Off Spinning Guide

Re: Off Spinning Guide

How do you think your bloke Hauritz is doing, I noticed Pieterson gave him loads of credit in some of our papers here, whereas generally he has been getting written off as crap in the press here leading up to the Ashes?

someblokecalleddave;355894 said:
How do you think your bloke Hauritz is doing, I noticed Pieterson gave him loads of credit in some of our papers here, whereas generally he has been getting written off as crap in the press here leading up to the Ashes?

He's a Defensive bowler at best in my eyes, not a big turner of the ball but has an ability to stay the same line continuously which isn't what you want in a spin bowler, not much variation (doesn't use his toppy much).

I reckon he's easily read and taken care of.. I'm not a fan.

MrOffBreaks;356007 said:
He's a Defensive bowler at best in my eyes, not a big turner of the ball but has an ability to stay the same line continuously which isn't what you want in a spin bowler, not much variation (doesn't use his toppy much).

I reckon he's easily read and taken care of.. I'm not a fan.

Was lucky to get 3 wickets, although Swann hasn't impressed me at all.

i've gotten back into cricket training now that it's preseason and im interested in finding out, what styles of offspin that everyone on this forum bowls.

e.g. whether you're aggressive or defensive, your variations your theories and ways on working out a batsmen.

i will add my own as well.

I just wanted this so we can all try new things at training and arm ourselves for the season ahead ;)

Can I join in if I'm a wristy that uses his Wrong un against Left Handed bats - as I need ideas around this cos I struggled last week.

depends what trouble are you having the lefties

i have 3 areas i aim for each side of the wicket (when im bowling around and over the wicket) to lefties.

i have one outside their leg stump one on middle and one outside off (for over the wicket)

i bowl outside off, on off stump and middle and leg (for around the wicket)

it all depends on how the batsmen plays, as im fielding i tend to look out for the batsmen's preferred shots and least favorable shots and how much they use their feet and whether they are a back foot or front foot player.

and from that i know what areas i can bowl what pace i should bowl at and what change up will work best.

example last year there was a guy who loved to use his feet, would get to the pitch of it and drive it down the ground or through the covers. He was also very strong off his back foot so...

i bowled toppy after toppy at him tempting him to cut (flighted) and trained him with it, he thought the pitch wasn't turning much and that i was bowling too quick.

Then on my final ball i bowled a flighted off break that was very short but as he thought it was tossed up and thought it would pop up. But he didn't let it do that and danced down ball turned went through him and he was stumped. My point is figuring out your batsmen will determine which areas to bowl.

My tips for lefties are, keep it outside leg if you want to be aggressive and if you can turn the ball it really does mess them up, they feel they have to play every ball, and when they get a ball more off side they'll leave it or play a shot that you want them to e.g cover drive and you can have a man covering the gap. It's not always about spin, pace but i find my biggest weapon to be using different areas of the pitch and forcing batsmen to play every ball.

If you notice that the bats good off their legs would you then put the ball in on the Off stump turning it away from the bat?

I think it's obvious really I'd just be doing exactly the same as if he was a right hander but the other way around. But the key part of the whole strategy is you need to be able to bowl into the areas that you intend to and with a wrist spinner like me that means I need good contol of my Wrong Un. I just need to practice more so that I've got the same kind of control and spin with the wrong un as I have with my leg break?

Yeah i was speaking in an off spinners sense but yeah as a wrong un would be harder to control. To hit your spots you should practice it, but remember your a leggie and if you over bowl your wrong un you may lose the control you have with your leg break.

If the batsmen is strong off his legs i tend to pitch it outside off and whenever i bowl it on their pads ill bowl a change up delivery. Or id bowl around the wicket and aim for off stump and force them to drive me.

Mate - I'm only too aware of losing my Leg Break, I've only just recovered it after losing it for 2 years! I practice with 12 balls these days 9 reds and 3 whites and only bowl the wrong un with the white balls as they come out of the bag and that seems to work as it's mixed in there with my Leg Breaks. Then I'll have the odd 12 balls of Wrong Uns for some intensive practice.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on getting a nice and balanced action? I feel as though I am falling over sometimes when I am about to deliver the ball which results in me sliding it down leg. The thing is last season I was the leading wicket taker in the league and I havent changed anything. But now I cant build up any rythem and take any wickets.

sorry to butt into this convo but I was always told that the first rule of a variation ball for a spinner, be it offspin or leg, that you need to practice the ball untill you get it right all the time, not just practice till you get it right once...

T.A Offspinner;381316 said:
sorry to butt into this convo but I was always told that the first rule of a variation ball for a spinner, be it offspin or leg, that you need to practice the ball untill you get it right all the time, not just practice till you get it right once...

Depends on the ball. Your standard break, definitely!

But with balls like the doosra, for example, if you can manage it and can do it without the batsman picking it, practicing it over and over and over may get you to still have only a 50% success rate at it. This can also be a powerful weapon, if you don't know what's going to happen, neither does the batsman. Having the same ball with the same action result in two different things can be just as tricky as being able to land a doosra every time.

someblokecalleddave;356990 said:
Mate - I'm only too aware of losing my Leg Break, I've only just recovered it after losing it for 2 years! I practice with 12 balls these days 9 reds and 3 whites and only bowl the wrong un with the white balls as they come out of the bag and that seems to work as it's mixed in there with my Leg Breaks. Then I'll have the odd 12 balls of Wrong Uns for some intensive practice.
that idea with the bag of different coloured balls is really good, i should probably try it for my top spinner...

Boris;381318 said:
Depends on the ball. Your standard break, definitely!

But with balls like the doosra, for example, if you can manage it and can do it without the batsman picking it, practicing it over and over and over may get you to still have only a 50% success rate at it. This can also be a powerful weapon, if you don't know what's going to happen, neither does the batsman. Having the same ball with the same action result in two different things can be just as tricky as being able to land a doosra every time.
well that's just it, everyone was telling me to develop a doosra, but i haven't felt the need to seeing as i have already got a top spinner and two offspinners with different actions (as in not even remotely similar) and this works well for me...

T.A Offspinner;381319 said:
well that's just it, everyone was telling me to develop a doosra, but i haven't felt the need to seeing as i have already got a top spinner and two offspinners with different actions (as in not even remotely similar) and this works well for me...

I have developed a doosra myself, but 80% of my wickets come from off breaks that don't spin that much, just very plain. You don't need any variations at all to be good at levels of even up to higher grades, but it helps a lot.

I have three different off breaks I use regularly, probably similar to the ones you have, they don't do that much different but at least they keep the batsman thinking. I also use a top spinner, and I thoroughly recommend a back spinner. They are really useful, especially when combined with a hard wrist flick with a touch of turn.

T.A Offspinner;381319 said:

Yeah, I've found that if I try to vary my bowling too much I don't bowl as well. Bowling Off break after Off break as long as its consistent can be a very effective way of bowling.

Doosras and Wrong uns etc. aren't necessary If you have a consistent Stock Delivery

Boris;381322 said:
I have developed a doosra myself, but 80% of my wickets come from off breaks that don't spin that much, just very plain. You don't need any variations at all to be good at levels of even up to higher grades, but it helps a lot.

I have three different off breaks I use regularly, probably similar to the ones you have, they don't do that much different but at least they keep the batsman thinking. I also use a top spinner, and I thoroughly recommend a back spinner. They are really useful, especially when combined with a hard wrist flick with a touch of turn.
well most of my wickets are caught in short or at slip seeing as my first few balls i'll really rip them and get around a foot of turn, then i'll change and almost just let my fingers roll across the ball and confuse the batsman because they'll play for the spin but it wont be there...

Back