Off Spinning Guide

Re: Off Spinning Guide

I hate that question... because I don't really have one either, never got the hang of it.

I just make sure that when I spin the ball anyway you keep the seam upright with the rough side of the ball facing to off for a right hander, leg for a left. Then bowl it without imparting to many rotations on the ball and bowling it quickly with as little loop as possible to its destination without changing the speed of your action too quickly as to alert the batsman.

The backspinner is also a very handy ball to have.

ahh the backspinner is something i have a pretty good grip of, i sometimes pull them out of the bag with out knowing... they can really mess with the batsmen...

by the way, when i bowl to some of the top order first graders they say i get a fair bit of movement with the ball, but i get alot of lbw's turned down because of this, do you reckon i should change it or keep it the same...

Yes and no.

You have to ask yourself the question if you were to remove that spin, would they still miss it to get that LBW appeal? If it doesn't spin and had to pitch in line then most likely they will be able to hit it. I would more prefer to use that spin, pitch it slightly more towards leg and look for the close in catch on the leg side with a gully and slip in for the ball that goes straight on or pitched further out. Also if you can trick them into it hitting their pads, think of changing something slightly so it can hit the stumps instead.

But you have to try everything first. Just bowl a few overs of it one game and see if it works, if you like it. Not whether it gets a wicket, but whether you think it could if you didn't get one. If they start timing straight drives, then I might stop.

Do you have a more standard field setting?

well mainly I have a long on, silly mid off, cover-point, extra cover, 1st slip, deep backward square, keeper (no brainer), midwicket, short leg, and the last fielder gets moved around a fair bit, like for my top spinner i'll bring him in to short mid on around 2 balls before i bowl it... how about you

T.A Offspinner;381607 said:
I know it might make me less of an offspin bowler but i haven't really got an arm ball, what's the basics of it?

I'm not sure on how it's supposed to be done, but when I do it I move the ball in my hand so the seam runs straight down like a paceman would have it and then bowl it was the offspiners grip to fool them. That way I'm basically bowling it as a medium pacer but with just one finger. It works decently, the pace can surprise a batsman but if you don't really get some minor swing it becomes almost ineffective.

EDIT: Oh, and sometimes you can get it to seam. I've had that happen before.

ah ok i think i have an idea of how it is now... i might give it a go in the next net session after christmas. thanks guys.:D

Give it a whirl, but mine is self taught and I'm only a part-time offspinner so there is probably better way to do it out there. Mine is like a quicker ball-arm ball.

well from what i've picked up an arm ball is meant to be a quicker... m,ine will probably just earn me a long walk from the nets if you know what i mean, pretty much the main weapon i use is loop, cause that gets the batsman unsure of where his feet are sometimes and it will rip back through them...

T.A Offspinner;381747 said:
well from what i've picked up an arm ball is meant to be a quicker... m,ine will probably just earn me a long walk from the nets if you know what i mean, pretty much the main weapon i use is loop, cause that gets the batsman unsure of where his feet are sometimes and it will rip back through them...

Yeah, but mine doesn't swing enough and almost becomes just a quicker ball. :p

I struggle to get any loop or drift, which are my main deficiencies in becoming anything more than a part-timer. I either dart it in, or use my height to get a lot of bounce.

You have to get in pretty early as an offie in the innings to make the arm ball really effective with some good shine and some laquer still on the ball. It might swing at higher speeds when it gets older, but because the speed is lower there is reduced swing, meaning the cut off point for it is when the ball is much newer than for a paceman.

When you bowl off breaks, use the shiny side as well to gain extra drift.

it's really just about how your action is, if you put down darts that's also a good thing cause your not dependent on it turning a long way for your wickets...

Just in general. I have drills that I do by myself, but when I'm bowling in the nets I don't seem to actually try and accomplish something.

uh well i think of a shot i want the batsman to play, then i bowl untill i draw that shot 5 times in a row consistantly, then i'll move onto a new shot... If i'm by myself and want to work on turn i get masking tape and measure 1 ft outside offstump and try and bowl outside that line and turn it back to hit the wickets, i'll find myself hitting the same spot on the wicket and getting the ball to turn more and more i stay there, if i was training line and length i put an ice-cream container lid on the spot i want to hit and go in ten ball lots and see how many out of ten i can get...

I haven't thought about using that first idea before, trying to draw a batsman into a shot.

Thanks for that.

well that's how alot of my wickets work, they get constantly drawn into the same shot and they get lazy and then you hit them with something else like a topspinner or quicker ball (very good to produce the edge)

I agree there. Haven't used it in a drill situation before. That should help very much with accuracy as well because often I find it difficult to find the right line and length to each new batsman to start with, so if I go from finding a spot on the pitch and working on it, to finding a spot on the pitch that draws out a certain spot, I can then work on it more accurately.

Back