Off Spinning Guide

Re: Off Spinning Guide

MrOffBreaks;381324 said:
Yeah, I've found that if I try to vary my bowling too much I don't bowl as well. Bowling Off break after Off break as long as its consistent can be a very effective way of bowling.

Doosras and Wrong uns etc. aren't necessary If you have a consistent Stock Delivery

I agree fully, but it does help if you have every extra little thing to put off a batsman that is hitting you for six every second ball, as quite often happens to off spinners.

Just having them actually makes you think and gets you out of the common rut of 'just running in and bowling' which doesn't work with spinners all too well.

Boris;381326 said:
I agree fully, but it does help if you have every extra little thing to put off a batsman that is hitting you for six every second ball, as quite often happens to off spinners.

Just having them actually makes you think and gets you out of the common rut of 'just running in and bowling' which doesn't work with spinners all too well.
but that's just it we have time to think about what we want to do and where we want it to land, cause were not just charging in and firing it down as quick as possible (very anti pace) so we can formulate a strategy, instead of just a pattern...

T.A Offspinner;381325 said:
well most of my wickets are caught in short or at slip seeing as my first few balls i'll really rip them and get around a foot of turn, then i'll change and almost just let my fingers roll across the ball and confuse the batsman because they'll play for the spin but it wont be there...

As an experiment in the nets, try putting your first finger the seam actually laying along it. Then put the ball in your hand and hold it with your second and third finger on top and to the opposite side of the ball respectively, both on the seam. This should make your first finger bend slightly side ways unnaturally. Then flick like this and see the large amounts of spin you can get without moving anything but your fingers. Add that with the rest of your body movements and you can really get some serious rip. It may hurt your finger though.

This is great for the opposite to what you have done there, so you can trick the batsman with little spin or much more spin. Have all the spectrum!

T.A Offspinner;381327 said:
but that's just it we have time to think about what we want to do and where we want it to land, cause were not just charging in and firing it down as quick as possible (very anti pace) so we can formulate a strategy, instead of just a pattern...

Patience being the strongest point in it all. Watching every single detail of a batsman. So much better than pace bowling. Although bouncers are quite fun to be honest.... :D

Boris;381331 said:
Patience being the strongest point in it all. Watching every single detail of a batsman. So much better than pace bowling. Although bouncers are quite fun to be honest.... :D
espescially to bat against aswell...

As an offspinner, what are some methods you use against someone that is reading your bowling and really going on a charge against you? Sometimes I come against certain batsman who just have it over my bowling. What are some methods you use when they adjust for everything and hit you out of the park once an over?

One thing that works for me is to bowl flatter and quicker to try and force them onto the back foot, if there still going after you then try more flight, get it right up above their eyeline this also gets more turn on the ball so you can rip through them. But a first resort for me when a batsman is picking me is to flatten my flight and put them down alot quicker and don't give them time to move and let them make the mistake...

There is one guy on my team who has faced me the most. He is an exceptional mover of his feet. If he dances and I drop it in short, he just rocks back and it's gone again. The other day we had an internal club game and he scored 170. 68 of those runs were from my bowling alone. I would have had very good figures if it weren't for him, ended up with 3/83 off 12 overs, all 12 of them including him somewhere. He can pick me completely due to the amount of overs in the nets I have bowled to him. Just a little story there.

I like dishing out a pace delivery sometimes. At lower club levels if you have the same run up as your off spin and just randomly throw in a pace deliver as fast as you can at the stumps, I found that can get out the slogger very quickly. Also dropping your pace and putting a man in at mid wicket is good for the skied catch. If you look over on the 'Captaincy Tips' thread on this bored you will see some off spin tactics I have devised.

well seeing as this fellow that's ruining your figures has seen you for some much might i suggest a different ball, when batsmen are picking my quicker balls my stock balls and my flight balls I bowl them the big dipper, this gets me alot of LBWs I can tell you how it goes if you like...

and just while your speaking about figures, my best is 4/3. what's everyone elses?

I don't have that same trouble with many batsmen. Just because he has seen and faced many of all of my deliveries, so there was nothing left to try.

My best figures are 9/28. 8 of the wickets came in my last three overs. My favourite game, although I must admit it was a fairly weak side. Not usual for me to get above 4 a game.

That was just a lucky game I guess and I was having a really good season. It was a 40 over a side one day match as well, so it was off 8 overs. I bowled 4 overs as second change getting one wicket, the first of the match, and then my last 4 overs were bowled out just coming into the death overs, around the 30 over mark and I got all my wickets in that period when they were two down. Got the last wicket with my last ball. Really good game and it was also a very good run chase for us because they had put on a good score.

What's the story behind yours?

Boris;381558 said:
That was just a lucky game I guess and I was having a really good season. It was a 40 over a side one day match as well, so it was off 8 overs. I bowled 4 overs as second change getting one wicket, the first of the match, and then my last 4 overs were bowled out just coming into the death overs, around the 30 over mark and I got all my wickets in that period when they were two down. Got the last wicket with my last ball. Really good game and it was also a very good run chase for us because they had put on a good score.

What's the story behind yours?
mine was very similar to your only i didn't bowl a spell early, i came on in the 34th over of a 40 over and the first ball i bowled i put in a top spinner and got a thick edge to the keeper, then i bowled a maiden and the in my last we needed two wickets and they needed 4 runs to tie, I got one off the second ball then they hit a four then on the last ball of the innings I bowled the dipper and got him LBW so we tied...

T.A Offspinner;381559 said:
mine was very similar to your only i didn't bowl a spell early, i came on in the 34th over of a 40 over and the first ball i bowled i put in a top spinner and got a thick edge to the keeper, then i bowled a maiden and the in my last we needed two wickets and they needed 4 runs to tie, I got one off the second ball then they hit a four then on the last ball of the innings I bowled the dipper and got him LBW so we tied...

They are excellent figures when put like that and the captain must think good of you meaning you are quite the decent spinner to put you at the death.

Unlucky you tied because an effort like that deserves a win.

So that was a 4 over spell I'm presuming?

yeah I've often come in handy in the late overs cause with an older ball i can keep the turn going at the same amount but it also drifts 3-4 inches...

You still have to be pretty good though, because as a spinner utmost accuracy is of the important, and at slower speeds if you make the slightest mistake a batsman can pummel you out of the park, so you have to be good to not make those small mistakes otherwise you might get a couple of wickets, but be expensive also.

Drift is perhaps the most important thing of off spinning i think.

The magnus effect with the opposing air pressures on either side of the ball.

The difference with off spin to leg spin is that due to the amount of revolutions that can be generated, a leg spinner can get huge drift and huge spin, whereas a general rull for offies is that if you get a lot of drift you are unlikely to get a lot of 'actual turn' because the ball uses all the revolutions just to straighten the path down the pitch, instead of continuing to go straight with the drift.

But then you can make a weapon out of that.

I have two different off breaks for the two different balls, big turn, big drift and they just vary in between both of them as I bowl them with natural inconsistency.

You can also use the swing of a cricket ball to your advantage with the arm ball and get a 'drift' from swing and get it to spin more or less to your will.

Back