Off Spinning Guide

Re: Off Spinning Guide

I'm mainly a pace bowler, but i bowl offies on occasion in the nets and even once in a game, where i picked up 2-18. A problem i have is accuracy. When i bowl them over the wicket, they seem to go well wide of off stump, and because i dont spin them a lot, that can be a problem. Also, the occasional one goes down the leg side, but that could just be because i dont bowl them too often

When i bowl them around the wicket, i get more turn, but 60% of the time they pich well outside off (i believe this is just me trying too hard to get them a little outside off) or, down the leg side. I would like to develop them as an option for when they are needed, or just when i get too old, and i bowl too slow

ZacDuggan;387481 said:
I'm mainly a pace bowler, but i bowl offies on occasion in the nets and even once in a game, where i picked up 2-18. A problem i have is accuracy. When i bowl them over the wicket, they seem to go well wide of off stump, and because i dont spin them a lot, that can be a problem. Also, the occasional one goes down the leg side, but that could just be because i dont bowl them too often

When i bowl them around the wicket, i get more turn, but 60% of the time they pich well outside off (i believe this is just me trying too hard to get them a little outside off) or, down the leg side. I would like to develop them as an option for when they are needed, or just when i get too old, and i bowl too slow

I would just say to keep at it. Get someone who half knows what they are looking for to look at your action and get a generalised thumbs up or down and then the key is practice.

A lot of finger spin is just experimentation. It's not a deadset art, just improvisation. If you think something is going to make you more accurate, then try it. Run it through in your head and if it looks like working, then it just might.

Accuracy will come with practice, so if you want this option it would be a good idea to maybe use bowling spin as a warm down in the nets, and/or when you run out of steam after bowling for an hour straight a training or whatever. Just squeeze them in and try hard with them, you should get the accuracy.

thanks for the advice Boris, bowled them at training toward the end, and was turning and landing them well (for a part timer) and had a top six left hander's edge and beat him a few times, so im fairly happy with how they are coming. I've even incorporated them into my bowling pace, using the same action for my slower ball off cutter, affectionately known club wide as d!ck balls, coz thats where they go lol, so im fairly happy atm

I must say, for a pace bowler, bowling spin is a pretty good way to start the warming down process from my limited knowledge of it.

As a part timer all you want to do at this stage in time is just try everything and anything in hope of the batsman doing something stupid against you. I know you are most likely not going to be bowling in matches, but if it comes to it you have to have some little plans.

Just things like full, back of length a little, try and turn it lots, backspinner, stock ball, slow loopy ball is a good over packed with everything. Part timers aren't going to be on for 10 overs straight so you have to be impatient and try everything in the two or three overs you have, that's what you are there for. Don't be afriad to make things up as you go along and don't do what I do and get stuck on bowling the same delivery every single ball for the entire match.

ZacDuggan;388061 said:
thanks for the advice Boris, bowled them at training toward the end, and was turning and landing them well (for a part timer) and had a top six left hander's edge and beat him a few times, so im fairly happy with how they are coming. I've even incorporated them into my bowling pace, using the same action for my slower ball off cutter, affectionately known club wide as d!ck balls, coz thats where they go lol, so im fairly happy atm

If you have a problem with direction it is almost always to do with your feet (i.e. balance), or the path your arm takes.

Hence ask yourself a few questions:

i) Is your bowling arm fully extending back, then fully extending forward and towards the place you want to land the ball?

ii) Do you follow through with your bowling arm?

iii) How do you shift your weight? Do you begin with weight on your back foot, then transfer all of the weight to the front foot? Do you do it quickly?

Iv) Perhaps most important.... is all your weight on the balls of your feet? Essential for balance.

Good luck

Excellent stuff. I'm new to cricket although not young and am attempting to learn off-spin and trying to remember the run up, jump, braced leg and pivot- let alone the spin! Harder than i thought.

You need to have a look at the drills in the David Freedman video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhnPiWob0QI - there's a bloke here who does the drill along a line on a football pitch- this action I think is more Off-spin than leg spin, but be aware that he over - rotates, you should only rotate 180 degrees. But you need some of the Offies to have a look at this and confirm it. There's stacks off Off-spin stuff on youtube.

I don't, having bowled Chinaman for a while I found it difficult enough to do there. They're difficult to disguise, so I choose not to. My variations are fairly simple for the most part, quicker one, arm ball, although I bowl one out of the palm of my hand, much like a zooter I suppose. I bowl one that goes the other way, but not too difficult to pick as I bring my index finger down the side of the ball. Gets the batsman a bit confused, but not the most threatening delivery in the world!

Had a decent enough net last night, tried to get a couple of "doosras" (I use the term very loosely) going but they just kept coming out as full tosses. Best place to learn I suppose though! I get naff all purchase off the mats either so I was quite happy to see a few turning a decent amount! Didn't try a lot else though, no arm balls or anything, couple of quicker balls. All in all, decent enough net!

Had a decent enough net last night, tried to get a couple of "doosras" (I use the term very loosely) going but they just kept coming out as full tosses. Best place to learn I suppose though! I get naff all purchase off the mats either so I was quite happy to see a few turning a decent amount! Didn't try a lot else though, no arm balls or anything, couple of quicker balls. All in all, decent enough net!

Sounds good, need to get some other fingers spinners involved so that they can fully empathise with you!

Sounds good, need to get some other fingers spinners involved so that they can fully empathise with you!
You called for a finger spinner? :)

How do you bowl your "doosra"?

I've had a go at a more proper version of one but found them very hard on the shoulder, you really do need wrists and shoulders like Murali to make them work properly.

I've settled for a sort of carrom ball, except not quite. Not entirely sure what you would call it, but then again I've never met anybody that actually bowls it. I find it very effective because even if the batsman can pick it you can simply bowl it with exactly the same action and it will spin like an off spinner, a sort of double bluff.

Yeah, having watched Ashwin bowl yesterday it's almost identical to his, but with the opposite hand. It's more of a carrom ball than a doosra. It's good enough to fool a couple of 1st teamers at Uni, which I'll settle for. Used it once in a match, shin high full toss, hits a car on its way down, thanks for coming. It's not the hardest to pick, but it's certainly not like you can call it straight away!

Also, finally you've returned! I thought it had been a while since you'd posted in here, I thought finger spinners really WERE dying out!

I flick the carrom ball out with my middle finger. I have a picture and explanation somewhere on the site, couldn't be bothered looking for it now but I'm pretty sure the thread is call "Carrom Ball".

A lot of the time with the variations like the doosra, Carrom, arm ball, back spinner you will over pitch because you'd just spent a while bowling loopier flighted off breaks, then you try and dart one in and you bowl it with the same trajectory and speed.

I think by now I could put together a pretty comprehensive and helpful guide to off spinning to add to this thread. Think there's any worth in me doing so?

Agreed on the overpitching, it's something that would need to be practised to work out the length you need to bowl them! Yeah I reckon it'd be worth adding something like that, it'd be a very good read no doubt!

Back