ODI XI Selection Thread

On team dynamics I'd say White. D Hussey and Smith both bowl whereas White doesn't really bowl anymore.

I'd also drop White but would be pretty surprised if the selectors actually do it.

Just looking today it's a bit of a worry that so far Krezja has only 2 for 109 and Smith 1 for 85 on wickets that suit spin. Surprisingly Ponting has given Dave Hussey only 4 overs for 1 wicket, perhaps he thinks he already knows what he can do and wants have a good look at the other 2, dunno.

I guess the question now is who makes way for Hussey? His brother, White or Smith?

Whilst I agree Hussey is still an invaluable ODI player, the decision to include him is so contrived. Bollinger out, Hussey in. What the? If we expect pitches conducive to pace come the finals, we are going to be in trouble.

Once again, the selectors have admitted they got it wrong by not selecting him to begin with. With his staggering return of 19 and 11 in the recent Shield match, does Mr.Cricket automatically leapfrog Ferguson & Paine and displace an incumbent batsman who has yet to take guard at the crease during this tournament?

At least they didn't call on Voges yet again.

Whilst I agree Hussey is still an invaluable ODI player, the decision to include him is so contrived. Bollinger out, Hussey in. What the? If we expect pitches conducive to pace come the finals, we are going to be in trouble.

Once again, the selectors have admitted they got it wrong by not selecting him to begin with. With his staggering return of 19 and 11 in the recent Shield match, does Mr.Cricket automatically leapfrog Ferguson & Paine and displace an incumbent batsman who has yet to take guard at the crease during this tournament?

Hard to see Mike Hussey going to the World Cup and not being in the starting eleven. Like I said before, it's a puzzling decision, a bowler goes home but in comes a batsman. As Western Australian I of course love having Hussey in the side but it's a strange call to have made, the selectors must have some deep confidence in the part-time bowlers.

He is the perfect selection. Our batting has been shaky and we badly need a left hander somewhere in the order. Hussey, along with Clarke, is our best player of spin. This will be crucial soon. Sending Nannes as extra cover is a very clever move. If Lee, Johnson or Tait fall over he is there ready to go. As well as that we still have Hastings waiting in the wings.

We've still got 3 quicks plus Hastings and Nannes is good insurance if someone falls over, there are fair breaks between games this is more than enough. I'm more worried about the spin department tbh.

lol @ Ferguson and Paine, M.Hussey is arguably our best ODI batsman, we've got 2 almost practice games against minnows and Pakistan before the quarters that should be enough time. Only getting 19 and 11 is irrelevant he just needed to prove his fitness, and they are the sort of scores that incumbent batsman Cameron White has been getting in ODIs all summer.. Agree with you on the selectors stuffing up originally.

I'm actually surprised they didn't pick Pete Siddle they seem to love picking him for ODIs for some reason.

Just so you don't think I'm taking a Vics-only angle here, I'll put it on record that I do not consider Siddle a leading candidate for Australia's ODI team. He is not in it, and nor should he be if others are fit. For that matter, I don't believe Hastings is amongst our elite either. He is okay, and they say he was picked for the WC because he can also bat. I would respond to that by saying, "How about we get the essentials right first?" Nannes, for instance, is a better limited overs bowler, so he should have gone instead. I'm tired of our selectors hedging their bets all the time: White picked initially because he could bowl a bit, North ditto, Smith can do a bit of both ... blah, blah, blah.

^Agree with that, really imo the player should be able to make the side (or at least pretty close to it) in one discipline and the other skill to be more of a bonus. Hastings whilst I don't mind him at state level is as you said is a good example of this selection thinking v Dirk Nannes, I can understand countries like NZ doing this when they simply don't have the luxury of our depth.

Time to make the hard call. Drop Ponting.His performance against Pakistan where he belted the cover off the ball and stood his ground was a disgrace.He made a fool of himself and made Australians look like a bunch of cheats.Cricket Australian should fine him for that and then accept his resignation. Make Clarke Captain and bring in Paine to bat at 3. White out for David Hussey who can bowl his darts and he knows how to take wickets. Get rid of Krejza, and bring in Ferguson,with Clarke, Hussey and Smith bowling spin. We need a deep batting order as we struggle playing spin. When we played India in the practice match they looked really old in the field and struggled. All the pressure will be on India and they have tripped up a few times under the weight of expectations.

Time to make the hard call. Drop Ponting.His performance against Pakistan where he belted the cover off the ball and stood his ground was a disgrace.He made a fool of himself and made Australians look like a bunch of cheats.Cricket Australian should fine him for that and then accept his resignation. Make Clarke Captain and bring in Paine to bat at 3. White out for David Hussey who can bowl his darts and he knows how to take wickets. Get rid of Krejza, and bring in Ferguson,with Clarke, Hussey and Smith bowling spin. We need a deep batting order as we struggle playing spin. When we played India in the practice match they looked really old in the field and struggled. All the pressure will be on India and they have tripped up a few times under the weight of expectations.

Other players have done that, waited for the review on an obvious nick, the only reason this is being made a big deal of, is because it was done by an Aussie and particularly because it's everyone's favourite pantomime villain, Punter.

I think he should go because he's past it and he's not a good enough captain to be carried purely for his nous. You could put Cam White in at 3 where he has a very good record and he can play himself in as he prefers to do these days. The team won't lose anything in captaincy skills, as I think Clarke has a better nose for it, than Punter.

Well the campaign is over as predicted in the QF stage. Ponting batted well and looked very confident, something he has not been for a long time.Cam White looked like he had been plucked from a park cricket team and thrown into the Aussie team. He looked terrible and whatever is left is of technique needs to be thrown out and start again. David Hussey was magnificent and showed why he should never have been left out. Now that it is over let the recriminations begin! Hopefully Ponting will just give it away on a high and not try to push on.BTW good to see Clarke stand up again when the pressure was on.

I'm finding it difficult to even be that disappointed. I suppose that comes from having low expectations.

Punter isn't going anywhere.

Clarke has had a great tournament stats wise. He just hasn't shown up against decent teams.

Cameron White hasn't turned up at all.

My issue with the world cup is that it really smacks of who cares. That's not to say I don't want Australia to win, just that it is no more important than anything else and much less important than any test or test series.

There has to be some satisfaction out of losing. Now the "review" of Australian cricket will not be papered over with "we are world champions, what could possibly be wrong". Let’s be honest there is a reasonably good chance that would have happened. Consider the number of people who will be doing anything to keep their jobs. So I look forward to the "really big changes" at the top of CA with no expectation at all.

In the end this world cup has highlighted a couple of things for Australia (some of them not for the first time):
· We cannot carry so many out of form batsmen (Sorry White).
o We seem to drop bowlers for fun (at least last home series) but batsmen are welded in.
· The bowling selection was either rubbish or the stocks are pretty thin (especially spin).
o I am inclined to say a bit of both here
· Critics of Ricky Ponting can take the proverbial long walk.
o That's right get it right up ya.
o If anyone else calls for his head on behaviour grounds I think I might give up on the idea of Australians not being idiots. He doesn't need to be well behaved. Who (who matters) cares? Did he harm you church on Sunday, tea and scones, doyleys all over the place, "mumsy says I'm a smashing cricketer" perspective on the world... Harden up!
· Michael Clark's ability to bat under pressure is woeful.
· Steve Smith is not a cricketer

Our bowling stocks are thin. It's been proved over and over again in the past 6 months and we don't have international class spin bowlers. I wouldn't say that the batting stocks are piles better though. You only need to see the frequency of collapses by the test team in the past two years to see that.

I, in no way, intended to imply that there was strength in the batting. Far from it, I was implying that for no reason the batsmen seem safer than the bowlers.

Jason Krezja should never play for Australia again, some people get all excited because he spins the ball a fair way but he bowls with little variation or guile. Averaging 55 with the ball in a WC on the sub-continent is terrible.

Krejza's biggest problem is that he has little control over length. He bowls too short, I'd say, at least 3 balls an over. You can see why they don't want to consider him for tests, he would be picked off so easily and add nothing to our attack's ability or should that be inability to take wickets.

Lord knows when we will have a genuinely test class spin bowler again. Perhaps not for years and then we will have to be satisfied with someone of Bruce Yardley's ilk.

Interesting to see what direction the OD team takes from now. Do we look to the next world cup, or the champions trophy and get rid of the players who aren't going to be around? Here are my thoughts on where the team should head looking at the next two to four years.

1. S. Watson- Seems to thrive on the responsibility of opening, and is probably our best one day bowler. Most important to the set up.
2. D. Warner- Should be ripping it up in the one day team. Really enjoy watching him bat, he is far better than just a 20-20 slogger.
3. C. White- People might bag this, but remember when Ponting was injured and he batted at 3 in the one day side and dominated? I reckon he might be a bit like Watson, give him responsibility and he'll respond. Tell him he is the number 3 for 12 months, and tell him to make it his own.
4. M. Clarke (c)- Tactically astute, and a good leader of men. Forget what people say about him, he'll be a very good captain.
5. C. Ferguson- Ripper batsman perfect for the one day game. Should be in the team now and for the next 5 years.
6. M. Hussey- Should play as long as his body and eyes allow him to. Important to the set up as a left hander and a finisher.
7. M. Wade- Should be the man to replace Haddin at some stage. Really good batsman and good keeper. Not sure why Paine is seen as such a lock.
8. S. Smith- Should be selected as the spinner, and bowl ten overs per game. Good fielder and handy batter/slogger, but needs to become a really good leggie. Once again, give him the responsibilty. Krejza is rubbish.
9. M. Johnson- Wouldn't mind seeing him bat higher at times, particularly if we have a cracking start.
10. B. Lee- Still looks super fit, still looks keen and hungry, still bowling quick. Why not? If his body holds up, he should stay.
11. Hazelwood/Pattinson/ Cummins- Time to get a young quick into the scene.

I agree with the future team potrayed by courjester but according to my observation Steven Smith is an over - rated player. He is not as a good legspinner as claimed by Shane Warne, so i think Australia has to find a quality spin bowler in order to dominate the world cricket once again.

with regards

saad

Squad for the tour of Bangladesh, Tait and Krezja out for Pattinson and Doherty.

Michael Clarke (c)
Shane Watson (vc)

Xavier Doherty
Callum Ferguson
Brad Haddin
John Hastings
Mike Hussey
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Tim Paine
James Pattinson
Ricky Ponting