North A And B

I was flat on my back in hospital for three weeks from Dec 21 to Jan 14. However managed to play the last game of the season and was reasonably satisfied with my effort. Wife reckons I should retire and I said I would at seasons end, but I'm starting to get that urge again. Your a long time retired Roy.

If the Goat Herders were going to loose, it was always going to be their batting. Tulla's 225 or so was a good score, but on a reasonable deck it is always gettable. I don't think St.Albans improved their list from last season and that is a mistake as other clubs will. Tulla can attest to that. So can F/U, as they have improved their bowling Attack.

Someone posted on here recently that F/U"s catching would cost them the game in the big ones. If F/U has an achillies Heal I believe it might be their batting.Thats not to say their batting is crap. Their top six are the key as it falls away pretty sharply after that. 5 of the top six have made 100's before and in finals too. They'll take it to the next level and should win. All they have to remember is the granny is a longer game and patience at the crease is a virtue.

Glad to know you'r doing well old timer (Stay away from those KFCs Mr Sanders :) - probably getting a bit too long in the tooth to be on that rubbish).
Reckon as long as you can stand erect you'll keep playing - they don't make cricketers like (in your ilk) they used to anymore.

Me not retired yet (probably should... way past my best?) reckon still got some 1X1 life left in me though (hope so anyway), if i am still around next season, will definitely pull on the whites.

Roy-How has Overland Reserve's pitches been this year? Deck playing true. Any help to the bowlers either way? Cheers!

Roy-How has Overland Reserve's pitches been this year? Deck playing true. Any help to the bowlers either way? Cheers!

WTP - If you are a batter then there ain't many grounds out there better than EK's in NTH A.
My solitary outing out there this season it was nice to bat on, ball came on to the willow nicely and
bounce was ok - bowlers would've like a bit more bounce - but can't recall a ball getting higher than knee high.

Due to overcast weather there was a bit more grass on the deck thah usual, which gave the bowlers some asssistance with
d new pill (only for first 10-16 overs) after that it was a road. In recent times always a batting deck.

anyone confirm what abers deck has been like last couple of weeks.
tow big scores in the semi just gone. must have been an ok pitch by the sounds of it????

anyone confirm what abers deck has been like last couple of weeks.
tow big scores in the semi just gone. must have been an ok pitch by the sounds of it????

The table at Abers Clifton Park is very ordinary. Over the years i've played on some very patchy, weed infested decks.Inconsistent bounce was the main problem. Very up and down. Dangerous at times. This season was no different.

I hear a lot of games this season have been washed out, fixtures moved etc.. because of the state of the sodden outfield. Big drainage problems. How the VTCA have fixtured a Nth A Grand Final there is beyond me.

Must be the nice white picket fence.

The table at Abers Clifton Park is very ordinary. Over the years i've played on some very patchy, weed infested decks.Inconsistent bounce was the main problem. Very up and down. Dangerous at times. This season was no different.

I hear a lot of games this season have been washed out, fixtures moved etc.. because of the state of the sodden outfield. Big drainage problems. How the VTCA have fixtured a Nth A Grand Final there is beyond me.

Ditto - if deck has not improved since last Abers were in NTH A then it will make for an exciting game.
Bowlers (medium pacers) will be licking their lips - mind you dunno if it has improve in the last 2 years.
Some say it's not as bad as it used to be?????

Ditto - if deck has not improved since last Abers were in NTH A then it will make for an exciting game.
Bowlers (medium pacers) will be licking their lips - mind you dunno if it has improve in the last 2 years.
Some say it's not as bad as it used to be?????

I went down and watched the last hour on Saturday, and the seddon bats where hitting out. Some very big sixes hit. The pitch held together, because the curator watered it imediately after play ceased..

Got told its one of the highest rating pitches based on the captains reports this season. didnt get to bat on it so cant confirm.
used to be a minefield 2 years ago.

Got told its one of the highest rating pitches based on the captains reports this season. didnt get to bat on it so cant confirm.
used to be a minefield 2 years ago.

I find that hard to believe.
Good luck to the Tulla batsman facing Footscrays two Sri Lankan quicks on it.
Not much fun having deliveries rearing at your head off a good length.

I find that hard to believe.
Good luck to the Tulla batsman facing Footscrays two Sri Lankan quicks on it.
Not much fun having deliveries rearing at your head off a good length.

It has just been coincidence I am sure, but other than the years Abers were in North B I had played on that ground every single year and it would be fair to say I agree with the comments about it's pitch over the past 10 years. I did however play on it this year and made the comment to others that it was the best pitch in North A1 this year alone. I really enjoyed batting on it. It was hard and true and without a lot of rain on it over the next few days I believe we will look at 200+ scores this weekend from both clubs. The last time I played on a deck that good was probably Avondale Heights a few years back. So I think it's a good choice for this years GF.

Lastly though, who are Foots Utd two Sri Lankan quicks. Lets be honest, there is nothing quick about them. They come on at a very nice pace. I believe a quick is someone who puts fear into a batsmen. i.e Clutton, Greenidge years back, Edrich, and the like. I can't play the short ball and if either of those three dropped one short it would be fair to say there would be some movement from the arse region. The Sri Lankans don't put any fear into me personally and are more than welcome to bowl short anytime. They are just honest bowlers at best. I highly doubt they would be in the top 7 to 10 in regards to pace in North A

It has just been coincidence I am sure, but other than the years Abers were in North B I had played on that ground every single year and it would be fair to say I agree with the comments about it's pitch over the past 10 years. I did however play on it this year and made the comment to others that it was the best pitch in North A1 this year alone. I really enjoyed batting on it. It was hard and true and without a lot of rain on it over the next few days I believe we will look at 200+ scores this weekend from both clubs. The last time I played on a deck that good was probably Avondale Heights a few years back. So I think it's a good choice for this years GF.

Lastly though, who are Foots Utd two Sri Lankan quicks. Lets be honest, there is nothing quick about them. They come on at a very nice pace. I believe a quick is someone who puts fear into a batsmen. i.e Clutton, Greenidge years back, Edrich, and the like. I can't play the short ball and if either of those three dropped one short it would be fair to say there would be some movement from the arse region. The Sri Lankans don't put any fear into me personally and are more than welcome to bowl short anytime. They are just honest bowlers at best. I highly doubt they would be in the top 7 to 10 in regards to pace in North A

fair summation there yellow. Echoes my sentimnets exacly regarding Foot Quicks.
They have been much needed for United as last year their keeper had to open the bowling at times so
they were desparate for someone anyone who could bowl really and the lankans have filled that need.

fair summation there yellow. Echoes my sentimnets exacly regarding Foot Quicks.
They have been much needed for United as last year their keeper had to open the bowling at times so
they were desparate for someone anyone who could bowl really and the lankans have filled that need.
I actually thing if this rain keeps up it may actually favour the Tulla bowlers more than Foots.. Tulla only have a medium paced attack at best and if the pitch is playing slow this may be perfect conditions for them..
I believe that the players to watch are TJ for sure however I think D. Scott could be the player to watch for Tulla.. I dont really like the guy much but I know the guy can bat!! Hasn't really done much all year but made a 50 on the weekend so he may be in for a big one...
Anyone actually been able to confirm if Zaharodni is playing on the Saturday or have these just been some games played by Tulla??
Still think Foots to win as their bats are a lot more consistent and Elstone will be sorely missed.

De silva fresh in the spell can bowl right up there and def classify as quick for north a1...Prob the best quick in the comp cos he actually gets wickets.
the other LANKAN hasn;t been bowling with the new pill so may not appear that sharp and from what i heard he has been carrying an ankle injury.

So its confirmed now that zhrod is out for day1?, the game could be decided day one for me then....thoughts?

De silva fresh in the spell can bowl right up there and def classify as quick for north a1...Prob the best quick in the comp cos he actually gets wickets.
the other LANKAN hasn;t been bowling with the new pill so may not appear that sharp and from what i heard he has been carrying an ankle injury.

So its confirmed now that zhrod is out for day1?, the game could be decided day one for me then....thoughts?

I think Zaharodni's absent if correct would have a big influence regardless of whether they bat or bowl. Bowls 3- plus overs if he needs to and can open the batting and once set can occupy the crease for a long time. Is it worth the risk, absolutely as there may be a delay in the start given the rain we've had and little still to come.

Canary yellow, who do you rate, as the 10 quickest in north a this season?

BJ

This is only my opinion but the trio out at St.Albans would definately be up there, Clutton, Dunn, McCammond, followed by Arrowsmith, Pascu and in my opinion Bennet from Jacana. Saying that, Bennets short ball is the only thing quick and that is because he throws it. I beleive they are all quicker tan FU's quicks. I also believe Silva is quicker than Lasantha.

Roy, there is no question that you are right about FU being a better side with them both being in it. Last years bowling attack down there was laughable with McKay opening. My only point was I doubt very very highly that people lose sleep knowing they need to get up and face Lasantha and Silva.

It will be an interesting game with a lot riding on Zahrs shoulders. Both sides have players who don't like big occasions and seem to tighten up once there is a bit of lip involved. Scott and O'Rielly both seem to fail when there is a bit of lip service going there way. They can both give it, but very rarely like it coming the other way.

BJ

This is only my opinion but the trio out at St.Albans would definately be up there, Clutton, Dunn, McCammond, followed by Arrowsmith, Pascu and in my opinion Bennet from Jacana. Saying that, Bennets short ball is the only thing quick and that is because he throws it. I beleive they are all quicker tan FU's quicks. I also believe Silva is quicker than Lasantha.

Roy, there is no question that you are right about FU being a better side with them both being in it. Last years bowling attack down there was laughable with McKay opening. My only point was I doubt very very highly that people lose sleep knowing they need to get up and face Lasantha and Silva.

It will be an interesting game with a lot riding on Zahrs shoulders. Both sides have players who don't like big occasions and seem to tighten up once there is a bit of lip involved. Scott and O'Rielly both seem to fail when there is a bit of lip service going there way. They can both give it, but very rarely like it coming the other way.

Your wrong there Canary. The more you give it to O'Reilly, the harder he digs in. As far as that ridiculous person Scott is concerned, he's been an abject failure. He's more concerned with inane abuse of opposition bats than playing good cricket. When he bats he gets as good as he gives which he, as you said, can't handle. It's about time he got off his mothers tit and did the team thing. His average of thirteen doesn't cut it with me.

How fast is quick in your opinion canary. Why would a batsman fear a quick. The advantage a quick has over a medium pacer is that he causes batsman to rush their strokes depending on ability. You mentioned Greenidge when he was over here some years back playing for Albion. He was certainly quite nippy but I don't recall anyone saying they were scared of him. Most I spoke to found it quite an experience and enjoyed the challenge.

I went down and watched the last hour on Saturday, and the seddon bats where hitting out. Some very big sixes hit. The pitch held together, because the curator watered it imediately after play ceased..

Since when can you water a pitch when stumps a drawn on saturday, when play is to continue the following day. (Sunday)

Your wrong there Canary. The more you give it to O'Reilly, the harder he digs in. As far as that ridiculous person Scott is concerned, he's been an abject failure. He's more concerned with inane abuse of opposition bats than playing good cricket. When he bats he gets as good as he gives which he, as you said, can't handle. It's about time he got off his mothers tit and did the team thing. His average of thirteen doesn't cut it with me.

DJ I don't believe I am wrong, mentioned the big occasion, Shan does enjoy the verbal stoush but he never delivers on the big stage. If for instance there was a verbal stoush in round 4 between him and a bottom 3 ranked side he would relish the situation however when it actually means something and it's game on he tightens right up. He does not make runs in finals

Back