn't start any earlier.

And going any later would bring circumstances like weather and footy practice matches (and Easter?) into the mix...

I support the concept of premier & runner-up getting promoted as well. Helps to continue the rivalry between those sides.

Nothing wrong with making the two one dayers sat sun to make them all two dayers and every one play each other once in a two day game weather permitting.

Cover_Drive;389132 said:
Couple of things here - jacana will find it difficult to beat KBs because they aren't playing at home. Secondly, I don't think flem are good enough to outright St Andrews.

Bring on the finals I say

mmm don't think this is correct

Flemington have won their last 3 now (2 were proper wins against Kingsville and St Andrews in a 1 day game)

I believe Flem have got a MAMMOTH chance to beat St Andrews outright

In reference to KB's they have lost at home to Abers last round, lost to Flemington the round before and Jacana the round before that....Flemington actually beat them prior to that as well....

their latest win was by 1 wicket against Abers in a 1 day game

certainly not a team inspiring confidence going into a last round game they must win nor a finals series if they get there...

Cover_Drive;389088 said:

Perara did ton up against Centrals in the 07/08 season.

Last season against Centrals, he hit scores of: 2, 33 and 0 in the grand final.
Of them three innings, he went out twice, with D. Taylor getting him both times.

Seems he doesnt like the medium pacers

BigCoq;388658 said:
Not right Phil, if ur the best team all year have an off day or heaven forbid the Rain affects the outcome.
I think the fairest thing is the Grandfinalists go up its FAIR.

Look at MV lost granny but still holding there own and Phil u guys arent going to bad either if your not out of your depth whats the problem surely the bottom two of NthA remain and continue getting slapped it could demorilise and kill a club.

i just beleieve it means something to win a flag ,then u earn your spot

He who knows best;389127 said:

Flemington will not beat St Andrews outright in my opinion.

And Jacana should have no trouble knocking off Kingsville Baps.

ROY G BIV;388620 said:
On finals, this is the first year i can rember the top 4 is decided well before the last round of games, can't recall that ever happening b4. St Albans, Werribee Centrals + Funited are all a chance, Monnee valley will be just make up the numbers.

Interesting tips- 3 out of the 4 are a chance...but the current ladder leaders (by some points, admittedly losing a close one on the weekend to Werribee, a team written off by 90% of user posts this season) are scraping in to make up the numbers!??!

I've spent a little time perusing the pages of this thread and amongst the dribble that seems to dominate; I can't help but make a couple of observations Roy-
A) That's a fairly observant (albeit conservative) tip. Being in the top 4 at least one of them has to make the grandfinal under the current system, thus, leaving them a chance to win... Put you're credit on the line and pick a winner.

B) You seem unreasonably biased against Moonee Valley, a common theme throughout much of your contribution. Any reasons you date rate them, as they seem to be going along nicely for a team who supposedly rely on handful of players?

He who knows best;389133 said:
mmm don't think this is correct

Flemington have won their last 3 now (2 were proper wins against Kingsville and St Andrews in a 1 day game)

I believe Flem have got a MAMMOTH chance to beat St Andrews outright

In reference to KB's they have lost at home to Abers last round, lost to Flemington the round before and Jacana the round before that....Flemington actually beat them prior to that as well....

their latest win was by 1 wicket against Abers in a 1 day game

certainly not a team inspiring confidence going into a last round game they must win nor a finals series if they get there...

Maybe you do know best lol

I knew that KB were floundering, but i didnt realise there was bearly a pulse...

I still maintain that St Andrews will be very tough to outright - they have an opening bowler that is capable of running through their often brittle batting. On the negative though, with the exception of O'Toole, their batting is only fair. O'Toole is a gun though - prob one of the best bats ive seen in a while in this grade - a little suspect early but if he gets in, good luck - right up there with Arosha

Great to see the spots are still up for grabs going in to the Semi

W/C vs Moonee Valley... could see a repeat in one of the semis...
W/C just got over the line with no Edrich, yet Moonee Valley no Aiyappan or Perrera. Which team had the biggest outs?
Should be a great rematch in the weeks to come.

Avondale Heights v Craigieburn
Both already relegated. 1 win between them.
Long break between drinks for at least one club or could they both somehow find a way to lose.
Both clubs would be eager to get over and done with this season, should be feeling pretty battered + bruised.
I dunno why but I am tipping Avondale again, have done that few times over the last few years but this season they have done my tipping & more importantly themselves no favours. On paper look better than Cragieburn but that aint saying much, however for them the danger is D Portou, a lot of batters have made big runs against Avondale attack this year so the way Portou bats if they don’t get him soon he could do anything.

Seddon v St Albans

St Albans should do it easy here, for them need a solid batting effort.
Need confidence with the bat b4 finals
Seddon were very ordinary last year have improved somewhat, Grant a good inclusion along with a few others.

Albion v Werribee Centrals

Centrals too good with the ball for Albion.
Edrich +Clutton outright could be on cards.
Like St Albans need more runs going into the semi.
Albion stay up to go around 1 more year in NTH A. Should thank the Avondale lads, what will they do next year. S Brne back again?

Moonee Valley v Footscray United

Funited, have a Band-Aid bowling attack that will eventually be their downfall in the finals.
Everyone bats in this side, suspect against quality quicks though, but batting is their strength.
I see MValley missing Perrera+ Raj that gives Funited a win here.

East Keilor v Taylors Lakes

Dunno the INS/OUTS here.
East keilor to finish off their best season in 3-4 years with a win.
TLakes have done well this year but a far cry from winning 3 flags in NWCA mats, needed G Gones,without his services would’ve battled it out with Albion,Avondale,Craigieburn for relegation. That’s not fair the way Avo + Cragieburn have gone everyone else was always safe in NTH A.

My finals standings
1. Funited
2. Mvalley
3. Wcentrals
4. St Albans

If this is how they end up after 11 rounds, then St Albans Vs Werribee grannie with St Albans Premiers.

St Albans would look to avoid Funited in the Semi though United have a very good record against them don't believe have lost to them in a couple of years atleast.

phil crea;388602 said:
will play finals new born not doing the best ,thats why he didnt play full side to pick from come finals so i am sure we will give it a good shake

New born not well, I hope all works out well there for him. Edrich having 4 weeks off before finals could work in WC favour. He will be fresh as a daisy and might need to bowl some big overs if they make the GF

ROY G BIV;389151 said:
Avondale Heights v Craigieburn
Both already relegated. 1 win between them.
Long break between drinks for at least one club or could they both somehow find a way to lose.
Both clubs would be eager to get over and done with this season, should be feeling pretty battered + bruised.
I dunno why but I am tipping Avondale again, have done that few times over the last few years but this season they have done my tipping & more importantly themselves no favours. On paper look better than Cragieburn but that aint saying much, however for them the danger is D Portou, a lot of batters have made big runs against Avondale attack this year so the way Portou bats if they don’t get him soon he could do anything.

Seddon v St Albans

St Albans should do it easy here, for them need a solid batting effort.
Need confidence with the bat b4 finals
Seddon were very ordinary last year have improved somewhat, Grant a good inclusion along with a few others.

Albion v Werribee Centrals

Centrals too good with the ball for Albion.
Edrich +Clutton outright could be on cards.
Like St Albans need more runs going into the semi.
Albion stay up to go around 1 more year in NTH A. Should thank the Avondale lads, what will they do next year. S Brne back again?

Moonee Valley v Footscray United

Funited, have a Band-Aid bowling attack that will eventually be their downfall in the finals.
Everyone bats in this side, suspect against quality quicks though, but batting is their strength.
I see MValley missing Perrera+ Raj that gives Funited a win here.

East Keilor v Taylors Lakes

Dunno the INS/OUTS here.
East keilor to finish off their best season in 3-4 years with a win.
TLakes have done well this year but a far cry from winning 3 flags in NWCA mats, needed G Gones,without his services would’ve battled it out with Albion,Avondale,Craigieburn for relegation. That’s not fair the way Avo + Cragieburn have gone everyone else was always safe in NTH A.

My finals standings
1. Funited
2. Mvalley
3. Wcentrals
4. St Albans

If this is how they end up after 11 rounds, then St Albans Vs Werribee grannie with St Albans Premiers.

St Albans would look to avoid Funited in the Semi though United have a very good record against them don't believe have lost to them in a couple of years atleast.

raj and perera are both playing this game (so the web site says) so i think the valley will win as will crigieburn.. also the big one will be played by the same two teams that played it out last year in north b... just shows you how weak north a is.. most north b sides would beat most north a sides.. all the good teams from north b cant come up at the same time but when they have they just pass on into the next grade.. greenvale tulla west meadows... w/c and maybe m/valley. abber park will come up and do the same.. north a has been weak for awhile..lads

freehit;388758 said:
W/C vs Moonee Valley... could see a repeat in one of the semis...
W/C just got over the line with no Edrich, yet Moonee Valley no Aiyappan or Perrera. Which team had the biggest outs?
Should be a great rematch in the weeks to come.

Whilst stats dont paint the full picture... Perriera and aiyappan nearly 400 runs each. Aiyappan 24 wickets. Edrich 20 wickets. Gun bowler but figures probably show moonee valley probably had bigger outs.. Edrich gun bowler tho. Hope his kid gets better...

shhhhhhhhhhh;389164 said:
raj and perera are both playing this game (so the web site says) so i think the valley will win as will crigieburn.. also the big one will be played by the same two teams that played it out last year in north b... just shows you how weak north a is.. most north b sides would beat most north a sides.. all the good teams from north b cant come up at the same time but when they have they just pass on into the next grade.. greenvale tulla west meadows... w/c and maybe m/valley. abber park will come up and do the same.. north a has been weak for awhile..lads

Are Moonee Valley taking themselves too seriously. VTCA website says the two stars are not playing whereas the Moonee Valley website say they are both in. Interesting..

koh phi phi 3;388825 said:
Whilst stats dont paint the full picture... Perriera and aiyappan nearly 400 runs each. Aiyappan 24 wickets. Edrich 20 wickets. Gun bowler but figures probably show moonee valley probably had bigger outs.. Edrich gun bowler tho. Hope his kid gets better...

two good players , but if u read the stats they havent beaten us in the last 3 years ,but saying that i like playing them they play the game hard . the little one is doing a bit better

Name one of these sides that actually won a flag or even palyed off in a NTH A in order to go up.

Abers have a history of finals in NTH B but hardly ever won a game in NTH A.
Flemington also always struggled when they came up in A.

THe likes of Wmeadows, Wcentrals, Mvalley have been in NTH A before and all struggled. Westy were probably were the most competitive of the lot.

Don't wanna keep regurgiatting the lack of strenght of NTH A but them are the facts. Historically alot of the NTH B clubs have struggled when promoted, recent years there have been some exceptions highlighting the gradual decline of standards we agree on that at least. But i don't think any NTH B clubs of 2009/10 with the exception of Aber park would be finals aspirants in NTH A. NTH B is cleary the lowest standard of 1X1 cricket in NORTH half of the VTCA.

Admittedley Greenvale and westy are now a very strong 1x1 sides thanks largely to their ex district recruits.

phil crea;388829 said:
two good players , but if u read the stats they havent beaten us in the last 3 years ,but saying that i like playing them they play the game hard . the little one is doing a bit better

Someone must like you beating moonee valley phil, havn't lost in 3 years and the one time they were in a promising position over you last year if i recall correctly didn't it rain second week?
Seems to be a rivalry building between the two clubs which is good to see in the competition. Hence why i think two teams getting promoted and relegated is a good idea. It promotes these rivalries and makes the competition stronger and healthier.

Opening_Bat;389139 said:
Perara did ton up against Centrals in the 07/08 season.

Last season against Centrals, he hit scores of: 2, 33 and 0 in the grand final.
Of them three innings, he went out twice, with D. Taylor getting him both times.

Seems he doesnt like the medium pacers

, he made 150 to
be precise. Judging by that, i rekon he dosn't mind the ball coming on to the bat.
The game should bring back memories for our resident clown, Mr Crea, he tonned up himself. Well done Phil, your last score i think!

PokaOKane;388740 said:
Interesting tips- 3 out of the 4 are a chance...but the current ladder leaders (by some points, admittedly losing a close one on the weekend to Werribee, a team written off by 90% of user posts this season) are scraping in to make up the numbers!??!

I've spent a little time perusing the pages of this thread and amongst the dribble that seems to dominate; I can't help but make a couple of observations Roy-
A) That's a fairly observant (albeit conservative) tip. Being in the top 4 at least one of them has to make the grandfinal under the current system, thus, leaving them a chance to win... Put you're credit on the line and pick a winner.

B) You seem unreasonably biased against Moonee Valley, a common theme throughout much of your contribution. Any reasons you date rate them, as they seem to be going along nicely for a team who supposedly rely on handful of players?

PokaOKane , if you took time to go through my posts, you should've also noticed that i say on more than one occasion "it's nothing personal", just my own thoughts as a player in NTH A.

In fact in some of my posts i have congratulated MV for their terrific season but have also mentioed their shortcomings and not deviated from my belief that they are an ordinary side which has simply overachieved in a severely weakened NTH A comp.

Look at Funited, essentially the same side as last 2 years (with the exception of TJ ) where they struggled and now they are a chance for minor premiership. Have no frontline fast bowlers (apologies to the oldtimer D Mcllenan?) TJ is their spinner and that's it. had a better bowling attack last year with suares + sri lankan overseas but couldn't buy a win
& look @ 'em now.

Saying anything less than complimentary about any club is bound to invite some stick from the supporters of that club & good on you for denfending your 1X1 (fair to assume you are a MV fella)

As far as my tip who'll win it, well mate i'll go through that again probably next week?

u are kidding not one side in b grade i rate ,need to pick up a lot of players ,and i mean a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back