Off Spinning Guide

Re: Off Spinning Guide

To spinners I stay in my crease mostly. I have very quick reflexes so I tend to hedge my bets on being able to move my light bat in time to cover spin to allow me to play the back foot shots I am good at more often. I also have a baseball background so if I have anything that sits up and about waist height outside off stump I can choose to hit it behind square or anywhere from covers to mid wicket with a baseball shot, and the unorthodox method brings me a lot of runs that I have never gotten out to.

To pace bowling I often find myself walking at the bowler unknowingly... it just happens and in the occasion when I am in an intimidative mood and my inner Hayden comes out. I do skip down the pitch to fast bowlers as well, but only if I can really be sure of the length. Unorthodox much...

well it might be wierd but my batting style is increddibly like yours apart from the fact that i don't walk out un-willingly, I only do it if i've faced an over or two and they're bowling consistantly in the same area then i wait till jus before their delivery stride and then i'll go, make sure i'm on the front foot and swing like all hell... it works I hit a six over midwicket that didn't go more than 10 meters off the ground...

I have two very different mindsets. I'm either scoring like crazy or I'm not scoring at all. I once got a 62 ball duck, whereas my second highest score of 54 came off 33 balls, and we had no need for fast scoring, just felt like it on the day.

Also have a reputation for being able to pull anything. The blokes say I could pull a yorker successfully. My first shot is almost always a pull, kinda like Ian Healy's obsession with cutting every single ball. :D

i have a need to play down the ground until they put a fielder there...

and wow a 62 ball duck, we had someone on our team who opened and batted all game till the end and got 16 runs...

It's a bit different this thread because the two of us are just about the only full time offies on the site, unlike the wrist spinners thread where they seem to be breeding like rabbits :p

It will never die though.

As a point of curiosity have you ever bowled anything else?

Sorry lads we're butting in with this...........

T.A Offspinner;382965 said:
YouTube - Johan Botha Chucking against Australia?

to me thaT'S a chuck, but to some it's not.

here's murali's

YouTube - Murali traps Grame Thorpe with a doosra

so take a look at them and tell me what you think...

EDIT: as an added bonus here's mushtaq's YouTube - Saqlain Mushtaq - Doosra Against Gilchrist and Martyn

Tom It looks like Botha is turning his arm and wrist the convential way and is simply chucking it.

Geez... I didn't even notice that. I'd been looking for one and was considering starting one myself. Oops... little embarresing. Shows my skills at reseaching :p

ahh your really asking two qustions there.

have i been stupid enough to bowl anything else?

and

Have i been good enough at something else to bowl it?

there was a period where everyone at my club was just constantly hating offspinners and me being 1 of 3 decided the only way i was going to get a bowl was to switch to pace seeing as i was hopeless at wrist spin and I bowled mediums for around a year but i got some vicious outswing so i was kind of successful with that.

now we come into the stupdity part, In a match where we knew we had no chance (we posted 32 off 40 overs) I opened the bowling with legspin and an umberella field, co-incidently on the first ball i got their opener caught at bat pad so not a complete failure, but they beat us before our first change bowlers where on...

so yes i have bowled different things but to not much success, considering with offspin i'll take around 30 odd wickets in a season of one-dayers, and bowling mediums i took under 10...

Good to know you found your niche. Some people I know, even myself to an extent, still are not sure where they should be.

I still rip down some pace every second game because I was given the gift of raw pace in pretty much everything I do, I throw at about 140 km/h, Baseball pitch at 145 and have't measured my bowling, but when it gets to the batsman they are saying 100/110 to match me with other bowlers who have theirs measured. The only problem is my control and because I have bowled off spin all my life due to my love of the trade, I have applied myself to it and really worked at it.

But unfortunately wanting to see a batsman fall over backwards when you bounce them sometimes overrules my want to wittle a batsman to their death ball by ball, so I'm caught bowling pace when I shoud be doing drills...

well spin was almost my only option cause my mediums are only around 70-80 km's but spin came relativly easy to me...

this may be very far off topic but holy crap i'd love a bat made by jullian millchamp, not just a store-bought one but to go to his workshop and have him make is espescially for me...

Not sure who that Millchamp is actually.

Personally I would like a bat to start with... my old trusty has given signs its days are coming to an end.

Everyone can bowl spin, it's just that some shouldn't.

I now will embark on getting a bat from him too! Thanks for showing me that, had no idea that company existed.

At my new club a 'spinner' was already in the side, but conveniently he also bats at no.4 and bowls no better than you would expect your average no.4 to. It's taking me a bit to get up the pecking order now to even get a bowl. The only time I have bowled so far in three games is when there is a big partnership and the captain switches and changes to get a wicket, so the only batsmen I'm bowling to are ones that are set and in full stride. I have two wickets and an economy of 2.3 rpo, average of 5.75 from 5 overs in one dayers and this other bowler, who has 4 wickets from 26 overs is still being bowled ahead of me. And I also have to prove to them that my fielding is at its best in the slips, one season I was taking a catch per match on average in the slips and is also where I dislocated my shoulder taking, if I can say so myself, a great catch in a full stretch dive. But at this club the oldest, slowest and laziest field there because they have a hierachial ranking ahead of everyone. Now I appear to be fielding at mid on and taking shots at the stumps every second ball I get to keep myself entertained, mid on is a bad spot to field. Third man is even better.

well It's like that at our club with some differences.

the main one is that they favour pace bowling no matter what yet me and the other spin bowler practically carry the team wicket taking wise, although i do keep my spot at first slip fairly well cemented...

that does seem a bit unfair about the second guy coming in and stealing your thunder, If he's doing well for the team batting wise the captain is going to favour him simply because they think that batting form means all round form.

basically the nature of captaincy in club cricket unless your in first grade is useless, it's simple a boys club that you can't get into unless your over 50, have a beer gut bigger than boonys and you can only field in slips so theres no running involved...

by the way, I honestly fell in love his bats after i picked one up and used in a net session at a tournament for interdistrict, they are superb...

Yeah club cricket is always going to be not so proffesional, and that is a very, very good thing. It's just when players at a low level are trying to play proffessionally and not just there to have fun. Then we get guys like our captain who used to play for Queensland (1 OD match). He was good, but coming on 57 he now averages 23 in C Grade batting at 3, so far me batting at 7 I average 21...

He treats everything like it is the one domestic match he played and even starts yelling at players on the field, but only those who he hasn't played cricket with for years. There are three older guys including him, and the other two are great people and players, and he extracts everything he can from them. Bowling them for at least 5 overs each almost every match and then have them batting all within the top five. Our number 11 is usually the guy who he likes the least.

My old club on the Sunshine Coast was brilliant. We played socially, even the A Grade matches. There was laughter non stop and there wasn't any serious sledging. Occasionally there was a bit of a firey get together between a batsman and bowler, but that is cricket and everything was kept within the spirit of the game, my new club everyone sledges non stop and even arguments erupt between players. On the coast as well we were one of the best teams at that level in south east Queesland, often being selected to go away to other regions for fun matches as season openers and winning state wide.

If a youngster came through we would quizz them on what they are and what they have done. My first match with them I was fielding at first slip and stayed there for the entire time, the captain of 23 years there captains to his fullest ability and gives everyone a go within reason, not just giving the number 11 a chance to open because he wants to, but maybe putting him up to 5 to let him have his chance.

I played with them for 4 years, and my last half season with them I was captaining, despite there being older more experienced players there. This had to do with some pull of my father who is a bit of a legend amongst the town, but he isn't in the committee anyway. I'm glad to say I have an 80% win rate too :D, and would be vice captain now that the captain has returned.

The place I have moved now is arguably the best town in Queensland, but the cricket is pretty dismal. Is yours anything like this or have I been spoilt over my first years in club cricket?

well my club is really a blend between the two, the two 3rd grade teams are like your first 4 years, our 4ths are two seperate halves there's the contingency that likes to have fun and whatnot, and there are the ****ers who play to win at all costs, apart from dropping sitters that the people that play to have fun bowl.

the second grade is also pretty good, I'm either spend my time playing in it but not too often during the rep season cause i have to travel to places for district and regionals, Our first grade side Is really a good blend, they don't care if they don't win, they like it but it's not everything...

but still your club now no offense sound like a bunch of self absorbed pricks... IMO. could be different i dunno

ON TOPIS CONVO TIME!!!

I'm having a shit load of trouble with my topspinner i actually can't bowl it anymore... any ideas?

None taken... I think the reason they don't like me as much is because what I'm thinking (self absorbed pricks) seems to spill over into my conversing with them :p

I'm going to suggest something here. You should repost that question over in the Finger Spin thread on the Bowling and Fielding board and I will post in reply on there. That way there are some other off spinners on there to offer their opinions too. :)

Back